Chris Oakley said:
Quote:

rex said:
LINK

Quote:

Film has Kidman
in love with 10-year-old
Actress defends bathtub scene that drew boos from audience

Raising the ire of a festival audience, a new Hollywood film pushes the limits of mainstream entertainment, featuring superstar Nicole Kidman in a romantic relationship with a 10-year-old boy.

The scene that has drawn the most attention has Kidman's character in a bathtub with the boy, although the filmmakers emphasize it involves no sexual activity.

But in a screening of the R-rated film at the Venice Film Festival, the scene drew boos from the audience.

In "Birth," the Kidman character, a widow named Anna, is confronted by the boy's claim that his body has been inhabited by her dead husband.

The woman initially dismisses the boy, but she eventually becomes convinced he is telling the truth and falls in love.

"I see this as a beautiful film about love, I do not see it as something that is exploitive or distasteful," Kidman told Associated Press Television News. "I would never want to make something like that; it's just not my thing."

The actress, 37, said she was drawn to the film, which opens tomorrow, because "it is about the strength of love, and the memory of love, and the desire to have that exist forever."

The New York Post said "Birth" has been described as "Mary Kay Letourneau meets 'Ghost,'" referring to the teacher convicted of rape for a relationship with a 13-year-old and the 1990 romantic comedy.

Kidman admitted to the Post that the bathtub scene – which is shot over her bare back and shows the boy from the waist up – is unusual, "but the whole film is unusual."

"It's not about sex, you know, it's certainly not about sex," she said, according to the Post. "It's about love, it's about being ... under the spell of somebody."

Another scene has Anna kissing, on the lips, the boy, played by 11-year-old Canadian Cameron Bright.

She asks, as they share ice-cream, if he has ever made love to a girl.

Kidman said the film is meant to make people feel uncomfortable, "but not in a way where you're trying to exploit a young boy."

With a son nearly the same age as Bright, Kidman admitted, however, it felt strange to kiss her co-star.

"It sort of was, but . . . the first time I read [the script] I really saw it, because when you read it you're not picturing a child," she said, according to the Post.

"You're actually reading a story and it sort of washes over you and you absorb the themes of the film ... loss and grief and the desire for somebody to come back."

"Birth" director Jonathan Glazer said he did not intend to be salacious, but understands he's touched on the "ultimate taboo in many respects."

"But for me [the bathtub scene] was an important part of the story – it was essential for [Kidman's character] to be confronted by that absolute no-go area.

"The context of that scene is sacred in a way."

Kidman insisted everyone involved with the film was careful to guard the boy's innocence and didn't allow him to read the script.

Many of the reaction shots in the bath scene were filmed separately, she pointed out.

"I believe in ... keeping it so that Cameron just thinks it's kind of fun and a job and, you know, he gets to get a bit of money and have a great lunch and then he goes home," she said, according to the Post.

"He doesn't quite know what he's doing, which is good."

Is nambla producing this film?

Probably not...if they were,it would be even sicker.

But thanks to Chris Oakley the original post still exists...

The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
Quote:

People die all over the world every day.

A movie is made, showing a woman and a boy sitting in water.

Which one of these do people get most riled over?

The word is "Fiction", people.

Get a grip, and a get some perspective.....

Hey I'm not a big fan of people dying either but what can I do to stop it besides pray? But with the film industry we can speak out by not supporting the movie. What about the child actor that was in the movie? What about his "shattering of innocence?" Even if the article said they were trying to guard it..whatever, he was naked in a bathtub with someone old enough to be his mother. It's still wrong no matter how you word it or view it.

There's enough child predators out there hurting children, we definately do not have to put some of that in the movie industry!

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:
Quote:

rex said:
LINK

Quote:

Film has Kidman
in love with 10-year-old
Actress defends bathtub scene that drew boos from audience

Raising the ire of a festival audience, a new Hollywood film pushes the limits of mainstream entertainment, featuring superstar Nicole Kidman in a romantic relationship with a 10-year-old boy.

The scene that has drawn the most attention has Kidman's character in a bathtub with the boy, although the filmmakers emphasize it involves no sexual activity.

But in a screening of the R-rated film at the Venice Film Festival, the scene drew boos from the audience.

In "Birth," the Kidman character, a widow named Anna, is confronted by the boy's claim that his body has been inhabited by her dead husband.

The woman initially dismisses the boy, but she eventually becomes convinced he is telling the truth and falls in love.

"I see this as a beautiful film about love, I do not see it as something that is exploitive or distasteful," Kidman told Associated Press Television News. "I would never want to make something like that; it's just not my thing."

The actress, 37, said she was drawn to the film, which opens tomorrow, because "it is about the strength of love, and the memory of love, and the desire to have that exist forever."

The New York Post said "Birth" has been described as "Mary Kay Letourneau meets 'Ghost,'" referring to the teacher convicted of rape for a relationship with a 13-year-old and the 1990 romantic comedy.

Kidman admitted to the Post that the bathtub scene – which is shot over her bare back and shows the boy from the waist up – is unusual, "but the whole film is unusual."

"It's not about sex, you know, it's certainly not about sex," she said, according to the Post. "It's about love, it's about being ... under the spell of somebody."

Another scene has Anna kissing, on the lips, the boy, played by 11-year-old Canadian Cameron Bright.

She asks, as they share ice-cream, if he has ever made love to a girl.

Kidman said the film is meant to make people feel uncomfortable, "but not in a way where you're trying to exploit a young boy."

With a son nearly the same age as Bright, Kidman admitted, however, it felt strange to kiss her co-star.

"It sort of was, but . . . the first time I read [the script] I really saw it, because when you read it you're not picturing a child," she said, according to the Post.

"You're actually reading a story and it sort of washes over you and you absorb the themes of the film ... loss and grief and the desire for somebody to come back."

"Birth" director Jonathan Glazer said he did not intend to be salacious, but understands he's touched on the "ultimate taboo in many respects."

"But for me [the bathtub scene] was an important part of the story – it was essential for [Kidman's character] to be confronted by that absolute no-go area.

"The context of that scene is sacred in a way."

Kidman insisted everyone involved with the film was careful to guard the boy's innocence and didn't allow him to read the script.

Many of the reaction shots in the bath scene were filmed separately, she pointed out.

"I believe in ... keeping it so that Cameron just thinks it's kind of fun and a job and, you know, he gets to get a bit of money and have a great lunch and then he goes home," she said, according to the Post.

"He doesn't quite know what he's doing, which is good."

Is nambla producing this film?

Probably not...if they were,it would be even sicker.

But thanks to Chris Oakley the original post still exists...

Which is all the funnier that he was only replying to the last line of rex's post...

And that's terrible.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
People die all over the world every day.

A movie is made, showing a woman and a boy sitting in water.

Which one of these do people get most riled over?

The word is "Fiction", people.

Get a grip, and a get some perspective.....

Now you are just being silly.

People get "riled" over death every day.

It doesn't mean that people can't also complain about a film.

And, in fact, let us look at what forum we are posting on...that's right, it's a message board about movies and television, filled with messages posted by people getting "riled over" films, TV shows, etc.

Or are you saying it is somehow BETTER to bitch about the color of the Human Torch's hair than to bitch about this film?

Seriously, if you are going to be offended by people complaining about a film on a "message board" because there's "people [dying] all over the world every day" you are probably posting in the wrong place friend.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Let me reiterate the word "perspective".

It's a film. It is fiction.

Princess, dear, do you honestly believe that the child actor is actually naked in the scene? I mean, I haven't seen it. But, based on common sense and mild understanding of how people make movies, isn't it a bit more rational to believe that he is shirtless and wearing some form of water trunks, like most actors that do bathtub scenes? And, let me emphasize the word "actor". This is a movie. It's not real.

G-Man, is it "silly" to state how utterly absurd this knee-jerk reaction is? My point is, if you want to direct venom and anger over something horrible, degrading, and threatening to every American child, there is plenty in the world to look to for that.

Throwing a fit over a piece of fictional film is hardly worthy of anyone's intelligence......especially those in this thread......

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard