I Feel Pretty, So NeoCon Pretty
500+ posts
And it shows off Robin's DNA better...

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Grimm
I don't know what you said, but I'm sure it's something along the lines of "but ALL pencilers everywhere should draw ALL details ALL the time" or some such nonsense and "blue IS the easiest!" or somesuch.

No, not really. I admit I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

What I was saying was that someone, either the penciller or inker (depending on the art team) had to decide how to portray the shading on Batman's cape and figure out how to make it stand out to the reader from the (typically dark) background.

There are two ways to do this. The preferable way (IMHO) from an artistic standpoint is to take the time to design and render the panel so that the artwork allows you to place Batman in a nighttime setting but still render the cape in primarily black. That can be more challenging, however. The page has to be composed so that, for example, you don't have the black cape blending into the black sky, or the shadows in the batcave or any of the dozens of other night scenes that make up the setting of a typical Batman comic book.

The other way is to do what comic book artists (pencillers and/or inkers) have done for decades with "black" objects in comic books: leave out most of the black and have the colorist color it blue. The blue stands out better to the reader from the dark background better, making it easier to compose the panel.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
i get what you're saying, g-man.

the "blue stands out better" theory might be applicable to the laziest of extremely lazy artists, as two similarly black colors may present themselves inseparable to the reader's eye. but even in today's "he's teh lAzIEsT aRTisT evar!!1!" internet critic viewpoint, that at best encapsulates only half of the artistic population.

and, even more damning to that theory, there is no legal binding stating that the "blue" has to be the cape. artists of that laze-factor could simply feature a black cape in the foreground, with a simplistic blue sky, or brick red building filling the background.

plus, even above and beyond all that, it would almost never be a black cape in front of a black sky or alley. rather, it would be a dark gray cape in front of a dark blue sky -- even in a pallette of 64 crayola colors, there is enough contrast. though, in the wolrd of digital computer coloring that we so readily embrace today in our comics, this would ideally be portrayed as a deep charcoal gray cape, illuminated with the ambient glow of a green neon light in front of a rolling, cloudy, crimson sky.

giant picture
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
I'm rollin' wit Rob.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
500+ posts
500+ posts
Does DK know?

And I thought you rolled the OTHER way, Oosh...

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Beardguy57
And, having a black cape, boots, and gloves makes Batman look like what he is:

A creature of the night.

Actually that makes him sound vaguely like Paddington Bear working in the garden.

The best version of Batman's costume is still Midnighter's, although this one is still good too:

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
good one dave...

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
Batman 670 was pretty depressing.

kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
In the latest we learn that The Sensei is Ra's Al Ghul's father!

SPOILERS!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard