Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I no longer have any doubts. This movie is going to kick-ass...

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
No really, it looks awesome...

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The CW-aged cast isn't working for me at all. Spock was orginally first officer under Pike and Kirk was supposed to be in his thirties when he commanded the Enterprise. McCoy was older than both and didn't get assigned to the ship until part way through the five year mission. And Chekov was the guy who was supposed to be the newbie out of the academy, not half the crew.

But 1960s-Trek is almost as iconic as Batman to me so I'm admittedly fanboyish and anal retentive about it. I'll reserve judgment until the reviews start coming in.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh
The CW-aged cast isn't working for me at all. Spock was orginally first officer under Pike and Kirk was supposed to be in his thirties when he commanded the Enterprise. McCoy was older than both and didn't get assigned to the ship until part way through the five year mission. And Chekov was the guy who was supposed to be the newbie out of the academy, not half the crew.

Spock is First Officer under Pike in this movie. Don't know about Bones, but I do know he's assigned 1701 before Kirk in this one, because he's the reason Kirk gets to go on board without being assigned to the ship. And from what I understand, Kirk isn't assigned the Enterprise yet (which is why he's wearing the neutral black outfit). It has to do with him cheating on the Kobyashi Maru test, and causing mayhem as a cadet. He's passed up for assignment when he graduates because he's seen as a troublemaker and loose cannon.

Quote:
But 1960s-Trek is almost as iconic as Batman to me so I'm admittedly fanboyish and anal retentive about it. I'll reserve judgment until the reviews start coming in.

You might as well get ready to accept that Abram & Co. are re-writing certain aspects of the timeline for Trek continuity. Judging from the previews, it's exactly what Trek needed, as far as a shot in the arm. Sure, they could have used completely new characters. But, it wouldn't have resonated with everyone as much as using the Classic Crew.

Personally, I don't care how far or much they change it. I'm just looking for a good, fun movie...

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I've regarded this as sort of a "Batman Begins" reboot for the Star Trek franchise and if this movie does well,starts a new continuity for the genre.If it fails.......I don't see any future(no pun intended)for the franchise.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lucius Prometheus Vorenus
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LC8iKVpDyQE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LC8iKVpDyQE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I no longer have any doubts. This movie is going to kick-ass...

Meh.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Doctor? Thoughts?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I have yet to see anything that would make me want to see this movie.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
How so? Too "mainstream"?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
It's almost like it's Galaxy Quest without the self awareness that it's supposed to be funny.

I don't know how to say it. It's not that it's too mainstream as much as it seems to be trying too hard to be mainstream if that makes any sense. It's much like the Superman script that turned Kal-El into Neo from the Matrix. Pegg looks like he'd be a good Scotty. I don't really care about who's cast in the other roles except for McCoy. Ain't no goddamn body going to be a better McCoy than DeForest Kelley.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The only person I can think of you might have been able play McCoy almost as well as DeForrest Kelley is Gary Sinise.

[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I agree that Gary Sinise would make the best Dr. McCoy, but I think he's a bit too high profile, too established an actor to work for a franchise of actors. From what I've seen, it looks like they picked actors whose stars were on the rise rather than those who have really made it big already. Now, since I know how much you love to argue and contradict what people say, G-Man, no matter how small or petty those details may be, I await your carefully measured lawyerly argument.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I would simply cite the "Batman Begins/Dark Knight" precedent which shows that a perfectly cast "name" actor or two (ex: Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman) among rising stars (ex: Bale, Ledger, Eckhert) can actually improve a film immeasurably.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
That's true, as long as you can keep them for more than a couple of films. My only concern is that a name actor would either get bored with the franchise, demand much more money than his no-name fellow actors, or leave after the first film to avoid being typecast.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah, but this is Gary Sinise we're talking about. The guy currently stars in a CSI spinoff. That would seem to eliminate worries about him getting bored with a franchise or worried about typecasting. If anything, the biggest issue would seem to be whether or not the producers could film his scenes around the TV series schedule.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
That's another consideration that probably went into their thinking behind casting up and comers.

My biggest problem with the casting is Chris Pine as Kirk. Too pretty-boy, no maturity. It's a completely different Kirk.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
Well this is Green Arrow Kirk, not Modern Age Kirk.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I don't understand the bit when young Kirk flings himself out of the car and over the side of a cliff. Is the reboot Kirk retarded?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Maybe this Kirk didn't reprogram the computer for the Kobyashi Maru test. Instead, he drooled on the circuit board and shorted it out.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I think he was running from the law, and didn't realize the road ran out. Looked like that chasm was structured, as well. Like the remains of a skyrise basement, or something. I don't know.

Trailer #2 is up in HD over at the Official Site. More detail than the camcorder in the theater version.

And no. No one can possibly be Bones McCoy, save the late, great DeForrest. I'll reserve judgment for what he does with the role until after I've seen the movie.

I think I just want it to be a real action flick with some humor. I've seen enough from the trailer to see that Abrams is sticking in enough continuity to appease me. Pike, check. Enterprise, check. Sarek and Amanda, check. Kirk as rebel/loner, check. Spock torn between human and Vulcan half, check. Scotty is Scotty, check. Sulu is Asian (possibly gay?), check. I'm willing to see pretty much everything else in a new light.

If anything will actually bother me, it will be if Kirk shoots from Cadet to Captain in this movie. Unless the timeframe itself covers the years, I don't want it to be where he saves the Enterprise (due to Pike being injured/absent) and then becomes its Captain and his band of rebels. That might be what I get. But, I hope not...

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
im no star trek fan, so i dont really care either way, but is there any fanboyish backlash over these characters all having new actors? can there be a non shatner kirk?

giant picture
Rob #1026337 2008-11-17 6:37 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Shatner?

I barely knew her!

\:lol\:

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
vulcan gold!

giant picture
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Betty White just Shatner pants.

Rob #1026345 2008-11-17 6:45 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen
im no star trek fan, so i dont really care either way, but is there any fanboyish backlash over these characters all having new actors? can there be a non shatner kirk?

The general consensus seems to be that the Simon Pegg as Scotty and the guy from "Heroes" as Spock are good choices but that Kirk is way too "boy band" looking. Beyond that, I haven't seen much strong opinion either way on the cast.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I don't have a problem with Pine, because I never had any pre-existing notion of what Kirk was like when he was younger than the 1960's version. So, he fits fine for me. I've seen a few press shots where he looks very pretty-boy. But, after seeing the trailer, I believe he can pull it off.

Besides, the gut instincts a lot of fans fight with over the whole recasting is that, somewhere in their mind, they think these new actors will be somehow trying to play the old actors. Pine isn't playing The Shat. He's playing a young James T. Kirk. So, given that, and given we've never seen a Kirk this age, it's really difficult to compare them with any accuracy...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
My only "pre-existing notion" of a young Kirk is, I guess, a young Shatner, circa "Judgement at Nuremburg" or "The Brothers Karamazov".

As I recall, Pine got decent reviews for "Smokin' Aces" so he might work out as the young Kirk. Still, of all the actors, I think he has the biggest hurdles to overcome since Kirk is so tied to Shatner and, unlike Spock, you don't have makeup to help with the casting.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Plus, it's just a fucking movie.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber

We really need to start raiding star trek message boards.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Seeing the trailer in on the official website just really puts home the point that Abrams drew more from Star Wars than Star Trek.

"Hey... hey.... That Star Wars.... It's got guys riding around on motorcycles without wheels. That'd be cool if we did that. Hey... hey.... You know what else that Star Wars got? It's got giant alien monsters. We should do that too."

Saw the Nimoy, though.

rex #1026355 2008-11-17 7:11 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex

If they are all as sensitive as Pro it should be a blast.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Seeing the trailer in on the official website just really puts home the point that Abrams drew more from Star Wars than Star Trek.

"Hey... hey.... That Star Wars.... It's got guys riding around on motorcycles without wheels. That'd be cool if we did that. Hey... hey.... You know what else that Star Wars got? It's got giant alien monsters. We should do that too."

Saw the Nimoy, though.

But, to be fair, if Roddenberry had the budget in 1966 Trek might have always had those things. For example, the only reason the crew "transported" down to the planet each week was because the show didn't have the budget to show a spaceship landing on a different planet every week.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts

dont listen to rex. he just wants to go looking for his lost lover beardguy...

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: K-nutreturns

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lucius Prometheus Vorenus
 Originally Posted By: K-nutreturns

Please don't raid the star trek forums, its the only place I can go to get away from meanies like rex

rex #1026401 2008-11-18 1:33 AM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
"it's"...jeezuschrist rex, at least try...

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
No, actually its Jesus Christ. Learn to spell prometheus.

rex #1026418 2008-11-18 3:04 AM
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Quinto as Spock looks awesome, Pegg should be entertaining too.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I agree. But Pine makes for a bland Kirk. Maybe I'll change my mind once I see more.

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard