Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 69 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 68 69
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
Nicholson's Joker was over rated. Nicholson was basically playing an amped up homicidal version of himself, not the Joker.

Which was why he was perfect for the role.
He fit the 89 film just as well as Caesar fit the 66 version.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
Yes, there's that as well. The having him stand in the middle of the street with a low-brow and glower was obviously meant to give the trailer an epic feel.

My main problem is how it's obviously gonna be another big morality/philosophy jig. In the original one, they're going on and on about symbols and identity and principles of action--And then fucking up their own moral standards with the ending. Now we hear Alfred giving lectures on basically the same kind of topics and how he's saying Bruce Wayne is obligated to protect Gotham after its apparently developed a dependence on him (utter bullshit).

The only thing I can give credit to Nolan for is his consistency. He knew from the very beginning that these storylines would never fly with the original Batman character since he had a dual identity. Now, with his strictly Bruce Wayne in a Batsuit persona, this little breakdown he's going to have fits Wayne's MO perfectly since the real Batman would be too driven to suffer such a handicap.

To top it off, the Joker isn't choosing to smile and laugh like his definitive character does. His face just got fucked up that way and so he runs along with it; he's not really insane...That is to say, he's not really super-sane. At least Burton had Nicholson lose it after developing his skin-condition.

Pariah its a movie interpretation of a comic book, which means it does not have to fit 100% into any comic book criteria.
Hell, there have been so many different interpretations of Batman and the bat villains etc in the comic books themselves, so why should the movies be any different?

Simple fact is, unlike many super hero movies, Begins actually managed to appeal to both comic nerds and non-comic reading movie goers.

Also, as PJP said, this is an early version of Batman, long before he himself becomes so ingrained in the Batman persona that Bruce then becomes the mask rather than the Bat.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Yes, there's that as well. The having him stand in the middle of the street with a low-brow and glower was obviously meant to give the trailer an epic feel.

90 second teaser trailers are rarely known for their depth and/or thought provocation. it is, by nature, a teaser of the movie's explosive elements; an attempt at generating hype some one-hundred and eighty days before the movie is even available to the public.

My main problem is how it's obviously gonna be another big morality/philosophy jig. In the original one, they're going on and on about symbols and identity and principles of action--And then fucking up their own moral standards with the ending. Now we hear Alfred giving lectures on basically the same kind of topics and how he's saying Bruce Wayne is obligated to protect Gotham after its apparently developed a dependence on him (utter bullshit).

how is that wrong, though? its similar to the comics, its an interesting spin on the mythos... whats bad with this?

And then fucking up their own moral standards with the ending.

the "imma let you die in the train" part?

that, i didn't really like. could absolutely live with in a mostly perfect movie representation of batman, but i didn't like it so much.

The only thing I can give credit to Nolan for is his consistency. He knew from the very beginning that these storylines would never fly with the original Batman character since he had a dual identity. Now, with his strictly Bruce Wayne in a Batsuit persona, this little breakdown he's going to have fits Wayne's MO perfectly since the real Batman would be too driven to suffer such a handicap.

as others have said, there really is no "real batman" yet. at least that is how i interpret this series thus far. its a miller year one, not a miller dark knight.

To top it off, the Joker isn't choosing to smile and laugh like his definitive character does. His face just got fucked up that way and so he runs along with it; he's not really insane...That is to say, he's not really super-sane. At least Burton had Nicholson lose it after developing his skin-condition.

the joker's "definitive" origin in comicdom, "the killing joke", saw him as a regular guy until falling into acid, and thus he "ran along with it." i think thats a crap definitive origin, but whatever -- at the very worst, its the movie taking from the source material.

whats more, i dont think we really know what the persona of the joker is pre-scarring. or even how he got the scar. maybe he did it himself? maybe he was just a fucked up guy in his early life? maybe he microwaved cats? maybe, like two-face, and/or theoretically like the "TKJ" joker, he was crazy all along but hid it, until his outter shell matched his insides, and his craziness spilled to the forefront.

giant picture
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Nowhereman
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
Nicholson's Joker was over rated. Nicholson was basically playing an amped up homicidal version of himself, not the Joker.

Which was why he was perfect for the role.
He fit the 89 film just as well as Caesar fit the 66 version.

nicholson's joker was great. perfect fit for the burton movie, where everything was sorta over the top, and honestly just amazing casting on its own. whether on-screen jack is the same as off is another question, but he's clearly nailed that particular role, and played that out in the 89 film.

giant picture
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
since the real Batman would be too driven to suffer such a handicap.

To top it off, the Joker isn't choosing to smile and laugh like his definitive character does.

....who's the "real" Batman? What is the "definitive" Joker?

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Bend over and I'll show you.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen

whats more, i dont think we really know what the persona of the joker is pre-scarring. or even how he got the scar. maybe he did it himself? maybe he was just a fucked up guy in his early life? maybe he microwaved cats? maybe, like two-face, and/or theoretically like the "TKJ" joker, he was crazy all along but hid it, until his outter shell matched his insides, and his craziness spilled to the forefront.

They may not give us an official origin for the Joker, but in other variations (Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Burton's Batman) they've shown him to be a mobster before his transformation. I wouldn't be surprised to see that hinted at, as they have the Joker robbing mob run banks at the beginning of Dark Knight...

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Last months's Wizard gave some reasons for the scarring......he was sliced up during a knife fight as a troubled youth. I can't remember if they said they would do any backstory in the movie....they should put it in as a DVD extra. I'll read the article again and let you guys know.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Huh. I was thinking that maybe a mobster did it to him - I'm stuck on the mobster angle.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I think they are going to leave it open to interpretation as to the who and why. I'll let you know. I can't remember now.....it's been 2 weeks since I read it and about an eternity's events have happened to me since.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
An eternity? See, that's what happens when you are a god amongst insects.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I'm an insect amongst gods. My time flies...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: The New Adventures of Old PJP
Bend over and I'll show you.

Truly real and definitive, I'm sure...

nOt az gAY az aM rOB
25+ posts
nOt az gAY az aM rOB
25+ posts
hiM prOOmefeos dOeS waNT buMM sEX WIth aM PeTErJp

ooh me ass am sore
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Like anyone doesn't!

nOt az gAY az aM rOB
25+ posts
nOt az gAY az aM rOB
25+ posts
stOp aM SeXSing Up rEX tO aM MaKE PEEterJP JeLLous

ooh me ass am sore
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
Epic Take!

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Yeah?

Uschi Offline OP
faggot
15000+ posts
OP Offline
faggot
15000+ posts
Owner of a lonely arsehole.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Points...

Uschi Offline OP
faggot
15000+ posts
OP Offline
faggot
15000+ posts
FIVE!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
THOUSAND!

Retconner
100+ posts
Retconner
100+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
I want to live with King Snarf.

What do you mean "Their origin was fine as it was"?
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Hmmm...the virgin-ness might rub off on me...

Retconner
100+ posts
Retconner
100+ posts
I bet you would like that.
Snarf rubbing off on you.

What do you mean "Their origin was fine as it was"?
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus

....who's the "real" Batman? What is the "definitive" Joker?

The real Batman is a guy who fights a retarded battle against an enemy that never dies. He knows this battle is retarded but he refuses to stop fighting it because he's compelled to.

The definitive Joker is a guy who's not Scarface.

I'm not saying what they are. I'm simply saying what they're not.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Pariah.
I hate to break it to ya, but Batman, he aint real buddy.

I hope the therapy helps you over this lil man!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Pariah its a movie interpretation of a comic book, which means it does not have to fit 100% into any comic book criteria.

Fine. But what I'm trying to say is that, even with all the change people apply to their individual takes on Batman, there's still consistency that I would personally like to see and that I feel would add to the overall value of the characters.

For example: Of all the writers of Batman and all their different styles, I don't think anyone was willing to touch his origin like Nolan did. Mike Barr's Joe Chill story was at least set years after the incident.

how is that wrong, though? its similar to the comics, its an interesting spin on the mythos... whats bad with this?

Uuuhh.....It sucked.

Philosophy and Morality itself isn't a bad thing of course, but people don't go see Batman movie's for metaphysical nuance. The whole absorption of philosophy through extraneous elements thing was the worst part about the original movie and made it way too abstract. Subtle development of his own persona through his own observations would have been preferable to everyone else sticking their oar into Bruce Wayne's character (see also: Falcone, Racheal, Ra's, and Alfred giving lectures). In the origin story, defining himself is what Batman did without so many foreign opinions; it just would have fit better.

Although, like I said, I acknowledge that Nolan rearranged the origin so there'd just be Bruce Wayne with a suit, so it wouldn't work the same way it did with Batman. But at the same time, that doesn't make it a very involving or gripping story to me.

Quote:
as others have said, there really is no "real batman" yet. at least that is how i interpret this series thus far. its a miller year one, not a miller dark knight.

That was my point: Nolan hasn't made a real Batman. However you choose to interpret Batman's MO, it's not the same as recognizing whether or not he exists as a persona.

This isn't me being facetious or petty, Nolan really did make a point of selling this movie based on Batman being a "person." i.e. He wanted to write about a Bruce Wayne and not a Batman. This isn't just Year One; it's Year One with a Bruce Wayne who knows Joe Chill was the killer. That just morphs everything.

Quote:
the joker's "definitive" origin in comicdom, "the killing joke", saw him as a regular guy until falling into acid, and thus he "ran along with it." i think thats a crap definitive origin, but whatever -- at the very worst, its the movie taking from the source material.

Actually, the entire point of the book was to say that's what could have happened since its fit Joker's caveat of a "bad day" scenario.

But in any event: Whether or not any of us think he went crazy post- or pre-dip, the point is that he was never defined as a dude who smiled because his mouth was screwed up that way. His personality has always been about the dude who was smiling 'cuz he wanted to.

Ledger's Joker, on the other hand, is rather superficial. All attitude, very little apparent substance.

Quote:

To point: Nolan's crafting Joker's image based on the wound. If they hadn't thought of the sliced up face idea, they probably wouldn't have bothered even if the character they were thinking of was crazy.

It just seems to me that they're making extreme efforts to break away from the psychological and emphasize shock tactics more than anything else. And that confuses me; what's wrong with having basically normal looking people who are crazy as opposed to visually disgusting and scary figures? It makes me feel like I'm watching "The Batman" series where all of the enemies are made as monstrous and physically abnormal as possible for the sake of contextualizing the archetypes for the kiddies who watch the show.

Last edited by Pariah; 2008-01-05 5:15 AM.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Pariah.
I hate to break it to ya, but Batman, he aint real buddy.

I hope the therapy helps you over this lil man!

....Don't be a cunt Nowhereman!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Fuck off!

Uschi Offline OP
faggot
15000+ posts
OP Offline
faggot
15000+ posts

Fine. But what I'm trying to say is that, even with all the change people apply to their individual takes on Batman, there's still consistency that I would personally like to see and that I feel would add to the overall value of the characters.

For example: Of all the writers of Batman and all their different styles, I don't think anyone was willing to touch his origin like Nolan did. Mike Barr's Joe Chill story was at least set years after the incident.

Uuuhh.....It sucked.

Philosophy and Morality itself isn't a bad thing of course, but people don't go see Batman movie's for metaphysical nuance. The whole absorption of philosophy through extraneous elements thing was the worst part about the original movie and made it way too abstract. Subtle development of his own personality through his own observations would have been preferable to everyone else sticking their oar into Bruce Wayne's personality (see also: Falcone, Racheal, Ra's, Alfred). In the origin story, that's exactly what Batman did in the first place, so it would have fit better. Although, like I said, I acknowledge that Nolan rearranged the origin so there'd just be Bruce Wayne with a suit, so it wouldn't work the same way it did with Batman. But at the same time, that doesn't make it an involving or gripping story.

Quote:

That was my point: Nolan hasn't made a real Batman. However you choose to interpret Batman's MO, it's not the same as recognizing whether or not he exists as a persona.

This isn't me being facetious or petty, Nolan really did make a point of selling this movie based on Batman being a "person." i.e. He wanted to write about a Bruce Wayne and not a Batman. This isn't just Year One; it's Year One with a Bruce Wayne who knows Joe Chill was the killer. That just morphs everything.

Quote:

Actually, the entire point of the book was to say that's what could have happened since its fit Joker's caveat of a "bad day" scenario.

But in any event: Whether or not any of us think he went crazy post- or pre-dip, the point is that he was never defined as a dude who smiled because his mouth was screwed up that way. His personality has always been about the dude who was smiling 'cuz he wanted to.

Ledger's Joker, on the other hand, is rather superficial. All attitude, very little apparent substance.

Quote:

To point: Nolan's crafting Joker's image based on the wound. If they hadn't thought of the sliced up face idea, they probably wouldn't have bothered even if the character they were thinking of was crazy.

It just seems to me that they're making extreme efforts to break away from the psychological and emphasize shock tactics more than anything else. And that confuses me; what's wrong with having basically normal looking people who are crazy as opposed to visually disgusting and scary figures? It makes me feel like I'm watching "The Batman" series where all of the enemies are made as monstrous and physically abnormal as possible for the sake of contextualizing the archetypes for the kiddies who watch the show.

TL;DR

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Uschi
TL;DR

That was uncalled for.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
No it wasnt!

Feared by the RKMB morons
3000+ posts
3000+ posts

Uuuhh.....It sucked.

Philosophy and Morality itself isn't a bad thing of course, but people don't go see Batman movie's for metaphysical nuance. The whole absorption of philosophy through extraneous elements thing was the worst part about the original movie and made it way too abstract. Subtle development of his own personality through his own observations would have been preferable to everyone else sticking their oar into Bruce Wayne's personality (see also: Falcone, Racheal, Ra's, Alfred). In the origin story, that's exactly what Batman did in the first place, so it would have fit better. Although, like I said, I acknowledge that Nolan rearranged the origin so there'd just be Bruce Wayne with a suit, so it wouldn't work the same way it did with Batman. But at the same time, that doesn't make it an involving or gripping story.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've never been so certain of a movies awesomeness as I am right now.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
You said that about Gigli.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
You said that about Ghost Rider...

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Hold on now, Ghost Rider was a hell of alot better then Gigli!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
The pubic hair that collects in the shower drain is a hell of alot better than Gigli! What's your point? Ghost Rider was a nauseating abomination of a movie. It ranks up there with Elektra, Batman&Robin, Superman IV, and Catwoman...

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Err no, Ghost Rider was a fun, if dumb movie!
It certainly was not in the company of those other shit pile super hero movies!

Page 29 of 69 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 68 69

Link Copied to Clipboard