Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
So... what percentage of my posts have you actually read, then?

Last I checked, I was able to use every single character in a scene in my posts, and I managed to make everyone useful. Everybody posts using their own characters. They just have varying uses for all the others. You really think I'm excluding everyone else's characters? Take another look.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Okay. I just read everything you've ever written.

I'm still right.

Get to posting you whiney bitch!!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:
As for me, I'm fairly busy with work and church, coming down with something...

Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
I've been a bit under the weather over the past 24 hours or so, and I still haven't shaken whatever it is yet.

.....hmmmm....I think I smell a conspiracy....

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Seeing other people give excuses makes me sick. In fact I've been feeling so sick I haven't been able to post in this story at all!

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Okay. I just read everything you've ever written.

I'm still right.

Get to posting you whiney bitch!!

As I recall, pretty much everyone wrote posts highlighting their own characters for the majority of the time everyone wrote Vanguard stories. I have been trying to write everyone's characters more fairly, the way they would want them to be written, but for some reason that doesn't show up at all when you read my stuff. Okay, maybe you are able to write every single damn character perfectly. I suppose I'm not. I guess that makes you a better writer than me.

Guess what? I like the way I write. It's fun. And as much as I like your interviews and I would like one of my own, I don't feel you're being fair at all with your 'challenge'. You want me to write like you? Just come out and say it. I personally think I've done a good job of highlighting everyone's characters - maybe not as well as you, but certainly as well as the majority of the others who are working on this new story.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:

Shouldn't you be writing right now?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:

Shouldn't you be writing right now?

Fuck you.

I'm working on it.

P.S.: I referred to it as unfair because in my opinion you are expecting something of me you have not/would not expect of the other writers in here. Plus what the hell has anyone else ever had to do to get one of your interviews?

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
Plus what the hell has anyone else ever had to do to get one of your interviews?

Fuck me. Why?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
It's really not so bad. It's all over pretty quickly, honestly...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
P.S.: I referred to it as unfair because in my opinion you are expecting something of me you have not/would not expect of the other writers in here.

Listen, I've been dicking around with you all night, mostly out of fun. But, I've also been honest with you, as I like to think I generally am with everyone. I don't study my words very much, or worry about being insensitive because, frankly, we're all adults. And anyone who takes themself so seriously as to be offended by honesty doesn't deserve hand-holding or coddling. And that's NOT to say you're that type of person. I'm just throwing it out there, as there always seems to be some misunderstanding of my motives in what I say, by almost every writer here (save Danny and Chewy...those guys get me...probably due to time spent together).

Now, as far as why I'm "picking" on you right now? Very simple. And I shall explain it henceforth. However, I'm not going to debate you on the details. This is simply how I feel.

Let's look at your one and only post in this story.

All of us are going the distance in trying to find some way of presenting our characters at their wits end. Emotionally, philosophically, whatever. Even Grimm is coming across as troubled (although I'm certain the writer just intends this as being a common "arsehole" trait).

In one post, you have Phil make this forcibly-cool entrance where he is completely and utterly in control of himself, and his powers. He comes in, showing off his new threads (which you intentionally tied to Chewy's new theme for Icarus, for whatever reason), and, of course, a demonstration of how in control he is with his abilities. He shows no signs of introspection, surprise, alarm, or even the slightest hint that the complete redesigning of his world has affected him in the slightest way. He's Phil Smith. Uber-Cool Man of Mystery. Ish.

And that is it.

You have the chance to show Phil being human. To show his flaws, and failings. To show his insecurities and fears. You've always had this chance with this character. But, I've never seen you take him there.

In fact, all I've ever seen from Phil Smith, the character, is a consistent fight to be the alpha-male. You designed him to be generally infallible. He is Jason Bourne, master of weapons, hand-to-hand, and covert intrigue. PLUS, he's bloody Jean Grey....a full scale telepath and telekinetic.

Now, I get 'The Big'. In stories. In characters. I love The Big. Ask anyone. I'll go cosmic faster than Danny goes for the sarcastic one-liner. But, that's not all I write. And, I most certainly leave a level of extreme falliblity in my characters. At least I go to great lengths to try.

As a solo character, Phil Smith is wonderful. Full of mystery and intrigue. Full of power and intelligence. He's a one-man John Woo flick with eyebrows. But, in a group setting, you have seem to gone out of your way in the past to have him overshadow others. Dirk was the expert weaponsmith. But, then suddenly, Phil was, too. Grissom was the covert man of mystery and 007-like adventure. But, then suddenly, Phil was, too. In The World of Darkness, every character was affected by the evil of that dimension, usually causing a hinderance of some kind. A limitation to overcome. But, Phil? Phil became fucking Neo, and tapped into some kind of Ulti-Nature power. How is that limiting?

I am only one opinion, and one writer. I have no more of a say over your character, and the legitimacy therein, than I do any other writer here. But, I call them like I see them.

Have you ever written other characters in your posts? Yes. Have you ever written them well? Definitely. But, the majority of your writing deals with how Phil can expertly deal with a situation. The challenge isn't to neccessarily live out your fantasies with a fictional character. It's to give that character life. A fully-rounded, well-oiled, perfectly understandable being that at least part of is relatable to real life, and real people. There's nothing I can relate to with Phil. He faultless. He's flawless. And, he's so powerful, I'm encapable of reasoning why he would need or want to be in a group. He's a one-man army.

In the past I have outright punked your character as a joke. I've also wrote him as a newbie. Or, I've concentrated on a specific ability, and tried to find the levels there. I've also used him as you use him...the ultimate badass. But, in the end, I cannot tell you what Phil Smith dreams at night. I cannot tell you his greatest fears, or his greates desires. I cannot tell you what his purest beliefs are, or what he does in his spare time. I cannot tell you anything about the human under the abilities.

If you are so dead-set on focusing every post on your own character, that's fine. We all do it from time to time. I've always found that if I make my own character the least relevant in certain scenes, it adds to the group dynamic. It allows me to get in and have fun with everyone elses character. And, in turn, it allows others to come along and play with mine. That's really the whole point of group writing. Not just showing off your sandbox, but, letting others build castles with your sand. And you, with theirs.

In the end, these are the things I want to see from you. These are the things I know you are capable of achieving with Phil. But, if Phil is always "on"...if he's always the superman...always the best at what he does, period...well, then, he remains a one-note, two-dimensional cliche'. Which either forces me to ignore him....or....rewrite him in scenes...or....bitch at you.

Now, this was alot of rambling. But, given your level of intelligence, I feel fairly certain you can pick out my point.

I like writing with you Phil. I was just hoping that, after two years (three?), you would have evolved your character past this point by now.

Motherfucker, make Phil Smith cry!!

I hope this makes it a bit clearer for you. And please, don't get hurt feelings. If I didn't give a shit, I would just fucking ignore you...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:
It's really not so bad. It's all over pretty quickly, honestly...

I still have that flower you left on my pillow....

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
nice to see so many story posts made since I was last on. . .

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
And that's the last bit I have to write with Nadia. Euro feel free to take her over as a character. I realize that I have to follow this post up at some point with Ozzy actually having a reaction. But, I don't want to do that right now. So, Euro, I would suggest you and Grimm have a "Round 3" between Nadia and Grimm. Or, maybe Victor and Icarus can be usefull in this instance. Either way, everyone elses call.

It's a new world...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Out of boredom, I did a Google search for the name "Ozzy Baxter", just to see what images would come up...

Look!

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Awesome post.

BTW, is Ozzy heavier than a normal human? I just wasn't sure.

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Thanks. Don't read too much into the Lyly conversation. I'm just exploring new angles with him.

As for his mass, I would think it's a little more than his weight appears outright. But, he's not solid "metal", if that's what you're asking.

And if anyone is wondering how Nadia found them, well, it's part of her character. I'm sure Euro will explain it....

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Posted.

I didn't find a good spot for revealing her power, so if one of the writers who will follow my post would find a good spot to do, she has a meta-traking-power related mostly to her nose. She smells her prey. Plus the usual shit about having the resources to hack on Echelon and such.

So, I'd say she followed the flight of Ozzy from the castle to the Munich by "the Raptors" transmissions (if I got correctly that the raptors were the ones who were shooting at the airfield) and then, in Munich, she simply followed the smell.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
I forgot to say: awesome post, Pro!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
And, quite honestly, back at you man. That short little post has some well-thought-out strategy. Well done.

But Euro, I have to ask......her nose??

When I suggested a metahuman tracking ability as her only power, I meant in the way that she could mentally detect metagene signatures, and lock onto them. Kind of like how immortals can detect each other in Highlander movies and shows.

But, hey man, your call. Still, it makes me think of Elastic Man wiggling his nose...

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Pro, don't diminish the power of... nose!

Butterflies and some species of birds find their way in their annual migration from Africa and Europa just by th scents they detect.

Some species of vultures find the carrior smelling them by kilometres.

Some dogs have discovered tumors in people just by the smells, are able to tell (at basic level) truth from lie by the smell, and lot of wonderful things.

Insects finds their mates by feromones, i.e. scents, by dozens of kilometres.

Doing it Mentally would be doubling Phil. Noselly (does this word exists?) it's just her own. What's the difference between using mind or nose? Just makes her down to earth, and animal like? If so, that's good. She's no immortal, and leaning on her wild side.

And can you picture her, narrowing her eyes and widening her nostrils, when she has smelled a prey?

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
About the short post: for some time get used to me writing short. It's an year, more or less, that I don't write English often, and I am quite rusted up. I need time to train, to regain an acceptable speed.

Glad you liked the strategy...

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Check and mate.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Prometheus! How the hell are you man?

Have you ever looked into a mirror and wondered if behind it was another world, the same... but totally different?
- Reflection (2002) UTOPIAN PRODUCTIONS
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
Euro, do you have any visual model in mind for Nadia?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Nice work, Grimmers.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
1 post
1 post
Being dead sucks.

GoozX #647561 2006-04-01 12:30 AM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

GoozX said:
Prometheus! How the hell are you man?

Alive and kicking, man. Yourself?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:

TTT, just talking to Euro through PMs, he used The Bride from "Kill Bill" to describe her....but, she's also Asian, or half-Asian, I'm unsure. I usually imagine something between the young girl in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (can't remember her name) and Lucy Lui. But, that's just what I got from it. Euro may tell you different...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
Nice work, Grimmers.

....someone's not speaking to me...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Drake Marshall said:
Being dead sucks.

Quiet you!!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
Nice work, Grimmers.

Oh, I just read Grimm's post. NOW I see why you liked it...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Funny stuff Grimm.

So, Oz is going to be emotionally distraught now. Have him say nothing, and be morose in the background from now on. I'll get back to him probably tomorrow or Sunday, and deal with these personal revelations. Thanks...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Excellent introspection, CJ! Really enjoy seeing Lykopis blooming like this...

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
Nice work, Grimmers.

....someone's not speaking to me...

I'm sorry. Did you say something?

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Excellent introspection, CJ! Really enjoy seeing Lykopis blooming like this...

Thanks. I was really worried about this post. See, I thought it would be nice to write in a way that someone still new to Vanguard reading could get certain notions reinforced. I mean, if you're reading the sequel to a novel, nine out of ten they're going to fill you in on the previous stuff. I don't want to hammer it in, just a sprinkle. PLUS, it did get Lykopis to notice the changes, so the post sort of did double-duty.

Okay, anyone and everyone is welcomed to write the next post with Lykopis and Gunther. I was totally channeling 'The Mummy' when I wrote this, but somehow, simply slapping the man with a book just wont cut it. I'm just curious to see what ideas y'all come up with.

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Grimm, good post, just I don't understand why you had to negate the presence of the police.
Detaining her from using the phone was sufficent to have not the police coming; negating the very presence of the police at the bank makes her looking unprepared, a thing one like her, that fight supermen without having useful powers, can't allow herself to be.

You even did not take the time to explain what the sirens they heard were...

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:

I have a visul of her in my mind, but I have not yet found a good reference. When I described her to Pro, I said she's a mix of Asian types, Philipino/Burma/Maori/Chinese. The Bride from Kill Bill is a good reference for her character, but not for her phisique.

I have in mind something I saw in a French comic, but It's not something I own, and I don't even rememeber the title...

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Just a quick note to say that I haven't read the story in a couple days - so I don't know what nummy tidbits y'all have been working on - but I plan on printing it out and leafing through it at work on my break, so hopefully that should bring me to posting within the next couple of days. Cheers!

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

Drake Marshall said:
Being dead sucks.

You can be alive in the MBL thread. Come there!

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

Eurostar said:
Grimm, good post, just I don't understand why you had to negate the presence of the police.
Detaining her from using the phone was sufficent to have not the police coming; negating the very presence of the police at the bank makes her looking unprepared, a thing one like her, that fight supermen without having useful powers, can't allow herself to be.

It's called "moving the story forward" which we can't do if we're constantly being drowned by the police, federal agents, constant interruptions blah blah blah.

It's not that Nadia was unprepared, it's that she was bluffing. Vanguard called her bluff. (although really, how prepared can one be for a bunch of people who's abilities are unknown to the public at large? The only person she's aware of or knows about is Baxter.)

I might ask you why did you negate the fact that Sidewinder was already using his abilities to keep the police confused and away from that general area?

Quote:

You even did not take the time to explain what the sirens they heard were...

Yes, I did. It was the fire enginges responding to the explosion. But they were slowed down by Icarus as well.

It's not the best post I've ever done, and everything may not have come out as well as I intended, but everything you need to know about what happens is included in the post.

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard