Originally Posted By: whomod
Al Franken summed it up in his Lying Liars book:"They (conservatives) don't get it. We love America just as much as they do. But in a different way. You see, they love America the way a four-year old loves her mommy. Liberals love America like grown-ups. To a four-year-old, everything Mommy does is wonderful and anyone who criticizes Mommy is bad. Grown-up love means actually understanding what you love, taking the good with the bad, and helping your loved one grow. Love takes attention and work and is the best thing in the world. That's why we liberals want America to do the right thing. We know America is the hope of the world, and we love it and want it to do well. We also want it to do good."

Liberal writer Al Franken, meet liberal writer Richard Cohen:

• [The] tendency to blame America for the moral shortcomings of others unfortunately permeates the left and the Democratic Party.

I got the first whiff of it after Sept. 11 when some people reacted to the terrorist attacks here by blaming U.S. policy -- in the Middle East specifically but around the world in general.

The same sort of reasoning -- if it can be called that -- surfaced before and during the war with Iraq. Although I supported the war, I could always understand some of the arguments against it. But I could not understand those who said the war was about oil or empire or reconstruction contracts and who seemed to think that Saddam Hussein was the lesser of two evils -- the United States being the greater, of course.

Below the surface of this reasoning seethes a perplexing animosity toward the United States -- not the people but the government and the economic system.

Originally Posted By: the G-man

Some liberals claim to love America, but the only thing they ever do is criticize it. They seem to think that patriotism means ONLY criticism of Bush and/or the direction of the country in general.

Isn't is possible, once in a while, to actually say something positive about the place (other than that it gives them the right to bash it)?