Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

Yeah, except you believe that level of scrutiny only applies to Republicans, no matter how false and trumped-up the charges.

And that holding Democrats (Bill Clinton, Hilary Clinton, Harry Reid, John Kerry, Nancy Pelosy, Richard Durbin, Howard Dean...) to the same standard is only "partisanship" and "right-wing conspiracy".

As fortune would have it, even a broken clock is right twice a day, and George W. Bush's presidency (in contrast to other Republican presidencies of recent decades) has been a showcase of errors and unused opportunities. But many of the same mistakes and abuses of office were ones you defended when it was Clinton in the white house, and not Bush.

But no matter how partisan, how vicious, and how unproven the allegations by Democrats about Republicans, or about the very principles and history of the nation itself, you're all too eager to beleive it.

You can't white wash history and pretend we're perfect.

\:rollseyes

Did I say that? No, you just deliberately twisted reality, and scripted me to say that.

From the other topic today:
  •  Originally Posted By: WB
    , from the Independence Day topic :

When in fact, we have a history we can be proud of. I read an article a few years ago that said: "the United States has done more good and less evil than any government in the history of the world." Some mis-steps, certainly, but that should not be disproportionately over-emphasized, in an otherwise unique, great and noble history. Only cynics with prejudice and ulterior motives could see it otherwise.

and...

Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

It seems to me that all you do is attack America. That you truly hate it, to the point that anything said about the good of this country makes you bristle with contempt.

I didn't say that this country is perfect. But I did say there's a lot more right than wrong.

With your attitude toward the United States and its citizens, I really think you belong in another country. Canada perhaps. Or Iran. Or France.

Originally Posted By: Ray

You know every other country thinks they're the greatest.

Not really. I had a girlfriend from Colombia who said for her and others in her country, their country was largely just a place where they lived, and that she never saw patriotism and proud display of the flag until she came to this country.

I'll grant that for nations like France or Russia or China or many other nations with a longer history and cultural identity, that's probably true.
But not always.

And every empire in history has reached a certain level of prosperity and then fell apart due to corruption and hubris.

Such as due to leftist disloyalty to national interests, wrong-headed students of liberalism who want to dissolve borders and melt our nation into some kind of international conglomerate.
Corrupt liberal sympathies for muslim radicals who slaughter and behead innocent people, instead of sympathies for more legitimate interests of their own nation and its own higher standard of humanitarianism and justice, however occasionally flawed our nation is in a few abberant cases?

I never had a problem with Clinton being investigated and scrutinized. But lying about oral sex? Was that really worth the millions in investigation? That was an orchestrated effort (by the very definition a conspiracy) to get Clinton. Coulter admitted to leaking information to drag out the Jones matter, Brock has come forward and admitted that he was part of it and took directives to get Clinton no matter what.

Coulter exposed what she thought to be an outrage, that liberal/Democrat media was largely not reporting and sweeping under the rug.

Both Clintons were involved in Whitewater, and in deliberately propping up a savings and loan to protect their own investment, causing a larger federal loss of roughly a billion dollars in taxpayer-funded bailout.

The Clintons rented out the Lincoln bedroom to Chinese campaign donors, and then paid them off by allowing them to obtain missile technology, so the Chinese now have nuclear-tipped ICBM's that can reach the United States.

The Clintons gave a billion a year in freebies to the North Koreans to bribe them into giving up nuclear development, and naively required no verification to assure the North Korean were complying, which gave the N. Koreans 10 years to freely develop nukes (which you now blame Bush for, and absolve Clinton of any responsibility in letting this happen).

Clinton engaged in securing FBI files of key Republicans, to get the dirt on their private lives and try to intimidate them into silence (i.e., "Filegate").
And comparable to the Libby exoneration you have such contempt for, Clinton pardoned dozens of criminals right before he left office, a number of them campaign donors, or friends of campaign donors.

Those are just the ones I can think of offhand.

My point is, exactly what you criticize Bush and Republicans for, is exactly what you ignore, rationalize and gloss over, when it's liberals and Democrats doing the very same things or a damn close equivalent.

These are more serious matters than sex or a civil lawsuit.

no, that's just how you dismissively rationalize perjury and obstruction of justice. Not to mention selling out U.S. national security, as I detailed above.

Debating the war and criticizing a failing president is the best thing for this country. Stirring up debate helps get the right results, and admitting our faults and shortcomings allows us to improve. Just waving a flag and saying "America is great" only allows those faults and weaknesses to grow until we topple (see: Rome)

I'd say the decadence of the Left since 1965 is a closer parallel to Rome (undefended borders, rampant immigration, undermining belief in our nation and its institutions, allowing fragmentation along cultural/ethnic lines in the name of "multiculturalism", undermining the institutions of marriage and family, declining birth rates, abortion, and other assorted decadence)

To your central point of debating the war, my problem is that you never voice anything but contempt for the United States.
You rationalize muslim violence in alleged defense against American imperialism, but simultaneously paint the entire 150,000 soldiers in Iraq as guilty of the same behavior as 7 aberrant army guards at Abu Ghraib.

There is a difference between constructive criticism of the United States, and your blind condemnation of everything our nation does in defense of its interests, and the interests of the free world. (You also ignore that I've voiced a small mountain of constructive criticism myself, in many posts here over the last 6 years).