Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Many of these anti-Christmas stories seem to be either not true at all or exagerated. It seems to be a theme this year among conservative pundits.

How is it an exageration to say a school will allow other religous/holiday decorations/imagry, but not Christian?

It seems more like liberals are in denial of what's really going on with all the anti Christian things.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I'm not worrying until the government says Christians can't get married.

We all wear a green carnation.
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Anti-Thanksmasite!

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I prefer Chrismakkah, even though I am not Jewish.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm gonna invent my own hoilday.

I shall call it...Eastmas!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You get Easter candy and Christmas gifts all at once!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Hallogiving!

Halloween candy, and Thanksgiving turkey!

Turkey for dinner, candy for dessert!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

MisterJLA said:
I'm gonna invent my own hoilday.

I shall call it...Eastmas!

Eastover works better, since they're temporally close, like Christmas and Chanukkah.

You could do Thanksween.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Let me ask Rob, and I'll get back to you!

500+ posts
500+ posts
How about St. Patrentine's day? Give an box of Irish chocolates to the one you love the most if you're feeling lucky!

Eddie Guerrero said
"I've been here before. Backed into a corner, another huge obstacle, time to make a choice. You seem to be a bit preoccupied, Brock. You're not gonna be facing Eddie Guerrero the opponent tonight. You're gonna be facing Latino Heat!! They say there's No Way Out. I can think of at least one, ese (sp?). Can you?"
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
all I'm saying is, it's ass backwards to work on Labor Day. I mean, come on!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
ArbLabor Day!

You skip work, but have to plant a tree!

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
does it matter what type of tree?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
No! Just plant a tree, and take the day off!

President's Day meets Labor Day =

President'sor Day!

Spend the day off reading about Washington and Lincoln, BUT, you must submit a book report to your boss the next day!

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Many of these anti-Christmas stories seem to be either not true at all or exagerated. It seems to be a theme this year among conservative pundits.

How is it an exageration to say a school will allow other religous/holiday decorations/imagry, but not Christian?

It seems more like liberals are in denial of what's really going on with all the anti Christian things.

That particular story may be true but you'll notice the students notified the principle of their rights & they did put the nativity picture up. This article http://mediamatters.org/items/200412100006 details a bunch of stories from FOX & other sources that are doing anti-Christmas stories that leave out a few things. Those kinds of stories are really just promoting an agenda that has very little to do with Jesus. Merry Christmas BTW!

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Please try to stay on topic, MEM.

Thank you.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
That particular story may be true but you'll notice the students notified the principle of their rights & they did put the nativity picture up. This article http://mediamatters.org/items/200412100006 details a bunch of stories from FOX & other sources that are doing anti-Christmas stories that leave out a few things. Those kinds of stories are really just promoting an agenda that has very little to do with Jesus. Merry Christmas BTW!

If that article about FOX is true, that's just sick. Like I need more reason to hate journalists and the way they manipulate people.

And to think I used to want to be one.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

"[t]he policy permits what it calls secular holiday decorations, including 'Christmas trees, menorahs and the star and crescent,'

This just goes to show how they plead stupidity, menorahs are a religous symbol. It's a symbol of the Jewish faith. Depending on the shape of the star, a star can be either secular, Jewish or christian. I can go on and on pointing out the flaw in that comment, and no I'm not taking it out of context, and no I don't need to post the rest of the sentence, that's the part that bares quoteing and point out the inacuracy of that.

As for Fox news, I don't rely on them for my news source, I liten to the radio and have heard plenty on local radio, as well as check my home page which I'm logged into SBC Yahoo.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

MisterJLA said:
Please try to stay on topic, MEM.

Thank you.

Happy B-day!

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
If that article about FOX is true, that's just sick. Like I need more reason to hate journalists and the way they manipulate people.

And to think I used to want to be one.

Well any profession has the good & the bad. I just think it's sucky to essentially take something like Christmas & turn it into a conservative VS liberal thing. Doesn't seem very Christmas like at all.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
Quote:

"[t]he policy permits what it calls secular holiday decorations, including 'Christmas trees, menorahs and the star and crescent,'

This just goes to show how they plead stupidity, menorahs are a religous symbol. It's a symbol of the Jewish faith. Depending on the shape of the star, a star can be either secular, Jewish or christian....

Actually looking at past Supreme Court decisions I would agree with you. They can do a nativity scene as long as they also include other religous symbols like a menorah. The school board shouldn't have equated a menorah to a Christmas tree.

Fair play!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
You can't surreptitiously burn things down with a skillfully-wielded Christmas tree.

Well, you could try, but it'd be a lot harder to keep a good grip on once it was burning.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Most of the holiday display menorahs I've seen are gigantic with no open flame

Fair play!
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
This just goes to show how they plead stupidity, menorahs are a religous symbol. It's a symbol of the Jewish faith.

Actually, they're not.

Menorahs don't really have any major religious value. They're not sacred to us. They're candle-holders, and nothing more. There are rules and specifications as to what makes a menorah acceptable to use on Hannukah, but other than that, they have no major religious significance.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
*sings* "I can feel the Christmas spirit in the air, I can feel the Christmas spirit everywhere." So not a famous song...got it from the church play I was in sixth grade!

Yeah I feel all Christmasy now that its snowing and stuff outside *YEAHS!!!!!!*

Love the cartoon G!

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
I wasn't sure where else to put this.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I decided this year not to celebrate Christmas anymore.

I don't feel I'm being true to my beliefs by participating in a religious holiday when I'm not religious, even if the general masses have adopted it.

I'm just going to think of it as the Winter Season break.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Here.

Read.

Quote:

December 19, 2004

COMMENTARY
Pardon My Values, but Merry Christmas to All
What's with all the PC drivel from Christians?

COMMENTARY
By Gary Lawrence
Gary Lawrence is a Republican pollster in Orange County who celebrates Christmas with his Mormon congregation.

If some calamity punches holes in our records and books, and leaves in its wake only fragments, have you ever wondered what archeologists several centuries down the road will deduce about this holiday we call Christmas? I predict they will speak with certainty of a civilization that worshiped flying reindeer, bemoaned Grandma getting run over by them, and fretted about one with a red nose beset by sibling rivalry issues.

With professorial pomposity, they will prattle on about our elves, snowmen, bells, trees, toys, gingerbread and eggnog. And they won't have the foggiest notion about what put the whole holiday in motion in the first place.

Not that there's anything wrong with elves, snowmen and bells. But isn't it time to recognize one overwhelming fact? The pseudo-serious buzz we hear each year about recapturing the "true meaning of Christmas" originates among the same demographic category that helps block it from happening: Christians themselves.

Eighty-two percent of us are Christians in this nation, but we're wimps. Too many of us have stopped saying Merry Christmas. My Jewish friends will say it to me. But Christians offer up PC drivel about Happy Holidays. Happy Holidays? Humbug. Happy's for January through November; December is for Merry. As in Merry Christmas.

If my Jewish friends are comfortable wishing me a Merry Christmas, but my fellow Christians aren't, there's something wrong in Christendom.

All of which reminds me of something Ted Koppel did on ABC's "Nightline" 22 years ago. He signed off his Christmas Eve program this way:

"Those of us who work at this profession of journalism are rarely at such a loss for words as when someone asks us to define the nature of news. Usually we mumble something about the importance of an event — or its relevance or timeliness; hoping all the while that no one will ask "important or relevant to whom?" As for timeliness, all that means, of course, is that something happened recently. Well, the event that Christians around the world celebrate this evening and tomorrow did not, of course, happen recently. It was relevant (at the time) to only the tiniest handful of people; and as for its importance, I think most of us in the news business would have to concede that, had we been there nineteen hundred and eighty-two years ago in Bethlehem, we would probably have overlooked the event. Which says something about what's news — and what's important. From all of us at 'Nightline,' Merry Christmas."

If the Jewish anchor of "Nightline" can wish his audience Merry Christmas, why can't Christians? If I say Merry Christmas to someone who gets offended because he thinks I'm "pushing my values," isn't that evidence that he has a very weak value structure?

Imagine the reverse situation. If someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanzaa, would I be offended? Absolutely not. I would take it as a compliment on my openness.

As always, what was news and what was important were in stark contrast this year. We had plenty of news, but lost track of what's important.

It was a year of the most hateful political campaigns that I have seen in 36 years as a political pollster. The diatribes of 2004 ridiculed, demeaned and trivialized religious belief and attacked those who defer to a higher power, as opposed to those who believe that human intellect is the highest hope for mankind.

And yet, despite these attacks on their beliefs, too many Christians hesitate to express a simple greeting rooted in the second-most important event in Christian history — one that carries with it the promise of peace on Earth and goodwill toward all. Isn't it time to take a stand?

Merry Christmas, everyone.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
Quote:

Batwoman said:
This just goes to show how they plead stupidity, menorahs are a religous symbol. It's a symbol of the Jewish faith.

Actually, they're not.

Menorahs don't really have any major religious value. They're not sacred to us. They're candle-holders, and nothing more. There are rules and specifications as to what makes a menorah acceptable to use on Hannukah, but other than that, they have no major religious significance.

True, but it's associted with the holiday just like Christmas tress are a (secular) symbol of Christmas, and mangers and stars are a symbol of (religous) Christmas.

My point was that they're not hiding the fact that they're allowing other holidays to be shown and yet their banning Christmas. Granted the kids didn't take that lying down and stood up for their rights, and won in the end.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

whomod said:
Here.

Read.

Quote:

December 19, 2004

COMMENTARY

COMMENTARY
By Gary Lawrence
Gary Lawrence is a Republican pollster in Orange County who celebrates Christmas with his Mormon congregation.

If some calamity punches holes in our records and books, and leaves in its wake only fragments, have you ever wondered what archeologists several centuries down the road will deduce about this holiday we call Christmas? I predict they will speak with certainty of a civilization that worshiped flying reindeer, bemoaned Grandma getting run over by them, and fretted about one with a red nose beset by sibling rivalry issues.

With professorial pomposity, they will prattle on about our elves, snowmen, bells, trees, toys, gingerbread and eggnog. And they won't have the foggiest notion about what put the whole holiday in motion in the first place.

Not that there's anything wrong with elves, snowmen and bells. But isn't it time to recognize one overwhelming fact? The pseudo-serious buzz we hear each year about recapturing the "true meaning of Christmas" originates among the same demographic category that helps block it from happening: Christians themselves.

Eighty-two percent of us are Christians in this nation, but we're wimps. Too many of us have stopped saying Merry Christmas. My Jewish friends will say it to me. But Christians offer up PC drivel about Happy Holidays. Happy Holidays? Humbug. Happy's for January through November; December is for Merry. As in Merry Christmas.

If my Jewish friends are comfortable wishing me a Merry Christmas, but my fellow Christians aren't, there's something wrong in Christendom.

All of which reminds me of something Ted Koppel did on ABC's "Nightline" 22 years ago. He signed off his Christmas Eve program this way:

"Those of us who work at this profession of journalism are rarely at such a loss for words as when someone asks us to define the nature of news. Usually we mumble something about the importance of an event — or its relevance or timeliness; hoping all the while that no one will ask "important or relevant to whom?" As for timeliness, all that means, of course, is that something happened recently. Well, the event that Christians around the world celebrate this evening and tomorrow did not, of course, happen recently. It was relevant (at the time) to only the tiniest handful of people; and as for its importance, I think most of us in the news business would have to concede that, had we been there nineteen hundred and eighty-two years ago in Bethlehem, we would probably have overlooked the event. Which says something about what's news — and what's important. From all of us at 'Nightline,' Merry Christmas."

If the Jewish anchor of "Nightline" can wish his audience Merry Christmas, why can't Christians? If I say Merry Christmas to someone who gets offended because he thinks I'm "pushing my values," isn't that evidence that he has a very weak value structure?

Imagine the reverse situation. If someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanzaa, would I be offended? Absolutely not. I would take it as a compliment on my openness.

As always, what was news and what was important were in stark contrast this year. We had plenty of news, but lost track of what's important.

It was a year of the most hateful political campaigns that I have seen in 36 years as a political pollster. The diatribes of 2004 ridiculed, demeaned and trivialized religious belief and attacked those who defer to a higher power, as opposed to those who believe that human intellect is the highest hope for mankind.

And yet, despite these attacks on their beliefs, too many Christians hesitate to express a simple greeting rooted in the second-most important event in Christian history — one that carries with it the promise of peace on Earth and goodwill toward all. Isn't it time to take a stand?

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

I guess I don't see it as Christians being "too PC". If they want to say Merry Christmas to fellow Christians, great. I just think that if a person is speaking to a person of a particular faith, and wishes to acknowledge that person's beliefs, they should use the expression that fits. Saying "Happy Holidays" is just a way of covering all the bases.

It applies to everyone. If I'm speaking to a Jewish person, I'll say Happy Hanakkah. If I'm speaking to a Christian person, I'll say Merry Christmas. If I'm speaking to Frank Costanza, I'll say Jovial Festivus.

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
i don't care for using christmas alot. i more care to use holiday season.

i mean, there's nothing that says that "jesus" was born in december. christmas trees, misale toe amoung other things were taken from pagans to compete with winter solestice.

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:

I guess I don't see it as Christians being "too PC". If they want to say Merry Christmas to fellow Christians, great. I just think that if a person is speaking to a person of a particular faith, and wishes to acknowledge that person's beliefs, they should use the expression that fits. Saying "Happy Holidays" is just a way of covering all the bases.

It applies to everyone. If I'm speaking to a Jewish person, I'll say Happy Hanakkah. If I'm speaking to a Christian person, I'll say Merry Christmas. If I'm speaking to Frank Costanza, I'll say Jovial Festivus.

I thought it might interest a few people here. I certainly understand your POV. Why assume everyone celebrated the holiday I did in a month containing multiple religious feasts? Why say something that might make someone feel left out in a season of supposed goodwill?

So I totally agree with you. To Christians, I'll say Merry Christmas. To Jewish people, i'd say Happy Hanukah or simply Happy Holidays. As with the cheerleader story I just posted, It's all a matter of showing the same respect you wish others to show you.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

whomod said:
Here.

Read.

Quote:

December 19, 2004

COMMENTARY

COMMENTARY
By Gary Lawrence

I concur.

Don't... tell... anyone.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Who says this isn't the season of miracles?!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
December 25 is a federal, as well as religious, holiday.

People get the day off, even if they aren't Christian.

So, to me, saying "Merry Christmas" is simply saying "enjoy your Dec 25 holiday."

I don't know why, short of over-sensitivity, that should be offensive.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
like i would give a fuck if someone said happy hannaku to me, i think people need to quit being such crybaby panzies about everything....im not jewish but i can see no harm done to me if someone says that to me......

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
To point something out to Animal Man.

You don't always know what religion a person is just by looking at them. For instance, take a retail worker, and speaking as someone that spent 6 years working in reatail I'm speaking from expereince here....

If I were to wish someone a Merry Chirstmas I'm not pushing my religious beliefs down anyones throats and forcing threm to go to church or anything, I'm 1, stating my freedom in this county to show my support of my religous holiday, and 2, pointing out that it's the Christmas season, to me at least. I don't know just by looking at someone if they're Christians, Jews, Wican, Athiests, Egnostics, etc.

The world in general has become overly sensitive, you can't say anything without offending someone because some higher up is easily offended/overly sensitive, and there for forcing the rest of us to walk on eggshells because they can't handle people expressing themselves in a non offensive yet perfectly normal way.

The way people are forcing the holiday season to be secular is just more proof that people are forcing the world in general to being more secular. Whatever happend to freedom of religion in this country? It doesn't seem to exsits anymore because I keep hearing stories of legitimate lawsuits or whatver, against Christians or Christiainity in general, especially this time of year.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
To point something out to Animal Man.

You don't always know what religion a person is just by looking at them.

I realize that. That's why I mentioned this in my last post:

Quote:

Saying "Happy Holidays" is just a way of covering all the bases.

Quote:

The world in general has become overly sensitive, you can't say anything without offending someone because some higher up is easily offended/overly sensitive, and there for forcing the rest of us to walk on eggshells because they can't handle people expressing themselves in a non offensive yet perfectly normal way.

I'd have to say you're right, but that's the way things are. I'm certainly not offended if someone tells me Merry Christmas or Happy Kwanzaa or whatever. I think it's just a matter of going the extra mile to respect the beliefs of others. You can choose to do it or not to do it.

Quote:

The way people are forcing the holiday season to be secular is just more proof that people are forcing the world in general to being more secular. Whatever happend to freedom of religion in this country? It doesn't seem to exsits anymore because I keep hearing stories of legitimate lawsuits or whatver, against Christians or Christiainity in general, especially this time of year.

I'm not sure what the debate between saying Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah has to do with secularism....

People have every right to express their religious beliefs as individuals, that hasn't changed.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
No it hasn't, but "what the debate between saying Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah has to do with secularism...."
is as I said. There is a huge trend, or whatever you want to call it, of secularizing everything, and it's wrong.

Christians have 2 holidays, 3 if you count Good Friday, and our big/major holiday is Christmas and there are more and more people fighting us tooth and nail when it comes to religious displays, or saying something as simple as Merry Christmas. It was bad enough that prayer was taken out of school and that there are people who fight schools when they either allow teachers/students to have prayer setions in school or have Christian after school clubs, or fill in the blank. THAT is what the big deal is with saying something as simple as Merry Christmas or Happy Channuka. By getting fired up about that and saying it's wrong for us to do it, then why have freedom of religion at all? (most) Christians are respectful of others on a daily basis, why is it that when we want to express ourselves by saying something as simple as God bless you, or Merry Christmas or whatever, then people cry fowl and will take us to court or something just as stupid? THAT is what's wrong with this country, this world. It's over sensitivity no thanks to the really stupid politcally correct movement.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard