Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Comic Books Jump to new posts
Blood Hunt Lothar of The Hill People 2024-05-02 8:12 PM
Spoilers at the link

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/m...eaths-black-panther-thor-doctor-strange/

It's Marvel's turn for a vampire uprising! In the first issue Sone popular characters were bit and stabbed. Who knows how permanent any of this will be. Still it was a good read with good artwork.
0 9 Read More
Politics and Current Events Jump to new posts
Re: Dick Van Dyke speaks up. Wonder Boy 2024-05-02 12:51 AM
Well... it's nice to see Dick Van Dyke again, after many years.

But even at a minute and 12 seconds, he barely even implied a lucid thought about the gag order on Trump, over Trump's most recent trial by Judge Juan Merchan.

He said the mainstream news media pushed a recurrent narrative about the U.S. Supreme Court being "corrupt" because the Court had delayed a ruling about Trump's gag order (to either support the gag order, vs. U S S C ruling in favor of Trump's free speech rights).
And then the media went silent on the Supreme Court issue, and instead has focused entirely on the need for he public to sympathize for Palestinians in Gaza, and how he "feels manipulated" by the sudden shift in narrative by he media. (and even that summary might have given some undue clarity on my part to Van Dyke's murky comments.)
Van Dyke APPEARS to be supportive of Trump, and critical of the news media narrative, but I really can't be sure what Van Dyke is trying to say.

But even that much is probably courageous for a Hollywood celebrity to say on the subject.
Whatever acting roles Van Dyke might have recently lined up have probably just been rescinded, because he gave the slightest whiff of supporting Trump.
1 19 Read More
Re: the Sub-Mariner's 80th birthday Wonder Boy 2024-05-01 10:58 AM

I just again ran across another good Sub-Mariner story, that ran in MARVEL FANFARE 43, April 1989, by Bill Manlo, with beautiful art and colors by Mike Mignola and Craig Russell.

[Linked Image from milehighcomics.com]

Love that cover !

Here's the full issue online.
https://viewcomiconline.com/marvel-fanfare-1982-issue-43/
Or at :
https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Marvel-Fanfare-1982/Issue-43?id=73368

Mantlo and Mignola also did another earlier Sub-Mariner story in MARVEL FANFARE 16 back in Sept 1984, that isn't nearly as nice.
https://viewcomiconline.com/marvel-fanfare-1982-issue-16/

Mignola's art made huge strides forward in quality during the 5 years between these 2 stories. It marks the point where Mignola made the transition from trying to exclusively be an inker, and left inking to become a penciller. Mignola in a COMIC BOOK ARTIST interviw quotes Al Milgrom's "Editori-Al" here, where Milgrom said of Mignola, "As an inker, you make a great penciller", that he says was Milgrom's way of telling him You're a really shitty inker.
And once he switched to pencilling instead, Mignola's popularity really took off.

Some other early stuff by Mignola that really got my attention were some covers for the fanzine THE COMIC READER (issues 196, 203 and 212, circa 1981-1983)

And the 4-issue ROCKET RACCOON series in 1985, after which Mignola said he never had to struggle to get freelance assignments after again.
And in 1988, Mignola's covers on BATMAN 426-429 for Starlin's "The Death of Robin" issues.

And Mignola's first solo writer/artist story in BATMAN: LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT 54, Nov 1993,.
Soon after which, Mignola ventured ino his first HELLBOY miniseries in March 1994. For which ongoing series over tha lest 30 years, Mignola has achieved god status in the comics world for the massive universe of tiles expanding from that first miniseries. Not to mention 3 successful Hellboy movies.
32 5,859 Read More
Re: Neal Adams, his art and his influence Wonder Boy 2024-04-29 5:56 PM

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Continuing on the work Adams did for Pacific Comics, beyond SKATEMAN, And ECHO OF FUTUREPAST, Adams also did a few issues that got a lot of attention at the time in 1981-1982.
It was big news that Adams was coming back and doing work again in comics for Pacific, on the character MS MYSTIC.

The first appearance was a "Ms. Mystic" 4-page preview by Neal Adams, as a back-up story in
CAPTAIN VICTORY 3, cover-dated March 1982.
https://viewcomiconline.com/captain-victory-and-the-galactic-rangers-1981-issue-3/

And then a seeming eternity later, a full issue of MS MYSTIC 1 finally came out at the end of the year in 1982. And then after another eternity about 2 years later, in 1984. And before issue 3 had a prayer of being published, Pacific Comics was out of business, by August 1984.
There were a lot of jokes in fandom a the ttime about how sporadic and late these two issues were, and Adams' inability to meet deadlines. It was the very lack of deadlines and contracts with creators tha caused Pacific comics to fold. Their books were beautiful, but consistently late, and that cost them readers and sales, because their announced publication dates were unreliable, and readers lost interest waiting.
And as was said in "The Rise and Fall of Pacific Comics" article by Jay Allen Sanford, when Neal Adams visited he Pacific warehouse, he'd disappear out back wih a bunch of guys and smoke a lot of marijuana, and as Sanford said, did a lot to explain why Adams seemed unable to make deadlines.

• https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2004/aug/19/two-men-and-their-comic-books/

Ms Mystic was running later and later; Neal Adams always promised "more soon," but a year passed and only a handful of finished pages had arrived. Adams did manage to turn in a one-shot comic in 1983 called Skateman, a tale of a roller-skating superhero that made Marvel's Dazzler seem like Proust by comparison. Several palletloads of unsold Skateman comics gathered dust, and no amount of salesmanship could unload them on accounts who were by now too savvy to believe that a "marquee name" on a comic cover guaranteed sales.

... "The reason Pacific Comics failed can be summed up very simply," Steve Schanes informs me. "We had two lines of activity: publishing and distribution. Most of our comic books still made money hand over fist, but there was a big problem in distribution. We extended too much credit to retailers who didn't pay us on a timely basis, and we were already working on a minuscule profit margin, maybe 5 percent to 8 percent. We didn't push hard enough to get the money from receivables, who owed us hundreds of thousands of dollars. If you had to boil down the single biggest reason we blew it, that would be our poor cash management on the distribution side."

Meanwhile, newer indie publishers, inspired by Pacific's success, competed with it for readers, as did resurgent underground publishers Kitchen Sink, Last Gasp, and Rip Off Press, whose titles were distributed through Pacific's warehouses. And surely other publishers -- Capital City (whose Nexus comic outsold several Pacific titles), Comico, Aardvark-Vanaheim, Educomics, Quality, Eagle, Eclipse, First, Vortex, New Media, Fantagraphics, Mirage -- feared that having Pacific, a rival publisher, as their distributor could result in their being cut off from comic shops.

Seeing and exploiting this, dozens of smaller distributors were springing up all over the country, even in San Diego. Nearly a quarter of Pacific's 800 or so comic-shop accounts defected to alternate distributors in 1984, skipping out on paying Pacific for upwards of three months' worth of comic books. Compounding matters, often those distributors were getting their comics through Pacific, and they too would stiff us on the bill, using their unpaid booty to lure away wholesale customers already in debt to Pacific.

MS MYSTIC (1982, first series, from Pacific)
1 Oct 1982
2 Feb 1984

The first issue of MS MYSTIC was published with standard comics paper and printing.
Wih the second issue, Pacific had begun upgrading to offset printing and better paper.

And then both issues were reprinted in a better format as the first two issues of a new MS MYSTIC series by Continuity:

MS MYSTIC (1987 second series, by Continuity)
1 (r 1, first series) Oct 1987
2 (r 2, first series) June 1988
3 Story by Neal Adams. Pencils by Brian Murray and Neal Adams. Inks by Ian Akin, Jan 1989
4 Story by Neal Adams and Peter Stone. Art by Terry Shoemaker, Ian Akin and Brian Garvey, May 1989
5 Story by Neal Adams and Peter Stone. Art by Dwayne Turner, Mark Beachum and Brian Garvey, Aug 1990
6 Story by Neal Adams and Peter Stone. Art by Dwayne Turner, Ian Akin, Stan Drake and Brian Garvey, Nov 1990
7 Story by Peter Stone. Art by Andre Coates and Ian Akin. Aug 1991
8 Story by Peter Stone. Art by S. Clarke Hawbaker and Stan Drake. Mar 1992
9 Story by Peter Stone. Art by Dan Barry and Brian Garvey, May 1992

Followed by:
MS MYSTIC (1993 3rd Series, 3 issues, May 1993-Aug 1993)
1 Story by Neal Adams and Peter Stone. Art by Dwayne Turner, Ernesto Infante and Alberto Saichan., May 1993
2 Story by Neal Adams and Peter Stone. Art by Brian Apthorp, Ernesto Infante and Alberto Saichan., June 1993
3 Story by Neal Adams and Peter Stone. Art by Louis Small Jr., Rudy Nebres and Joel Adams.Aug 1993

and
MS MYSTIC (4th series, 4 issues, Oct 1993-Jan 1994)
1 Rise of Magic. Story by Neal Adams and Peter Stone. Art by Dwayne Turner and Neal Adams. Oct 1993
2 Shaman's Woe. Story by Neal Adams and Peter Stone. Art by Luke Ross, Rudy Nebres and Nelson Luty. Nov 1993
3 Story by Neal Adams and Peter Stone. Art by Luke Ross and Crusty Bunkers (possibly Neal Adams). Dec 1993
4 Story by Neal Adams and Peter Stone. Art by Steve Carr, David Dace and Matt Brundage. Jan 1994

That all look great, but have increasingly less Neal Adams, and more Continuity Associates staffers who draw just like Neal Adams. I didn't find the story content that enthralling, but I still am knocked out by the art, and pull out my Continuity collection every few years and enjoy looking at them. Similarly with the other Adams Continuity titles. But despite the number of hands involved, they look very consistent across the entire run.

Damn these are hard to separate from each other !
The only way I could separate the last 2 series from each other and get the right order was by the cover-dates on the first page indicia in each issue.
The person who scanned the online stories reversed volumes 3 and 4 (That they counted as series 2 and 3, apparently ignoring the first series from Pacific, since they were reprinted in the 1987 series. )
37 3,852 Read More
off topic and offensive posts Jump to new posts
Re: Happy Leap Day,You Filthy Animals! Barth 2024-04-28 2:26 AM
Duuuuuuuhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii heard that!
1 123 Read More
Writer's Block Jump to new posts
Re: The Ultimate Warrior died. McGurk 2024-04-23 12:13 AM
It never did take much to trigger you, *clears throat* little brother.
6 3,043 Read More
Tony Gonzalez serves with scumbags. Lothar of The Hill People 2024-04-21 5:54 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tony-gonzalez-minor-sex-ukraine-aid.html

They do seem ike scumbags. I wonder how much of what he says is true.
0 45 Read More
Re: Moments that define just how evil the Democrat party really is Wonder Boy 2024-04-18 2:22 PM

DEMOCRAT-CONTROLLED SENATE DISMISSES IMPEACHMENT WITHOUT EVER HEARING THE HOUSE'S IMPEACHMENT CASE

• by Mary Lou Masters

The Democratic-held Senate voted on Wednesday to dismiss both articles of impeachment against Department of Homeland Security Sec. Alejandro Mayorkas.

The House voted to impeach Mayorkas on Feb. 13 over his handling of the crisis at the southern border, and presented the articles to the upper chamber on Tuesday. The Senate quickly killed the impeachment trial across party lines, with the upper chamber voting down the first article 51 to 48 and the second 51 to 49.

Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska voted “present” for the first article of impeachment.
    (RELATED: EXCLUSIVE: Sen. Roger Marshall Goes After Mayorkas, Slams Him For Border Crisis Ahead Of Impeachment Trial)

“We’ve set a very unfortunate precedent here,” Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said after the vote. “This means that the Senate can ignore, in effect, the House’s impeachment. It doesn’t make any difference whether our friends on the other side thought he should of be impeached or not, he was. And by doing what we just did, we have, in effect, ignored the directions of the House, which were to have a trial. No evidence, no procedure — this is a day that’s not a proud day in the history of the Senate.”

The first article of impeachment charged Mayorkas with “willful and systemic refusal to comply with the law,” while the second was titled “breach of public trust.”

Georgia Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Green first filed an impeachment resolution against Mayorkas on Nov. 9, which she re-upped weeks later.

Mayorkas’ impeachment failed by a two-vote margin on Feb. 6, with [RINO] Republican Reps. Tom McClintock of California, Ken Buck of Colorado, Mike Gallagher of Wisconsin and Blake Moore of Utah opposing the resolution. The resolution eventually passed with a 214-213 vote.

An estimated 9 to 10 million illegals (so far) flooding across our border and surrendering to Border Patrol.
And a further estimated 2 million "got-aways" estimated to have entered the U.S. completely undetected, here to do god knows what.
Islamic terrorists, drug cartel members, human traffickers, Chinese military, drug traffickers, murderers, rapists, mental patients, as nations worldwide empty their prisons into the U.S.

The amount of illegals entering this country since Biden took office now exceeds the total population of all but 7 of the 50 states.
The amount of illegals is overwhelming every major U.S. city nationwide, like New York City, Chicago, El Paso, Brownsville, and Los Angeles, who no longer have the public services to provide for more entering illegals.
Cities are closing public schools and veteran centers to house the unimaginably huge illegal mobs already here, and still more flooding in.
And thousands of U.S. citizens are unnecessarily robbed, murdered, raped, and otherwise assaulted or victimized by criminal illegals, people who shouldn't even be here. To say nothing of the over 100,000 American citizens annually now dying from the Fentanyl and other narcotics now being smuggled into the U.S. at record levels.
To say nothing of the thousands of grieving parents for Lakin Rileys senselessly killed nationwide. By criminals entering completely unvetted, who shouldn't even be here.

And yet...
Not one Democrat breaks ranks and votes to stop it, to even investigate DHS secretary Mayorkas who has orchestrated this massive crisis (at the Biden White House's command).
Not one Democrat legislator breaks ranks and makes the slightest move to protect the American people, to protect the sovereignty of the nation itself, from an invading army pouring across the border at a rate of about 10,000 a day, completely unvetted.
NOT. ONE. DEMOCRAT.

How much do they hate this country and its people, to do that?
37 2,157 Read More
Re: Trump Scared off Nancy. Wonder Boy 2024-04-18 1:30 PM

[Linked Image from meme-generator.com]

[Linked Image from reviewjournal.com]
40 980 Read More
Re: The Tennessee beer ban is on ice. Wonder Boy 2024-04-18 1:11 PM
How hard is it to get a ride home from a friend, or call an Uber or Lyft for a ride?

When I was 17, I left a party and as I put my key in the car door, I realized I was too intoxicated to safely drive, and with no one else left to ask for a ride, I walked home (I was about a mile from home). Even at age 17 I still had the good sense not to drive. What goes through their heads?

It sure wasn't the fault of the retailer who sold this guy the beer, or the company that botlted it.
1 44 Read More
Re: Biden's dog bites people! Wonder Boy 2024-04-18 1:03 PM

If only he were biting Biden !

"Yeah, yeah. That's a good boy..."
8 517 Read More
Re: Gretna Thunberg Arrested. Wonder Boy 2024-04-18 12:47 PM
lol

I guess that's the carpet-munching club.

I picure her scolding the cops while they arrest her : "How dare you..."
3 59 Read More
Re: Niki Haley's new job. Wonder Boy 2024-04-18 12:42 PM

With her RINO poliics, I would have expected her to end up a "consultant" on CNN or MSNBC, making a new career of attacking other Republicans.

It was satisfying a few weeks ago to see Ronna McDaniel take a job for MSNBC doing exactly that, and have the collective MSNBC anchors revolt agains her hiring, and attack her and burn that contract o the ground the very first day. Which was self-defeaating on the MSNBC anchors' part, because if they gave her just a few weeks on air, she would have lost whatever fading fumes of conservatism she had left, and eagerly whored herself for an MSNBC salary to go full-on woke attacking other Republicans, as have Joe Scarborough, Nicolle Wallace, Michael Steele, Steve Schmidt and the other RINO "Lincoln Project" fake Republicans. Yeah, these are the people who led the 2008 and 2012 Republicaan presidenial campaaigns,.
Gee, how could McCain and Romney possibly lose? rolleyes
Democrat agents, guarding the Republican hen-house.

I agree Nikki Haley is a good looking lady, but she is deeply annoying to listen to, speaking in a tedious musical tone, like a fourth grade teacher uses to talk to a class of nine year olds.
If she were pole dancing, at least I wouldn't have to listen to her.
2 160 Read More
Media Jump to new posts
Re: Now THIS is advertising... ! Wonder Boy 2024-04-17 10:51 AM

Anoher Dairy Queen commercial. Not from the same ad campaign, but also very funny.
A father-son scenario, with dad trying to incentivize his sports-challenged son to perform better, with a promised trip to Dairy Queen for a treat if he scores, that goes horribly wrong :

Dairy Queen commercial - Hoops
155 205,857 Read More
Stairwayy to Heaven to be dismantled. Lothar of The Hill People 2024-04-16 11:26 PM
0 15 Read More
Re: Oddest, goofiest and most interesting comic book ads Wonder Boy 2024-04-16 3:59 AM

[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]

An Arthur Adams house ad, for an X-MEN collected trade.
Not sure if this is the same material as the collection I own, but I'd guess it collects the X-MEN / ALPHA FLIGHT two-issue miniseries by Claremont and Paul Smith,
And the story from NEW MUTANTS SPECIAL 1, concluded in X-MEN ANNUAL 9, both by Claremont and Arthur Adams, with 2 or 3 subsequent X-MEN ANNUAL issues also by Claremont and Arthur Adams, I think 10 and 12. Material from 1985-1988 or so, in a collected 1988 edition.
I think I have a later edition than the one promoted, that includes more material. I

If it's the one I have, it has a white background on an Arthur Adams cover, and a weak binding that started falling apart the 2nd or 3rd time I read it.
For a long time in the 1980's and 1990's, that was a recurrent problem on a number of Marvel collected editions, but in the 2000's Marvel finally got it together with better bound collections, at least on the collected trades I've gotten since then.

EDIT :
I looked it up. The one advertised above is:

X-MEN : THE ASGARDIAN WARS (1988, 220 pages)
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=312791

I dug out the one I have, it's this one :

MARVEL LEGENDS: ARTHUR ADAMS, X-MEN (2003, 288 pages )
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=489181

Some of the same material, but as detailed in the 2 links, definitely not the same contents.
152 68,657 Read More
Re: Imploding MAGA World turns to Civil War Fantasies Matter-eater Man 2024-04-15 2:13 AM
Hi SOM
I fell in love got married but lost them to cancer. So I grieved and starting to rebuild a new life again. Heave stuff but I’m doing fine. This was my second time around losing someone from cancer and got every bit of support I could this time. Some really amazing and good people out there! How about yourself?
483 39,744 Read More
Women Jump to new posts
Re: Real or AI? Son of Mxy 2024-04-14 2:03 PM
The trick is test if she recognizes pictures of a traffic light. If she gets it wrong, she's an AI. Or blonde. It's one or the other.
7 369 Read More
Media Jump to new posts
Re: G.I. Joe Rollout! Son of Mxy 2024-04-14 1:47 PM
10 year old me would have gotten an erection instantly at that news. But current me can't imagine how they can pull it off without coming off as silly.

Now, if they bring back Inhumanoids or Visionaries, then we're talking.
1 36 Read More
Sports and Wrestling Jump to new posts
Re: WWE WrestleMania 40 PLE Results: 4-6-24 and 4-7-24 Rob 2024-04-14 12:09 AM
I was first
15 216 Read More
Re: Comics artist Frank Thorne, dead at 90 Wonder Boy 2024-04-11 8:26 PM

And here's the GHITA OF ALIZAR series in collected form (with color added) of the Frank Thorne stories, previously serialized in Warren's !984 anthology magazine (1984 in 1-10, re-titled 1994 in issues 11-29. Thorne's "Ghita" serialized in 7-8, 10-14, and 17-21 )
https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Ghita-of-Alizarr/Issue-1?id=140621

Only two issues of 1984 magazine can be read online at this point, hopefully the Thorne issues will be added on later :
1984/1994 magazine issues 1-29
https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/1984/Issue-1?id=222276
9 940 Read More
Re: I Shall Destroy All The Civilized Planets! Wonder Boy 2024-04-11 11:55 AM
29 1,915 Read More
Fortress of Awesome Chat Jump to new posts
Re: Peter J Pappas? Lothar of The Hill People 2024-04-08 9:57 PM
Rob has similar morals.
7 196 Read More
Fortress of Awesome Chat Jump to new posts
Re: Nowhereman? Rob 2024-04-08 3:22 AM