Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
http://blogs.ktla.com/news_custom_eric/2...bama-rally.html

Quote:
Don't try wearing a Bush hat or sweatshirt at an Obama rally.

Duane Hammond says it's what got him fired. Hammond is a union stagehand who was part of the crew that built the platform for the Obama event on campus.

He came to work early this morning wearing clothing that says "George H. W. Bush". Hammond's son is in the Navy, currently serving on the aircraft carrier U.S.S. George H. W. Bush.

Hammond says he was not trying to make a political statement. He says he got the sweatshirt and hat during a visit to the aircraft carrier on Family Day. The back of his sweatshirt has a large drawing of the ship.

He says he wore it to show how proud he is of his son.

That didn't go over well with his union supervisor. Hammond says he was told to take off the sweatshirt, or he would have to go home.

He refused. They told him he was fired from the job.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
has there ever been a time in recent history where freedom of speech in america has been under such attack as lately?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
You never had the right to be an ass at the workplace. It's only a question if the boss/owner tolerates it. I had some coworkers that were celebrating Obama's win in the last election. One even put up a poster. I warned the guy who put up the poster that he might want to rethink that. The owner is a good guy but he's GOP all the way. Guess who got laid off and who didn't.

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
But this guy wasn't being an ass. He was wearing a shirt of the ship his son was serving on that happened to have the name of an ex-president. He didn't put up posters on his boss's walls. I doubt there was much of a dress code for a construction crew. The only ass in that story was the boss who fired him.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Another example of obama hating the family of people serving in the military.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Also MEM is wrong (as usual). If a workplace allows printed t-shirts it has to allow all printed t-shirts unless it restricts a specific class ie beer shirts, profanity, ect. Unless this business specifically does not allow military shirts this is a case of discrimination. Also it should be noted the union supervisor dismissed him. Aren't unions supposed to be protecting the employee or has that charade officially ceased?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
But this guy wasn't being an ass. He was wearing a shirt of the ship his son was serving on that happened to have the name of an ex-president. He didn't put up posters on his boss's walls. I doubt there was much of a dress code for a construction crew. The only ass in that story was the boss who fired him.

Any way you feel about it, there was never a right to dress as you please where you work (unless you're the owner). Pretending that there used to be a right is kind of silly right?

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Irwin Schwab
Also MEM is wrong (as usual). If a workplace allows printed t-shirts it has to allow all printed t-shirts unless it restricts a specific class ie beer shirts, profanity, ect. Unless this business specifically does not allow military shirts this is a case of discrimination. Also it should be noted the union supervisor dismissed him. Aren't unions supposed to be protecting the employee or has that charade officially ceased?

Read up on the whole "work at will" thing. An employer can fire you for pretty much any reason outside of a couple of things like race.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Again you don't know what you are talking about. You cannot tell an employee they will be fired for an action that other employees are allowed to do and then fire that employee. Do you read up on anything or just spout whatever comes to mind?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
\:lol\:
Obviously it can happen.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Are you really that stupid?

Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
An employer can fire you for pretty much any reason outside of a couple of things like race.

So you saying no one is ever fired for race?

what a maroon.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
\:lol\: This is great. MEM is defending a union's right to fire people for any reason what-so-ever after spouting off how businesses are beholden to employees. Anything to toe that party line, eh, MEM? \:lol\:

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
They can't fire somebody because of race legally. Does it happen, sure but it's still illegal.

Anyhoo, refusing to change a shirt falls into the work at will thing. Race doesn't.

Fair play!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Hammond says he was not trying to make a political statement.

...which makes sense, especially given that the carrier is named after a man who hasn't been president for approximately eighteen years.

Good thing he wasn't wearing a shirt from, I dunno, the USS Jefferson. They would have thought the poor SOB was advocating for slave ownership or something.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
\:lol\: This is great. MEM is defending a union's right to fire people for any reason what-so-ever after spouting off how businesses are beholden to employees. Anything to toe that party line, eh, MEM? \:lol\:

The law is the law. Pretending something isn't legal because of how you feel doesn't change the legality. You and bsams can bitch but "work at will" has been around for a while. Why pretend it just sprang into existence because Obama is president?

Fair play!
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
such a dumass!

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
you can tell MEM is a liberal because he has absolutely no business sense. the court records are littered with judgments for non uniform enforcement of employee handbooks at at will work places. my guess if MEM opened a business it would be underwater in less than 30 days.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
my guess if MEM opened a business it would be underwater in less than 30 days.

Technically, his bathhouse already is.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Doesn't seem as though the union is holding on to MEM's viewpoint anymore either:

Quote:
***UPDATE: Duane Hammond says union officials called him this afternoon to apologize for the incident. He say they are "bending over backwards" to make it up to him.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
In any event...

I think the real lesson of this incident (besides the oft-taught one about censorship under Obama) is how it gives lie to the idea that unions are still about protecting the rights of the rank and file worker.

This is just one more example of how they are really just another form of special interest/big business, more interested in lining the pockets of the leadership and putting down anyone who deviates from the official group position.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Exactly. As bsams pointed out, unions are supposed to keep workers from being fired over stupid shit like this; yet the union is the one that kicked him out on his ass. Work at will seems to only matter to MEM when the unions can use it to kick out any dissent against his almighty Obama.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Doesn't seem as though the union is holding on to MEM's viewpoint anymore either:

Quote:
***UPDATE: Duane Hammond says union officials called him this afternoon to apologize for the incident. He say they are "bending over backwards" to make it up to him.

Guess G-man was to quick with the union bashing.

Perhaps there was something in the union contract concerning the dress code or because of the military connection they made an exception.

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Or, perhaps, the union supervisor was a dick; and the union bosses had to come up with a quick fix to counteract the bad publicity and possible lawsuit.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
So this new found protectiveness for the guy in the union, does it extend beyond somebody wearing a shirt with Bush on it or does he revert back to being a thug for wanting things like decent pay?

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I've never been anti-union. I've been against unions that stopped being in the best interest of the workers and more about gaining power for themselves.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I think you could find that problem with any organization though. Either way the union workers tend to have it better because they're in a union.

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Unless they wear a sweatshirt with the name 'Bush' on it.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
The guy got paid for the day and he didn't lose his job.

Fair play!
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
There's so much backpedaling in this thread it's like watching the National Cycling Championships in reverse.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I'm just surprised that BigGovernment.com has a story that is defending a union worker. He had to be wearing a Bush shirt for it to happen but still...

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Do you need a shovel or do you have your own?

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I'm waiting for Obama to say that the union obviously acted stupidly.

paper or plastic sir?
few posts
paper or plastic sir?
few posts
You're kidding.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
There's so much backpedaling in this thread it's like watching the National Cycling Championships in reverse.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
An employer can fire you for pretty much any reason outside of a couple of things like race.

Are you really that stupid?

Facebook Firing Case Is Settled: A company that fired a worker after she posted negative remarks about her boss on Facebook has settled a complaint brought by the National Labor Relations Board by agreeing to revamp its rules to ensure they don't restrict workers' rights, the NLRB said.

So...a company can't violate its' employees right to free speech?
But a union can allow you to be fired for any reason?
Is that the official DNC line now?

Link Copied to Clipboard