Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

• Chevrolet El Camino
    Introduced: 1959

The front end of a car and the back end of a pickup—convenient but unsightly. The El Camino went through several redesigns, each worse than the one before. This 1982 model seemed to be wearing dental braces, and the chrome accents over its wheel housing only draw the eye to mystifying hub caps.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I agree that the Camino there is ugly, but not all of them were. The 70's had some nice designs.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

• Citroën Ami
    Introduced: 1961
    Design: Flaminio Bertoni

This car has fenders that drop below the tire line and a top that extends from the back like a porch roof. Add some oddly shaped windows and dot-sized brake lights for a uniquely strange-looking vehicle.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

• Lightburn Zeta
    Introduced: 1963

This Australian car was designed by a maker of cement mixers and washing machines, but that might be obvious. There are two grilles, both in a fence-like pattern, with protruding headlights on either side.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

• Wartburg 353
    Introduced: 1965

Can you find one thing you like about this East German car?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

• Volkswagen Thing
    Introduced: 1969

This is the design philosophy of the Thing: Take the basics of the Beetle—an engine, powertrain, and seats—and plop them in an unfinished metal box. There's no front grille, the bumper is an afterthought, and nobody bothered to round the fenders.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Personally, I don't really think that the VW Thing is ugly. Different? Yes, by miles. I just think it's a different aesthetic. I see that car, and I suddenly want to drive across Poland for some reason.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

• AMC Gremlin
    Introduced: 1970
    Design: Richard A. Teague

Introduced on April Fool's Day, the Gremlin was ugly, but it's had its fans. Still, that doesn't excuse the abruptly angled back end, saucer hubcaps, and aborted rear windows. It also came in some nasty colors, like the brown-copper concoction seen here.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

• Bond Bug
    Design: Ogle Design

No, it has nothing to do with James Bond, and yes, it was legally driven on real roads. The Bug defies car design language with three wheels, a boat-like bottom, and zip windows.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

• Ford Pinto
    Design: Robert Eidschun

The Pinto doesn't seem so bad—that is, until you remember how sexy Fords (F) from the 1960s were. The design devolved into hexagonal headlight housings, a grille that's only a few inches tall yet wide enough to become the car's focal point, and a rear end that apparently melted from the roof.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

• Ford Mustang II
    Introduced: 1973

Somehow, Ford transformed the classic first-generation Mustang into this. Gone are the sleek lines, side intakes, and close-to-the-road profile. Instead, the Mustang II looks like many cars of the '70s: bloated, heavy, bland, and forgettable.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
The beginning of a downward spiral that took almost 30 years to pull the 'stang out of.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I may be wrong, but I don't see the Pontiac Aztek on that list.

If it's an omission that's a big one.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

• Bricklin SV1
    Introduced: 1974

This ride has a well-earned reputation for being a complete mechanical clunker—and it looked like one, too. The front end is squared like an awful dress shoe, is wider than the driver's cabin, and rises high before sloping down dramatically, giving it a front-heavy, unstable appearance.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10/1028_50_ugliest_cars_of_past_50_years/39.htm

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: iggy

Correction. I found it. Fifth row down. Center column. It was hard to spot because they used a photo of the back.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts

Somewhere in time, Doc is crying.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Those mother fuckers obviously have something against time travel.

Seriously, though, some of their choices are off, as least as far as I'm concerned. Not a big fan of the PT Cruiser myself, but it was hugely popular.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts

I gotta disagree with this. I'm not saying the Sable was a great car by any means. I'm just not so sure it was "bleh," just really "eh."

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
The DeLorean was not an ugly car by any means.
A shit car, yes, but ugly, no!

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts

Yeah, definitely not a Bond worthy Aston Martin.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I also, for the most part, liked the Prowler and Chevy SSR truck.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Those mother fuckers obviously have something against time travel.

Seriously, though, some of their choices are off, as least as far as I'm concerned. Not a big fan of the PT Cruiser myself, but it was hugely popular.

Originally Posted By: Nöwheremän
The DeLorean was not an ugly car by any means.
A shit car, yes, but ugly, no!

I would have put the Geo Metro convertible on the list before either of those

That thing just screamed "cheap piece of shit."

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Where's the fucking Le Car?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Only homos hate the El Camino.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts

They nailed this one perfectly. But, I don't think the avalanche alone is guilty of the whole abrupt ending in regard to the rear bed. Truck beds are becoming almost non-existent at this point all to try and appeal to people who feel compelled to own a truck without ever using a truck for truck purposes. Sure, one can own whatever vehicle they care for, but considering I like to haul shit...most trucks these days just aren't up to snuff.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I'm not a fan of it, but I guy I work with is in love with it and wishes he could buy one. It'd be perfect for him since he heads up his son's Boy Scout troop. A good family truck able to haul people and gear.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
The Nissan Cube is an ugly piece of shit, though. Looks even uglier in person than it does on TV.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Yeah, I can see it for uses like that. I just get a little confounded by people who own a truck they're too scared to ding. I just wonder, "What the hell did you buy a truck for?"

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Also, they give shit to the Prius and Tata, but ignore the SmartCar?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm not a fan of it, but I guy I work with is in love with it and wishes he could buy one. It'd be perfect for him since he heads up his son's Boy Scout troop. A good family truck able to haul people and gear.

A bed that small, however, you might as well just buy a full sized SUV and throw the gear in the back of that. At the same time you'd have better stability in bad weather.

About the only advantage of the truck would be hauling stuff that, for one reason or another, is too dirty or smelly to put in an enclosed cab.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
The One told us it was "the car of the future."

-BusinessWeek

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Also, they give shit to the Prius and Tata, but ignore the SmartCar?

Maybe they figured out it shouldn't count as a car, but as a golf cart.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
there seems to be a clear slant towards the 1970s, which isn't all that fair, since the cars weren't necessarily perceived as ugly at the time; they're just dated in design.

giant picture
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
And where the fuck is the 80's Dodge Charger?

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
And where the fuck is the 80's Dodge Charger?

Ghastly. Good call.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
How the fuck can anyone call an Ferrari Enzo, ugly?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
They're retarded.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard