Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22
the G-man #537216 2005-10-18 10:42 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Much of it is speculation, though we do know some things. Early statements made by Rove & Libby don't match the accounts given by reporters Cooper & Miller after they testified.

Fair play!
Matter-eater Man #537217 2005-10-18 11:59 PM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
wannabuyamonkey #537218 2005-10-19 12:06 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

I'll wake you up if/when the indictments are handed out

Fair play!
Matter-eater Man #537219 2005-10-19 12:08 AM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

Thank you.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
Matter-eater Man #537220 2005-10-19 12:28 AM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Much of it is speculation, though we do know some things. Early statements made by Rove & Libby don't match the accounts given by reporters Cooper & Miller after they testified.

Well, then Rove and Libby MUST be lying. After all, it is not as if a reporter has ever been caught in lie or mistake.

And, of course, if Rove or Libby's statements were inaccurate, it MUST be that they were lying. It COULDN'T be faulty memory, misunderstanding or any of the usual, non sinister, reasons that people get things wrong.

Seriously, however, it there is good evidence that either of these guys lied under oath, they should be prosecuted. But at the same time simply having "he said she said" discrepancies is not particularly good evidence, just because the "he" is a Republican.

the G-man #537221 2005-10-19 1:46 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Seriously, however, it there is good evidence that either of these guys lied under oath, they should be prosecuted. But at the same time simply having "he said she said" discrepancies is not particularly good evidence, just because the "he" is a Republican.

I agree with you on that point. Hopefully you would apply the same reasoning if it was a Democrat in a similar position.

Last edited by Matter-eater Man; 2005-10-19 1:48 AM.

Fair play!
the G-man #537222 2005-10-19 2:05 AM
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
From the Post story I gleaned that it has moved up the food chain.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
I agree with you on that point. Hopefully you would apply the same reasoning if it was a Democrat in a similar position.

I seem to recall at least one prominent democrat who was prosecuted for lying under oath, and was found to have lied under oath and fined by the court. Where did you stand on his prosecution?

the G-man #537224 2005-10-19 3:00 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:

I seem to recall at least one prominent democrat who was prosecuted for lying under oath, and was found to have lied under oath and fined by the court. Where did you stand on his prosecution?

If it was a Republican under the same circumstances, I would really feel the same way. If say President Bush was legally maneuvered to testify about embarrassing aspects of his sex life & then lied about it, he would be just as guilty of perjury just like Clinton was. Not something I would want to undo an election for! I would be quite happy with some of the rules being changed (like being able to sue a sitting President) so that the nation doesn't have to go through that again, no matter what party it benefits at the time.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I agree with you on at least one thing you wrote. I've always thought it was wrong to allow Jones to sue Clinton while he was in office.

the G-man #537226 2005-10-19 4:28 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Meanwhile, check out this hard-hitting editorial on the Plame kerfuffle:

Special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald's CIA-leak inquiry is focusing attention on what long has been a tactic of U.S. President George W. Bush's administration: slash-and-burn assaults on its critics, particularly those opposed to the president's Iraq war policies.

If top officials are indicted, it could seriously erode the administration's credibility and prove yet another embarrassment to Bush on the larger issue of how he and his national security team marshaled information--much of it later shown to be inaccurate--to support their case for the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003.

Oh wait, that isn't an editorial; it's an Associated Press/CNN "news" story.

Hard to tell the difference sometimes.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

....As the White House braced for a decision by Mr. Fitzgerald, Republicans began suggesting that they would pursue a strategy of minimizing any charges as technicalities or the product of an overzealous prosecution.

Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, Republican of Texas, speaking on NBC's "Meet the Press," compared the leak investigation to the case of Martha Stewart, "where they couldn't find a crime and they indict on something that she said about something that wasn't a crime."

Senator Hutchison said she hoped "that if there is going to be an indictment that says something happened, that it is an indictment on a crime and not some perjury technicality where they couldn't indict on the crime and so they go to something just to show that their two years of investigation was not a waste of time and taxpayer dollars."...

In case people forgot, Clinton got into some serious trouble for perjury a couple of years back. NYTimes.com

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Sounds like tomorrow is the day. While there is of course the chance that nobody gets indicted, it doesn't sound likely. Libby & Rove are looking like indictment recipients for lying their asses off to Fitzgerald. (unless there is a conspiracy amongst the reporters)

It's been fun googling for new news tonight. Limbaugh was just happy it wasn't Wednesday. Coulter apparently declared that Plame's neighbors were lying and that they needed to be prosecuted. (I suppose they could be in the conspiracy with the reporters) The Wall Street Journal offered an editorial that suggested that because Fitzgerald has taken a full 2 yrs that he must not have anything worthy to call a crime. It must be a bitch being part of the GOP smear machine. Fitzgerald definitely looks like a "No Spin Zone."

Happy Fitzmas!

Okay.

Let's assume they did lie about something under oath.

That's bad. They should be punished. I called for Clinton to be punished when he lied and this would be no different.

However, if the only thing they are indicted for is perjury (which is illegal and wrong), that means they were cleared of outing the CIA agent. Which is what you guys have been telling us for two years is what they were guilty of.

So...how does that implicate Bush himself in regard to the Iraq war?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Actually somebody could be guilty of perjury in addition to outing CIA agent intentionally couldn't they. Not to mention other things. And please don't stick words in my mouth. They may or may not be guilty, I've just been pointing out various things & a bit of speculation. (pretty much what you do)

As for implicating Bush in the Iraq war, I don't know. Maybe it might shed new light on that faulty intel that sidestepped the CIA & mysteriously got into the President's State of the Union. Fitzgerald from what I've read has been able to access stuff that others have not been able to. Personally I'm not expecting this to somehow get President Bush.

I should mention that Indictment Day was a seperate thread but G-man tacked it onto the Rovegate one. Despite that Indictment Day deals with what may happen to far more than just Rove. There can only be one thread pertaining to Rove (Libby & the rest just have to share)

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:I should mention that Indictment Day was a seperate thread but G-man tacked it onto the Rovegate one. Despite that Indictment Day deals with what may happen to far more than just Rove. There can only be one thread pertaining to Rove (Libby & the rest just have to share)

Quote:

On Fri Sep 30 2005, on this very thread,
Matter-eater Man said:
It appears that Scooter libby was the source being protected.

Quote:

On Tue Oct 18 2005 Matter-eater Man said:
Early statements made by Rove & libby don't match the accounts given by reporters Cooper & Miller after they testified.

Quote:

On Wed Jul 20 2005
Matter-eater Man said:

Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, Lewis libby, also was a source for Cooper on the Plame story.

Quote:

On Wed Jul 20 2005 Matter-eater Man said:
libby
& Rove could still be the sources Miller is protecting.

And that's only your posts discussing Libby on this thread. Whomod, Ray and others have also done so.

This thread has been about Scooter Libby for months.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Actually somebody could be guilty of perjury in addition to outing CIA agent intentionally couldn't they.

They could. However, that was the original charge that was being investigated and at, at this point, it appears unlikely that original charge is being prosecuted.

If, after all this, the Special Prosecutor isn't pursuing the original subject of the investigation ("outing a CIA agent"), it would tend to indicate that no outing occurred.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Libby Indicted in CIA Leak Probe

Vice President Dick Cheney's chief aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby (search) was indicted Friday by a grand jury in relation to the investigation of a leak of a CIA operative's name to reporters two years ago.

The indictment charges Libby with two felony counts for making false statements to mislead the grand jury. He was also charged with obstruction of justice and and two perjury charges. Five indictments were handed down in total.

Each count carries a maximum of five years in jail, meaning a guilty verdict could mean a maximum 25-year jail sentence. Federal prison has no parole. The odds of Libby, someone without a prior record and with years of public service, getting a maximum sentence are pretty low.

Karl Rove, President Bush's top political aide, was spared from criminal charges on Friday

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
You forgot to add that Rove is still being investigated & may be charged later. BTW, you have to wonder how good Bush's right hand man is if his memory is so feeble that he forgets things in front of a Grand Jury. It's sad that we didn't elect a President who knew how to use his own right arm.

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Rove has been spared so far.

Thank Christ for the Moral Administration.

This is the Administration America re-elected. I hope to fucking hell they're happy.

We all wear a green carnation.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I actually like that the investigation may be around instead of ending today.

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Yeah, why not? Keep 'em on their toes.

We all wear a green carnation.
Jim Jackson #537238 2005-10-30 9:52 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Calls for White House shakeup focus on Karl Rove

By Randall Mikkelsen

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President George W. Bush, whose top adviser Karl Rove remains in jeopardy in a CIA-leak probe, needs to shake up his White House staff if he hopes to revive a presidency reeling from multiple setbacks, Republican and Democratic lawmakers said on Sunday.

The lawmakers also urged Bush to investigate the office of Vice President Dick Cheney, whose chief of staff, Lewis Libby, resigned on Friday and was indicted on perjury and other charges in connection with the probe.

Bush should take Cheney "to the woodshed" if necessary, a Democratic lawmaker said, and the Senate's top Democrat said Rove should be fired or quit.

"I think Karl Rove should step down," Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada said on ABC's "This Week."

Mississippi Republican Sen. Trent Lott said the Bush administration needed "new blood, new energy, qualified staff," and that he expected the president to address his problems.

"I'm not talking about wholesale changes, but you've got to reach out and bring in more advice and counsel," Lott said on "Fox News Sunday."

Rove remains under investigation in the probe into who leaked the identity of covert CIA operative Valerie Plame, whose diplomat husband is a prominent Iraq war critic. The White House's credibility has been hurt by disclosures that Rove and Libby leaked Plame's identity, despite earlier official denials attributed to the two men.

Reid said Bush and Cheney owed the public an apology. "They should come clean with the American public," he said on ABC....

I'm not sure how Bush can keep Rove & not lose his credibility. Rove spoke to at least one lawyer about classified information. There seems to be a very low standard being used to keep Rove. And considering that whatever happened in the White House ended up blowing an agent's cover, President Bush does need to say sorry. Reuters

Fair play!
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Rove is finally getting what's coming to him after a career of lies and smear tactics.

Bow ties are coool.
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
So we can only hope that at least a few Slate.com reporters will be getting theirs soon?

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
So we can only hope that at least a few Slate.com reporters will be getting theirs soon?

Do these internet reporters have security clearances where they promised to not secretly leak classified info in order to have said security clearances? Post 9/11 I would think government officials would be held accountable for doing what Rove did but apparently a lower standard now applies to having a security clearance.

Fair play!
Matter-eater Man #537242 2005-11-02 12:27 AM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

You forgot to wake me. They were handed out. Is Rove going down or did they get teh big dog himslef Cheney.... Ooh now that the iddictments are out, I bet the whole Bush complex is going down in flames, right?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

This is the Administration America re-elected. I hope to fucking hell they're happy.

We are and thank you.

Should I point out that you refered to America as "they" or just let it hang out there on it's own?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

You forgot to wake me. They were handed out. Is Rove going down or did they get teh big dog himslef Cheney.... Ooh now that the iddictments are out, I bet the whole Bush complex is going down in flames, right?

As Fitzgerald said it's not over. We do now know despite Cheney claiming that he never heard of Wilson or his wife that he was one of Libby's sources thanks to the indictment last Friday. I'm sure he just forgot his conversation with Libby. Quite a bit of that going on at the White House. I'm not going to hold my breath for the Republican politicians to police their boss but thankfully America does have Fitzgerald who puts his job before politics. (thankfully he's not a Democrat or else he would of gotten the Wilson treatment himself)

Fair play!
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

We are and thank you.

Should I point out that you refered to America as "they" or just let it hang out there on it's own?

then you're clearly misinterpreting. 51% of voters put Bush in (an embarassing margin for a sitting president) because he scared them and lied to them.
Those people had the slight majority and now its on them. I knew it would go bad if he was reelected (excuse me, elected) in 2004. Lying and corrupt administrations always collapse.

Bow ties are coool.
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
51% of voters put Bush in (an embarassing margin for a sitting president) because he scared them and lied to them.

So you're Mxy's alt huh?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Don't insult Mxy that way!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
...or alt for that matter!

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
What happened to Libby's leg?

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Media Bias on Trial in Libby Case

Attorneys for Lewis "Scooter" Libby are likely to question whether the political bias of news outlets involved in the Leakgate case played a role in testimony by their reporters against top White House officials, reports the Wall Street Journal.

"Just wait until defense counsel starts examining their memories and reporting habits, not to mention the dominant political leanings in the newsrooms of NBC, Time magazine and the New York Times," warns the Journal in an editorial on Friday.

NBC Washington bureau chief Tim Russert - the star prosecution witness against Mr. Libby - should offer particularly fertile ground on this count.

His "Meet the Press" broadcast was among the first to showcase claims by Leakgate accuser Joe Wilson, the disgruntled former Clinton official who famously charged that the White House lied about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.

After Wilson's wife was allegedly "outed" as a result of leaks now attributed to Libby and others, the Wilsons posed for two pictorial spreads that ran in Vanity Fair magazine, where Mr. Russert's wife, Maureen Orth, has served as special correspondent since 1993.
    Another problem for prosecutors: Russert's claim that he had no way of knowing that Wilson's wife worked at the CIA before his conversation with Libby - when senior NBC correspondent Andrea Mitchell, who works under Russert, has described Plame's CIA connection as "widely known."

Time Magazine's Matthew Cooper offers another troubling indication of political bias that defense attorneys could cite as evidence of a lack of objectivity by some of Libby's media accusers. Cooper is married to Mandy Grunwald, a longtime advisor to Hillary Clinton - who bashed Libby's alleged crime last week as "reprehensible."

Then there's the New York Times own Judy Miller, who finally gave up what she knew about Libby after an 85-day stint in jail.

"Rest assured," says the Journal, "that Ms. Miller's evocative self-description, 'Miss Run Amok,' will surface on cross-examination."

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
LMAO! I'm curious to see if Cheney has to testify & what happens when he places his hand on the Bible. Will it burst into flames?

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
No, it won't..... wanna take bets?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
No, it won't..... wanna take bets?

I don't gamble. I will enjoy the show though

Fair play!
the G-man #537254 2005-11-07 4:26 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
American Spectator:

Some Republicans on the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence are wondering what it is Democratic member Rep. Rush Holt (NJ) thinks he's doing by so publicly discussing issues related to the Joe Wilson scandal. Particularly since Holt, like other Democrats, has been receiving information that little to no damage appears to have occurred as the result of Wilson's wife's name having become more publicly known. Holt has appeared on a number of TV shows, including an embarrassing 60 Minutes advertorial for Wilson.

Holt has claimed that he knows almost certainly that damage was done to intelligence resources as a result of Valerie Plame's name being further disseminated. But the CIA has briefed both the House and the Senate Intelligence Committees that thus far that does not appear to the case at all.

Of course, that information would be confidential, and Holt shouldn't discuss it.

"The fact is Holt shouldn't be talking at all to anyone, especially the press," says a Republican House colleague. "More important, if he is going to talk, he ought to be honest, and what he is telling the media right now is not accurate. It's what they want to hear, but it's not accurate or complete."

the G-man #537255 2005-11-07 5:36 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Ironic that some Republicans are scolding a Democrat & then go on & do the same thing that their upset about. You offer a partisan websight with some hypocritical allegations with zero substance.

Fair play!
Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard