Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
I hate to burst your bubble g-man but taxes dont really have alot to do with the price of gas. i live on the border of ohio/ky, and close to indiana, gas costs roughly the same withing 2 or 3 cents, ohios tax is 24 cents p gallon, ky 16, indiana 18, why are pump prices the same? not taxes. the oil companies have found the ceiling they can charge and do, if it wasnt gouging i could get gas 8 cents cheaper a gallon in ky.

The neither proves nor disproves my point.

No one, least of all me, has claimed that taxes are the only factor in the cost of gas. The only thing we've pointed out is that it is a factor, and one that businesses have virtually no control over.

Also, an eight cents per gallon markup is not "gouging." "Price gouging" means a dramatic increase in the price of a commodity or good. Eight cents a gallon is a fairly small increase, percentage-wise, and approximately half (or less) the cost of the tax, which you claim to be insignificant.

You are, correct, however, when you imply that companies will charge whatever the market will allow, which is, of course, the basic law of supply and demand.