http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080621/SPT04/806210424/1071

Quote:
Edinson Volquez went a long way toward earning a return trip to Yankee Stadium Friday night.

Volquez went seven innings, allowing two runs on seven hits, to beat the New York Yankees 4-2 before 53,421 at Yankee Stadium to help the Reds snap a five-game losing streak.

"Edinson was outstanding," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "It was one of his best games. He threw strikes. He didn't let the crowd bother him."

It was Volquez's 10th win. He trails only Arizona's Brandon Webb in that category. Volquez leads the National League in ERA at 1.71 (1.56 better than Webb) and in strikeouts at 110.

All this points to Volquez possibly starting the All-Star Game on July 15.

"I hope so," Volquez said. "I don't know yet. If they give me the opportunity to start the game, I will."

Volquez liked the big stage.

"A lot of fans," he said. "Big city, New York."

Baker wasn't surprised Volquez handled the pressure.

"Everyone else was wondering about it," Baker said. "I wasn't. He's a very mature, poised young man. He did what he's done all year."

Jolbert Cabrera was the hitting star. He went 4-for-4 with a two-run double before leaving the game after sliding into second base when advancing on a wild pitch in the seventh inning.

He dislocated his left index finger and is headed for the disabled list. The bone came through the skin.

"It's sad to lose another shortstop," Baker said. "He made some great plays out there."

Cabrera had the key hit in the three-run fifth.

Edwin Encarnacion singled to start the inning. Corey Patterson sacrificed him to second. Paul Bako grounded out 4-3 against the drawn-in infield.

The Yankees intentionally walked Jay Bruce to get to Cabrera, who lined one into the left-field corner. Bruce scored from first base to make it 3-1.

Ken Griffey Jr. followed with a line single to right. Third base coach Mark Berry sent Cabrera. The ball beat him easily, but he was safe with a great slide and it was 4-1.

Joey Votto's 12th homer gave the Reds an early lead. Votto smoked a 1-1 pitch from Mike Mussina that landed well up in the seats in right.

"That was big to get us out to a lead," Baker said.

The Yankees tied it in the third. Melky Cabrera led off with a single. He moved to second on a groundout and to third on a Volquez balk. He scored on Johnny Damon's broken-bat grounder against the drawn-in infield.

Volquez had great stuff. His fastball was 93-97 mph. He was pitching with an extra day of rest.

"I think I had a little extra," he said. "I don't throw the four-seamer no more. I just throw the two-seam fastball."

But he pitched to contact. That allowed him to keep his pitch count down - he threw 103 - against one of the most selective teams in baseball. "I'm getting better," he said.

Volquez was really tested in the seventh. He gave up back-to-back, one-out singles to Alex Rodriguez and Hideki Matsui. But he got Jason Giambi to fly out before giving up an RBI single to Robinson Cano.

The crowd was chanting "Let's go Yankees! Let's got Yankees!" by then. But Volquez struck out Cabrera to strand the runners.

"I don't pay attention to those guys," Volquez said.