Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22
#536976 2005-07-02 7:09 AM
200+ posts
OP Offline
200+ posts
Tonight, on the syndicated McLaughlin Group political talk show, Lawrence O'Donnell, senior MSNBC political analyst, claimed to know the name of the White House staffer who leaked Valerie Plame's name to the media--and it is, according to him, top White House mastermind Karl Rove.

Quote:

MSNBC Analyst Says Cooper Documents Reveal Karl Rove as Source in Plame Case

Published: July 01, 2005 11:30 PM ET

NEW YORK Now that Time Inc. has turned over documents to federal court, presumably revealing who its reporter, Matt Cooper, identified as his source in the Valerie Plame/CIA case, speculation runs rampant on the name of that source, and what might happen to him or her. Tonight, on the syndicated McLaughlin Group political talk show, Lawrence O'Donnell, senior MSNBC political analyst, claimed to know that name--and it is, according to him, top White House mastermind Karl Rove.

Here is the transcript of O'Donnell's remarks:

"What we're going to go to now in the next stage, when Matt Cooper's e-mails, within Time Magazine, are handed over to the grand jury, the ultimate revelation, probably within the week of who his source is.

"And I know I'm going to get pulled into the grand jury for saying this but the source of...for Matt Cooper was Karl Rove, and that will be revealed in this document dump that Time magazine's going to do with the grand jury."

Other panelists then joined in discussing whether, if true, this would suggest a perjury rap for Rove, if he told the grand jury he did not leak to Cooper.

Now, here is the interesting part. The leak of Valerie's identity as a CIA agent was apparently done to punish Joseph Wilson for challenging Bush's claim that Iraq was importing "Yellow Cake" uranium from Niger.

Since then, the documents Bush cited as proof of the Niger claim have been exposed as clumsy and obvious forgeries, and proof of intent to deceive the public.

So when does the felony treason trail start?

Last edited by PaulWellr; 2006-08-31 9:52 AM.

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa." - George W. Bush State of the Union speech Jan 28, 2003 "mission accomplished" - George W. Bush May 2, 2003 It does not require a majority to prevail but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds". Samuel Adams said that. Pretty deep for a guy that makes beer for a living - The Boondocks "A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead" - Leo C. Rosten
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
First off, if you read the article, as opposed to PW's spin, MSNBC did not report that Rove is guilty.

A commentator, who works for MSNBC, went on another talk show and speculated that Rove was guilty. Not at all the same thing.

Furthermore, even if true that Rove leaked the name, it has been noted on more than one occasion here that this was quite possibly not even a crime.

About three months ago, it was pointed out on these very boards that that the so-called "outing" of Plame was probably not criminal after all:

For example, in the Washington Post:

The nation's largest news organizations and journalism groups [filed a brief in federal court Wednesday arguing that] a federal court should first determine whether a crime has been committed in the disclosure of an undercover CIA operative's name before prosecutors are allowed to continue seeking testimony from journalists about their confidential sources

The 40-page brief, filed in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, argues that there is "ample evidence . . . to doubt that a crime has been committed" in the case, which centers on the question of whether Bush administration officials knowingly revealed the identity of undercover CIA operative Valerie Plame in the summer of 2003.

And according to the NY Times:

...an even more basic issue has been raised...the real possibility that the disclosure of Ms. Plame's identity, while an abuse of power, may not have violated any law. Before any reporters are jailed, searching court review is needed to determine whether the facts indeed support a criminal prosecution under existing provisions of the law protecting the identities of covert operatives.

And in August of last year, I noted the following:
Quote:

under the law , an employee is a "covert agent" for the purposes of the statute if and only if he "is serving outside the United States or has within the last five years served outside the United States."

Given that Plame gave birth to twins in 1999 or 2000, and unlikelihood that the CIA would send a new or expectant mother overseas on a dangerous assignment, one may surmise that Plame was not a covert agent.

So, even if this allegation is true, I think before you hold that "Felony Treason Trial," you need to first have a criminal violation.

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
You know, I did a lot of reading on this story...and I'm still confused to no end on what the heck went on. It's just not computing in CJ's head here...

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

200+ posts
OP Offline
200+ posts
Quote:

Plame Grand Jury Wants Records for Air Force One Phone Calls

By E&P Staff

Published: July 02, 2005 2:35 PM ET

NEW YORK Adding to the growing intrigue in the Plame case, the grand jury investigating the leak of the covert CIA operative's name has subpoenaed a wide range of White House documents, including records of telephone calls from Air Force One and information relating to an internal working group dealing with Iraq, government sources confirmed to CNN on Friday.

"We are complying fully with the request from the Department of Justice," White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters Friday.

Government sources told CNN the federal grand jury was seeking any information about contacts between White House officials and more than two dozen reporters. The grand jury also asked for a transcript of a briefing by former White House spokesman Ari Fleischer.

The subpoenaed information regarding telephone calls to and from Air Force One, sources said, covered July 7-12, while the president was on a trip to Africa. The requested transcript was from a briefing during that trip as well.

Newsday reported that two of the subpoenas dealt mostly with requests for information before and after the publication of Robert Novak's fateful July 14 column, which outed Plame.

Many of the documents subpoenaed Friday relate to the White House Iraq Group, a little-known task force. Newsweek reported that the group was created in August 2002.
The Newsweek report cites an earlier Washington Post article that lists senior political adviser Karl Rove, Bush advisers Karen Hughes and Mary Matalin, national security adviser Condoleezza Rice and Vice President Dick Cheney among the group's members.

The grand jury, which met again Friday, has heard from at least four current or former White House officials. Much of its work recently has also reportedly been to pore over many documents relating to the case.

Rather than taking the word of the right wing perspective G-Man graciously provides ("nothing to see here folks, move along"), i'll just update the grand jury case itself and let you guys make your own conclusions.

Fair?

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa." - George W. Bush State of the Union speech Jan 28, 2003 "mission accomplished" - George W. Bush May 2, 2003 It does not require a majority to prevail but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds". Samuel Adams said that. Pretty deep for a guy that makes beer for a living - The Boondocks "A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead" - Leo C. Rosten
200+ posts
OP Offline
200+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
About three months ago, it was pointed out on these very boards that that the so-called "outing" of Plame was probably not criminal after all:

So, even if this allegation is true, I think before you hold that "Felony Treason Trial," you need to first have a criminal violation.

Quote:

FLASHBACK: Bush about Plame leak, Oct 6, 2003 PM

From WhiteHouse.gov

Q Mr. President, on another issue, the CIA leak-gate. What is your confidence level in the results of the DOJ investigation about any of your staffers not being found guilty or being found guilty? And what do you say to critics of the administration who say that this administration retaliates against naysayers?

PRESIDENT BUSH: First of all, I'm glad you brought that question up. This is a very serious matter, and our administration takes it seriously. As members of the press corps here know, I have, at times, complained about leaks of security information, whether the leaks be in the legislative branch or in the executive branch. And I take those leaks very seriously.

And, therefore, we will cooperate fully with the Justice Department. I've got all the confidence in the world the Justice Department will do a good, thorough job. And that's exactly what I want them to do, is a good, thorough job. I'd like to know who leaked, and if anybody has got any information inside our government or outside our government who leaked, you ought to take it to the Justice Department so we can find out the leaker.

I have told my staff, I want full cooperation with the Justice Department. And when they ask for information, we expect the information to be delivered on a timely basis. I expect it to be delivered on a timely basis. I want there to be full participation, because, April, I am most interested in finding out the truth.

And, you know, there's a lot of leaking in Washington, D.C. It's a town famous for it. And if this helps stop leaks of -- this investigation in finding the truth, it will not only hold someone to account who should not have leaked -- and this is a serious charge, by the way. We're talking about a criminal action, but also hopefully will help set a clear signal we expect other leaks to stop, as well. And so I look forward to finding the truth.

200+ posts
OP Offline
200+ posts
Newsweek just released a story on this. It provides some background on the story for those who aern't as familiar with this case.

Quote:

The Rove Factor?
Time magazine talked to Bush's guru for Plame story.

By Michael Isikoff

Newsweek

July 11 issue - Its legal appeals exhausted, Time magazine agreed last week to turn over reporter Matthew Cooper's e-mails and computer notes to a special prosecutor investigating the leak of an undercover CIA agent's identity. The case has been the subject of press controversy for two years. Saying "we are not above the law," Time Inc. Editor in Chief Norman Pearlstine decided to comply with a grand-jury subpoena to turn over documents related to the leak. But Cooper (and a New York Times reporter, Judith Miller) is still refusing to testify and faces jail this week.

At issue is the story of a CIA-sponsored trip taken by former ambassador (and White House critic) Joseph Wilson to investigate reports that Iraq was seeking to buy uranium from the African country of Niger. "Some government officials have noted to Time in interviews... that Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, is a CIA official who monitors the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction," said Cooper's July 2003 Time online article.

Now the story may be about to take another turn. The e-mails surrendered by Time Inc., which are largely between Cooper and his editors, show that one of Cooper's sources was White House deputy chief of staff Karl Rove, according to two lawyers who asked not to be identified because they are representing witnesses sympathetic to the White House. Cooper and a Time spokeswoman declined to comment. But in an interview with NEWSWEEK, Rove's lawyer, Robert Luskin, confirmed that Rove had been interviewed by Cooper for the article. It is unclear, however, what passed between Cooper and Rove.

The controversy began three days before the Time piece appeared, when columnist Robert Novak, writing about Wilson's trip, reported that Wilson had been sent at the suggestion of his wife, who was identified by name as a CIA operative. The leak to Novak, apparently intended to discredit Wilson's mission, caused a furor when it turned out that Plame was an undercover agent. It is a crime to knowingly reveal the identity of an undercover CIA official. A special prosecutor was appointed and began subpoenaing reporters to find the source of the leak.

Novak appears to have made some kind of arrangement with the special prosecutor, and other journalists who reported on the Plame story have talked to prosecutors with the permission of their sources. Cooper agreed to discuss his contact with Lewis (Scooter) Libby, Vice President Dick Cheney's top aide, after Libby gave him permission to do so. But Cooper drew the line when special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald asked about other sources.

Initially, Fitzgerald's focus was on Novak's sourcing, since Novak was the first to out Plame. But according to Luskin, Rove's lawyer, Rove spoke to Cooper three or four days before Novak's column appeared. Luskin told NEWSWEEK that Rove "never knowingly disclosed classified information" and that "he did not tell any reporter that Valerie Plame worked for the CIA." Luskin declined, however, to discuss any other details. He did say that Rove himself had testified before the grand jury "two or three times" and signed a waiver authorizing reporters to testify about their conversations with him. "He has answered every question that has been put to him about his conversations with Cooper and anybody else," Luskin said. But one of the two lawyers representing a witness sympathetic to the White House told NEWSWEEK that there was growing "concern" in the White House that the prosecutor is interested in Rove. Fitzgerald declined to comment.

In early October 2003, NEWSWEEK reported that immediately after Novak's column appeared in July, Rove called MSNBC "Hardball" host Chris Matthews and told him that Wilson's wife was "fair game." But White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters at the time that any suggestion that Rove had played a role in outing Plame was "totally ridiculous." On Oct. 10, McClellan was asked directly if Rove and two other White House aides had ever discussed Valerie Plame with any reporters. McClellan said he had spoken with all three, and "those individuals assured me they were not involved in this."

© 2005 Newsweek, Inc.

.......... how many minutes until someone attacks the source of this article I wonder.....

In any case, this isn't looking good for Rove.

------------

A War on Wilson?
TIME's Cooper's July 17, 2003 article on the Plame case

Statement of Time Inc. on the Matthew Cooper Case

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Quote:

PaulWellr said:
FLASHBACK: Bush about Plame leak, Oct 6, 2003 PM We're talking about a criminal action,but also hopefully will help set a clear signal we expect other leaks to stop, as well. And so I look forward to finding the truth.

Many investigations start as "criminal actions" but as the evidence is gathered it reveals that no crime, per se, occurred.

Quote:

But according to Luskin, Rove's lawyer...Rove himself had testified before the grand jury "two or three times" and signed a waiver authorizing reporters to testify about their conversations with him.

If Rove is "the source" and, as noted above, Rove had signed a waiver, why would Time have to require a court order to surrender the information?

If the article is accurate, this would seem to indicate that the source is someone other than Rove.

200+ posts
OP Offline
200+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
[
If Rove is "the source" and, as noted above, Rove had signed a waiver, why would Time have to require a court order to surrender the information?

The TIME link I provided at the bottom of my last post provides more insight into TIME's surrendering of the notes. Or at least their spin on the matter. It was done basically to keep their reporter Matthew Cooper out of jail which is where this was headed.

The New York Times should also have some extensive coverage of this story as Judith Miller their pro-Iraq war reporter (the one who's anonymous source for her WMD stories was Ahmed Chalabi) is also facing jail time for failing to cooperate with the grand jury.

Right now i'm pressed for time with weekend family commitments so if anyone wants to research their end of the story, be my guest.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
But Cooper was going to jail in order to avoid revealing his source, correct?

If the source signed a waiver allowing Cooper to testify, there was no reason whatsover for Cooper to refuse to do so.

Rove reportedly signed a waiver.

So that would tend to indicate someone other than Rove, someone who didn't sign a waiver, was Cooper's source.

200+ posts
OP Offline
200+ posts
It sounds logical.

I myself actually believed it was "Scooter" Libby. This Rove bit was completely unexpected albeit more 'newsworthy'.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
But Libby also gave his permission for Cooper to testify, according to the article.

So that would tend to indicate that Libby is also not the source.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Now comes the speculation that the leaker isn't even a government employee at all.
    The Washington Post, declaring Wednesday an "historic" day in the history of the press in America, suggested that perhaps the "leaker" of Valerie Plame's identity as a covert CIa operative was not a Bush administration official but a reporter (or reporters).

In a Wednesday A3 story, Carol Leonnig writes, "Sources close to the investigation say there is evidence in some instances that some reporters may have told government officials -- not the other way around -- that Wilson was married to Plame, a CIA employee."

This case gets stranger by the day.

500+ posts
500+ posts
The following letter, drafted by Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), was issued to other House Democrats for signature this afternoon.

Conyers, the ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, calls on Bush adviser Karl Rove to explain his role in the outing of a CIA agent or resign his office.

Quote:

July 7, 2005

The President
The White House
Washington, DC

Dear Mr. President:

We write in order to urge that you require your Deputy White House Chief of Staff, Karl Rove, to either come forward immediately to explain his role in the Valerie Plame matter or to resign from your Administration.

Notwithstanding whether Mr. Rove intentionally violated the law in leaking information concerning former CIA operative Valerie Plame, we believe it is not tenable to maintain Mr. Rove as one of your most important advisors unless he is willing to explain his central role in using the power and authority of your Administration to disseminate information regarding Ms. Plame and to undermine her husband, Ambassador Joseph Wilson.

We now know that e-mails recently turned over by Time, Inc. between writer Matthew Cooper and Time editors reveal that one of Mr. Cooper’s principal sources in the Plame matter was Mr. Rove. This has been confirmed by Newsweek and two lawyers representing witnesses involved in the investigation. Mr. Rove’s attorney, Robert Luskin, also has confirmed that Mr. Rove was interviewed by Mr. Cooper in connection with a possible article about Ms. Plame three or four days before Robert Novak wrote a column outing Ms. Plame as a CIA operative.

We also know that Mr. Rove told Chris Matthews that Ambassador Wilson’s wife and her undercover status were “fair game.” A White House source also appears to have previously acknowledged that Mr. Rove contacted Mr. Matthews and other journalists, indicating that “it was reasonable to discuss who sent Wilson to Niger.”

The above facts appear to be directly inconsistent with previous statements by you and representatives of your Administration concerning leaking in general and the Plame case in particular. For example, on September 30, 2003, you stated “there’s just too many leaks [in Washington]. And if there is a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is.” You also stated “I want to know the truth. If anybody has got any information inside our administration or outside our administration, it would be helpful if they came forward with the information so we can find out whether or not these allegations are true and get on about the business.” On October 10, 2003, White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan was asked if Mr. Rove or two other aides in your Administration had ever discussed the Plame matter with any reporter, and he stated he had spoken to Mr. Rove and the others and “they assured me that they were not involved in this.”

Regardless of whether these actions violate the law – including specific laws against the disclosure of classified information as well as broader laws against obstruction of justice, the negligent distribution of defense information, and obligating reporting of press leaks to proper authorities – they seem to reveal a course of conduct designed to threaten and intimidate those who provide information critical of your Administration, such as Ambassador Wilson.

We hope you agree with us that such behavior should never be tolerated by any Administration. While it is acceptable for a private citizen to use every legal tool at his or her disposal to protect himself against legal liability, high-ranking members of your Administration who are involved in any effort to smear a private citizen or to disseminate information regarding a CIA operative should be expected to meet a far higher standard of ethical behavior and forthrightness. This is why we believe it is so important that Mr. Rove publicly and fully explain his role in this matter.

Sincerely,

Countdown and the Rove/Plame Game

John Dean - whoever it is, he or she is a huge coward. The fact that they would let someone do this.. This is the sort of thing that mafia people do, that drug kings do. Not someone who is serving the White House as a public servant.

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
500+ posts
500+ posts
Well Judith Miller was sent to jail immediately until she testifies or until the grand jury ends it's term in October.

I have my own reasons for not shedding any tears for Ms. Judith Miller, seeing as how she was one of the main cheerleaders in the press for this war and seeing how she was passing bogus WMD info from Ahmed Chalabi to make the case for war.

From the New York Times:
New York Times Reporter Is Jailed for Keeping Source Secret

Abbreviated story from Yahoo News:
Quote:

Judge orders reporter to jail in CIA leak case

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A judge on Wednesday sent a New York Times reporter to jail after she said she could not reveal her confidential source to a grand jury investigating the leak of a covert CIA operative's name to the media.

Chief U.S. District Judge Thomas Hogan ordered New York Times correspondent Judith Miller to jail immediately and said she must stay there until she agrees to testify or until the end of the grand jury's term in October.

Another case involving Time magazine reporter Matthew Cooper was resolved when he told the judge he had just received the "expressed personal consent" of his source to reveal his identity. "Consequently I am prepared to testify," he said.

Miller told the judge she did not want to go to jail but had no choice but to protect her sources.

"If journalists cannot be trusted to keep confidences, then journalists cannot function and there cannot be a free press," she said.

The grand jury investigation by special counsel Patrick Fitzgerald, a Justice Department prosecutor, seeks to determine who in the Bush administration leaked the name of CIA operative Valerie Plame in 2003 to the media and whether any laws were violated.

Plame's name was leaked, her diplomat husband charged, because of his criticism of the Bush administration's handling of the Iraq war.

Fearing jail time, the other reporter, Matthew Cooper is going to testify though.

From Editor & Publisher, a fairly damning editorial from Bill Israel, a UMass journalism professor who taught with Rove at the University of Texas:

Quote:

[T]he Valerie Plame-CIA case that threatens jail time for reporters from Time and The New York Times this week is the exception that shatters the rule. In this case, journalists as a community have been played for patsies by the president's chief strategist, Karl Rove, and are enabling him to abuse the First Amendment, by their invoking it. [...]

The problem, as always, in dealing with Rove, is establishing a clear chain of culpability. Rove once described himself as a die-hard Nixonite; he is, like the former president, both student and master of plausible deniability. (This past weekend, in confirming that Rove was indeed a source for Matthew Cooper, Rove's lawyer said his client "never knowingly disclosed classified information.") That is precisely why prosecutor Fitzgerald in this case must document the pattern of Rove's behavior, whether journalists published, or not.

For in this case, Rove, improving on Macchiavelli, has bet that reporters won't rat their relationship with the administration's most important political source. How better for him to operate without constraint, or to camouflage breaking the law, than under the cover of journalists and journalism, protected by the First Amendment? [...]

Reporters with a gut fear of breaching confidential sources must fight like tigers to protect them. But neither reporters Cooper nor Miller, nor their publications, nor anyone in journalism should protect the behavior of Rove (or anyone else) through an undiscerning, blanket use of the First Amendment that weakens its protections by its gross misuse.

Again, be aware that the informed wisdom is that Fitzgerald is working on perjury or obstruction charges -- he's not necessarily going to indict anyone as the "original leaker", but he may very well be preparing indictments against Bush administration officials who gave false testimony to the grand jury. And then there's the whole conspiracy angle which, if Rove's own testimony can be believed, could easily come into play...

It also should be noted that Cooper and especially Miller don't exactly have universal support from other journalists in their steadfast insistence that they be allowed to ignore the court's rulings. Fitzgerald's almost-but-not-quite snarky brief [PDF] to the court opposing Miller's request for house arrest draws heavily on press editorials strongly disputing the claims of journalistic privilege claimed by Cooper and Miller. It's worth a read.

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
500+ posts
500+ posts
Hey Wednesday.....

over here...

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Interesting. This was an investigation that I figured was not going to go anywhere despite how many people who must know who was behind leaking Plame's name.

Fair play!
200+ posts
OP Offline
200+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Interesting. This was an investigation that I figured was not going to go anywhere despite how many people who must know who was behind leaking Plame's name.

...and the story gets weirder still.

Quote:

Connection to Plame investigation

Guckert has been questioned by the Justice Department in relation to the department's criminal investigation into the Valerie Plame affair, in which Plame's identity as an undercover CIA operative was allegedly illegally leaked to a number of journalists and commentators by one or more senior administration officials. On October 28, 2003, Talon News published an interview Guckert had conducted with Ambassador Joseph C. Wilson, Plame's husband, whom the CIA had sent to Niger in 2003 to investigate claims that Iraq was attempting to procure yellowcake uranium. In the interview, Guckert asked Wilson about an "internal government memo prepared by U.S. intelligence personnel" that said Plame had suggested Wilson for the job. In a February 2005 interview, Guckert told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that the FBI had spoken to him in an effort to learn who had leaked the classified memo and to whom, but that he had not been asked to appear before the grand jury investigating the case.

James Guckert is under investigation in the Valerie Plame affair.

Jeff Gannon. The White House credentialized fake news reporter Jeff Gannon AKA James Juckert from fake right wing news agency Talon News for the White House press pool.

The Washington Post reported that Gannon had access to the internal CIA memo that names Joseph Wilson’s wife, Valerie Plame, as a covert agent.

So who leaked the memo to Gannon/ Guckert?

Incredible how something like this is coalescing into other White House scandals....

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
At this point, Rove is looking innocent:

Internal Time e-mails reportedly reveal that White House political guru Karl Rove was the magazine's source as it probed the outing of a covert CIA operative — but also show that Rove never disclosed the agent's name or spy status.

Time reporter Matt Cooper's e-mails show that Rove did not name CIA agent Valerie Plame — and referred to her only in passing.

In other words, Rove talked to Time, but was not the person who leaked Plame's name or job title to them.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
So who...I mean PaulWellr started a hysterical thread accusing a "neocon" before having all the facts?

Shocking!

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

MisterJLA said:
So who...I mean PaulWellr started a hysterical thread accusing a "neocon" before having all the facts?

Shocking!

Yea, and then Who.... er, Paul goes on to forget who it was he was accusing in the first place.

Quote:

Um, I think you meant Rove, Paul.

On Saturday i decided to listen to Air America. Asside from noting that none of the shows I listened to ever fielded a call from the opposition (a claim that is made about Rush libaugh inspite of the fact that he takes at least 25% of his calls from the opposition) They started out by asserting that Rove DID leak Plames ID (as though it were fact) then went on to mention briefly that his involvement hadn't been proven and was still speculation. Then they treated it as fact for the rest of the program that he'd been convicted assuming thier listeners were either too stupid or too ideolistic to question thier premise (not a bad assumption mind you) At one point they mentioned that Rove had told the grand jury that he wasn't involved and based on teh fact (thier assertion) that he had infact was the one who leaked the name he lied and should be thrown in jail for .... get this..... LYING TO A GRAND JURY. I lmost wet myself!

I also heard in a few hours of listening to Air America several times that I was a Nazi (I often heard the term "right" replaced with "reich") and that Republicans acctually don't want the troops to ever come home but we WANT them to die. I also heard very few sponsers. Most of the ad time was service announcements or parody comercials. And I heard NO ads for local buisinesses even though I live in a liberal hotbed.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
100+ posts
100+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

On Saturday i decided to listen to Air America. Asside from noting that none of the shows I listened to ever fielded a call from the opposition (a claim that is made about Rush libaugh inspite of the fact that he takes at least 25% of his calls from the opposition) They started out by asserting that Rove DID leak Plames ID (as though it were fact) then went on to mention briefly that his involvement hadn't been proven and was still speculation. Then they treated it as fact for the rest of the program that he'd been convicted assuming thier listeners were either too stupid or too ideolistic to question thier premise (not a bad assumption mind you) At one point they mentioned that Rove had told the grand jury that he wasn't involved and based on teh fact (thier assertion) that he had infact was the one who leaked the name he lied and should be thrown in jail for .... get this..... LYING TO A GRAND JURY. I lmost wet myself!

I also heard in a few hours of listening to Air America several times that I was a Nazi (I often heard the term "right" replaced with "reich") and that Republicans acctually don't want the troops to ever come home but we WANT them to die. I also heard very few sponsers. Most of the ad time was service announcements or parody comercials. And I heard NO ads for local buisinesses even though I live in a liberal hotbed.

I hate to say it but....I agree WBAM, Air America sucks! I try listening to it now and then, this morning in fact. For a guy that makes a living as a comedian, Al Franken was not funny. Sanctimonious is an adjective that comes to mind. For entertainment value, the fat junkie wins hands down!

The G-man says: You are GOOD r3x29yz4a is my hero! rex says I'm a commie, asshole, fag!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I don't mind agreeing wbam on this one. I hate it when the other side does it. But things grow odder. Karl Rove is definitely not off the hook as I see it. His lawyer says Rove didn't mention her by name but essentially said enough for anybody with Internet access to figure out her maiden name within minutes. And there is the Gannon thing as PaulWellr discussed. Could this be part of the reason Gannon had a press pass?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Here's the thing, however.

According to what I've read, the Time reporter spoke to Rove AFTER Plame's name had been leaked by a completely different reporter (Novak). So the fact that the Time reporter spoke to Rove, even if Rove had used Plame's name, seems irrelvant. The cat was not only out of the bag, but Time was, itself, investigating the previous release of the name.

As noted before, this tends to exonerate, not implicate Rove.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
As a legal matter it may not be irrelvant though. Rove could still have directed other people into leaking Plame's name. At this point he could even be charged with perjury if he did not tell the truth about this to the Grand Jury. Pure speculation of course.

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
As a legal matter it may not be irrelvant though. Rove could still have directed other people into leaking Plame's name. At this point he could even be charged with perjury if he did not tell the truth about this to the Grand Jury. Pure speculation of course.

I'm no more willing to attest to Rove's innocensce (save for him legaly being innocent until proven guilty) than I think it would be appropriate to attest to his guilt at this stage in the game.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
200+ posts
OP Offline
200+ posts
Quote:

White House Won't Comment on Rove, Leak

By PETE YOST, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 48 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - For the better part of two years, the word coming out of the Bush White House was that presidential adviser Karl Rove had nothing to do with the leak of a female CIA officer's identity and that whoever did would be fired.

But Bush spokesman Scott McClellan wouldn't repeat those claims Monday in the face of Rove's own lawyer, Robert Luskin, acknowledging the political operative spoke to Matthew Cooper of Time magazine, one of the reporters who disclosed Valerie Plame's name.

President Bush's chief of staff Andrew Card, left, senior advisor Carl Rove, center, and press secretary Scott McClellan, right, leave the White House, Tuesday, April 20, 2004, for a trip to Buffalo, N.Y. and New York City with President Bush. For the better part of two years, the word coming out of the Bush White House was that presidential adviser Karl Rove had nothing to do with the leak of a female CIA officer's identity and that whoever did would be fired. But Bush spokesman Scott McClellan wouldn't repeat those claims Monday July 11 2005 in the face of Rove's own lawyer, Robert Luskin, acknowledging the political operative spoke to Matthew Cooper of Time magazine, one of the reporters who disclosed Valerie Plame's name.(AP Photo/Ron Edmonds)

McClellan repeatedly said he couldn't comment because the matter is under investigation. When it was pointed out he had commented previously even though the investigation was ongoing, he responded, "I've really said all I'm going to say on it."

Democrats jumped on the issue, calling for the administration to fire Rove, or at least to yank his security clearance. One Democrat pushed for Republicans to hold a congressional hearing in which Rove would testify.

"The White House promised if anyone was involved in the Valerie Plame affair, they would no longer be in this administration," said Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev. "I trust they will follow through on this pledge. If these allegations are true, this rises above politics and is about our national security."

The investigation into the 2003 leak had largely faded into the background until last week, when New York Times reporter Judith Miller went to jail rather than reveal who in the administration talked to her about Plame.

Cooper also had planned to go to jail rather than reveal his source but at the last minute agreed to cooperate with investigators when a source, Rove, gave him permission to do so. Cooper's employer, Time Inc., also turned over Cooper's e-mail and notes.

One of the e-mails was a note from Cooper to his boss in which he said he had spoken to Rove, who described the wife of former U.S. Ambassador and Bush administration critic Joe Wilson as someone who "apparently works" at the CIA, Newsweek magazine reported.

Within days of the July 11, 2003, e-mail, Cooper's byline was on a Time article identifying Wilson's wife by name — Valerie Plame. Her identity was first disclosed by columnist Robert Novak.

The e-mail did not say Rove had disclosed the name. but it made clear that Rove had discussed the issue.

That ran counter to what McClellan has been saying. For example, in September and October 2003, McClellan's comments about Rove included the following: "The president knows that Karl Rove wasn't involved," "It was a ridiculous suggestion," and, "It's not true."

Reporters seized on the subject Monday, pressing McClellan to either repeat the denials or explain why he can't now.

"I have said for quite some time that this is an ongoing investigation and we're not going to get into discussing it," McClellan replied.

Asked whether Rove committed a crime, McClellan said, "This is a question relating to an ongoing investigation."

McClellan gave the same answer when asked whether the president has confidence in Rove.

Rove declined to comment Monday and referred questions to his attorney. Last year, he said, "I didn't know her name and didn't leak her name."

The Rove disclosure was an embarrassment for a White House that prides itself on not leaking to reporters and has insisted that Rove was not involved in exposing Plame's identity.

The disclosure also left in doubt whether Bush would carry out his promise to fire anyone found to have leaked the CIA operative's identity. Rove is one of the president's closest confidants — the man Bush has described as the architect of his re-election, and currently deputy White House chief of staff.

Rove's conversation with Cooper took place five days after Plame's husband suggested in a New York Times op-ed piece that the Bush administration had manipulated intelligence on weapons of mass destruction to justify the invasion of Iraq. Wilson has since suggested his wife's name was leaked as retaliation.

The e-mail that Cooper wrote to his bureau chief said Wilson's wife authorized a trip by Wilson to Africa. The purpose was to check out reports that Iraq had tried to obtain yellowcake uranium for use in nuclear weapons. Wilson's subsequent public criticism of the administration was based on his findings during the trip that cast serious doubt on the allegation that Iraq had tried to obtain the material.

Luskin, Rove's lawyer, said his client did not disclose Plame's name. Luskin declined to say how Rove found out that Wilson's wife worked for the CIA and refused to say how Rove came across the information that it was Wilson's wife who authorized his trip to Africa.

Rove's lawyer says his client has done nothing wrong.

"In the conversation, Karl is warning Cooper not to get too far out in front of the story," Luskin said. "There were false allegations out there that Vice President Cheney sent Wilson to Niger and that Wilson had reported back to Cheney about his trip to Niger. Neither was true.

"A fair-minded reading of Cooper's e-mail is that Rove was trying to discourage Time magazine from circulating false allegations about Cheney, not trying to encourage them by saying anything about Wilson or his wife."

Democratic National Committee chairman Howard Dean said it is "disturbing that this high ranking Bush adviser is not only still working in the White House, but now has a significant role in setting our national security policy."

Dean's counterpart, Republican National Committee chairman Ken Mehlman, responded: "It's disappointing that once again, so many Democrat leaders are taking their political cues from the far left. ... The bottom line is the Democrats are engaged in blatant partisan political attacks."

Sen. Frank Lautenberg (news, bio, voting record), D-N.J., and a private group, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, called on Bush to suspend Rove's security clearances, shutting him out of classified meetings.

Rep. Henry Waxman (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., asked the Republican chairman of the House Government Reform Committee to hold a hearing where Rove would testify.

Rove should resign or the president should fire him, said Tom Matzzie, Washington director of the liberal advocacy group MoveOn PAC.

Sen. Charles Schumer (news, bio, voting record), D-N.Y., asked Rove to detail any conversations he had about Plame before her name surfaced publicly in Novak's column.

But all of this is secondary...

Why on earth are the Republicans on this board in such deep denial? Rove's own lawyer last week practically admitted Rove was the leaker when he said Rove didn't KNOWINGLY leak Valerie Plame's ID.

Now Newsweek has also disclosed Rove as the leaker by releasing a Cooper e-mail revealing Rove as the source of the leak.

200+ posts
OP Offline
200+ posts
Quote:

July 11, 2005

Newsweek IDs Rove as Source
From Reuters

WASHINGTON — Top White House advisor Karl Rove was one of the secret sources who spoke to reporters about a covert CIA operative whose identity was leaked to the media, Newsweek magazine reported in its latest edition.

The magazine said Rove's lawyer, Robert Luskin, confirmed that Rove talked to a Time magazine reporter about former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV and his wife, CIA agent Valerie Plame.

Luskin said Rove recently gave Time reporter Matthew Cooper permission to testify about the conversation to a grand jury investigating the leak in 2003, Newsweek reported.

A federal judge ordered Cooper, along with New York Times reporter Judith Miller, to testify and reveal their confidential sources.

Last week, Cooper avoided a jail sentence for contempt of court by agreeing to testify in the case. Miller refused to testify and was jailed.

The case has become an important test involving freedom of the press, pitting journalists' traditional use of anonymous sources against a federal prosecutor's efforts to investigate a possible crime.

It is illegal to knowingly reveal the identity of an undercover CIA agent.

Although Rove has made statements about the Plame leak, he has never publicly acknowledged talking to any reporter about the CIA agent.

Rove has carefully chosen his words when questioned about the leak. "I didn't know her name. I didn't leak her name," he told CNN last year.

Special prosecutor Patrick J. Fitzgerald has led a two-year investigation into the leak amid questions about whether it came from the White House as part of an attempt to discredit Wilson after he contradicted President Bush's assertions about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

As an aside, what Does WBAM's Air America diatribes or JLA's paranoid rants have to do with the topic at hand?

G-Man??

200+ posts
OP Offline
200+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

Quote:

Um, I think you meant Rove, Paul.

Well, it was a rhetorical question. Now that the question of who leaked has been solved (partially I think), now maybe the question of how and why a male prostitute/fake news reporter was allowed unprececdented access inside the White House, can also be answered.

200+ posts
OP Offline
200+ posts
Transcript of yesterdays rancorous press briefing

Quote:

Q Does the President stand by his pledge to fire anyone involved in the leak of a name of a CIA operative?

MR. McCLELLAN: Terry, I appreciate your question. I think your question is being asked relating to some reports that are in reference to an ongoing criminal investigation. The criminal investigation that you reference is something that continues at this point. And as I've previously stated, while that investigation is ongoing, the White House is not going to comment on it. The President directed the White House to cooperate fully with the investigation, and as part of cooperating fully with the investigation, we made a decision that we weren't going to comment on it while it is ongoing.

Q Excuse me, but I wasn't actually talking about any investigation. But in June of 2004, the President said that he would fire anybody who was involved in this leak, to press of information. And I just want to know, is that still his position?

MR. McCLELLAN: Yes, but this question is coming up in the context of this ongoing investigation, and that's why I said that our policy continues to be that we're not going to get into commenting on an ongoing criminal investigation from this podium. The prosecutors overseeing the investigation had expressed a preference to us that one way to help the investigation is not to be commenting on it from this podium. And so that's why we are not going to get into commenting on it while it is an ongoing investigation, or questions related to it.

Q Scott, if I could -- if I could point out, contradictory to that statement, on September 29th, 2003, while the investigation was ongoing, you clearly commented on it. You were the first one who said, if anybody from the White House was involved, they would be fired. And then on June 10th of 2004, at Sea Island Plantation, in the midst of this investigation is when the President made his comment that, yes, he would fire anybody from the White House who was involved. So why have you commented on this during the process of the investigation in the past, but now you've suddenly drawn a curtain around it under the statement of, "We're not going to comment on an ongoing investigation"?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, John, I appreciate the question. I know you want to get to the bottom of this. No one wants to get to the bottom of it more than the President of the United States. And I think the way to be most helpful is to not get into commenting on it while it is an ongoing investigation. That's something that the people overseeing the investigation have expressed a preference that we follow. And that's why we're continuing to follow that approach and that policy.

Now, I remember very well what was previously said. And at some point, I will be glad to talk about it, but not until after the investigation is complete.

Q So could I just ask, when did you change your mind to say that it was okay to comment during the course of an investigation before, but now it's not?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, I think maybe you missed what I was saying in reference to Terry's question at the beginning. There came a point when the investigation got underway when those overseeing the investigation asked that it would be their -- or said that it would be their preference that we not get into discussing it while it is ongoing. I think that's the way to be most helpful to help them advance the investigation and get to the bottom of it.

Q Scott, can I ask you this; did Karl Rove commit a crime?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, David, this is a question relating to an ongoing investigation, and you have my response related to the investigation. And I don't think you should read anything into it other than we're going to continue not to comment on it while it's ongoing.

Q Do you stand by your statement from the fall of 2003 when you were asked specifically about Karl and Elliott Abrams and Scooter Libby, and you said, "I've gone to each of those gentlemen, and they have told me they are not involved in this" -- do you stand by that statement?

MR. McCLELLAN: And if you will recall, I said that as part of helping the investigators move forward on the investigation we're not going to get into commenting on it. That was something I stated back near that time, as well.

Q Scott, I mean, just -- I mean, this is ridiculous. The notion that you're going to stand before us after having commented with that level of detail and tell people watching this that somehow you decided not to talk. You've got a public record out there. Do you stand by your remarks from that podium, or not?

MR. McCLELLAN: And again, David, I'm well aware, like you, of what was previously said, and I will be glad to talk about it at the appropriate time. The appropriate time is when the investigation --

Q Why are you choosing when it's appropriate and when it's inappropriate?

MR. McCLELLAN: If you'll let me finish --

Q No, you're not finishing -- you're not saying anything. You stood at that podium and said that Karl Rove was not involved. And now we find out that he spoke out about Joseph Wilson's wife. So don't you owe the American public a fuller explanation? Was he involved, or was he not? Because, contrary to what you told the American people, he did, indeed, talk about his wife, didn't he?

MR. McCLELLAN: David, there will be a time to talk about this, but now is not the time to talk about it.

Q Do you think people will accept that, what you're saying today?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, I've responded to the question.

Go ahead, Terry.

Q Well, you're in a bad spot here, Scott, because after the investigation began, after the criminal investigation was underway, you said -- October 10th, 2003, "I spoke with those individuals, Rove, Abrams and Libby, as I pointed out, those individuals assured me they were not involved in this." From that podium. That's after the criminal investigation began. Now that Rove has essentially been caught red-handed peddling this information, all of a sudden you have respect for the sanctity of the criminal investigation?

MR. McCLELLAN: No, that's not a correct characterization Terry, and I think you are well aware of that. We know each other very well, and it was after that period that the investigators had requested that we not get into commenting on an ongoing criminal investigation. And we want to be helpful so that they can get to the bottom of this, because no one wants to get to the bottom of it more than the President of the United States. I am well aware of what was said previously. I remember well what was said previously. And at some point, I look forward to talking about it. But until the investigation is complete, I'm just not going to do that.

Q Do you recall when you were asked --

Q Wait, wait -- so you're now saying that after you cleared Rove and the others from that podium, then the prosecutors asked you not to speak anymore, and since then, you haven't?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, you're continuing to ask questions relating to an ongoing criminal investigation, and I'm just not going to respond any further.

Q When did they ask you to stop commenting on it, Scott? Can you peg down a date?

MR. McCLELLAN: Back at that time period.

Q Well, then the President commented on it nine months later. So was he not following the White House plan?

MR. McCLELLAN: John, I appreciate your questions. You can keep asking them, but you have my response.

Go ahead, Dave.

Q We are going to keep asking them. When did the President learn that Karl Rove had had a conversation with the President -- with a news reporter about the involvement of Joseph Wilson's wife and the decision to send --

MR. McCLELLAN: I've responded to the questions.

Q When did the President learn that Karl Rove had --

MR. McCLELLAN: I've responded to the questions, Dick.

Go ahead.

Q After the investigation is completed, will you then be consistent with your word and the President's word that anybody who was involved would be let go?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, after the investigation is complete, I will be glad to talk about it at that point.

Q And a follow-up. Can you walk us through why, given the fact that Rove's lawyer has spoken publicly about this, it is inconsistent with the investigation, that it compromises the investigation to talk about the involvement of Karl Rove, the Deputy Chief of Staff?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, those overseeing the investigation expressed a preference to us that we not get into commenting on the investigation while it's ongoing. And that was what they requested of the White House. And so I think in order to be helpful to that investigation, we are following their direction.

Q Scott, there's a difference between commenting on an investigation and taking an action --

MR. McCLELLAN: Go ahead, Goyal.

Q Can I finish, please? ........

Quote:

Carl, go ahead. I'll come to you, David, in a second.

Q Does the President continue to have confidence in Mr. Rove?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, these are all questions coming up in the context of an ongoing criminal investigation. And you've heard my response on this.

Q So you're not going to respond as to whether or not the President has confidence in his Deputy Chief of Staff?

MR. McCLELLAN: Carl, you're asking this question in the context of an ongoing investigation. And I would not read anything into it other than I'm simply not going to comment on an ongoing --

Q Has there been -- has there been any change --

MR. McCLELLAN: -- investigation.

Q Has there been any change or is there a plan for Mr. Rove's portfolio to be altered in any way?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, you have my response to these questions.

Go ahead. Sarah, go ahead. ....

Quote:

Now I'll go back to David. Go ahead.

Q There's a difference between commenting publicly on an action and taking action in response to it. Newsweek put out a story, an email saying that Karl Rove passed national security information on to a reporter that outed a CIA officer. Now, are you saying that the President is not taking any action in response to that? Because I presume that the prosecutor did not ask you not to take action, and that if he did, you still would not necessarily abide by that; that the President is free to respond to news reports, regardless of whether there's an investigation or not. So are you saying that he's not going to do anything about this until the investigation is fully over and done with?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, I think the President has previously spoken to this. This continues to be an ongoing criminal investigation. No one wants to get to the bottom of it more than the President of the United States. And we're just not going to have more to say on it until that investigation is complete.

Q But you acknowledge that he is free, as President of the United States, to take whatever action he wants to in response to a credible report that a member of his staff leaked information. He is free to take action if he wants to.

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, you're asking questions relating to an ongoing investigation, and I think I've responded to it.

Quote:

MR. McCLELLAN: Go ahead, April. Go ahead.

Q Scott, what was the President's interaction today with Karl Rove? Did they discuss this current situation? And understanding that Karl Rove was the architect of the President's win for the second term in the Oval Office, how important is Karl Rove to this administration currently?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, this is coming at it from --

Q It has nothing to do with what you just said.

MR. McCLELLAN: This is still coming at the same question relating to reports about an ongoing investigation, and I think I've responded to it.

Q Who is Karl Rove as it relates to this administration?

MR. McCLELLAN: Do you have questions on another topic?

Q No, no, no, no. Who is Karl Rove as it relates to this current administration?

MR. McCLELLAN: I appreciate the question, April. I think I've responded.

Go ahead, Connie. ...

Quote:

Go ahead.

Q Scott, I think you're barrage today in part because we -- it is now clear that 21 months ago, you were up at this podium saying something that we now know to be demonstratively false. Now, are you concerned that in not setting the record straight today that this could undermine the credibility of the other things you say from the podium?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, I'm going to be happy to talk about this at the appropriate time. Dana, you all -- you and everybody in this room, or most people in this room, I should say, know me very well and they know the type of person that I am. And I'm confident in our relationship that we have. But I will be glad to talk about this at the appropriate time, and that's once the investigation is complete. I'm not going to get into commenting based on reports or anything of that nature.

Q Scott, at this point, are we to consider what you've said previously, when you were talking about this, that you're still standing by that, or are those all inoperative at this point?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, you're still trying to come at this from a different angle, and I've responded to it.

Q Are you standing by what you said previously?

MR. McCLELLAN: You've heard my response.

Go ahead. ....

Quote:

Go ahead, Alexis.

Q When the leak investigation is concluded, does the President believe it might be important for his credibility, the credibility of the White House, to release all the information voluntarily that was submitted as part of the investigation, so the American public could see what the -- what transpired inside the White House at the time?

MR. McCLELLAN: This is an investigation being overseen by a special prosecutor. And I think those are questions best directed to the special prosecutor. Again, this is an ongoing matter; I'm just not going to get into commenting on it further at this time. At the appropriate time, when it's complete, then I'll be glad to talk about it at that point.

Q Have you in the White House considered whether that would be optimum to release as much information and make it as open a process --

MR. McCLELLAN: It's the same type of question. You're asking me to comment on an ongoing investigation, and I'm not going to do that.

Q I'm actually talking about the communication strategy, which is a little different.

MR. McCLELLAN: Understood. The President directed the White House to cooperate fully with the investigation. And that's what he expects people in the White House to do.

Q And he would like to that when it is concluded, cooperate fully with --

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, I've already responded.

Go ahead.

Q Scott, was it -- who in the investigation made this request of the White House not to comment further about the investigation? Was it Mr. Fitzgerald? Did he make the request of you --

MR. McCLELLAN: I mean, you can ask -- you can direct those questions to the special prosecutors. I think probably more than one individual who's involved in overseeing the investigation had expressed a preference that we not get into commenting on the investigation while it's ongoing. I think we all want to see the prosecutors get to the bottom of this matter. The President wants to see the prosecutors get to the bottom of this matter. And the way to help them do that is to not get into commenting on it while it is ongoing.

Q Was the request made of you, or of whom in the White House?

MR. McCLELLAN: I already responded to these questions.

Go ahead.

Quote:

Bob, go ahead.

Q Yes, in your dealings with the special counsel, have you consulted a personal attorney?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, I'm just not going to say anything further. I expressed all I'm going to say on this matter from this podium.

Go ahead.

Press Briefing by Scott McClellan July 11, 2005

view video

click on "click to start REAL player"

Who knew the formerly spineless White House press corps could ask follow up questions and keep asking after getting a scripted non-answer?

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
Wellr = Sore Loser

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Pariah = Right

...you tell stories, we tell lies.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

PaulWellr said:
Who knew the formerly spineless White House press corps could ask follow up questions and keep asking after getting a scripted non-answer?

To many people were starting to notice their silence on this IMHO. Was it ever resolved who sent Wilson on that mission in the first place BTW? Rove was apparently telling reporters that it was Plame who sent her husband. If she didn't, why would Rove tell reporters otherwise?

Fair play!
200+ posts
OP Offline
200+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Quote:

PaulWellr said:

To many people were starting to notice their silence on this IMHO. Was it ever resolved who sent Wilson on that mission in the first place BTW? Rove was apparently telling reporters that it was Plame who sent her husband. If she didn't, why would Rove tell reporters otherwise?

Plame DID INTRODUCE her husband to the people that sent him, but she did not SEND him. She didn't have the authority to do that. The Directorate's boss sent him. The repub spin machine said all along that she SENT him, like she was some sort of ball-busting, power-hungry mad woman sending her husband off on a cushy, ridiculous mission to embarrass the president.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

PaulWellr said:
what Does WBAM's Air America diatribes or JLA's paranoid rants have to do with the topic at hand?

G-Man??

In the case of WBAM, he was discussing "Air America's" coverage of the Plame/Rove story:

Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

On Saturday i decided to listen to Air America. ....They started out by asserting that Rove DID leak Plames ID (as though it were fact) then went on to mention briefly that his involvement hadn't been proven and was still speculation. Then they treated it as fact for the rest of the program that he'd been convicted .... At one point they mentioned that Rove had told the grand jury that he wasn't involved and based on teh fact (thier assertion) that he had infact was the one who leaked the name he lied and should be thrown in jail for .... get this..... LYING TO A GRAND JURY.

The thread is about Plame and Rove, is it not?

In the case of JLA, all he did was state, sarcastically, that your premise was flawed and posted as a thread before all the facts were in.

As such, both seem to be pretty much on topic to me.

500+ posts
500+ posts

click for the Rove remix.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Now you're being silly. This is not the "doctored photo" forum.

If Rove turns out to be the leaker, meaning that he is named by the Grand Jury, or other competent authority, as the person who made the initial disclosure to Bob Novack, posting that pic might make sense. But right now, all you're doing is undercutting your own arguments on an issue that you could be proven correct on someday.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
The pic's pretty funny tho'.

...you tell stories, we tell lies.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Jon Podhoretz has a pretty good column on why, as discussed previously, all of this may amount to nothing anyway:

In the Cooper e-mails just surrendered by Time to the prosecutor looking into the Plame case, "Cooper wrote that Rove offered him a 'big warning' not to 'get too far out on Wilson.' Rove told Cooper that Wilson's trip had not been authorized by . . . CIA Director George Tenet . . . or Vice President Dick Cheney. Rather, 'it was, [Rove] said, Wilson's wife, who apparently works at the agency on WMD [weapons of mass destruction] issues who authorized the trip.' "

There's no mistaking the purpose of this conversation between Cooper and Rove. It wasn't intended to discredit, defame or injure Wilson's wife. It was intended to throw cold water on the import, seriousness and supposedly high level of Wilson's findings.

While some may differ on the fairness of discrediting Joseph Wilson, it sure isn't any kind of crime.

Rove was suggesting to Cooper that that folks lower down in the CIA than its own director commandeered the process so that the husband of one of their own could get the gig. And the husband in question then went and misrepresented his findings to various journalists

This Rove-Cooper conversation discredits Wilson, not Plame. In fact, nothing we know so far was done either with the purpose of exposing or even the knowledge that these remarks would be exposing an undercover CIA operative.

But Plame's undercover status at the time was and is a little questionable in any case. How undercover could she have been when her name was published at the time as part of Joseph Wilson's own biography online (see cpsag.com/our_team/wilson.html)?

So if the offense wasn't against Plame, what of the offense against Wilson? There was no offense. As many of Joe Wilson's own hottest defenders would no doubt argue in relation to President Bush, exposing a liar is not only not a crime, it's a public service.

And Wilson lied. Repeatedly.

First off, Wilson long denied he was recommended for the job by his wife: "Valerie had nothing to do with the matter," he writes in his book. "She definitely had not proposed that I make the trip."

But the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence actually found the memo in which Valerie Plame recommended her husband for the job.

There were other lies as well. Wilson's own report was far from definitive in any way on the question of whether Iraq was seeking uranium from Niger — thus giving the lie to his later bald claim that he came back insisting there was no link.

Thus, Rove was telling Cooper the truth.

What isn't controversial is this: Karl Rove didn't "out" Valerie Plame as a CIA agent to intimidate Joe Wilson. He was dismissing Joe Wilson as a low-level has-been hack to whom nobody should pay attention. He was right then, and if he said it today, he'd still be right.

And if Valerie Plame wants to live a quiet spy life, she should stop having her picture taken by society photographers and stop getting stories written about her on the front page of the Times.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

PaulWellr said:
Quote:

July 11, 2005

Newsweek IDs Rove as Source
From Reuters

WASHINGTON — Top White House advisor Karl Rove was one of the secret sources who spoke to reporters about a covert CIA operative whose identity was leaked to the media, Newsweek magazine reported in its latest edition.

The magazine said Rove's lawyer, Robert Luskin, confirmed that Rove talked to a Time magazine reporter about former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV and his wife, CIA agent Valerie Plame.

Luskin said Rove recently gave Time reporter Matthew Cooper permission to testify about the conversation to a grand jury investigating the leak in 2003, Newsweek reported.

A federal judge ordered Cooper, along with New York Times reporter Judith Miller, to testify and reveal their confidential sources.

Last week, Cooper avoided a jail sentence for contempt of court by agreeing to testify in the case. Miller refused to testify and was jailed.

The case has become an important test involving freedom of the press, pitting journalists' traditional use of anonymous sources against a federal prosecutor's efforts to investigate a possible crime.

It is illegal to knowingly reveal the identity of an undercover CIA agent.

Although Rove has made statements about the Plame leak, he has never publicly acknowledged talking to any reporter about the CIA agent.

Rove has carefully chosen his words when questioned about the leak. "I didn't know her name. I didn't leak her name," he told CNN last year.

Special prosecutor Patrick J. Fitzgerald has led a two-year investigation into the leak amid questions about whether it came from the White House as part of an attempt to discredit Wilson after he contradicted President Bush's assertions about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

As an aside, what Does WBAM's Air America diatribes or JLA's paranoid rants have to do with the topic at hand?

G-Man??

If you had acctually read my diatribe about Air America, i was primarily discussing thier willingness to discuss Roves guilt as though it were concusive. Wich as I recall WAS the topic at hand. I will try and go slower for you next time...... retard.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard