Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22
Matter-eater Man #537256 2005-11-07 10:15 PM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Don't you hate it when people on the other side keep trying to direct you to partisan web-sites.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Don't you hate it when people on the other side keep trying to direct you to partisan web-sites.

I don't mind that. What I don't care for is just dismissing something because it's from a partisan websight.

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
As long as they're your partisan web sites that is. I think you should listen to Rush Limbaugh and Michael Medved from now on, but whatever you do don't dismiss them because of thier bias, because that would be wrong.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
As long as they're your partisan web sites that is. I think you should listen to Rush Limbaugh and Michael Medved from now on, but whatever you do don't dismiss them because of thier bias, because that would be wrong.

Rush Limbaugh is a BIG FAT JUNKIE!

magicjay38 #537260 2005-11-08 1:38 AM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
We can't all be slender dynamo's like yourself, now can we?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

WBAM come on. Did I say anything like that? Ironically pretty much anytime I've posted something from Media Matters, it's pointed out that it's a partisan websight & any info it contains isn't worth consideration. In fact you recently replied in such a manner on the last one. It didn't matter what it contained (mostly a section of a government document on security clearances) I'm guessing there wasn't anything you could argue & just did a sarcastic dismissive response. With G-man's post I responded to the article beyond just saying it was partisan. I pointed out what I saw what was wrong with it. I guess I truly feel like your holding me to a different standard than you or G-man on this one.

Fair play!
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Magicjay38 said:

Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

Which part of that statement is incorrect, WBAM?

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
magicjay38 #537263 2005-11-08 3:40 AM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
1. Rush is actually pretty slim now
2. Technically, "Junk" is "heroin." Rush was never a heroin addict, so I don't think you can him a junkie.
3. But even if he was a "junkie," by all accounts Rush is currently off the stuff so technically he would be a "former Junkie"

the G-man #537264 2005-11-08 4:09 AM
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
1. Rush is actually pretty slim now
Did he go on that Jennie Crack diet everyone's talking about?
2. Technically, "Junk" is "heroin." Rush was never a heroin addict, so I don't think you can him a junkie.
He ate oxy's like M&Ms! Oxy, morphine, heroin are all the same. They're opiates. The only differance is the size of the required dose
3. But even if he was a "junkie," by all accounts Rush is currently off the stuff so technically he would be a "former Junkie"
Yea? When was the last time he submitted to a random blood and urine analysis?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:I don't mind that. What I don't care for is just dismissing something because it's from a partisan websight.

Almost immediately preceding this post, you dismissed something I posted because it was from a partisan website.

magicjay38 #537266 2005-11-08 4:24 AM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

Magicjay38 said:

Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

Rush Limbaugh is acctually more slender than Al Franken and is a recovering drug addict.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

Magicjay38 said:

Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

Rush Limbaugh is acctually more slender than Al Franken and is a recovering drug addict.

Did he go through rehab? Where? Is he in a twelve step program or a cognitive behavioural program?

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
magicjay38 #537268 2005-11-08 4:53 AM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

magicjay38 #537269 2005-11-08 6:15 AM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

Magicjay38 said:

Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

Did he go through rehab? Where? Is he in a twelve step program or a cognitive behavioural program?

Yes acctually. Perhaps you should check you facts before spouting off, but I guess that would make it hard to take the positions you do.

Matter-eater Man #537270 2005-11-08 11:44 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Almost immediately preceding this post, you dismissed something I posted because it was from a partisan website.

Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Ironic that some Republicans are scolding a Democrat & then go on & do the same thing that their upset about. You offer a partisan websight with some hypocritical allegations with zero substance.

You'll notice that I also said what was wrong with the your partisan article besides just noting that it was partisan. Far better than what I get usually.

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

I'm guessing there wasn't anything you could argue & just did a sarcastic dismissive response.

It's even worse than that. I didn't even read the article. I dismissed the sourse, sorry, but it could very well be a "boy who cried wolf" situation in which they're acctually right this time, but i can't be bothered to bite everytime they cry conspiracy. In addition to my conservitive talk radio, I acctually listen to Air America on a weekly basis and keep up with NPR and the mainstream press, so I haven't issolated myself from the opposition, but I'll tell you, I've gotten some information from conservitive websites that I thought was important and I almost NEVER post it, because I know that would be futile.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
You'll notice that I also said what was wrong with the your partisan article besides just noting that it was partisan.

Not really. You just accused it of being hypocritical and unsubstantiated, without really explaining why.

the G-man #537273 2005-11-08 3:18 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
And speaking of that partisan website, another columnist does a pretty good deconstruction of the Joe Wilson story:

There are just too many anomalies in the Wilson mission to Niger to believe that anyone who wasn't planning to bash the president could possibly have chosen Wilson for the task.

He had no expertise in WMD, hadn't been in Niger since the 1980s, and had no intelligence training.

One of the most revealing aspects of Wilson's mission, relevant to showing it was part of a disinformation campaign, was that he wasn't required to sign a CIA secrecy agreement before taking on the mission. In plainest terms, that meant his CIA bosses wanted him to go public on his return. And he did. The other point that proves Wilson's mission was anything but serious is that, in Wilson's own words, he told everyone he met that he was an agent of the U.S. government.

In his July 6, 2003 NYT op-ed, Wilson said, "The mission I undertook was discreet but by no means secret. While the CIA paid my expenses (my time was offered pro bono), I made it abundantly clear to everyone I met that I was acting on behalf of the United States government."

You tell everyone you're speaking to that you're in the government's employ so they can feed you whatever line of baloney they want the U.S. government to hear?

Wilson's "mission," in short, was a pathetic joke and not an intelligence mission by any definition. The CIA knew this. Who in the CIA authorized, paid for, and managed this mission? Why did they do it? There's no plausible explanation other than the intent to embarrass and discredit the Bush administration.

A source who spoke on the condition of anonymity said Valerie Plame -- who suggested her husband for the Niger mission -- was too low on the CIA totem pole to have approved and paid for the mission. Logically the person who approved the Wilson mission would have had to be some senior person in the Operations Directorate.

Regardless of who started the mission, the CIA responded to the Novak column by sending a classified criminal referral -- the allegation of criminal conduct requesting a formal investigation -- to the Justice Department. When it did so, it had to have known that Plame's status was not covert (as defined in the Intelligence Identities Protection Act of 1982) and probably knew (it is an intelligence organization, after all) that Wilson had blabbed his wife's identity around town.

Why, then, was the criminal referral made? Who approved it? Such actions had to be approved at least by the CIA general counsel and probably by CIA Director Tenet or at least his deputy, McLaughlin. Why did they do that knowing what they must have known?

The December 30, 2003 letter from Deputy Attorney General Paul Comey appointing Patrick Fitzgerald special prosecutor, says, in part: "I hereby delegate to you all the authority of the Attorney General with respect to the Department's investigation into the alleged unauthorized disclosure of a CIA employee's identity." What was the allegation? If it were made falsely -- say with the knowledge that Plame's identity wasn't covert or had become public -- the person who made the referral may have committed a serious crime.

The whole Wilson/Plame affair stinks to high heaven. And the smell is coming from Langley. Porter Goss should receive credit for working hard to fix the CIA. The Wilson affair isn't his problem, it's ours. Right now, the CIA's disinformation campaign has cost Scooter Libby his future, threatens other White House staffers and -- most importantly -- burdens the credibility of the president in time of war. It affects our standing in the world, our relationship with our allies, and our strength in the eyes of our enemies. In short, this damned thing needs to be unraveled, publicly, and right bloody now.

the G-man #537274 2005-11-08 6:30 PM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
IF all that is true, then why did they need to blow his wife's cover?
Or did it take them too long to create the Swift-Ambassadors for Truth so they ruined the wife's cover for efficiency?

Bow ties are coool.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

I'm guessing there wasn't anything you could argue & just did a sarcastic dismissive response.

I acctually listen to Air America on a weekly basis.

You listen to it more than I do! Is this some form of fundy self-flagellation?

magicjay38 #537276 2005-11-08 7:44 PM
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
ummmmmmm.... what do flagella have to do with anything?
WBAM, do you have a flagellum, or is MJ being a dork?

Last edited by PCG342; 2005-11-08 7:45 PM.

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
PCG342 #537277 2005-11-08 8:25 PM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
IF all that is true, then why did they need to blow his wife's cover?
Or did it take them too long to create the Swift-Ambassadors for Truth so they ruined the wife's cover for efficiency?

Wilson blew his own wifes cover. I'm sorry, but it was public knowledge that they were married so if he was so concerned with exposing her wife as a possible agent of teh United sates where does he get off announcing to the world that he's doing undercover work for the governmet. At the very least her cover would be blown by nature of association. Or do you think possible threats to the united states will overlook that possibility.

wannabuyamonkey #537279 2005-11-09 12:17 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Wilson blew his own wifes cover....

Fitzgerald indictment reads otherwise, you may want to give it a read.

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
So when it comes to clearing Wilson we acctually care what the indictment says? because when it comes to Rove and teh idea that this was a retaliation job and Bush lied etc... everyone is guilty untill proven guilty.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Libby Lawyer: Woodward Testimony a 'Bombshell' for CIA Leak Case

Testimony by Washington Post editor Bob Woodward in the CIA leak case is a bombshell to the special prosecutor's case against I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, an attorney for Vice President Cheney's former chief of staff told FOX News on Wednesday.

The disclosure by Woodward in Wednesday's Post shows that Libby was not the first government official to tell a reporter the secret identity of a CIA operative, said Ted Wells, one of Libby's lawyers.

Libby resigned from his position immediately after he was indicted on perjury and obstruction charges last month. Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald alleged the former aide lied about his role in revealing the name of CIA operative Valerie Plame Wilson to reporters.

Plame Wilson is the wife of Bush administration critic Joseph Wilson. Her name was first revealed in a column by Robert Novak in July 2003.

Woodward wrote in his account of the testimony that he talked to Libby on June 20 and June 27 but didn't recall Libby mentioning Plame Wilson. Woodward's account undermines Fitzgerald's argument that Libby was involved in a scheme to discredit Plame Wilson by leaking her name and identity to the press, Wells said.

the Post reported that at least one unnamed senior Bush administration official told Woodward about Plame Wilson about a month before her identity was revealed in published reports.

The newspaper reported that Woodward told Fitzgerald that the official talked to him about Plame Wilson in mid-June 2003. Woodward and editors at the Post refused to identify the official to reporters other than to say it was not Libby.

Woodward said he has not been released to disclose his source's name publicly.

Mark Corallo, a spokesman for Karl Rove's legal team, said Rove was not the official who talked to Woodward.

I'm not sure how this is a "bombshell" for the prosecution, as it doesn't seem to be relevant to what Libby is charged with, to wit, lying to the grand jury.

the G-man #537282 2005-11-17 12:18 AM
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
The only thing I could think of was that if this isn't the first time an agents' cover has been blown, then why give this case so much special attention?

...you tell stories, we tell lies.
theory9 #537283 2005-11-17 1:23 AM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Because, in the world of criminal justice, even run of the mill cases become "important" if they get enough press coverage.

theory9 #537284 2005-11-17 3:25 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

theory9 said:
The only thing I could think of was that if this isn't the first time an agents' cover has been blown, then why give this case so much special attention?

It's post 9/11, Plame was an undercover agent, it involves the highest levels of our government. Remember Watergate started out as a burglary.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
yeah, but "burglary" is "bright line" crime. It's pretty impossible not to know that breaking into a locked office, no matter who owns it, is illegal.

Some of the rules on confidentiality in government are a lot more vague. As noted before it was, and is, questionable whether Plame's status was even confidential.

the G-man #537286 2005-11-17 3:58 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
I'm not sure how this is a "bombshell" for the prosecution, as it doesn't seem to be relevant to what Libby is charged with, to wit, lying to the grand jury.

It might help Libby because of Woodward's phrasing that it was all conversational chit chat with other gov't officials that occured before Libby's conversations with reporters. And it might help Rove as it supports his story & keep him from being indicted. I would think Woodward's sources might have some explaining to do if they came forward at this point though.

Not sure what to think of Woodward. He has actively commented on this story while secretly a part of it.

Fair play!
the G-man #537287 2005-11-17 3:59 AM
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Just a couple of questions I'd like to throw out that I haven't seen addressed here or anywhere.

If the leaking of the Valerie Plame's name wasn't illegal, does that still make it okay? Even if the claim of "no harm, no foul is true," was it still right for Plame's name to be told to a reporter, if that's indeed what happened, and for that reporter to print it?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, does a law have to be broken or does somebody have to be hurt for something to be wrong to do?

Last edited by Darknight613; 2005-11-17 4:01 AM.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
Darknight613 #537288 2005-11-17 11:47 AM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
As with any time it exercises its prosecutorial or police powers the government is not supposed to get involved in attacking legal conduct. Especially if the conduct involves the excercise of speech, which is protected by the First Amendment.

The other issue would be motive.

Some think the motive was to "get back" at Wilson.

Others think the motive was an attempt to point out that Wilson was unqualified for his post and there only because of nepotism. Bringing to light unqualified people holding government authority because of nepotism is far less sinister.

the G-man #537289 2005-11-17 2:03 PM
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
As with any time it exercises its prosecutorial or police powers the government is not supposed to get involved in attacking legal conduct. Especially if the conduct involves the excercise of speech, which is protected by the First Amendment.

Not really what I was getting at. Like I said, my question wasn't related to legality.

Quote:

Others think the motive was an attempt to point out that Wilson was unqualified for his post and there only because of nepotism. Bringing to light unqualified people holding government authority because of nepotism is far less sinister.

Point.

But if that was indeed the case, something doesn't add up.

Why didn't whoever did it step forward and admit it if there wasn't any wrongdoing, legal or otherwise, in their own opinion? If their motives were indeed noble, and if their actions were indeed legal, why not stand up and take pride in what you've done, especially now that we've seen the consequences of the leak and the effect it's had on the Bush administration? This could have been resolved long ago, and it would have prevented a truckload of fuel from being added to the flames of partisanship.

So getting back to the ethical and non-legal viewpoint, is it right to stand by and let other people be attacked and villified if they are indeed innocent? If Rove and Libby are genuinely innocent of all charges, is it ethical for the person who did leak the names to come forward to clear the names of his or her comrades in arms? Especially if Plame's name was leaked for noble reasons (in the eyes of the leaker)?

Last edited by Darknight613; 2005-11-17 2:06 PM.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
Darknight613 #537290 2005-11-18 12:50 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Good point Darknight. I was wondering sorta the same thing with Woodward. He makes a point saying the information exchanged wasn't a big deal, yet it was important enough to be kept a secret?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Reporters are supposed to keep confidences regardless of how "big" a deal it is.

the G-man #537292 2005-11-20 2:19 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
True, but if something is of no importance then you would think it could be "on the record" and Woodward's source would have come forward sooner.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Speaking from experience, it is not uncommon for even minor things to be spoken "off the record" or as "confidential source" for reasons unrelated to importance.

the G-man #537294 2005-11-20 3:25 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I wonder what happened that had Woodward's source come forward? Was it just an innocent slip or something else?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
More on Woodward's role, and who the leaker might have really been, from Newsweek:

Though he gave testimony to the special prosecutor, Woodward refused to publicly identify his source. But he has repeatedly emphasized on talk shows and in interviews that when all the facts become known, the Plame affair will be seen as much ado about very little. In private conversations with journalists, Novak has suggested the same.

So who is Novak's source—and Woodward's source—and why will his identity take the wind out of the brewing storm? One by one last week, a parade of current and former senior officials, including the CIA's George Tenet and national-security adviser Stephen Hadley, denied being the source. A conspicuous exception was former deputy secretary of State Richard Armitage, whose office would only say, "We're not commenting." He was one of a handful of top officials who had access to the information. He is an old source and friend of Woodward's, and he fits Novak's description of his source as "not a partisan gunslinger." Woodward has indicated that he knows the identity of Novak's source, which further suggests his source and Novak's were one and the same.

If Armitage was the original leaker, that undercuts the argument that outing Plame was a plot by the hard-liners in the veep's office to "out" Plame. Armitage was, if anything, a foe of the neocons who did not want to go to war in Iraq. He had no motive to discredit Wilson. On "Larry King Live" last month, Woodward was dismissive of the special prosecutor's investigation, suggesting that the original leak was not the result of a "smear campaign" but rather a "kind of gossip, as chatter ... I don't see an underlying crime here."

That doesn't mean special counsel Patrick Fitzgerald will fold his tent. Last week he announced he would present evidence to a new grand jury. While Scooter Libby's lawyers exulted that Woodward's revelation helped their client's case, Libby still faces strong evidence that he lied to the Feds. And it's not clear that White House deputy chief of staff Karl Rove is out of the woods. When and if the true identity of Novak and Woodward's source becomes known (if indeed they are one in the same), the two-year-old mystery may be resolved. But the game is not over yet.

Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard