I guess I have to do continuity cop... but first, one thing: nothing is NEEDED to be known outside what we have put in the story. My post about the city was more to suggest that the twin city are like night and day... one is an advanced metropolis of the future, the other is a wreck in the hand of crime (like Gooz, too, suggested in his post).

In any case:

The disaster in Promethean city harks to the "war with hell" depicted in the Vanguard story "Obsdian Illumination II", when the metahumans fought an unholy alliance between Naecken, one of the orginal Vanguardians turned evil, and the city-nation of Mandelovia.
The war began when the villains let a meteor fall over Promethean city.
It was a cool story, but not all that is written there is really compatible with what we have presented here. The twin city concepts come straight from the old MBL Universe, it was never implied in the Vanguard universe that the two cities were one near the other. Also, in that story Promethean was totally levelled, as much a big chunk of the country around.
I brought back the twin city concept because in the first post Gooz, in an appropriate, obscure way, said that the city was once "freed" by the metahumans. It was a nice homage to one of the first Vanguard stories, when the heroes were called Revolutionaries (HR issue 3, Welcome to Thunder City). Since it happened in Thunder, not in Promethean, I sinmply brought back the idea that those were neighboring cities...

The terrorist MBL was a group of metaterrorist that took the name from the name that our heroes had after they were known as Revolutionaries and before they took the name Vanguard.
They were the MBL : Metahumans Business League. The terrorist were the Metahumans Brotherood for Liberation, and went around making crimes dressing as the original Vanguardians.
At some point, they were able to seize the island of Manhattan, making it a sort of paradise for metas, separated from the whole world.
The story of how an alliance of Vanguard and other metas freed it is currently written by the Doctor...

All of this happened in the past (really, because the Manhattan story started one year ago), and while is somehow important to this world, since we don't really know what happened, shouldn't be a real issue for us...

As for the other thoughs... about villains, I think we just have to create them. More or less, there are not many villains from the Vanguard stories that could be brought back, usually they were always killed...
As for an Headquarter, I just think we must find a clever way to give them one... personally I don't feel the need, for now, but neither I would oppose it.