“Come on, Quinn! You are the smart one in the team. If you don’t apply yourself to the case, we can close the business as well!” joked Doug, the pliable shape-shifter, looking down from the roof of the Thunder Dome Bank Building.

That night, for the first MBL meeting in over three months, the four remaining members of the team, Doug, Midnight, Marvelo and Quinn Stevens had chosen to regroup in Thunder, instead of the usual meeting spot on one of the roofs overhanging the darker alleys of Promethean City. The need of better moments, of a brighter hope, made them to opt for the shining and futuristic skyline of the twin city.

The black and silver garbed hero shook his head. “How can I even think of going into action… when I was not able to save the life of my girlfriend…”

“You weren’t there, my sad friend…” remarked Marvelo.

“Yes. I wasn’t there. When she needed me most” answered Quinn, a grimace of inner pain distorting his face.

“I know how you feel, I’ve lost friends and relatives thanks to those Thugs we fought months ago. Crying don’t help at all, I assure you. Fight, Quinn, fight!” said Doug.

Quinn shrugged. Easy to say that, he tough. Debbie was the only thing that kept me from getting crazy fighting monsters and supercriminals. It was my anchor to reality and now… she’s gone…

Midnight turned toward the young man. “Come on, Quinn. Blow your nose and take a good breath. There is something kidnapping children out there, and we must find what is it.”

Quinn raised his face to look at the man. Maybe he was right.

He wiped his face with an arm, and looked straight across the street, dozen of levels below, to an old brownstone building adorned by marble statues.

“Ok, guys. First stop, the Thunder Museum. We must find what really happened there, three moths ago.”