#573476 2005-09-21 10:17 PM
Schlub
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Schlub
15000+ posts
Miss Thailand didn't expect to have to live there
Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:48 AM ET162

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Australian beauty Angela MacKay has handed back her Miss Thailand crown just 10 days after winning it, saying her entirely unexpected triumph interfered with her modeling career.

"I really went into the competition because I just wanted to learn how to speak Thai and I wanted to have a Thai experience," said the 21-year-old from Perth with an Australian father and a Thai mother.

"I wanted to just learn about Thai culture. I honestly didn't expect to win at all. It was a very, very big surprise to me," she said before heading back to New York late on Tuesday to go back to modeling.

MacKay said she had been persuaded to enter by relatives in Thailand when she came for a visit and hadn't realized that the title required her to stay in the country for the coming year.

She returned the prize money of 1 million baht, a diamond crown worth 800,000 baht and a car.

Thailand will send second placed Sirinda Jensen to the Miss World contest in China in December. Jensen is half Thai and half Dutch.

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
peter sellers.

Professionally Good Looking
25+ posts
Professionally Good Looking
25+ posts
What kind of a world has a country where one must wear ties all the time? Ties are not even fashionable this season! I would rather live on the planet average looking than on a planet where you had to wear ties out of season! Unless it was this planet, then I would just say, "Hey I don't want to live in your little tie-land!", or something.

Link Copied to Clipboard