Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Even if Christians set December 25th as Christmas based on Saturnalia, Christmas is still a Christian holiday, in my opinion.

It's influenced by other religions and cultures, but Christmas is Christian.

Even though I disagree with your agreement towards the idea that Christmas was originally based on Saturnalia, I'm extraordinarily jubilant that you see the present intent of Christmas as Christian over the conviction of its alleged roots in paganism.

I can see where you'd think I was saying so, but I never said I believe Christmas was originally based on Saturnalia. I only said "even if" because I'm not closed to the idea that Christmas was set on the date of December 25th since the date was already a pagan holiday, and doing so would not eliminate a holiday in the process of bringing new religion to the Roman population. If that's the case, then it was a smart move.

And again it wouldn't make the holiday any more pagan, in my opinion, and it wouldn't take away from Christmas.

The date WAS based on Saturnalia, even alot fo the traditions (evergreens, holly and teh such) I think anyone would be hard pressed to argue a Dec 25th birthday for Jesus, but it doesn't change the object of worship. It's just a good time to celebrate, so we co-opted it.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k