Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
not to spoil anything, but might I suggest that when the movie is done, you might want to wait with leaving until after the credits...

Just a thought, juuuuust a thought...

Racks be to MisterJLA
Chant #942315 2008-05-01 6:14 PM
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Quote:
Confirmed Iron Man movie spoiler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

spoiler

At the end of the credits, Stark comes home and finds Nick Fury in his living room -staring towards the window. He then turns to tell Stark he's the not the only superhero in the world. Stark asks who he is, and Fury turns and says he's "Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D, and I'm here to talk to you about The Avengers Initiative"

I'll be the first one to say that this sounds rather cheesy.

It's typical comic geek stuff. "Avengers Initiative"?? WTF is that? sez the general moviegoing public? And thus you end a perfectly good film with an ending most people who don't even know who the Avengers or Nick Fury Or fucking S.H.I.E.L.D. for that matter, are, will be left scratching their heads at.

Luckily it sounds as if they've buried it where most people won't notice it. But this is the pitfall of a comic book company, who's audience continues to dwindle every year to where they now only number a few thousand, owning the movie studio. You start thinking the movie audience is the same as the comic book reading audience. And for the most part, IT'S NOT!

Chant #942317 2008-05-01 6:15 PM
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
Yeah, because Sam Jackson is Nick Fury and pays Tony Stark a visit.

SPOILERS!

Glacier16 #942319 2008-05-01 6:16 PM
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
Damnit whomod!

Glacier16 #942322 2008-05-01 6:17 PM
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: K-nutreturns
im just suprised he didnt call you beardguy jr...

Don't encourage the boy!

Glacier16 #942335 2008-05-01 8:21 PM
fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Glacier16
Yeah, because Sam Jackson is Nick Fury and pays Tony Stark a visit.

SPOILERS!

The irony is that I didn't get to see it, because I didn't know about it until I'd gotten home from the movie theatre

Racks be to MisterJLA
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Jeremy
I'm seeing it Friday.

Or not...time for a back up plan.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Please keep us updated.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
5000+ posts
5000+ posts

Quote:
Robert Downey Jr. is ready to play the hero in 'Iron Man'

The reformed bad boy is back on the industry's radar. It's probably that flying metal suit he's wearing.

By Rachel Abramowitz
April 27, 2008

TO become a mega-movie star these days, a man must don the tights. With a few notable exceptions like Leonardo DiCaprio, who had the good fortune to be in the highest-grossing movie of all time (that would be "Titanic"), almost every $20-million man has done his time as a caped crusader, masked marvel or some popcorn equivalent, such as a pirate or extraterrestrial G-man. Call it the Nicolas Cage career plan, in which Cage traded in artistic cred for more muscles, Bruckheimer-bravado and enormous paychecks. In his canny wake have followed Johnny Depp, Tobey Maguire, Keanu Reeves, Will Smith -- the list of stars who've streamlined their individuality for mega-stardom goes on and on.

Now it's Robert Downey Jr.'s turn.

Huh?

HARD AT WORK: Robert Downey Jr.’s versatility is tested by three diverse roles.

Yup, the 43-year-old ex-junkie, ex-con, Oscar-nominated professional entertainer is renouncing his title as the talent most likely to disappoint, everyone's lovable screw-up, the walking cautionary-tale. He's assuming the mantle of "Iron Man," another in a long line of comic book renditions, which hits theaters Friday, kicking off the summer movie season.

Given Downey's years as a reigning wit, an unflappable, unpredictable screen presence, the thought of him soaring the skies in a red metal suit and bopping bad guys is a little depressing to someone over 25, except for the fact that Downey seems so darn happy about it. Really, really happy. Relieved. Maybe even grateful.

He's about to barnstorm the world on a month-long "Iron Man" tour, and he's genuinely thrilled. Finally, he's the headliner -- the one with his mug on dolls and Slurpee cups. "It's feeling the support of the machine of the industry and all that behind you. You know, supporting what you busted your ass doing," he explains.

Despite having worked in Hollywood since he was a teenager, Downey has never been part of the blockbuster machine, the kind of star who makes studio execs see dollar signs. "I'm just on people's radar in a different way," he says. "If you're not on someone's radar, you don't notice because there's no, like, business pheromone coming off of them."

REDEMPTION

LIFE is finally good.

He's not dead. He's not on drugs. As recently as five years ago, Downey had to pay for his own insurance to even appear in a movie, and now a studio is banking a huge franchise on him, and the buzz-o-meter is off the charts. As Tony Stark, debonair super-nerd weapons tycoon turned superhero, he's playing a character who is essentially a PG-riff on his persona -- he's decadent-lite, a self-indulgent high-flier who wakes up at age 40 and decides to do good. In the film, Stark is captured by guerrillas in Afghanistan, realizes how the arms he's been pushing for the last decades are creating more harm than good and develops a techno-suit that allows him to fly, shoot fire and escape his jail cave. It's an origin story, refashioned as a coming-of-middle-age saga -- Stark sets out to atone for his life of sin -- but will he be redeemed?

Hmmm. Art imitating life anyone?

Almost every movie star with a brain is professionally charming in an interview, but Downey's charm goes far beyond that. It appears wired into his DNA, an endearing need to be liked that coexists with a fierce desire not to care what anybody thinks. Antic deadpan is one of his modes. Teflon vulnerability is another. You have to spend only five minutes with the guy to understand why Hollywood stuck by him through his travails -- it's a testament to his talent and innate likability.

When the cast of professional image-managers finally leave the hotel suite, Downey sprawls out in a chair with balletic grace and downshifts into a thoughtful-philosophical-jazz monologuist mode. He's ready to professionally opine on himself as required by his role as atoning movie star. He smokes a cigar, perhaps his only remaining vice, and his innate restlessness is confined to fidgety opening and shutting a small silver suitcase that contains a cornucopia of vitamin supplements for his upcoming multi-continent publicity tour. "That's a pituitary formula. That's for jet lag," he says, pointing to various bottles. "Anyone who doesn't need their yin tonified is beyond me," he deadpans.

CLIMBING BACK

Downey has been working up a storm -- by many accounts he steals the show in the late summer comedy "Tropic Thunder" with his performance as an Oscar-winning Australian actor named Kirk Lazarus who goes for the ultimate transformation by having his skin darkened in a Singapore clinic so he can convincingly play an African American screen commando in a Vietnam epic. "He stays in character all the time even when he's not filming," explains director/costar Ben Stiller. Still, as Stiller notes, "the voice and his look is so far from who he is, when [Robert] would drop character, it would be disconcerting. He's been underutilized in the comedy world."

Downey also has his would be-Oscar contender later this year. Just last week, he finished his part as Los Angeles Times columnist Steve Lopez in "The Soloist," a film about Lopez's relationship with a musically gifted homeless schizophrenic, played by Jamie Foxx. Downey says his wife, producer Susan Levin Downey, told him, "You look like a billy goat with your gray beard and the hair. She goes, 'Put a nice rinse in your hair for the press tour and shave, and don't come home until you've cleaned up things,' " recounts Downey.

Downey's sober re-ascension of Hollywood is a far cry from the guy who was once arrested while driving his Porsche down Sunset Boulevard naked, chucking phantom rats out the window. Or the man-boy who played Goldilocks by wandering into a neighbor's house and falling asleep in a child's bed only to be awakened by paramedics. The years 1996 to 2000 flashed by in a blur of drug arrests and failed drug tests, and was capped by a year's stint in the California state prison in Corcoran after he violated probation. He reemerged in television's "Ally McBeal," won a Golden Globe and was fired after he tumbled off the wagon and was arrested for cocaine and methamphetamine possession.

After a year in rehab, he began rebuilding his career again, eventually nabbing more interesting movies such as "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang," "Good Night, and Good Luck," "Zodiac" and "Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus." Still, no one was thinking of him to top-line a would-be commercial juggernaut, and "Iron Man" didn't exactly drop in his lap.

"Much to my surprise, I really didn't fit any of the criteria for the kind of actor they thought they should cast," says Downey.

The film is the first to be fully financed by Marvel, the comic book giant. Unlike Spider-Man, who's earnest, or Batman, who's moody, Iron Man is a geek turned chic -- Bill Gates crossed with George Clooney, a hero for the Google age. It would be better if the actor who played him was actually smart, rather than pretending to be smart. And for the Marvel team, there was one more potential hurdle -- Iron Man never starred in his own TV series, and so doesn't have the mainstream awareness factor of his more famous superhero brethren. It mattered -- a lot -- who donned Iron Man's shiny red turbo-suit.

As it turned out, Downey brought along his own bag of amusing tricks -- upgrading the character's flip awareness -- adding subtext and sizzle when there wasn't any.

Producer Kevin Feige, who's also president of production for Marvel, remembers being distinctly underwhelmed by the first list of potential Iron Mans sent over by the casting director. "Nothing popped for us," he says. Director Jon Favreau, who'd popularized retro-cool in "Swingers," made a mainstream hit with "Elf" and had been brought on to give the film some hipster panache, was fiddling with something on the bookshelf when a name suddenly dropped from his lips: "Robert Downey Jr."

"We both went, 'That's interesting,' " says Feige. They quickly dismissed the idea, but still it lingered.

Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark (Mark III armor) in the movie "Iron Man" is not the first respected actor to take on a heroic role after a career that may not seem suited for it.. Here are a few other actors who've recently donned a cape, or pirate's scowl, or just a plain black suit and become cinema good guys.

As it turned out, Downey wanted the part but wasn't exactly sanguine about his chances. After he met with the Marvel team, its then chieftain Avi Arad walked him to his car and told him, "You're a real craftsman." It felt like one of those very kind brushoffs -- Downey suspected his casting in "Iron Man" was unlikely.

But he didn't give up. "Nowadays, I really, really trust synchronicity," says Downey. "It's not just one way. There's a whole realm of possibilities. Everything is so connected that it's not one single event that determines anything. I refused to not champion myself for this. I said to Jon [Favreau], 'If you don't mind, I'm just going to keep imagining this is possible.' "

"There were people in our company who directly said, 'No. You can't [cast Downey]. Next," says Feige. They started looking at alternatives, but Favreau and Feige also set about making the case for Downey. They called the insurance companies, which had no problems with Downey anymore because he'd been clean for five years. They called colleagues who vouched for him. The filmmakers pointed out that even the family-friendly giant Walt Disney had no problem putting Downey in "The Shaggy Dog."

The room warmed to Downey -- but still the actor would have to screen test for the part, the first time since his Oscar-nominated performance in "Chaplin."

FULLY PREPARED

GIVEN his spark-flying mind, it's easy to assume that Downey ad-libs what he does on screen, quipping, prancing, dancing with effortless humor. Ironically enough, however, when auditioning for "Iron Man," he prepared for the test of his life.

Not that he likes giving away his trade secrets. "I'm a little far out with my methods, but it works for me," he says, explaining he believes in energy, and "the feng shui of it all." Still all the mysticism appears grounded in basic hard work, memorizing lines so thoroughly that "literally if you woke me in the middle of the night I could tell them as quickly as I could tell you my driver's license. Then I write it out illegibly so as I think I'm knowing it, if I can read it in this kind of gobbledygook then I actually know it. Then I write it out in an acronym so that the first letter of every word is just a cue. And then I literally read that as fast as I can read it because I'm training my subconscious now to respond to it."

Then he checks himself, and annotates the script with notes about the action's subtext or alternate lines, which he hopes are funnier or more poignant. "You've got your wheels under you and you can start moving upstairs a bit," he says.

"His mind works so fast, and his thought process continues in such a unique way. He's able to make these brilliant connections -- metaphors spring out and he's able to stay right on scene," says Feige, who got to see Downey Downey-ize the character. "A lot of it was in the script, and it sounds like he's riffing. A lot of it was riffed. Most of it was 'branched out' " from what was written. The script had two bland robot helpers for Stark, which Downey transformed into twee British adjuncts in the John Gielgud mode.

It's dizzying to hear the meticulousness of Downey's routine, but somehow the very laboriousness is what Downey seems to crave. Routine, rules, a pattern. As he talks, he drops shards of what seems to anchor him -- his wife, his helpers, wing chun kung fu, a psychological commitment to the present, to not over-mythologizing what goes on in his life. That purposeful centeredness applies even to what he calls his "Red Sox experience," of landing the role in "Iron Man" after years of wandering in the psychological and professional desert.

"The problem was I could have gotten so stoked that I ran out of steam and wound up being sick for the two first weeks." Now he's learned to manage the crazy expectations of his own psyche.

"I just kind of honestly feel that this is just kind of like me making good on the promise of my late teens in a way," he says, and he's going to savor every second of the delayed blossoming, not just the work, but the hoopla, the autographs, the machine of fame that once threatened to pulverize his soul. "Every day between now and the end of the month for me is like a kind of closure on this incredibly ridiculously tough and wonderful and awesome and ghastly experience of coming to L.A. 25 years ago."

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I didn't read any of that.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Too far about your fourth grade reading level?

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
y'can't make a reading comprehension joke when you mistakingly use "about" instead of "above".

it just loses all of its value.

giant picture
whomod #942389 2008-05-02 1:00 AM
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: whomod
 Quote:
Confirmed Iron Man movie spoiler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

spoiler

At the end of the credits, Stark comes home and finds Nick Fury in his living room -staring towards the window. He then turns to tell Stark he's the not the only superhero in the world. Stark asks who he is, and Fury turns and says he's "Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D, and I'm here to talk to you about The Avengers Initiative"

im a closet fanboy

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Too far about your fourth grade reading level?

wbam?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen
y'can't make a reading comprehension joke when you mistakingly use "about" instead of "above".

it just loses all of its value.

Yeah. I've really got to work on my typing skills.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Maybe stop copying and pasting all the time? I know that would mean thinking for yourself but I think you might be able to handle it.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
just got back from seeing iron man, great movie. maybe best super hero movie ever, i'll sleep, reflect and know for sure tomorrow.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Iron Man fucking rocks..or roxors. Make sure to stay through the credits.

Makes Spider-man look like batman returns....

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
stripper pole in the private jet? oh yes, this movie was off the chain...

"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
i think what set this movie a part from other comic flicks was the depth at acting. Robert Downey Jr. because of past substance problems and early comedic roles never did get his due as a great actor, and here you have one of the best actors in years playing the lead in a super hero flick.

Jeff Bridges playing the villain was a great casting decision, he plays a over the top prick but doesnt come off as hey look at me im over the top, it was subtle and built slow till the end.

Terrence Howard is an very good actor as well as Paltrow and you have them playing supporting roles, so none of the scenes came off as cheap but it actually seemed like any good movie with the main character just happening to be a super hero.

the great thing about the script i think was instead of the obligatory having to get you to being the hero scenes in the first super man, spidey, and batman flicks, it was fun watching him transform into the hero.

plus it was cool to watch him kick the shit out of the terrorists.

my only complaint is Stane didnt drink white russians....

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Terrence Howard was good?

I was afraid he would ruin the quality of the movie since he always comes off as a pretentious prick in most of his roles.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I thought Howard did a good job in the first hour of "Crash" and when he didn't it was largely because of the fact the script failed his character at that point.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
His acting in Crash was okay. But I'm thinking of his parts in Animal and The Best Man.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
Terrence Howard was good?

I was afraid he would ruin the quality of the movie since he always comes off as a pretentious prick in most of his roles.

all the characters came off as layered in this movie, which was surprising most superheroes movies try to play of duality of the secret identity vs the character, and all the supporting characters have a duality as well but this one seemed to have some better writing, or the actors and the director carried out the story better than it was written...

50000+ posts
50000+ posts

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Fucking awesome. Went to an early show to avoid the crowd, and it was still packed. One of the best damn comic adaptations I've ever seen.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Fucking awesome is right.

Mrs G and tried to go to an early show but it was all but sold out so we went to the 7 pm show.

She's not a fan of most comic book movies. She liked the Spider-man films and she likes some genre films and TV shows ("Lost" is currently her favorite show). But, for example, she didn't like any of the Batman films (even "Begins").

About half an hour into the film, she whispers to me "Wow. This is really a great movie."

I gotta agree. This is up there with the first Superman and Spiderman 2 in terms of the best comic book movies. And I think that "Dark Knight" is going to have a hard time not getting overshadowed by this film.

The only significant weak part of the film was that Terrance Howard's voice seemed way too fey for Jim Rhodes. I sort of wish they'd gotten, for example, Dennis Haysbert from "24" to play Rhodey. But even that was a relatively minor beef.

Oh, and the scene after the credits. Because of this board I knew it was coming and we waited for it. Very few of the audience did, of course.

Warning, Spoiler:
But waaaay up behind us in the back of the theater, there was a group of guys in their late teens.

When Sam Jackson turned around, said he was Nick Fury and wanted to talk to Stark about "the Avengers initiative," one guy in that group let out this bizarre moan/screech of joy. It was fucking hilarious. I think it was the first audible geekasm I've ever heard.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
The only significant weak part of the film was that Terrance Howard's voice seemed way too fey for Jim Rhodes.

Yeah, that bugged me too.

Oh, and the scene after the credits. Because of this board I knew it was coming and we waited for it. Very few of the audience did, of course.

We had to deal with this jackass who after the animated part of the credits were over, kept saying ,"He said it was after the credits! Where is it? It was supposed to be after the credits! Why haven't all these other people left? It was supposed to be after the credits!"

I almost turned around and asked his buds, "How the hell are you friends with this dipshit?"

My only real complaint was the fact that the movie theater was almost full when we got there; so we had to sit on the second row, which fucking sucks.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
We sort of lucked out with the theater because when we found out the earlier show was packed, they told us that we would be better off just going into the 7 pm theater and waiting. Mrs G at first wanted to hang out in the lobby but the girl was smart/cool enough to tell us "I wouldn't. People are already going in". As a result we got really good seats.

The only other really, really, minor thing that sort of bugged me was the fact they kept saying that Tony's dad worked on the Manhattan project and the first A-bomb. That seemed a little odd because, if Tony was around forty, that means he was born in the mid to late sixties and his parents would have been at least middle aged (probably older) when he was born. But the picture of his parents on newspaper when they died showed two people who were pretty young at the time of their death. Also, they talked about Stane being similar in age to his dad. Since Stane was obviously in his sixties, if that was the case, Tony's dad couldn't have worked on the A-bomb project.

But that was a pretty minor thing. Furthermore, as BSAMS mentioned, Bridges fucking rocked as Stane. In fact, Mrs. G didn't even realize he was Lebowski until I explained to her that's why I was laughing when Obidiah make the derogatory remarks about hippies.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
New York Times:
  • Comic book adventure "Iron Man" proved its mettle at the North America box office and topped expectations, kicking off the summer movie season with estimated weekend ticket sales of $100.75 million and marking a commercial rebound for its star, Robert Downey Jr.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I was told who's playing the part of the "end of credits" person.

Sucks.

I can't take three steps in the movie world without tripping over this over-exposed tard. I am so tired of seeing his face plastered everywhere. He simply is not that good of an actor.

I mean, c'mon! He has a recognizable face and viral personality, but beyond that, his appeal is nil.

Last edited by Pariah; 2008-05-04 6:19 PM.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
He's a good actor. I tend to agree his fanboy tendencies have made him choose some questionable roles. Still, it was a fun scene, especially given that they waited to put it after the credits, instead of trying to shoehorn it into the movie.

Besides the best performance of that character was Charlton Heston in "True Lies," even if they had to call him "Spencer Trilby"

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Samuel Jackson is a great actor when he has good material, but like you said he makes questionable decisions on roles to take.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Besides the best performance of that character was Charlton Heston in "True Lies," even if they had to call him "Spencer Trilby"

Agreed.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
I was told who's playing the part of the "end of credits" person.

Sucks.

I can't take three steps in the movie world without tripping over this over-exposed tard. I am so tired of seeing his face plastered everywhere. He simply is not that good of an actor.

I mean, c'mon! He has a recognizable face and viral personality, but beyond that, his appeal is nil.

christ you are gay...

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
You two have obviously just met.

kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
Saw it twice this weekend. It rocked that hard!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
are you going to go see Iron Man as well?

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Yes, we dont need to know about Elsias penis!

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard