Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090118/ap_e...xm3EuEeZypxFb8C

Quote:
LOS ANGELES – The superhero film "Watchmen" will be watched by audiences after all — and on time.

Warner Bros. and 20th Century Fox settled their nearly yearlong dispute over the movie on Thursday, the studios announced in a joint statement.

The movie will open in theaters as planned on March 6, the statement said. The exact terms of the agreement were not disclosed and will remain confidential.

The release date had been in doubt for months as each studio's attorneys grappled for an upper hand. Fox contended that Warner Bros. shot the film knowing that it didn't have all the adequate rights; Warner Bros. countered that Fox had lost its rights in the graphic novel and was owed nothing more than a right of first refusal.

At stake was a movie that has stoked the excitement of "Watchmen" fans and that Warner Bros. claims cost it $150 million to film and market.

Until recently, the studios appeared to be in a stalemate as protracted as the Cold War backdrop of the film's source material. But a Christmas Eve ruling by U.S. District Judge Gary Allen Feess found that Fox did have at least a distribution stake in the film.

Within days of that ruling, Warner Bros. and Fox were in serious settlement negotiations.

Attorneys were scheduled to update Feess on the settlement Friday morning.

While the studios agreed on little throughout the case, the statement released Thursday sought to end months of acrimony.

"Warner Bros. and Fox, like all 'Watchmen' fans, look forward with great anticipation to this film's March 6 release in theaters," the statement said.

Fox is owned by News Corp.; Warner Bros. is a unit of Time Warner Inc.

As part of the agreement, both sides acknowledged the others were acting in "good faith," although Warner Bros. conceded Fox notified it of its rights before filming began.

Fox acquired movie rights to "Watchmen," a graphic novel by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, in the 1980s.

The project has had a tortured course to the big screen, with Warner Bros. having to resolve issues with other studios that had considered making the film.

The various agreements led Feess to declare during one hearing that the case was "very complex, convoluted."

The same could be said for "Watchmen," which features a complex story line set in an alternate-history United States and characters with names such as Rorschach and Ozymandias.

"Watchmen" has generated considerable buzz, in part because of the threat that the film's release would be delayed or blocked. But the attention is also because its director, Zack Snyder, helped turn another graphic novel, "300," into a blockbuster.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Now this is cool:

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
'Better blue than red.'

\:lol\:

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Nice, the more I see the more I like.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
My skepticism is dissolving.

Some of the other Youtube clips look damned good. That Rorschach monologue sounds excellent when spoken out-loud. Looks like the alien has been replaced though.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
'Better blue than red.'

\:lol\:

Yeah, that's new, and a nice touch.

The cartoon version of Manhattan was obviously new too.

Pimping my site, again.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
This is coming out here a day before the US. Wee.

Those retro Youtube clips are damn good... I just hope they don't turn out to be better than the actual movie.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk

Those retro Youtube clips are damn good... I just hope they don't turn out to be better than the actual movie.

yeah, im still not all that excited for the film, but that youtube clip was aweshome.

giant picture
50000+ posts
50000+ posts

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Bound to be collected in the DVD release.

I wonder how this is going to go? Its not exactly a mainstream concept,despite the critical acclaim for the comic.

Funny that Dave Gibbons is on board helping promote it but Moore isn't. He's sends back royalty cheques he gets for film adaptions of his other works, because he says the adaptions aren't his and he had to go through a deposition in litigation over the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie which he says was akin to an anal examination. But the adaptions to date have been lacklustre, with such meagre cash involved he couldafford to stand on his principles and send the money back. If this movie is a hit I wonder if he'll send back a monster pile of cash?

Pimping my site, again.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Minutemen Arcade

Even if the movie sucks, it'll be worth it thanks to all this.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The music is fucking tits!

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Music in the whole "walking down the street punching people and destroying public property" tended to be pretty fucking tits.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
the US version is double D tits:

http://www.minutemenarcade.com/usa/

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
That's not cool, man.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
There's a press blackout on reviews until after the day it comes out. That is never a good sign.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts

giant picture
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
So its a kind of animated Iwo Jima thing...?

Pimping my site, again.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That was lame but the Boing Boing interview was good.

Pimping my site, again.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://www.bizanner.com/?p=142

Quote:
I would give a hundred buck to see a picture of Alan Moore's face when he sees this. OrganicCoffee.com has Nite Owl coffee for sale on their web site. The coffee retails for $19.85 plus S&H, and is limited to 10,000 cans. Click here to order the Nite Owl Coffee @ Amazon.com.

Can't get enough Watchmen? Director Zack Snyder tells MTV that a Directors Cut will be released to theaters in July with a length of 3 hrs. and 10 min. That will be followed by the "Crazy Ultimate Freaky Edition" DVD in the fall. Check out the link for all the details.

Geeks of Doom does a nice piece on the EW Guide To Watchmen special edition coming out Feb. 23. They have some quotes and pictures of the six different covers of the issue. Definitely worth checking out.

Wil Wheaton gives a little SPOILER free review of the Watchmen movie over at ComicBookMovie.com. He talks about the fan's worries that this film could stink it up like Ang Lee's Hulk and some other bombs, but he gives the film good marks summing it up with,"I can't think of a better, more faithful, graphic novel adaptation, ever. Nothing else even comes close".

The Dork Report offers "10 Reasons The Watchmen Movie Will Suck". Amongst the reasons, miscasting, lack of Moore's blessing and changes from the source material. The author summarizes his feelings with, "So why am I so apprehensive about Watchmen in particular? Because it has been historically misunderstood and misinterpreted for 20 years and I see no sign that Snyder is seeing any deeper than its surface." The article does list some valid concerns but ultimately I think a comic book picture should be judged on it's own as a separate entity from the original medium. Check this article out, you'll be glad you did.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
The Dork Report offers "10 Reasons The Watchmen Movie Will Suck". Amongst the reasons, miscasting, lack of Moore's blessing and changes from the source material. The author summarizes his feelings with, "So why am I so apprehensive about Watchmen in particular? Because it has been historically misunderstood and misinterpreted for 20 years and I see no sign that Snyder is seeing any deeper than its surface." The article does list some valid concerns but ultimately I think a comic book picture should be judged on it's own as a separate entity from the original medium. Check this article out, you'll be glad you did.

That dude has totally set up shop in Alan Moore's ass.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
yeah the gist of his complaints is this guy tries to recreate Moore's work, then complains that the guy isn't being faithful to the work. it's a fucking adaptation not a Xerox.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
yeah the gist of his complaints is this guy tries to recreate Moore's work, then complains that the guy isn't being faithful to the work.

That's what stood out the most to me, too. He started out by saying that movies are different from comic books and just copying it frame for frame wouldn't work. Then he bitches that Snyder changed things. My favorite bit, though, was his bitching about Nite Owl and Silk Specter looking like they weren't experienced heroes because of the slow motion running from a fireball moment Snyder added. How the hell does them avoiding danger successfully show them as not being experienced? This dude must have hated the fuck out of 'Backdraft'.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Its a gag. It has the date of the movie release and Amazon has a link to "check out other items by Veidt Enterprises."

Pimping my site, again.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
they are actually selling them from what i've read.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Quote:
It's a small moment in the film WATCHMEN - Dan and Laurie save a group from a tenament fire. Once inside the Owl Ship, the survivors are offered what else? Coffee. Among all that hardware, there's an airplane-style coffee maker. And Veidt Enterprise's Nite Owl Dark Roast is the imaginary brand of coffee they brew. What better name for the quinessential caffinated beverage when served in the context of nocturnal crime-fighting? In truth, this is 100% organic specialty coffee from WATCHMEN unit photographer Clay Enos and his Organic Coffee Cartel.

Designed on one side to resemble something straight out of the WATCHMEN universe, the other side features a striking black & white portrait of Nite Owl as captured by Enos. With just one run of 10,000 cans produced, this is sure to be a distinctive and unusal collectible.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Well, fuck me.

Pimping my site, again.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Dave, you forgot to hit the PM button.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts

note the photograph of Laurie (Silk Spectre 2) in the Comedian's room. nice touch.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
A Big Box Office Could Prove Expensive for Producer Larry Gordon
 Quote:
Of all the people watching how "Watchmen" does at the boxoffice, Larry Gordon might have the most complicated feelings.

The veteran producer has an A-list backend deal on Warner Bros.' R-rated graphic novel adaptation and stands to gain financially if it becomes a hit. But if Warners has its way, Gordon also could be on the hook to Warners for a hefty percentage of the film's grosses based on his role in the legal debacle that ended with Fox owning a piece of the "Watchmen" property.

For this reason, Gordon and Warners have put off until after the $130 million Zack Snyder epic opens next Friday to resolve their standoff over what amount -- if anything -- Gordon should reimburse the studio for the cost of settling the litigation.

A clear idea of what Gordon might be liable for won't emerge until the film has largely played out, which could be a month or two, but if the pic is a mega-grosser, it could be tens of millions.

Fox sued Warners last February, claiming copyright infringement based on agreements the studio had with Gordon in the early 1990s.

The case was a rare public showdown between studios over a potential blockbuster and highlighted the challenge of maintaining a clear chain of title on projects that bounce around in development over many years.

When Judge Gary Feess ruled Dec. 24 that Gordon did not secure proper rights to "Watchmen" from Fox, Warners settled the case rather than face a possible injunction against the film's release.

The Warners settlement gave Fox a $1.5 million reimbursement for development costs as well as up to 8.5% of the film's worldwide grosses, although the percentage is lower until the film breaks even.

That could put Gordon in a strange position: The better the film does, the more he could pocket as a profit participant but the more he might have to fork over to make Warners whole. That's because Warners claims its agreements with Gordon contain an indemnity clause requiring the producer to reimburse it for any unforeseen problems with the pic.

Neither Gordon nor his litigation lawyer Dale Kinsella would comment, but they have maintained in court filings that Gordon is not responsible for the litigation and owes Warners nothing. Reps for Warners also declined to comment, but several sources said the studio plans to aggressively pursue Gordon for the settlement costs. In court papers Warners said Gordon should be liable "for all damages Warner Bros. suffers as a result of Fox's claims."

Complicating matters further is Gordon's position in the litigation that his own transactional attorneys who negotiated the deals are in part to blame for the mess. Gordon's litigation lawyers, who are not in the same firm as the transactional attorneys, wrote to Judge Feess that Fox's lawsuit might be traced to errors in the negotiation process by Fox as well as by Gordon's own counsel at the Jake Bloom law firm.

Gordon, who is still repped by the Bloom firm, is now said to be pushing for that firm's malpractice insurance carrier to make a contribution to any financial settlement. The Bloom firm declined to comment.

But the amount of any settlement will depend on how well the film does.

"Watchmen" premiered Monday night in London to mixed reviews, with the critic from tabloid News of the World (which is owned by Fox topper Rupert Murdoch) calling the 2-1/2 hour epic "spirit-crushingly disappointing" but several others predicting approval from fans of the Alan Moore-Dave Gibbons graphic novel.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That's hilarious. It reminds me of when Fatboy Slim (under his old name Beats International) in the late 80s had to pay more than 100% of profits on his song "Dub be Good to Me" when he got sued repeatedly for copyright infringement. The more successful it was, the more he had to pay.

On YouTube there is a combined clip of all of the pre-released footage. What is amazing me is how accurate it is compared to the original material. Seems producers have learned a lot about source material accuracy correlating to the success of movies.

Pimping my site, again.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
http://www.watchmenmotioncomic.com/

still not too hyped up for the movie, but i think the animated comic looks aweshome

giant picture
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Argh, I hate that half-bred atrocity.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
look none of us like rob, but you could at least check out the link.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
its your words that hurt the most

giant picture
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard