Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
If the demand for gas is still going up despite the price hikes, is it really the oil companies' who are to blame for their profits. They have to make a profit in order to keep running.

But do they need to make RECORD profits during this time in our nation's history? We've got a war going on in Iraq, probably another one upcoming in or over Iran. Do they need to make so much extra money?

We all wear a green carnation.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
It's mainly the market setting the price.

Hey, I'm not above being angry also at those who drive gas guzzlers like SUVs. We've all got to behave responsibly with respect to our use of fossil fuels.

graemlin protector
6000+ posts
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
Quote:

sweetmarlene said:
Yeah, it's $2.80 today. A friend of mine just spent $35 filling up her tank. Granted, she drives a Jeep, but still...

2.65-69

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:
If the demand for gas is still going up despite the price hikes, is it really the oil companies' who are to blame for their profits. They have to make a profit in order to keep running.

But do they need to make RECORD profits during this time in our nation's history? We've got a war going on in Iraq, probably another one upcoming in or over Iran. Do they need to make so much extra money?

Quote:

thedoctor said:
If they sell more every year, they're going to make more profits, period. Simple math.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:

Quote:

thedoctor said:
If they sell more every year, they're going to make more profits, period. Simple math.

Your simple math is not so simple and does not account for the role of the price increases on those profits. You haven't teased out SOLD MORE from COSTS A LOT.

If you tease that out, then let's talk.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Record amounts of consumption leads to record profits. This isn't the 80's where the government had slapped the hand of oil companies so hard in the 70's to make them just pump all the money into their pockets. Oil companies now invest in new, cheaper, and safer technologies for drilling as well as finding more oil deposits in which to drill from.

Talk to China and the folks in the SUV's about the rising costs of gasoline.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Lor Offline
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
well, its currently 2.75 per gallon of 87.

all i can think of is how much food i could buy for 2.75. thats a half a gallon of milk and a lofe of bread.

we spend about 50 bucks fillin the tank. once some times twice a week.

its horrible. that and yes everything goes up in price as well. the bus system sucks. theres no entertainment places but the mall and movie theaters. ticket prices for a movie is ridiculious. so yea. we basicilly have resorted to, if we dont need anything we dont go anywhere.

glad to be of pleasurable service

"don't worry hunny, we'll dig our own graves..."

1,032,000 points!
Ill Mac
300+ posts
Ill Mac
300+ posts
I have to get premium.

Saw it for $3.01 today

BUT I found a Wal-Mart where it was only 2.97. SAAAweet.

Woot.

BUT as they say, gas consumption is LONG TERM elastic.

Check this out...

Prius attempts to hit 113 miles per gallon

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/66260/prius_hits_113mpg.html

Quote:

First Autoexpress reported the next Toyota Prius would be turbocharged, now the UK mag says the company is going after a Grail-like triple-digit mileage figure. According to a report, the next Prius will have a mileage target of 113 mpg, which is more than double what most Prius owners see from their current gas-electric hybrids. Toyota hopes to beat Mitsubishi to market with new, lithium-ion cells that are lighter, smaller, generate more power and last longer. Of course, with a plug-in hack even a current Prius could get 250 mpg or more, not that Toyota would consider that kind of action.
Prius Hits 113 mpg [Autoexpress (hat tip, Motorpulse)]]

"to ill mac - not unlike bbvl, your appreciation for naked or near-naked hot wimmins astounds me. if i ever provide an incomplete hot girl of the week review, you're always there to step up to the plate, and provide my needy fans with the appropriate boob and/or butt. i could not be more proud of you."

-Gob (At 10,000 posts)
-----------
Tony Stark:
Cool Exec.
Heart of Steel.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:

Why talk to the folks in the SUVs? No one compelled them to purchase a machine with such poor fuel economy. Am I to feel sorry for them? No fucking way. If fuel costs are going to be an issue for you in the use of the vehicle you're purchasing, for crying out loud don't buy a damned SUV.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
"It's Deja vu all over again!"

I guess you bambinos have no recollection of the 70s & 80s. Jim, the reluctant Boomer, should though. We had this problem licked at one time. The solution was greater efficiency in energy consumetion, most visibly in autos. How do you think the Japanese conquered the American auto market? It wasn't a sudden love of small cars on the part of American consumers.

This time around I don't care that much because I have a good public transportation system. You folks are gonna have to do like your parents (HEAVENS, NOT THAT!); dump the gas guzzler and buy a fuel efficient vehicle. The Japanese economy is saved once again by profligacy accross the Pacific!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:

Why talk to the folks in the SUVs? No one compelled them to purchase a machine with such poor fuel economy. Am I to feel sorry for them? No fucking way. If fuel costs are going to be an issue for you in the use of the vehicle you're purchasing, for crying out loud don't buy a damned SUV.

Um, I think you missed the point alltogether. It's not that you should feel sorry for them, but rather that they're the ones using the fuel and driving up the cost of oil. Remember? record consumption = record proffits. The point is blame the consumers, not the providors for record proffits.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Ok. And I do blame them.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I agree with WBAM.

And Magicjay.

And Jim.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

You folks are gonna have to do like your parents (HEAVENS, NOT THAT!); dump the gas guzzler and buy a fuel efficient vehicle.

Done and done.

At the risk of sounding like a lib. I don't mid high gas prices, because it forces the consumer into more efficient vehicles and increases the demand for alternitive fuels. Libs usually love this sorta thing, but they also love to hate Bush and Corperations, so they're in a bit of a quandry right now.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
I agree with WBAM.

And Magicjay.

And Jim.

And your head didn't explode?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

You folks are gonna have to do like your parents (HEAVENS, NOT THAT!); dump the gas guzzler and buy a fuel efficient vehicle.

Done and done.

At the risk of sounding like a lib. I don't mid high gas prices, because it forces the consumer into more efficient vehicles and increases the demand for alternitive fuels.

Listen, man, I have done the best that I can. I drive a fairly fuel efficient car and I do not spend wasteful hours just driviing for the hell of it. But I cannot afford these gas prices! Living on my own, paying child support. What more does the market want from me?!

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
While we're bitching about energy prices, does anyone recall the Energy Bust? After the price jumps in the 70's we began reducing our consumtion and prices tumbled. All those folks that moved from the Midwest to Texas for jobs, moved back home. Check out Urban Cowboy at the video store sometime! Enron was not the first disaster to create see-through buildings in downtown Houston. People closed escrows on new houses elsewhere then abandoned their houses in the oil patch.

You've got market economics playing live on the corner at your local gas station. Hope you enjoy the show!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Getting back to what Jim Jackson had to say about record profits for oil manufacturers last year, I think that's a very valid point.

The cost of raw materials and refining oil may have gone up, but oil profits have way outpaced cost.

And just as it was valid to ask about Clinton's gays-in-the-military advocacy, based on the fact that the gay lobby was among Clinton's largest campaign contributors, it's just as valid to point out that oil manufacturers are among G.W Bush's largest contributors.

That doesn't necessarily mean that W. Bush (or Clinton before him) are guilty of impropriety. But it does warrant asking the obvious questions and investigating.

Although no one but the conspiracy-prone are blaming the gas increases on Bush at this point in time.

As this report from last night's PBS broadcast makes clear. There are plenty of other factors that are spiking gas prices.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/economy/jan-june06/gas_4-12.html

And actually, for the usually un-sensational PBS News Hour, this report is remarkably alarmist.

( see also the NOW broadcast report I posted to this topic in November 2005)

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Although I may be wrong about oil profits being excessively high.

According to ConocoPhillips, the profit margins are not that large, percentage-wise, as compared to other U.S. industries.

Although when you're talking about an industry that operates in the tens or hundreds of billions, even a slight percentage increase works out to an enormous amount of money.

The same link above also argues that there is significant federal regulation of the oil industry, going back to the early 70's.

Wonder Boy #487258 2006-04-13 5:11 PM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I'm not pointing this one at Bush.

I just want to be able to afford gas for my car.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
I agree with WBAM.

And Magicjay.

And Jim.

Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
And your head didn't explode?

Nah. The point where I agree with each of you is on the idea that gas prices are tied to consumption and that people who drive SUVs shouldn't bitch too much about gas prices.

Granted, I drive an SUV. But, as noted before, I live in a rural area of upstate New York. SUVs are more or less necessary here. If I lived in a city, or a southern state, I wouldn't have one. And I think that most people who live in such places and do are complete idiots.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
While we're bitching about energy prices, does anyone recall the Energy Bust? After the price jumps in the 70's we began reducing our consumtion and prices tumbled. All those folks that moved from the Midwest to Texas for jobs, moved back home. Check out Urban Cowboy at the video store sometime! Enron was not the first disaster to create see-through buildings in downtown Houston. People closed escrows on new houses elsewhere then abandoned their houses in the oil patch.

You've got market economics playing live on the corner at your local gas station. Hope you enjoy the show!

Just because it sucked then, doesn't mean that it doesn't suck now. Gas prices are way to fucking high and they need to go back down again. Maybe consumerism or ethanol will sweep down and save us, but it still sucks for now and as long as life sucks, bitching will happen.

Before you ask, I'm 24 and remember absolutely nothing from the 70s.

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
http://taxprof.typepad.com

With BP, Exxon-Mobil, and Shell reporting record profits, the Tax Foundation reminds us in its latest Fiscal Fact that the biggest beneficiaries of gasoline sales are federal and state governments, not the oil industry:

High gas prices and strong oil company earnings have generated a rash of new tax proposals in recent months.

Some lawmakers have called for new “windfall profits” taxes—similar to the one signed into federal law in 1980 by President Jimmy Carter—that would tax the profits of major oil companies at a rate of 50%.

Meanwhile, many commentators have voiced support for the idea of increasing gas taxes to keep the price of gasoline at post-Katrina highs, thereby reducing gas consumption.

However, often ignored in this debate is the fact that oil industry profits are highly cyclical, making them just as prone to “busts” as to “booms.”
    Additionally, tax collections on the production and import of gasoline by state and federal governments are already near historic highs. In fact, in recent decades governments have collected far more revenue from gasoline taxes than the largest U.S. oil companies have collectively earned in domestic profits....

[F]ederal and state taxes on gasoline production and imports have been climbing steadily since the late 1970s
    and now total roughly $58.4 billion. Due in part to substantial hikes in the federal gasoline excise tax in 1983, 1990, and 1993, annual tax revenues have continued to grow. Since 1977, governments collected more than $1.34 trillion, after adjusting for inflation, in gasoline tax revenues—more than twice the amount of domestic profits earned by major U.S. oil companies during the same period:

GRAPH, showing annual government taxes on oil, -vs- private oil corporate profits

So that would make U.S. private oil industry profits somewhere in excess of 600 billion since 1977 ?

and

According to Fortune magazine, Exxon's earnings for last year give it the highest earnings of any U.S. corporation in history. Larger profits than the next four largest U.S. Fortune 500 corporations combined.

( $339.9 billion in revenue, and profits of $36.1 billion for the year )

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Killconey said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:

Just because it sucked then, doesn't mean that it doesn't suck now. Gas prices are way to fucking high and they need to go back down again. Maybe consumerism or ethanol will sweep down and save us, but it still sucks for now and as long as life sucks, bitching will happen.

I meant no offense, Killcony. I know it sucks. In the earlier crisies we even had to wait in line to buy gas and that REALLY sucked. My point was that markets will prevail. Consumers will reduce their consumption and the price will fall. It won't happen overnight but that's the way market economics works. You guys, like we before you, will buy smaller cars. Then in 20 or 30 years you'll forget why you're driving a Prius and move up to some cruise ship sized vehicle and the whole process will repeat itself. The good news is I won't be around to say 'I told you so!'.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
http://taxprof.typepad.com

[LIST]With BP, Exxon-Mobil, and Shell reporting record profits, the Tax Foundation reminds us in its latest Fiscal Fact that the biggest beneficiaries of gasoline sales are federal and state governments, not the oil industry:

High gas prices and strong oil company earnings have generated a rash of new tax proposals in recent months.

I pretty much agree with your post, Dave. Even though I'm a liberal, pinko. commie, fag I've got no problem with people making a buck!

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060418/ap_on_bi_ge/oil_prices
Quote:

Oil Prices Settle Above $71 a Barrel
By BRAD FOSS, AP Business Writer

WASHINGTON -
Oil prices settled at a new high above $71 a barrel Tuesday as supply threats around the world overshadowed a new report from OPEC forecasting weakening global demand.

There was no fresh catalyst for Tuesday's buying, but analysts said the market psychology would likely remain bullish until there is some resolution to a variety of geopolitical uncertainties, particularly the West's nuclear dispute with Iran and output disruptions in Nigeria.

Global Insight oil analyst Kevin Lindemer said the slowing consumption growth and swelling inventories of crude oil in the United States would typically help pull down prices, but "all of that is getting swamped right now by Iran and Nigeria."

Light, sweet crude for May delivery on the New York Mercantile Exchange rose as high as $71.60 a barrel, surpassing the previous intraday record of $70.85 set Aug. 30. Oil settled at $71.35, an increase of 95 cents from Monday's record closing price.

With gasoline prices averaging $2.79 a gallon, U.S. motorists are shelling out $212 million per day more than a year ago, and President Bush said Tuesday he was "concerned" about the impact this was having on American families and small businesses.

Many economists believe the impact of $70 oil on the country's financial engine will not be as drastic as it was last August in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The argument is that consumers have gotten accustomed to prices at today's levels because they have moved up gradually and that it will take a sharp and sustained leap in energy prices before there are any serious economic ramifications.

"We will feel real pain at the pump before this market tops out," said James Cordier, president of Liberty Trading in Tampa, Fla. Cordier predicted gasoline prices could rise as high as $3.50 a gallon in some parts of the country this summer.

So far, demand for gasoline continues to rise, albeit at a slower pace than a year ago, according to Energy Department data.

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries on Tuesday revised its demand-growth forecast for 2006 to 1.42 million barrels a day, down from 1.46 million barrels per day in the previous report. The cartel estimates that global crude-oil demand will be slightly above 84.5 million barrels per day — about half a million barrels per day lower than the current Wall Street consensus.

OPEC expressed particular concern about the impact rising interest rates would have on consumer spending in the U.S., where gasoline demand grew at a slower rate in the first quarter and could "carry over into the second half of the year."

Oil prices are now 42 percent higher than last year. But with global crude oil production only barely keeping up with demand, leaving a slim margin for error if there is a prolonged supply interruption, experts say prices are likely to climb further.

Traders are anxious that U.S.-led efforts to stop Iran, OPEC's second-largest member, from pursuing a suspected nuclear weapons program could lead to a disruption in Persian Gulf supplies. On Tuesday, Russia maintained its opposition to sanctions against Iran, while President Bush said he would continue to focus on diplomacy but that "all options are on the table" to prevent Iran from developing atomic weapons.

In Nigeria, militant attacks have led Royal Dutch Shell PLC to shut large amounts of production. Platts estimates Nigeria's output fell by 220,000 barrels per day in March, compared with February.

Also underpinning high oil prices is booming demand in emerging economies such as China and India.

"The market sentiment now is much more nervous," said Tetsu Emori, chief commodities strategist at Mitsui Bussan Futures in Tokyo. "Things haven't changed so much, but as we approach the summer driving season we'll need more crude to make gasoline and we know also that U.S. gasoline production has its limitations because of the tight refining capacity."

Sen. Charles Schumer (news, bio, voting record), D-N.Y., implored the Federal Trade Commission on Tuesday to "rigorously monitor" the U.S. refining industry to make sure companies were producing as much gasoline as they could and "not manipulating the amount of product flowing to the market."

In London, Brent crude for June delivery at the ICE Futures exchange also hit an all-time high of $72.64 a barrel, before easing back to settle at $72.51, an increase of $1.05 and a record close.

Gasoline futures Tuesday rose 5.42 cents to close at $2.2239 a gallon while heating oil futures gained 2.79 cents to settle at $2.0508 a gallon. Natural gas futures rose 43.1 cents to settle at $8.008 per 1,000 cubic feet.

___

AP Business Writer Jane Wardell in London contributed to this report.

Ill Mac
300+ posts
Ill Mac
300+ posts
Quote:

Killconey said:

Its funny you should mention Ethanol.

It's said that the price increase is not related to terrorism or refinery shut downs, etc.

Its actually due to the new emission requirements. A lot of the additives that are currently used in gasoline are being replaced with ethanol, and the processes to create and transport ethanol are not developed.

In theory, as we get better at making ehanol, the prices should at least stablize. Maybe drop.

But as Netou said....it'll hit $3.60 first.

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/mar2006/bw20060329_074307.htm?chan=autos_autos+index+page_ news

Just saying.

And sorry if this is a re-post.

"to ill mac - not unlike bbvl, your appreciation for naked or near-naked hot wimmins astounds me. if i ever provide an incomplete hot girl of the week review, you're always there to step up to the plate, and provide my needy fans with the appropriate boob and/or butt. i could not be more proud of you."

-Gob (At 10,000 posts)
-----------
Tony Stark:
Cool Exec.
Heart of Steel.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Illegal Machine said:
It's said that the price increase is not related to terrorism or refinery shut downs, etc.

Its actually due to the new emission requirements. A lot of the additives that are currently used in gasoline are being replaced with ethanol, and the processes to create and transport ethanol are not developed.

Gasoline Shortages Reported on East Coast

Some gasoline distribution terminals from Virginia to Massachusetts are seeing shortages as the industry phases out a water-polluting additive, the U.S. Energy Department said on Thursday.

The Energy Department has reported shortages at terminals near Richmond, Virginia, as well as the Tidewater area near Chesapeake Bay and Virginia Beach which distribute gasoline to service stations.

Northern Virginia, Baltimore and Boston are also seeing shortages, the department's Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability said.

The Baltimore-Washington, D.C. area has some of the highest retail gasoline prices in the country, with pump prices above $3 a gallon at many stations for regular unleaded fuel.

The shortages are not because refiners are not making enough gasoline, or because of a recent rupture on the key Plantation Pipeline that carries supplies from the Gulf Coast to the East Coast, industry officials said.

Rather, the oil industry is rapidly eliminating a gasoline additive called MTBE, banned in several states for polluting ground water, and replacing it with ethanol, a renewable fuel that can't be shipped by pipeline because it absorbs water.

Because ethanol is a solvent, it will strip corrosion and impurities that build up inside gasoline storage tanks, allowing them to mingle with gasoline supplies,

That means terminal operators must drain giant tanks that hold gasoline stocks and scrub out the impurities before they can be refilled with ethanol-enriched gasoline.

Ill Mac
300+ posts
Ill Mac
300+ posts
I'm not hearing a lot about this on the news, are you guys? I mean, it makes sence. Ethanol prices are rising and MTBE prices are falling.

See, everything is going to be ok in a couple of months....until prices go up again!

-Gob (At 10,000 posts)
-----------
Tony Stark:
Cool Exec.
Heart of Steel.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Oil Rises to a Record $75.35 on concern about Iran and Nigeria

April 21 (Bloomberg) -- Crude oil rose to a record $75.35 a barrel in New York on concern that shipments from Iran and Nigeria will be disrupted as the U.S. increases output of gasoline for the summer driving season.

The dispute over Iran's nuclear program has intensified, increasing the chances of sanctions against the world's fourth- biggest oil producer. Rebel attacks in Nigeria have shut about 20 percent of output in Africa's biggest oil producer. Oil was pulled lower in early trading on speculation that refiners will increase output because of improved profit margins.

``Any kind of supply disruption will send us up toward $100,'' said Peter Schiff, chief executive officer of Darien, Connecticut-based brokerage Euro Pacific Capital, whose clients have about $400 million in accounts at the firm. ``Even without a hiccup we will see prices rise because of the supply-demand imbalances.''

Crude oil for June delivery rose $1.48, or 2 percent, to $75.17 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange, the highest close since trading began in 1983. Futures touched $75.35 a barrel, an intraday record. The May contract, which expired yesterday, reached records the last three days. Prices are 39 percent higher than a year ago.

``The suppliers of the world are having great difficulty keeping up with demand,'' Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman said at a conference in Washington. ``This is a tax, if you will, on economic activity. This is a horrific burden on American families.''

U.S. stocks declined as oil prices climbed this afternoon. The jump in energy prices may bolster inflation, increasing the likelihood that the Federal Reserve Bank will boost its benchmark interest rate.

``If crude oil remains at this level or moves higher the moderate slowing of the economy could'' intensify, said Jason Schenker, an economist at Wachovia Corp. in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Inflation Adjusted Prices

Oil prices more than doubled in 1979 after a revolution in Iran slashed the nation's oil exports. By February 1981 U.S. refiners were paying an average $39 a barrel for imported oil, according to Energy Department figures, or $86.88 in 2006 dollars.

``This is similar to the 1970s when there was a permanent readjustment in oil prices,'' Schiff said.

Iran has defied the United Nations by enriching enough uranium to fuel a nuclear reactor. Russia yesterday rejected a call from the U.S. to halt construction of a nuclear plant in Iran to put pressure on the Persian Gulf country to stop its nuclear enrichment program. The plant should be completed by the end of this year.

Can't Halt Program

``The U.S. is incapable of doing anything to stop Iran's nuclear program,'' said Mordechai Abir, director of energy research at Burnham Securities Inc. in New York. ``The U.S. is not going to attack Iran so there is no reason for the Iranians to use their oil weapon. This crisis is being driven by words and has added $10 to $15 to the cost of oil.''

Concern that Iran might reduce shipments if sanctions are imposed has helped bolster prices 23 percent this year.

Oil prices would soar to $100 a barrel if the U.S. attacks Iran in a dispute over the country's nuclear program, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said yesterday.

``An invasion of Iran would end what little stability exists in the Middle East,'' Chavez told reporters in Brazil in remarks broadcast by the state television channel. ``The price of oil could reach $100.''

Brent crude oil for June settlement rose $1.39, or 1.9 percent, to $74.57 a barrel on the London-based ICE Futures exchange, the highest close since the contract began trading in 1988. Futures touched $74.79 a barrel, an intraday record.

Nigerian Oil

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta rejected a plan announced by the Nigerian government to increase development in the Niger River delta. The group threatened new attacks on oil companies this week. About 500,000 barrels a day of Nigeria's output remains shut, Oil Minister Edmund Daukoru said on April 18.

``The Nigerian government doesn't have the ability to control the region and will have to give the rebels what they want if the oil is to come back,'' Abir said. ``It doesn't look like we will be seeing this highly sought-after oil anytime soon.''

Nigerian oil is prized by refiners because of the amount of gasoline it yields.

Prices have also surged on speculation that U.S. gasoline stockpiles will be insufficient when consumption accelerates in the summer months. Gasoline stockpiles plunged 5.4 million barrels last week, the seventh-straight weekly decline, the Energy Department reported on April 19.

G-man, remember what I said about political stability and commodity prices in Africa in another thread?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yes, to which I replied by asking if that doesn't then mean you're justifying war for oil.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Gas is now $3.10 a gallon in Pa...and it is also $3.03., $2.99, and $2.95...What is it where everyone else lives? I have heard it's higher in the south... And yes, I am aware of some Gas stations closing down, too...

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
It just went down to $2.79 here this morning. I'm gonna fill up anyway.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Yes, to which I replied by asking if that doesn't then mean you're justifying war for oil.

I never advocated any war. My position has consistently been that a military intervention would be a foolish undertaking (remember the too big map of Sudan?). The post you refer to was in support of my Congresswoman's call for a diplomatic initiative in Africa.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
American Spectator

The federal gas tax was first imposed in 1932. It was only 1 cent per gallon, and it was supposed to be temporary. It wasn't. From 1959 to 1981 it stayed at 4 cents a gallon. But in 1982 the federal government got hot for mass transit. Since then the federal gas tax has risen from 4 cents a gallon to 18.4 cents, or 360 percent, the Tax Foundation has noted.

According to the Energy Information Agency, almost a quarter of the price of a gallon of gas goes to taxes. Refining costs and oil company profits combined make up less than 20 percent. (Those percentages will be slightly smaller now, with prices having risen so fast in the past month.)

But the EIA does not include some local taxes in that count. The Tax Foundation and the American Petroleum Institute found last fall that taxes accounted for 45.9 cents of the cost of each gallon of gas. That's a United States average, the total differs state to state. It ranged from 26.4 cents in Alaska to 60 cents in California.

Just three years ago, Congress was considering raising the federal gasoline tax from 18.4 cents a gallon to 24.4 cents. Two years ago, Rep. Don Young, R-Alaska, proposed raising the gas tax by 5.45 cents a gallon to 23.85 cents. He wanted more money for pork. Now, of course, such a proposal would be political suicide.

the G-man #487274 2006-04-30 1:53 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:
Our piece of shit representatives in Washington DC are trying to find solutions to the high gas prices. Both Republicans and Democrats are full of shit and assholes.

I bet we could come up with some solutions that will be effective and more productive without all the beauracratic bullshit. Please try to keep this non partisan since both parties are equally to blame.

Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Considering that Democrats are the miniority party how are they equally to blame? (asking in a non partisan way )

the Wall St Journal

In fact, [the] Democrats in the Senate--the very crowd shouting the loudest about "obscene" gas prices--have voted uniformly for nearly 20 years against allowing most domestic oil production. They have vetoed opening even a tiny portion of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska to oil and gas production. If there is as much oil as the U.S. Geological Survey estimates, this would increase America's proven domestic oil reserves by about 50%.

They have also voted against producing oil from the Outer Continental Shelf, where there are more supplies by some estimates than in Saudi Arabia. Environmental objections seem baseless given that even the high winds and waves of Hurricane Katrina didn't cause oil spills in the Gulf of Mexico.

In the 1970s the environmentalists and their followers in Congress even protested building the Alaska pipeline, which today supplies nearly one million barrels of oil a day. If they've discovered some new law of economics in which a fall in output with rising demand can cause a reduction in price, we'd love to hear it.

The dirty little secret about oil politics is that today's high gas price is precisely the policy result that ...liberals have long desired. High prices have been the prod that the left has favored to persuade Americans to abandon their SUVs and minivans, use mass transit, turn the thermostat down, produce less consumer goods and services, and stop emitting those satanic greenhouse gases.

Scan the Web sites of the major environmental groups and you will find long tracts on the evils of fossil fuels and how wonderful it would be if only selfish Americans were more like the enlightened and eco-friendly Europeans. You will find plenty of articles with titles such as: "More Taxes Please: Why the Price of Gas Is too Low."

However, you can be sure you won't hear that from Democrats or Northeastern Republicans on Capitol Hill--at least not in public. Far from it. They're suddenly all for cutting gasoline prices, just as long as that doesn't require producing a single additional barrel of oil.

So how do the sages on Capitol Hill propose to reduce gas prices? They want to slap a profits tax on Big Oil because of alleged price gouging. Here we have another head-scratcher that seems to defy even junior-high-school economics. Usually when you tax something, like tobacco, you get less of it. But somehow a tax on oil will magically lead to more oil.

As a Harvard study has shown, when the U.S. imposed a windfall profits tax in 1980, prices rose to an inflation-adjusted range even higher than today, and domestic production fell. As for claims of "gouging," the price of gasoline at the pump in the U.S. has risen 25% less than the rise in the global price of crude oil since 2003, according to Wall Street economist Michael Darda.

We've also heard proposals to force the oil companies to cut the pay of their CEOs to $500,000. That's about what Kobe Bryant makes for a handful of basketball games, but even if the salaries were chopped to this level--and all of the savings passed on to consumers--the gas price would fall by at most one-tenth of a penny. In any case, CEO pay is an issue to be resolved by shareholders, not Congress.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I hate to burst your bubble g-man but taxes dont really have alot to do with the price of gas. i live on the border of ohio/ky, and close to indiana, gas costs roughly the same withing 2 or 3 cents, ohios tax is 24 cents p gallaon,ky 16, indiana 18, why are pump prices the same? not taxes. the oil companies have found the ceiling they can charge and do, if it wasnt gouging i could get gas 8 cents cheaper a gallon in ky.

if you took away the federal tax thye would still find the ceiling people were willing to pay and charge that.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
I hate to burst your bubble g-man but taxes dont really have alot to do with the price of gas. i live on the border of ohio/ky, and close to indiana, gas costs roughly the same withing 2 or 3 cents, ohios tax is 24 cents p gallaon,ky 16, indiana 18, why are pump prices the same? not taxes. the oil companies have found the ceiling they can charge and do, if it wasnt gouging i could get gas 8 cents cheaper a gallon in ky.

if you took away the federal tax thye would still find the ceiling people were willing to pay and charge that.

That's because you do live near a boarder and they're going to charge the market price. The nationwide average profit per gallon of gassoline is 9 cents. The federal tax per gallon is 50 cents. Also local stations decide thier own prices. The oil companies dont set prices for individual stations, so that doesnt rule out gouging on a case by case basis.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
well thats not true, my sons mother lives in the middle of the state and when we drop him off there it is the same. indianapolis has the same as well on the occassions we go there. i see the border prices on a daily basis, but weekly and monthly i travel farther into the states and it is the same.

but you proved my point, theyll charge what the market will let them which is gougung, so thanks for the backup.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
also you are talking about local stations gouging, my point is that the big oil companies charge the locals not based on cost but what they can get by with. im sure the local stations are only making 9 cents a gallon. my point is obviously the oil company is charging the local the difference in state and local tax in the 3 states.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard