Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yes, that's how drawing works. The artist adds lines to a piece of paper in order to create an image.

But, seriously, while it's really just a redesign of the old one, most people are referring to it as a new costume.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
The new Superman costume (the Lee one, not the Rags' version) grates on me. He's invulnerable and they've got him wearing armor?

while that is somewhat of a conflicting issue... it sure as fuck makes more sense than wearing a body stocking.

the batman and superman "redesigns" are basically the original versions with changes that everyone has been begging to have for decades: no undies, more streamlined, more like "suits" than "costumes". i find wonder woman's to be a little devoid of color, but for the most part i think they're all awesome upgrades. i'd have preferred something more drastic, but i think this is the perfect balance between new and classic.

giant picture
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

Amazing how adding lines makes it a new costume.

I like Aquaman,GL's and Wonder Woman's outfits the most.I like Superman's updated look,but could do without the armor and lines.Batman's makes more sense for his line(no pun intended)of work so no real problems but I liked the yellow oval better from Batman Inc.
Flash's is pretty good but I don't care for the boots and Cyborg is way too bulky looking.Slim his armor down a bit and it would look much better.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob
The new Superman costume (the Lee one, not the Rags' version) grates on me. He's invulnerable and they've got him wearing armor?

while that is somewhat of a conflicting issue... it sure as fuck makes more sense than wearing a body stocking.

Why? The main purpose of clothing (other than modesty) is protecting the vulnerable areas of the body (from injury, heat, cold, etc.). Superman doesn't need that protection. On other hand, a "body stocking" can be worn under his civilian clothes. As such it the tights make more sense for Superman. In fact, he might be the only superhero where tights makes the most sense.

Quote:
the batman and superman "redesigns" are basically the original versions with changes that everyone has been begging to have for decades: no undies, more streamlined, more like "suits" than "costumes".

I've got no problem with the Batman redesign and can live with the WW costume. Furthermore, the general color scheme of the Superman suit (no yellow belt, no red underoos) is fine.

My only beef is, as noted above, is that, rather than be more streamlined, it's actually clunkier, due to the armored look.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I always liked the Eradicator costume from Reign of the Supermen. Something like that sans the gay goggles would be a cool update. I agree that making the costumes more functional suits rather than spandex is a plus. I just find the 'body lines' stuff to be kinda lazy and pointless. Batman can get away with it considering that he's just a dude in the middle of gang fights. I think I'd like more of a blue (a dark navy blue, maybe) on WW's tights or not tights at all tee hee. Don't get the lines on Flash's boots. Always like Kolins's use of thick sole boots with the grips as it seemed more functional. Probably the best look is the old TV Flash costume that didn't look like boots but a part of a flexible costume that would seem better for a runner than boots.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I always liked the Eradicator costume from Reign of the Supermen. Something like that sans the gay goggles would be a cool update.

Yeah. Lose the glasses, along with the turtleneck, and tone down the "padded shoulders" look to the cape and we'd have a winner.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts

Why? The main purpose of clothing (other than modesty) is protecting the vulnerable areas of the body (from injury, heat, cold, etc.). Superman doesn't need that protection. On other hand, a "body stocking" can be worn under his civilian clothes. As such it the tights make more sense for Superman. In fact, he might be the only superhero where tights makes the most sense.

"armor" makes more sense than spandex because of the default; spandex makes no sense. none of it makes sense, really. why would superman have a cape, for crying out loud. so, really, we're debating silly upon silly.

but, to me, something other than the comic book cliche of pajamas just makes more sense, even if the only justification is there's no reason for the alternative stretchy cloth so-skin-tight you can see sinew. if we're playing the "superman is invulnerable" card, then he should go the watchmen route and not wear anything. if you're asking for modesty as well as speed and convenience: he's superman. he could fly to kansas, get his overalls, and fly back to metropolis before braniac finishes his first punch. the practicality of wearing something beneath his work clothes just means he should wear a suit a few sizes larger - which, as clark kent, bumbling shit head, he should already do. none of which, of course, would help him explain why he's wearing a long-sleeved shirt every minute of every day. or his incredibly embarrassing compulsion to adjust "the boys" beneath 11 pairs of underwear.

to me, a shirt with a function beyond "hey, it's blue" makes 1% more sense - even if both concepts are silly. whether that's armor, or some slightly "padded" suit ("padded" not necessarily meaning "padding", just something more regular than spandex).

giant picture
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
I always liked the Eradicator costume from Reign of the Supermen. Something like that sans the gay goggles would be a cool update.

Yeah. Lose the glasses, along with the turtleneck, and tone down the "padded shoulders" look to the cape and we'd have a winner.

i do lustfully agree! eraditcator and the "evil future superman" from justice league had two very cool looks that i'd love to see. however, i think they're "too dramatic" for most fans.

giant picture
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Don't get the lines on Flash's boots. Always like Kolins's use of thick sole boots with the grips as it seemed more functional. Probably the best look is the old TV Flash costume that didn't look like boots but a part of a flexible costume that would seem better for a runner than boots.

im fine with flash's boots for really the same reason - the cowboys cheerleader boots he was wearing didn't make any sense. at least these look "super hero".

i do think, however, that it would have been a good time to give the flash a better mask. other than batman, he seems to be the best fit for a full mask to protect his skin from lightning fast debris. i especially think a pair of goggles (impulse style? catwoman style?) would have made sense to keep his eyes protected.

also... why the fuck are hal's gloves still white? boo.

giant picture
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I just remembered John Byrne explaining the spandex as the telekinetic field around his body prevents tight clothes from ripping as easily. Still, just as simple to have him wear something other than spandex than have to come up with crazy explanations as to why he wears spandex.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
I just remembered John Byrne explaining the spandex as the telekinetic field around his body prevents tight clothes from ripping as easily. Still, just as simple to have him wear something other than spandex than have to come up with crazy explanations as to why he wears spandex.

plus, they're always ripping anyway!

(btw, isn't that also how byrne explained supes ability to fly...?)

giant picture
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
also... why the fuck are hal's gloves still white? boo.

It's still before Labor Day?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Don't know, but I do know it's also how he explains Supes' ability to hold giant shit over his head without it breaking apart or wobbling uncontrollably due to imbalance.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

"armor" makes more sense than spandex because of the default; spandex makes no sense. none of it makes sense, really. why would superman have a cape, for crying out loud. so, really, we're debating silly upon silly.

but, to me, something other than the comic book cliche of pajamas just makes more sense, even if the only justification is there's no reason for the alternative stretchy cloth so-skin-tight you can see sinew. if we're playing the "superman is invulnerable" card, then he should go the watchmen route and not wear anything...

But Superman started the "pajamas" cliche in comic books. So if there's a character who earned the right to keep wearing tights it's him.

Furthermore, from what I understand, he wears the costume because of the idea that it makes him more approachable despite being an omnipowered alien. The theatrical costume in primary colors keeps people from thinking of him as an alien. It also distracts from the fact he doesn't wear a mask and lets people think he doesn't even have a secret ID.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts

Don't know, but I do know it's also how he explains Supes' ability to hold giant shit over his head without it breaking apart or wobbling uncontrollably due to imbalance.

bah. i quite enjoyed magog's frustration over that physics aspect, in kingdom come. or, really, the only good part of superman returns, during the plane scene.

giant picture
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
i do lustfully agree! eraditcator and the "evil future superman" from justice league had two very cool looks that i'd love to see. however, i think they're "too dramatic" for most fans.

Yes, the Justice Lords Superman was also a cool look.

Honestly, they were all pretty cool updates, except for Flash who just wore the Reverse Flash getup.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
yeah, Timm's redesigns are worlds better than Lee's shite.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
But Superman started the "pajamas" cliche in comic books. So if there's a character who earned the right to keep wearing tights it's him.

are you disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing, or are you actually ok with the jammies?

giant picture
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
If, by jammies, you mean tights and the cape, I have no problem with the classic "Superman in tights" look. While I'm glad to see the underoos gone, I think he's the one character where the tights are not only iconic but logical (in part for the reasons I stated above).

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
G-man wants a nude superman.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
and how?

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
and how!!!

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I think Superman needs some golf clubs.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Grimm

Lee is a lot like Perez in that I like his art, but he's not good at designing.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Yeah, the Supes armor is a little silly. But, there might be story reason. Either way, take a look at everything everyone is wearing and it screams "Jim Lee". The moment he leaves the book, let's see how long the next artist keeps up the "line work". Kind of how every writer after Morrison goes and simply goes back to status quo (see: X-Men).

Wonder Woman has the best costume. I wish Lee was doing her book, instead. Batman and Superman's outfits look too similar to each other to work. Compared to Rags Superman, this one suffers greatly.

Flash doesn't look like anything updated except the gauntlet-boots. Meh. Lantern looks the same. Meh. Aquaman looks exactly the same. Meh.

And they all look "Ten Years Ago"-21 years old.

Cyborg is the new Martian Manhunter. Thanks DC Universe Online marketing tie-in!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Totally. Perez's design evolution peaked in the 80's with Crisis. Lee's peaked in the 90's with Image...

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Cyborg is the new Martian Manhunter.

Does his voice sound Martian enough?

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts

Perez is actually pretty good at designing: Donna Troy/Wonder Girl (red outfit), Raven, Cyborg, Changeling, White Tiger, Ultra=Humanite, Mammoth, Gizmo, Luthor's power armor, Trigon, Deathstroke, etc. while not every one of his designs works (Troia), for the most part, he's actually pretty good.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Donna Troy/Wonder Girl (red outfit)

If you mean this outfit:

That costume was designed by Nick Cardy, long before Perez was even in the business.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
No, he's talking this:

Cardy's, while red, is NOT what Perez designed....

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Perez brought cleavage into the table.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Correct.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
That's basically what's wrong with Batman and Superman's costumes these days - no cleavage.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Didn't Changeling just wear the Doom Patrol costume? Probably refused to take it off after his mommy died.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
No, he's talking this:

Cardy's, while red, is NOT what Perez designed....

Wonder Girl was wearing that costume (which is just Cardy's with a lower neckline and a few minor differences), as far back as issue 44 of the original Teen Titans run:

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
And check out Cardy's cover for TT # 37. Again, there's no real difference between his costume design and what Perez drew:

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
The stars on the costume are wrong, the cut is wrong, and she lacks cleavage. As SOM pointed out. Cleavage. If you're not prepared to admit Perez's cleavage genius, then I cannot help you...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Hey, is that Grant Morrison's SSoV character in the corner?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The stars on the costume are wrong, the cut is wrong, and she lacks cleavage

My friend, in the mid 70s I was in middle school and I studied those Nick Cardy drawings of Wonder Girl...repeatedly.

Perez's costume is the same one. Maybe he changed the cleavage a little, but not to the point of making it a new costume.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
As SOM pointed out. Cleavage. If you're not prepared to admit Perez's cleavage genius, then I cannot help you...

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard