Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Gas is about $2.10 in the Cleveland area and that's still too much. The cap on gas should be about $1.25 - $1.50. Enough to still feel it, especially in large vehicles, so you'd want to conserve and curtail unneccessary driving yet, not so much to severely penalize those with lower incomes or those that have no choice but to drive.

I've no credible suggestions on how to make this happen but, it's my .02.

Oderint, dum metuant.

You are a god damned idiot, you know that? You ought to be smacked upside your dumb-fuck head, even after all these years. Shame on you!
-USCHI showin' some love

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Gas Station Who Gave Discounts to Elderly Ordered to Raise Prices

A service station that offered discounted gas to senior citizens and people supporting youth sports has been ordered by the state to raise its prices.

Center City BP owner Raj Bhandari has been offering senior citizens a 2 cent per gallon price break and discount cards that let sports boosters pay 3 cents less per gallon. But the state Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection says those deals violate Wisconsin's Unfair Sales Act, which requires stations to sell gas for about 9.2 percent more than the wholesale price.

Bhandari said he received a letter from the state auditor last month saying the state would sue him if he did not raise his prices. The state could penalize him for each discounted gallon he sold, with the fine determined by a judge.

the G-man #941144 2008-04-24 2:00 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Taxes, including federal and local, account for about 31 percent of the total price of gas in the United States. Federal excise taxes are 18.4 cents per gallon, and state excise taxes average 20 cents per gallon. There may also be some additional state sales taxes, as well as local and city taxes. In Europe, gas prices are far higher than in America because taxes on gas are much higher. For example, gas prices in England have risen as high as $6 per gallon, with 78 percent of that going to taxes.

Gas prices also vary from state to state for several reasons. Taxes are probably the biggest factor in the different prices around the country.

John McCain wants a federal gas tax holiday from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Hillary's amenable to the idea; Obama calls it a "bad idea."

the G-man #941160 2008-04-24 4:50 PM
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
of course he does.

so what does mr. obama recommend be done about elevating gas prices? tax the oil companies more? federal gas subsidy? put a ceiling on gas prices? does he have a plan or recommendation?

it's all fairly moot, anyway. the government always gets their money back from us. take away one tax, they'll raise others. there's only one real solution for this:

drilling.

Stupid Doog #941162 2008-04-24 5:04 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog
what does mr. obama recommend be done about elevating gas prices? tax the oil companies more?

Both Obama and Clinton have floated the idea of raising taxes on gas and/or on oil companies, despite the fact that any such tax would be passed on to the consumer.

the G-man #941191 2008-04-24 7:26 PM
fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
Economical analysts here in Europe state that the reason for the price of oil being so high at the moment is the continued devaluation of the US dollar.

A couple of months ago the dollar was worth some 7-8 danish kr. today it's around 4 DKK and 50 oere.

That ain't a lot, but it's okay, it only makes upgrading my computer that much cheaper.

Racks be to MisterJLA
25+ posts
25+ posts
Who's to blame? India, who else? Those damn red skins think just cause they are the 3rd largest democracy in the world they have the right to expand. Only AMERICA, by the grace of god, has the right to expand at the expense of others.

Where do those savages get off saying they were here first anyway? "Native" negro pah-lease.

Uschi #945678 2008-05-21 2:42 AM
25+ posts
25+ posts
In general - I blame those bleeding heart bastards who want to develop hybrid cars. Those dipshits keep making the general population increase the oil futures because they keep saying we're running out of oil.

KITT #945722 2008-05-21 4:32 AM
400+ posts
400+ posts
there is no 'blame' to be placed. aside from blaming the govt for adding taxes onto gas but that's another topic. oil suppliers are a business. as such they should be allowed to set the price for their product.

State Is Murder.
655321 #945798 2008-05-21 2:19 PM
25+ posts
25+ posts
And if Bush just put 10 billion barrels of oil from the reserve into the market, prices "should" drop significantly. But he had to pay for Jenna's wedding somehow, didn't he?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: KITT
And if Bush just put 10 billion barrels of oil from the reserve into the market....

Point of informaton, the entire strategic oil reserve is only, at maximum, one billion barrels. Accordingly, it would be impossible for any president to follow your suggestion.

Nobody saw me do it...
few posts
Nobody saw me do it...
few posts
whatever everyone knows there's tankers lined up in alaska but halliburton is holding them to keep prices artificially inflated.

25+ posts
25+ posts
Not to mention the tapped, but unused, oil reserves just sitting out there in the ocean.

25+ posts
25+ posts
Well don't blame me for that, god damnit, I'd be more then happy to go to war with Canada and those Russkies for the oil in the North Pole but those weak ass liberals don't want to go into a 3rd war. Pussies.

KITT #945857 2008-05-21 3:55 PM
400+ posts
400+ posts
And if Bush just put 10 billion barrels of oil from the reserve into the market, prices "should" drop significantly. But he had to pay for Jenna's wedding somehow, didn't he?
omg, do you really believe that will solve anything? according to CIA World Fact Book, we have about 21billion
barrels proved reserves on hand.

http://www.fossil.energy.gov/programs/reserves/spr/spr-facts.html
 Quote:
Oil can be pumped from the Reserve at a maximum rate of 4.4 million barrels per day for up to 90 days, then the drawdown rate begins to decline as storage caverns are emptied. At 1 million barrels per day, the Reserve can release oil into the market continuously for nearly a year-and-a-half.

we consume 9,253,000 barrels/day (388.6 million gallons/day) gasoline per day.

so you think that releasing, what are essentially emergency reserves, that will last us about 3wks is going to have any measurable affect on the economy?

I say tough shit. people are and should just have to scale back their consumption to keep pace with rising prices. overindulgence, greed and laziness made their bed, now they have to lie in it. by that i mean the american populace.

State Is Murder.
655321 #945873 2008-05-21 4:04 PM
25+ posts
25+ posts
 Originally Posted By: 655321
omg, do you really believe that will solve anything? according to CIA World Fact Book, we have about 21billion

Quote:
Oil can be pumped from the Reserve at a maximum rate of 4.4 million barrels per day for up to 90 days, then the drawdown rate begins to decline as storage caverns are emptied. At 1 million barrels per day, the Reserve can release oil into the market continuously for nearly a year-and-a-half.

so you think that releasing, what are essentially emergency reserves, that will last us about 3wks is going to have any measurable affect on the economy?

I say tough shit. people are and should just have to scale back their consumption to keep pace with rising prices. overindulgence, greed and laziness made their bed, now they have to lie in it. by that i mean the american populace.

So much for G-man's point of information about one billion barrels.

David Canary #945882 2008-05-21 4:19 PM
25+ posts
25+ posts
My gas is nobodies business. Especially not the peons I rule over.

David Canary #945893 2008-05-21 4:40 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: David Canary

Quote:

Yeah, G-man was totally wrong about having one billion barrels in the strategic oil reserves. We only have about 703 million and we don't even have the capacity for one billion.

Quote:
# Highest inventory - On April 2, 2008, the SPR inventory exceeded 700 million barrels, the highest level ever previously held. The former record was reached in late August 2005, just days before Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast, causing the SPR to conduct emergency releases. Repayment of the Katrina loans and resumption of the RIK program (in 2007) has restored the inventory to its former level and beyond.
# Current storage capacity - 727 million barrels

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #945898 2008-05-21 4:42 PM
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I wonder if Whomod's Insurgency friend (or it could be Whomod himself; I neither know nor care) actually believed that "21 billion" nonsense or if he was actually trying to make a parody out of himself.

Pariah #945915 2008-05-21 5:10 PM
25+ posts
25+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
I wonder if Whomod's Insurgency friend (or it could be Whomod himself; I neither know nor care) actually believed that "21 billion" nonsense or if he was actually trying to make a parody out of himself.

Nonsense? I'm just going off what's in the link. You have info about that link you wanna share? Or are you yet another dellusional asshole on this board?

thedoctor #945916 2008-05-21 5:11 PM
25+ posts
25+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

Quote:

Yeah, G-man was totally wrong about having one billion barrels in the strategic oil reserves. We only have about 703 million and we don't even have the capacity for one billion.

Quote:
# Highest inventory - On April 2, 2008, the SPR inventory exceeded 700 million barrels, the highest level ever previously held. The former record was reached in late August 2005, just days before Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast, causing the SPR to conduct emergency releases. Repayment of the Katrina loans and resumption of the RIK program (in 2007) has restored the inventory to its former level and beyond.

Who's to say this link is anymore valid then the one posted before?

Pariah #945926 2008-05-21 5:17 PM
400+ posts
400+ posts
umm, you do realize that there are several locations which can hold reserves, right? i mean, if you don't want to take what the CIA says, fine by me. frankly i was disappointed to know there might be 21billion on hand. actually, i'd rather there was only 700million or so barrels as that paints an even worse picture of the situation we are in. which is good, to my view. the sooner the economy collapses, the better. going by the daily consumption rate, we'll blow through the reserves in less than 2 days.

Last edited by 655321; 2008-05-21 5:19 PM.

State Is Murder.
David Canary #945956 2008-05-21 5:46 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Quote:

Point of clarification: please re-read my earlier post. The one billion figure is the maximum contemplated. It is not the amount currently stored, or even the amount we currently have the capacity to store. It is simply the current maximum allowed by law.

In either event, it remains the case that the SOR is far too small to follow the course of action I was responding to.

David Canary #945975 2008-05-21 5:55 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Quote:

Quote:

Who's to say this link is anymore valid then the one posted before?

I have no idea what the other link is using as it's mode of collecting information. It seems it may be based on capped oil wells and their estimated capacity rather than actual barrels of oil held in the strategic reserve as the number I've shown indicates as it's actually from the gov. agency responsible for such counts. It's also closer to the number given in recent AP articles.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #945995 2008-05-21 6:06 PM
400+ posts
400+ posts
I have no idea what the other link is using as it's mode of collecting information. It seems it may be based on capped oil wells and their estimated capacity rather than actual barrels of oil held in the strategic reserve as the number I've shown indicates as it's actually from the gov. agency responsible for such counts. It's also closer to the number given in recent AP articles.
yeah, the numbers given by the CIA might include what is in reserves and the various places you mentioned. if it's really as low as 700million barrels, that is barely a drop in the bucket as opposed to what we consume as a nation. i'm sure though, in time of emergency, that the govt most likely appropriates the reserves and distributes it according to what they consider necessary. i highly doubt those reserves make it into the general populace in time of emergency.

State Is Murder.
655321 #946036 2008-05-21 6:27 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Depends upon the emergency.

Quote:
* June 2006 - exchanged 750 thousand barrels of sour crude with ConocoPhillips and Citgo due to the closure for several days of the Calcasieu Ship Channel to maritime traffic. The closure resulted from the release of a mixture of storm water and oil. Action was taken to avert temporary shutdown of both refineries.
* January 2006 - exchanged 767 thousand barrels of sour crude with Total Petrochemicals USA due to closure of the Sabine Neches ship channel to deep-draft vessels after a barge accident in the channel. Action was taken to avert temporary shutdown of the refinery.
* Sep/Oct 2005- exchanged 9.8 million barrels of sweet and sour crude due to disruptions in Gulf of Mexico production and damage to terminals, pipelines and refineries caused by Hurricane Katrina.
* Sep/Nov 2004 - exchanged 5.4 milliion barrels of sweet crude due to disruptions in the Gulf of Mexico caused by Hurricane Ivan.
* Sep/Oct 2004 - exchanged 5.4 million barrels in response to physical shortages of crude oil supplies in the Gulf of Mexico following Hurricane Ivan.
* Oct 2002 - exchanged 296,000 barrels with Shell Pipeline Co. to secure Capline storage tanks in advance of Hurricane Lili.
* Sep/Oct 2000 - exchanged 30 million barrels in response to concern over low distillate levels in Northeast.
* July/August 2000 - exchanged 2.8 million barrels of crude oil for 1st-year tank storage and stocks for 2 million barrel Northeast Home Heating Oil Reserve.
* June 2000 - exchanged 500,000 barrels each with CITGO and Conoco, due to blockage of the ship channel that allowed incoming crude oil shipments to those refineries. Action taken in order to avert temporary shutdown of both refineries.
* August 1998 - exchanged 11 million barrels of lower quality Maya crude in SPR with PEMEX for 8.5 million of higher quality crude (more suitable for U.S. refineries)
* April/May 1996 - exchanged 900,000 barrels of SPR crude with ARCO to resolve company's pipeline blockage problem.

25+ posts
25+ posts
Don't worry, we'll have plenty of oil soon as we nuke everybody else. Not sure what we'll do with it since we all be dead from the radiation...but hey, as long as America's #1!

655321 #946694 2008-05-21 11:42 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
umm, you do realize that there are several locations which can hold reserves, right? i mean, if you don't want to take what the CIA says, fine by me. frankly i was disappointed to know there might be 21billion on hand. actually, i'd rather there was only 700million or so barrels as that paints an even worse picture of the situation we are in. which is good, to my view. the sooner the economy collapses, the better. going by the daily consumption rate, we'll blow through the reserves in less than 2 days.

I know you're trying to make a back-handed comeback in covering up the fact that your link is dated more than 2 years ago, but your attempt to sound anarchist just makes you look even more pathetic. Sorry.

Pariah #946709 2008-05-21 11:54 PM
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts

Pariah #947000 2008-05-22 2:29 AM
400+ posts
400+ posts

I know you're trying to make a back-handed comeback in covering up the fact that your link is dated more than 2 years ago, but your attempt to sound anarchist just makes you look even more pathetic. Sorry.
oh is that what i was attempting to do?

so are you in favor of govt intervention to fix gas prices? or are you more interested in calling names than discussing this issue?

State Is Murder.
655321 #947006 2008-05-22 2:43 AM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm more in favor of the government staying out the business of citizens private or otherwise.

Pariah #947068 2008-05-22 8:07 AM
25+ posts
25+ posts
I'm more in favor of the government staying out the business of citizens private or otherwise.

Well...I-I used to be too...but that all changed after 9/11!!!!!!

Just like national security and my underwear draw.

Pariah #947321 2008-05-22 3:37 PM
400+ posts
400+ posts
finally common ground. if that's ur view, why use 'anarchists' as a derogatory term? confusing.

State Is Murder.
655321 #947329 2008-05-22 3:42 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Probably because a lot of (though certainly not all) "anarchists" claim to want anarchy only to the extent it doesn't interfere with the prompt delivery of public services, the regulation of business and government handouts.

the G-man #947340 2008-05-22 3:46 PM
400+ posts
400+ posts
Probably because a lot of (though certainly not all) "anarchists" claim to want anarchy only to the extent it doesn't interfere with the prompt delivery of public services, the regulation of business and government handouts.
that doesn't make sense. isn't the goal of anarchists the eradication of govt? or are ppl confusing anarchists with socialists?

State Is Murder.
655321 #947354 2008-05-22 3:51 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
No. I think some socialists confuse themselves with anarchists. They listened to the Sex Pistols, thought it was "cool" and desclared themselves "anarchists," while still demanding what boils down to socialism.

the G-man #947358 2008-05-22 3:54 PM
400+ posts
400+ posts
No. I think some socialists confuse themselves with anarchists. They listened to the Sex Pistols, thought it was "cool" and desclared themselves "anarchists," while still demanding what boils down to socialism.
good point.

State Is Murder.
655321 #947441 2008-05-22 4:34 PM
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
If 655321 is, in fact, a female...looks like pariah may have himself a girlfriend. If she likes transvestite hentai, I hear wedding bells...

Oderint, dum metuant.

You are a god damned idiot, you know that? You ought to be smacked upside your dumb-fuck head, even after all these years. Shame on you!
-USCHI showin' some love

THE Bastard #947511 2008-05-22 5:07 PM
400+ posts
400+ posts
i'd rather drink bleach, kthx.

State Is Murder.
Uschi #947522 2008-05-22 5:11 PM
The Doctor is In
25+ posts
The Doctor is In
25+ posts
If you want to make money off the current gas prices, go invest in Chevron. They pay dividends to shareholders.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard