Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
 Originally Posted By: Jason E. Perkins
The fact that you actually posted that and expected to be taken seriously is hilarious.

Should I take this to mean that you don't think both are open forums?

I think it's hilarious that you equate Rob's Board with his show. That's like equating Lance Armstrong and a ten-year old who occasionally rides his bike to a next door neighbor's house. You can talk potential all you want, but you can't deny that a difference exists between the two.

And just so you know, I'm not defending anyone who poked fun of Ledger or his family after he died. I'm not defending anyone, including myself, who has poked fun of anyone who has died.

What if the boards got a bigger reader base...Say a million posters/viewers. Do you think we should censor ourselves in the event of such a huge migration?

No.

Now let me ask you a question. Over the years several of us have posted threads and such relating traumatic experiences we were going through, including the deaths of loved ones. Have you ever responded with a joke?

Edit: that wasn't a rhetorical question, by the way. I really don't know the answer.

Just wondering if you'd acted any differently than Gibson under similar circumstances. If not--if you have poked fun of someone's loss knowing your joke could have a personal effect--then I can see why you'd feel Gibson was in the right.

Quote:
Morals? What qualifies as "moral" exactly? Censoring one's feelings?

Considering the feelings of others, I'd say.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Which brings me to my next point: Do people really put much effort into making alts anymore?

Apparently not.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
technically his show isn't an open forum. he, like every radio host, screens calls ends calls when he doesn't like the direction it's taking and generally the whole format and tone of the show is controlled by one man.

But I'll humor your position for a moment: What if the boards got a bigger reader base...Say a million posters/viewers. Do you think we should censor ourselves in the event of such a huge migration?

do you mean "censor" as in rules regarding speech? no. do you mean it in the way that we all censor ourselves from doing tacky jokes at the expense of little girls who just lost their fathers? yeah, i think that would be the decent thing to do.
again, this is not about whether he had the right to say it. it's about him being an utter tool for being such an asshole.

Quote:
 Quote:
these boards have a very very small audience, his show has a large audience. no one is talking about censoring him,

Give it time.

Quote:
 Quote:
we're saying he's an asshole for what he said. just because you have the freedom to be an asshole, doesn't mean it's moral to be one.

Morals? What qualifies as "moral" exactly? Censoring one's feelings?

i find it odd that he felt giddy about someone's death because he didn't like a movie the guy did. i find it odd that he had such disregard for the way the family might feel that he made tasteless jokes on the air. i find it odd that there are even people defending him. this isn't about free speech or about passing censorship laws. it's about john gibson being an asshole.

Bow ties are coool.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
do you mean it in the way that we all censor ourselves from doing tacky jokes at the expense of little girls who just lost their fathers? yeah, i think that would be the decent thing to do.

See, this is the thing, Ray. All kidding aside, I agree that Gibson was being insensitive. But Ledger's kid is only two years old. She doesn't know what Gibson said and wouldn't understand it if she heard it.

Accordingly, the idea that Gibson's insenstive joke was somehow "at the expense of [a] little girl" is pretty over the top... and I suspect you would agree ....if he worked for any news outlet other than Fox.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think it's hilarious that you equate Rob's Board with his show. That's like equating Lance Armstrong and a ten-year old who occasionally rides his bike to a next door neighbor's house. You can talk potential all you want, but you can't deny that a difference exists between the two.

Of course there's a difference. There's just not enough of a difference for the principles of a forum not to apply to both situations. An equal amount of principle similarity exists between the two examples to give my views credence.

Quote:
Now let me ask you a question. Over the years several of us have posted threads and such relating traumatic experiences we were going through, including the deaths of loved ones. Have you ever responded with a joke?

Edit: that wasn't a rhetorical question, by the way. I really don't know the answer.

No. But then again I never responded to them at all because I could basically care less about other people's loved ones. I actually think it's pretty stupid to bring a person's private sorrows onto an open forum. So even if I never responded in a joking manner to "loss," that doesn't mean I'm going to denunciate anyone who feels like hijacking a "loss" thread. They're just doing more directly what we all do everyday in a wider scope.

Quote:
Just wondering if you'd acted any differently than Gibson under similar circumstances. If not--if you have poked fun of someone's loss knowing your joke could have a personal effect--then I can see why you'd feel Gibson was in the right.

No. I wouldn't have acted differently. In fact, I would have repeated a joke I made in a separate thread in regards to AIDS and Jake Gyllenhall.

EDIT: Or even a conspiracy theory joke in regards to Nolan murdering Ledger for the sake of helping along Batman's viral marketing campaign.

Quote:
Considering the feelings of others, I'd say.

So yeah, censoring one's feelings.

Last edited by Pariah; 2008-01-26 7:47 PM.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
if he worked for any news outlet other than Fox.

Fox rarely stoops that low.
I think it's just weird that someone would giggle over the death of another human being. he was taking joy from the death, not finding humor in some grim part of it.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
do you mean it in the way that we all censor ourselves from doing tacky jokes at the expense of little girls who just lost their fathers? yeah, i think that would be the decent thing to do.

I don't. In fact I find it token and ridiculous.

Quote:
this isn't about free speech or about passing censorship laws. it's about john gibson being an asshole.

Okay then. That's perfectly fine.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Of course there's a difference. There's just not enough of a difference for the principles of a forum not to apply to both situations. An equal amount of principle similarity exists between the two examples to give my views credence.

I'm not sure what you mean by "An equal amount of principle similarity." Still the fact remains that you said there wasn't a difference between the two. But there is. And that's funny.

And, if you like, I'll say that everyone who made fun is an asshole. Again, I defend no one.

Quote:
They're just doing more directly what we all do everyday in a wider scope.

What's that?

Quote:
No. I wouldn't have acted differently. In fact, I would have repeated a joke I made in a separate thread in regards to AIDS and Jake Gyllenhall.

Then I can see why you'd defend him.

Quote:
So yeah, censoring one's feelings.

When appropriate.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think it's just weird that someone would giggle over the death of another human being. he was taking joy from the death, not finding humor in some grim part of it.

I don't think he was taking joy. I think he was doing the same type of stuff we do here and the same type of stuff that people like Howard Stern do (you might recall the shitstorm he created when he joked about Selena's death).

Again, it was insensitive. And an argument can be made that a news station shouldn't let it's commentators made jokes about dead celebrities because of taste issues.

But TV news--all TV news-- blurs the line between real news, commentary and infotainment more and more every day. Gibson is far from the only person who has done, or will do, things like this on a national program, with far less outcry from people here or elsewhere.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
so this guy is an asshole and you drag it out talking about free speech and how other people make jokes and i must hate all jokes if i hate one joke?

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
No, as I made it clear my point is that your reaction (citing the daughter, for example) seems more emotional than required under the circumstances.

There's the PJP/Perkins reaction, which is understandable and well-stated, and your reaction, which just seems like piling on because its a guy from Fox.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "An equal amount of principle similarity." Still the fact remains that you said there wasn't a difference between the two. But there is. And that's funny.

Then allow me to make a semantic correction: Even though there is a difference in the source of the mediums, that does not the make the nature of the two dissimilar.

Quote:
What's that?

Poking fun at life. Which so happens to have death in it.

Quote:
When appropriate.

I don't think it's ever appropriate personally.

Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
you forgot to stick to you gimmick, you should be punished!

(shrug) John Gibson isn't exactly the most pun-friendly name. Although I could've said something about the foul pun-gency of his comments.

This is not vengeance. This is pun-ishment.

"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability." — Edgar Allan Poe
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Even though there is a difference in the source of the mediums, that does not the make the nature of the two dissimilar.

There is a difference in scope, though, which is the point Gibson's detractors are making. Everyone who made fun of the loss of Ledger lacked tact, by standard measurement. Gibson, because of the scope of his audience, was potentially hurtful.

But, hey, the point is moot.

Quote:
Poking fun at life. Which so happens to have death in it.

For most people, poking fun has it's limits. Many people have made fun of life's futility but didn't joke about 9/11 right after it happened. Were they wrong to respect the dead and the living who mourned them? Was it wrong to get mad at the people who danced and celebrated when the towers came down?

It's a personal matter, I suppose.

Not saying Ledger's death = 9/11. Just saying that the fact that it's okay when done indirectly doesn't make it okay when it's done pointedly.

Quote:
I don't think it's ever appropriate personally.

Then that's where you and many people differ. But just as you didn't go out of your way to make a hurtful comment at the expense of posters during their times of loss and/or grieving, I believe that Gibson should have shown restraint. Freedom of speech is nice and all, but knowing when to shut up is nice too.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You can get Ann Coulter for free, by the way.

Tramp.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: The Pun-isher

(shrug) John Gibson isn't exactly the most pun-friendly name. Although I could've said something about the foul pun-gency of his comments.

'Atta boy.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Gibson, because of the scope of his audience, was potentially hurtful.

That's fine. I just don't personally care. And I think it would behoove others not to care either since Gibson's opinions are irrelevant to their lives. I find the idea that verbal restraint is a matter of social propriety rather than a subtle form of social bondage to be disturbing. It's because of that kind of hockey that Muslim culture was waging war against cartoonists; "Don't hurt our feelings or we'll firebomb you!" I think it was Al Sharpton who pulled the same kind of crap with Larry Elder by going straight to KABC and threatening to push out their sponsorship unless his show was taken off the air.

Quote:
Were they wrong to respect the dead and the living who mourned them?

If they truly wanted to, then no it's not wrong. But if they're holding back more radical feelings for the sake of propriety, then I do find there's a form of oppression at work.

Quote:
Was it wrong to get mad at the people who danced and celebrated when the towers came down?

"Wrong" isn't the word because it wasn't wrong and no one else should feel it was wrong of them to do; it's just their culture. At the same time, that doesn't mean it would be improper of us to resent their actions even if we don't respect their reasons for doing it. It's not wrong. It's just in their nature as a culture.

Quote:
Just saying that the fact that it's okay when done indirectly doesn't make it okay when it's done pointedly.

I think the world would be a better more honest place if no one saw a difference.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts

I win again!

Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts

I win again!

Only because I gave you the win-dow of opportunity to do so.

Besides, it's easy to win against your own alt.

"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability." — Edgar Allan Poe
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
it still counts right?

Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
it still counts right?

Seeing as arguing about it is probably counter-productive, sure, why not.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
great.

I WIN AGAIN!

the Offline
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
Grimm Moderator Horseman of the aPOPalypse!
15000+ posts Wed Jan 30 2008 01:56 AM Viewing list of forums

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard