Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 137 of 137 1 2 135 136 137
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
the thing in Rupert Pink's bed bugs me. It doesn't fit in with the resolution that the doctor's obsession with the perfect stealth creatures was just Clara's fault. The thing didn't look like a human (it was blurred but it looked ugly) and it disappeared in a flash of blue light.

Since it's Moffat's episode I'm betting he's planting stuff for later again, like what he did in Flesh and Stone (e.g. the doctor losing his coat mid-scene, etc.)

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
the thing in Rupert Pink's bed bugs me. It doesn't fit in with the resolution that the doctor's obsession with the perfect stealth creatures was just Clara's fault. The thing didn't look like a human (it was blurred but it looked ugly) and it disappeared in a flash of blue light.

Since it's Moffat's episode I'm betting he's planting stuff for later again, like what he did in Flesh and Stone (e.g. the doctor losing his coat mid-scene, etc.)

I'm hoping there's more to it as well. Just saying that it could have been a kid fucking with them isn't enough. Nor does it explain the message on the chalk board.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Just watched Dark Water.

The Cybermen reveal would have worked better if they didn't show the Cybermen all over the teasers and preview clips. It's not like they needed to show the cybermen to drum up hype for the finale.

When they showed the skeletons people already knew those were cybermen. And the thing with the dark water not showing non organic matter was dead giveaway.

Missy's identity was already guessed at by many fans, but it's still a satisfying reveal. I hope he/she doesn't get killed in the finale. It would be nice to have one of the doctor's most iconic villains running around.

old one eye
2500+ posts
old one eye
2500+ posts
I did not see any of the teasers so it was a cool surprise.

How you doin'?
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Online Cool
15000+ posts
David Tennant will be a bad guy in the new Jessica Jones netflix series http://www.rkmbs.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1216879

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Never got into this last Doctor but this current season has been pretty good. Kind of wondering if the current companion is going to wind up being the Master's kid? Anybody here still watching?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
Online Cool
15000+ posts
Still watching. The current season has been real good.

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
Online Cool
15000+ posts
So what do you think of The Doctor being a woman now? The first thing she did is prove women can't drive.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
So what do you think of The Doctor being a woman now? The first thing she did is prove women can't drive.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I didn't really care for the last Doctor so I'm ready for a new one. Maybe that had more to do with Moffat. Since both have left I'm ready for some new Who. Hopefully it will be good.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
Online Cool
15000+ posts
Yeah,I think it was bad writing. I thought the last season was pretty good. I loved his exit speech.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
For me Dr. Who is and will always be Tom Baker.

In my area, circa 1981-1983, they would play an hour of Tom Baker Doctor Who episodes right before the 6PM McNeil-Lehrer News Hour on PBS. So while in college, I could get in my fantasy and news in two back to back hours.

I've tried watching the subsequent actors as Doctor Who, most recently on BBC America, the only place I know that plays the series at this point, and while they are undeniably bigger budget and more sophisticated from an s-f perspective, I just can't get into it for the long haul like the 70's/80's run. I love the Baker-era cool-looking bug-eyed aliens from that period, and the opening/closing theme song and visuals.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Dr Who Review, Part 5 - The Tom Baker Era

They have a similar documentary for each actor and era of the series.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I started watching some of the first season from the 60’s and wow. For a kids show with a tiny budget it’s pretty impressive. And the Doctor is all about himself and his granddaughter Susan. Very different from the Doctors I’ve seen before although I can now see how some of them drew inspiration from the original. The companions are more important players to the point where the Doctor isn’t the star of the show but merely part of the ensemble. Susan being the exception. She does a lot of screaming and that’s to bad as she seemed to have so much potential. She does get to do a couple of things but screaming seems to be the main thing. Different story with Barbara and Ian. They are just as likely to save the day than the Doctor. In these early stories they were the heroes trying to get the Doctor to do the right thing. He’s more curious than idealistic. Nice to discover that these early episodes are so good.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Pluto TV is running all the classic Doctor Who seasons btw. I’ve been watching some but it’s running “live” so no pausing so I’ve caught episodes here and there but never a full story. I’m seeing enough though where I’m going to have to pick up some of the dvds

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
As I recall, the DR WHO show has been on British television almost continuously since the late 1950's.

I first became aware of it in the mid 1970's in the Tom Baker era. I was given a hardcover book growing up, MONSTERS WHO'S WHO, that was an A to Z dictionary of famous monsters, from Greek mythology, to the classic Hollywood movie monsters to Star Trek aliens to Marvel comics characters. And it included one or several photos of 1950's Dr WHO episode characters, I think the Daleks and maybe others. That was the first I became aware that the show had a long history extending way back before the Tom Baker episodes that I thought it began with.

Even in the Tom Baker era, there's a mix of sometimes childish and low-budget elements, but also some really cool monsters and complex plots and concepts. I'd love to see some of those early episodes.

It saddens me that about 3 years ago both SYFY and BBCAmerica networks were running marathons of Star Trek the original series episodes, but both stopped pretty abruptly, indicating to me that the broadcast episodes weren't being viewed by many. I suspect that as long as TOS episodes have been available on series DVD sets (I myself have a boxed set of all 3 seasons, but would still watch them when played on TV live) that the long availability on DVD has killed the market for watching them live for the most part. Those who love the original show have mostly purchased the series already.

Plus the efforts of the producers of subsequent Star Trek movies and series to discourage and view with contempt the original series, have all contributed to a loss of interest in the original series, at least enough of a drop to make broadcasting the original episodes no longer sustainable.

Maybe the only profitable way to run the original series at this point is through on-demand subscriber video services like Netflix, Hulu and so forth.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Russell T Davies is returning to the TARDIS in the post-Chibnall/Whitaker era to be (one of) the first to serve as showrunner twice. Thoughts?

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
He got a lot of flak during his time, but his era was what got me into Who, so I don't know what the problem is. It's much better than Chibnall's era. New fans always deflect any criticism of Chibnall's era as just misogynists not wanting a woman as the doctor, but I was actually excited for the Jodie Whittaker's casting. I thought having a female doctor would open up new story possibilities and hopefully keep us away from companions that treat the doctor as a boyfriend, but the "fam" was just too stupid and whoever was showrunning didn't give Jodie good stories to work on. Maybe RT Davies will give us a good run again.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Also, I want to have sex with Jodie Whittaker.

15000+ posts
Online Cool
15000+ posts
And call her doctor Who the whole time.
Oh,right there, Doctor Who!
Oh yeah,Doctor Who, do that Doctor Who!
Faster,Doctor Who!
Can I finish in your mouth,Doctor Who?!

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
You forgot "Go get me a sandwich, Doctor Who!"

There were aspects of the RTD era (Jesus Doctor and companion crushes) that grated on me, but his was an enjoyable run overall. I checked out on Chibnall-Whitaker pretty quickly because they seemed to run with the shit storytelling that was the back end of the Moffat-Capaldi era. Would love a fairly hard reboot after some of the toy breaking done by Moffat and Chibnall.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
We can all agree on one thing: "Gerald in your living room" was a bad concept, even for Lothar.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Page 137 of 137 1 2 135 136 137

Link Copied to Clipboard