Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah, a drama.

Drama = not worth a minimum of 25 dollars.

I can wait.

6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Well, step out of whatever comfort zone you use to determine whether you do or don't see a movie and go see the damned thing. You afraid somebody will see you going in and think you're a queer?

Maybe I just don't want to pay $8 to watch a coupla dudes make out.

You think that's all that happens?

M Y O P I A

Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
I'm beginning to think that Brokeback Mountain is the gay Passion of the Christ. You know, the "get them in the theaters and convert them" type of deal.

Really? You think we're trying to turn you queer?

You take the two jokes I wrote, ignore my real explination, and then accuse me of being myopic.

I didn't see them as jokes. I didn't find them funny.

We all wear a green carnation.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That is pretty myopic, Jim.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Because you have no sense of humor.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Well, step out of whatever comfort zone you use to determine whether you do or don't see a movie and go see the damned thing. You afraid somebody will see you going in and think you're a queer?

Maybe I just don't want to pay $8 to watch a coupla dudes make out.

You think that's all that happens?

M Y O P I A

Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
I'm beginning to think that Brokeback Mountain is the gay Passion of the Christ. You know, the "get them in the theaters and convert them" type of deal.

Really? You think we're trying to turn you queer?

You take the two jokes I wrote, ignore my real explination, and then accuse me of being myopic.

I didn't see them as jokes. I didn't find them funny.

Maybe that's because you are acting like it's a recruitment drive.

What's next? Going door to door like Jehova's witness?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Ok, it's not a chick flick. If you haven't seen it, don't say that it is one. It's not.

I despise "chick flicks."

You're right, of course, I haven't seen it. However, I also, sometimes, judge books by their covers. Why else do publishers spend big bucks on designing dust jackets?

So far, other than the gay cowboy angle, I haven't seen a single ad or review of this film that doesn't describe it in terms that could as easily describe any other potboiling tearjerker.

They meet, they fall in love. They are pulled apart by outside forces. But they love doesn't die. They marry others but are unhappy. They continue to see each other and, then, one of them dies tragically, with the other vowing to never forget.

That, my friend, is a chick flick.

6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:

Maybe that's because you are acting like it's a recruitment drive.

What's next? Going door to door like Jehova's witness?

I think most of you with whom I interact on a daily basis on these boards are intelligent people. I think intelligent people should have some of their comfort zones challenged now and then as a possible of expanding their understanding of others around them.

I apologize for misunderstanding you and the others. Not Rex, though. I never thought that about him.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
When challenge challenges me, I challenge challenge.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
When challenge challenges me, I challenge challenge.

That needs to be one of them inspirational posters. Like the one with the kitten hanging from the branch and the caption reads "Hang in there." You motivate people, man.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The thing is, Jim, whether you mean to or not, the more you push this film as the greatest slice of cinema since Citizen Kane, the more it comes off like you are, in fact, declaring such because, well, dammit, "it's gay cowboys" and, if we don't care for that type of movie, we're homophobes.

Which doesn't exactly disprove my theory that this movie is being judged as much on political correctness as on its merits as a film.

6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
The thing is, Jim, whether you mean to or not, the more you push this film as the greatest slice of cinema since Citizen Kane

Again, I never used words to that effect nor have I once said that this is cinema that rivals anything from any time.

Quote:

the more it comes off like you are, in fact, declaring such because, well, dammit, "it's gay cowboys" and, if we don't care for that type of movie, we're homophobes.

You said that, I didn't.

Quote:

Which doesn't exactly disprove my theory that this movie is being judged as much on political correctness as on its merits as a film.

It doesn't support your theory either. And frankly, your not having seen it means you need to stand mute on its merits as a film. You've seen the movie poster, you can speak intelligently on that. If you've heard Willie Nelson's song, you can speak about that.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Exactly Jim!

Good point, good point.

Since many haven't seen it, they arnt judging it.

Therefore it isn't part of the awards.

Nominations are made by the entire community, not just a select few.

If the community doesn't agree with you too bad, so sad.

It doesn't have to change the way you feel about the film.

Herbie: Fully Loaded didn't get any nominations either but you don't see me bitching about it.

6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
My larger point isn't about our silly nominations.

It's about smart people broadening themselves just a little bit and maybe coming away with a better understanding about some of the other people who crawl around this planet with them.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
It's a movie.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Apparently, not. Its actually a litmus test of some sorts.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
It's about smart people broadening themselves just a little bit and maybe coming away with a better understanding about some of the other people who crawl around this planet with them.

So we need to see this movie to understand gay people?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I watched Close Encounters the other night to gain a greater understanding of the people we crawl around this universe with.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Exactly Jim!

Good point, good point.

Since many haven't seen it, they arnt judging it.

Therefore it isn't part of the awards.

Nominations are made by the entire community, not just a select few.

If the community doesn't agree with you too bad, so sad.

It doesn't have to change the way you feel about the film.

Herbie: Fully Loaded didn't get any nominations either but you don't see me bitching about it.

Ultimate Jaburg for Media mod!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

"I want to believe!"

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Why havent I watched the film?
Nothing to do with it being about gay people,its about the fact that the film genre is not one I particulary like (love stories,cause no matter how you paint it,thats what it is).
I rarely go to the cinema anyway,the reason being that it costs too much,just like most people here agree.
Would I watch it on tv?
Possibly,and if I didnt like it,I'd turn it off & not feel bad about it as it hasnt cost me a small fortune!

I loved the film Death trap with Christopher Reeve & Michael Caine,and that was about gay characters,so who cares what sexuality a film portrays.

I am not saying BM is a crap movie,as I would never seek to judge a movie without seeing it,I just do not believe it would interest me.
I always like being proved wrong though,as that means I generally enjoy a film more than if I expect it to be great!

Look how many votes there have been for Kung Fu Hustle.......not bloody many,so should I complain that there are lots of people here who have something against Asians?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

I am not saying BM is a crap
movie,as I would never seek to judge a movie without seeing it,I just do not believe it would interest me.
I always like being proved wrong though,as that means I generally enjoy a film more than if I expect it to be great!

Amusing.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
I didn't skip Brokeback Mountain 'cause it's a gay movie; I just don't like westerns.

But seriously, Brokeback Mountain only came out here a week or two ago. I've been working all week and so haven't seen it yet. So excuse me for seconding anyone's nominations for it.

For the record, I want to see it, mainly because I like the work of Jake Gyllenhaal (Donnie Darko, motherfuckers!).

Although Jim, it almost comes across as if you're taking the fact that not many people seconded your votes for the film as an indication that everyone here is a genre nerd who sees the big special effects movies and doesn't go out of their way for anything that could be considered more dramatic or arthouse.

Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
It bothers me that we have such a myopic set of posters. Oh yeah, they'll see SIN CITY and BATMAN BEGINS, but god forbid they see something that speaks a little more to the human condition.

Which, based on what I know of the posters here, isn't true. Yes, Batman and Sin City and... I dunno, Kong or something do probably get more attention here than they would in another environment, but that's just the way the tastes of the people here go. To make such a broad generalisation seems unfair.

If I saw The Producers and didn't catch Fag then, I think my immune system can handle the cowboy film.

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Jim I just don't think you can say anything for those that see this as a gay PC thing. It just doesn't matter to them.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
We don't see it as a gay PC thing, we see it as a movie we don't want to see.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
And thats just the way you guys choose to view it.
Its like a black guy getting fired from his job for stealing,then claiming it was racism!

If you dont enjoy a film,you aint gonna vote for it,no matter what the subject matter.

If you think people here are that homophobic,then nothing any of us can say will change your mind.
Maybe Crash wasnt voted for cause its about black people!

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I'm not playing the homophobe card guys. I can understand somebody not wanting to see Brokeback & liking gay people just fine. What I meant by referring to "gay/pc" is in reaction to comments alluding that Brokeback is getting hype & nominations because of it's subject matter. The possability that it's just a really great well done movie deserving of the nominations is set aside because well ya know it's got gay cowboys in it so it's got to be some PC thing powering the hype. The thing is though is there have been lots of gay movies preceding this. The ones I've seen ranged from bad to mediocre mostly. They didn't rate where Brokeback does. If it wins anything it won't be because it's a pc thing. I don't care if you see it or not but making certain judgements about something that you haven't seen just doesn't make sense.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
I'm playing the homophobe card guys. I can understand somebody not wanting to see Brokeback & liking gay people just fine. What I meant by referring to "gay/pc" is in reaction to comments alluding that Brokeback is getting hype & nominations because of it's subject matter. The possability that it's just a really great well done movie deserving of the nominations is set aside because well ya know it's got gay cowboys in it so it's got to be some PC thing powering the hype. The thing is though is there have been lots of gay movies preceding this. The ones I've seen ranged from bad to mediocre mostly. They didn't rate where Brokeback does. If it wins anything it won't be because it's a pc thing. I don't care if you see it or not but making certain judgements about something that you haven't seen just doesn't make sense.

I fixed your post for you.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
I fixed your post for you.

What can I say but repeat that I don't see it as a homophobe thing but a anti-PC thing. You & others on this board have a body of posts where I just don't see you as homophobes.

Fair play!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard