Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
rob you need to find like a pick em hack for ubb where we can all check our picks and have it do all that stuff automatically im to lazy to type all that shit.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
i dont think such a thing exists. there are voting and poll options, but that'd either just give the boards' picks (rather than personal) or require you to type more than normal, anyway.

what i do is wait for someone to post the weekly picks, then respond to that post, so that all the team-typin is already done. then i hilite the predicted winner in each row and click BOLD from the ubb code, which automatically puts the B tags around the name.

no typin!

giant picture
Rob #563696 2005-09-18 8:12 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
well i guess.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Minnesota 8
Cincinnati 37

SUPER BOWL!

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Who Dey?

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Hear that Bengal growlin' mean and angry
Hear he comes a prowlin' lean and hungry
An offensive brute
Run, pass or boot
And defensively he's rough, tough
Cincinnati Bengals
That's the team we're going to cheer to victory
Touchdown Bengals get some points upon that board
And win a game for Cincinnati

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I say you're on to something if the Bengals go in and beat a fiesty Bears team in Chicago next Sunday.

Here's why I think the Bengals can do it: The Bears do not have an offense to keep up with the Bengals. The Bengals are not making offensive mistakes (as the Lions did yesterday; as much as I think Harrington is totally cute, he's playing awfully and this may be the last year you see him in honolulu blue and silver). Kyle Orton's always been a solid QB, but I think it's too much to ask for him to try to keep with Palmer-Johnson-T.J.-Rudi et al. And the Bengals D can be just tenacious enough to keep the Bears out of the endzone and force the Bears into ditching the run. I think this game will remind a lot of people of the early 1988 Bengals, which won by outscoring teams with the pass and forcing the other team out of their game plan. The Bengal D then was just good enough to be able to take advantage of teams having to try to play catch up.

Bengals 28 Bears 19

We all wear a green carnation.
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
Quote:

Minnesota 8
Cincinnati 37

SUPER BOWL!

The Bengals? Not frickin' likely.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:
Quote:

Minnesota 8
Cincinnati 37

SUPER BOWL!

We'll see.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Kyle Orton's always been a solid QB

He has been pretty consistent in his two-game career so far, yeah.

I remain unconvinced that the Bears are a good team. Their 38 points against the Lions is pretty misleadng, considering they got two touchdowns on special teams/defensive plays. 336 yards of offense isn't tremendous. They may have ended Joey Harrington's days as a starter in Detroit, but they're still a 5-6 win team at best. The Bengals should beat them convincingly. The real tests for Cincy should come in weeks 5(on the road against Jacksonville) and 7(at home against Pittsburgh).

Barring an injury to Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, Cincy won't be going to the Super Bowl this year. However, with the way the Jets, Chargers and Ravens have looked, the Bengals look like an excellent pick for one of the Wild Card spots. If Pittsburgh's running game falters, they might even steal the division.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:

How'd the Pats do on Sunday, Oakley?

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:
Quote:

Minnesota 8
Cincinnati 37

SUPER BOWL!

They've been twice?????? I hold no high hopes for a bowl appearance, but why not?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Because Oakley said they would collapse, remember? You need to keep up here, pig.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
I've had some time to think about the Lions self destruction yesterday, and there are a lot of problems. The most obvious problem is that Joey Harrington is not getting through to this team. Roy Williams didn't stick with the called play in the endzone. Why? Why did he turn away instead of fight for the position so that he could at least swat the ball incomplete? The simple answer is he didn't want to. He didn't want to play for Harrington.

Now, had that aweful nonexistant penalty not been called on Rogers on that 41 yard pass when the score was 7-6 in the 1st, the whole game might have been different. But Harrington couldn't get the team to play for him. The offensive line won't block for him. The defense won't get the ball back for him. And, most importantly, his recievers won't run the plays for him, to be where he is supposed to throw ball.

I heard Woody talk about how Bledsoe was a quiet leader with the Pats. I remember how they wouldn't play for him. I remember how it took him getting injured, and Brady stepping in, to turn that team around. Brady is a champion. He is the best quarterback in the NFL. And he is the top leader in the NFL. Maybe when Woody leaves the Lions, and he's asked what went wrong here, he'll say the truth about Harrington.

But that's only one part of the problem. Marriuchi (I have no idea how to spell his name) doesn't have the fire this team needs from its head coach. He's too laid back. He's had three years, and he's not getting through to them. I'm starting to think the Lions need a new coach, and maybe a new staff entirely. That, and a quarterback the team will play for. A leader. Because the Lions don't have any leaders on this team. Not on offense, not on defense, and not on the sidelines.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
You make it sound like the Lions are making a conscious effort not to play for Harrington. I don't think it works like that.

The Lion's offensive line is pretty bad. That much was evident from the preseason games. At the same time, however, Joey Harrington has more than enough weapons to overcome poor blocking. I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt(he seems like a nice kid and he was a winner in college), but if he can't put up points with the amount of talent he has at the skill positions...well, something's wrong.

P.S-I'd take Manning over Brady. Both great quarterbacks, though.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
You make it sound like the Lions are making a conscious effort not to play for Harrington. I don't think it works like that.

The Lion's offensive line is pretty bad. That much was evident from the preseason games. At the same time, however, Joey Harrington has more than enough weapons to overcome poor blocking. I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt(he seems like a nice kid and he was a winner in college

Let's also not forget that he's darned cute.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Pig Iron said:
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:
Quote:

Minnesota 8
Cincinnati 37

SUPER BOWL!

They've been twice?????? I hold no high hopes for a bowl appearance, but why not?

I'm not even remotely thinking Super Bowl for the Stripes. Walk before you run.

9, 10, 11 wins...yes, that's what I'm thinking is doable. If it gets them into the playoffs in the AFC, great. If not, well, the AFC is damned tough right now.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:

I don't know about conscious. But there is no second effort by anyone out there. And that says a lot about something. Some people say it's the quarterback, some say it's the coach. I only know what happened in New England. The same team that didn't play for Bledsoe won it all for Brady.

Quote:

Animalman said:
The Lion's offensive line is pretty bad. That much was evident from the preseason games. At the same time, however, Joey Harrington has more than enough weapons to overcome poor blocking. I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt(he seems like a nice kid and he was a winner in college), but if he can't put up points with the amount of talent he has at the skill positions...well, something's wrong.

Harrington played an aweful game, there is no question about it. Most of his passes were short. He unloaded the ball too quickly too many times. He unloaded the ball for interceptions when he should have taken the sack. Simply put, he played like crap, and it showed. But when he did get it right, his recievers didn't put in the extra effort to make the plays. That showed too.

The offensive line hasn't jelled, and that is killing Harrington, who is a lousy scrambler, not that he should have scramble on every play. Still, I think the offensive line, like his recievers, is lacking faith in his ability to lead this team. I think it's very evident, and has been for some time. I watched Harrington very closely this last game. I have a regular discussion with a friend who is a Pats fan (he's from Boston). He keeps telling me that the difference between Harrington and Brady is that Brady waits to make the play. Brady will take the hit to make the play. Brady is not afraid to make the play. Harrington, on the other hand, just unloads the ball, often too soon, and it costs him. How many times does he just toss it up in one of those wabbly short three yard passes to Jones or someone else right there, only to watch the guy get taken down just after he himself has been hit. It happens too much. It shouldn't happen at all.

The fact is, Harrington pannicks under pressure. How can a team respect that?

There is another problem with this team. Mooch wants to coach the west coast offense. The problem is, this team isn't built for it. This team is built to send the ball down field on long passes. It's not built to run. Maybe if the offensive line knew that it only had to make a wall and not a hole, maybe then they would keep the pressure off and allow Harrington to hit his recievers thirty yards down the field. The system being coached doesn't fit the players on the team. That also shows.

My opinion? For the next game bench Harrington and see if the rookie can play Mooch's system any better. If not, fire Mooch, and bring in someone who can inspire this team and coach to play the style of football it was drafted to play. Enough is enough already.

Quote:

Animalman said:
P.S-I'd take Manning over Brady. Both great quarterbacks, though.

Did you see that playoff game last year between New England and Indianapolis? That wasn't a game, that was a massacre. It was clear that the Colts' defense wasn't good enough. But how do you explain Manning's performance? He's the best regular season quarterback of all time, but he has yet to show that something special that makes Brady a champion.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

Rob #563712 2005-09-20 3:34 PM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Man, another .500 weekend for me. 8-8

Damn those Jets and Chargers! And the 'Skins totally killed me last night...

And the Dolphins! Fuck the Fins!

Last edited by Jim Jackson; 2005-09-20 3:44 PM.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
And the Dolphins! Fuck the Fins!

Troy McClure?

RDCW Profile

I Am Groot
5000+ posts
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:

Better than the Bengals will do NEXT Sunday,that's for sure.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
WHOA!

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:
Quote:

Animalman said:
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:

I like our chances. We go to the Bears in Chicago.

You have the Steelers. In Pittsburgh.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

PenWing said:
I don't know about conscious. But there is no second effort by anyone out there. And that says a lot about something. Some people say it's the quarterback, some say it's the coach. I only know what happened in New England. The same team that didn't play for Bledsoe won it all for Brady.

Whoah, who said New England didn't play for Bledsoe? Bledsoe didn't lose his job because his team quit on him. He lost it because he got hurt and Brady took over.

Drew Bledsoe went to three Pro-Bowls as a Patriot, took the team team to a Super Bowl in '96, and still owns most of the franchise passing record. Also, most people forget that it was Bledsoe that came in during the fourth quarter of the AFC Championship game against Pittsburgh(after Brady got hurt) in 2001 and engineered the game-winning drive. Without Bledsoe, Brady doesn't get that first ring. So, I'm definitely not seeing why or how his team would quit on him.

Quote:

There is another problem with this team. Mooch wants to coach the west coast offense. The problem is, this team isn't built for it. This team is built to send the ball down field on long passes. It's not built to run. Maybe if the offensive line knew that it only had to make a wall and not a hole, maybe then they would keep the pressure off and allow Harrington to hit his recievers thirty yards down the field. The system being coached doesn't fit the players on the team. That also shows.

The Lions have an excellent running back(Jones), one of the top pass-catching tight ends in football(Pollard), and tall, matchup receivers(Williams, Rogers, Williams). From a skill position standpoint, they absolutely have the parts to run a west-coast offense.

They can throw the ball downfield, too. It's not like Bill Walsh's 49er teams never threw deep passes.

Quote:

My opinion? For the next game bench Harrington and see if the rookie can play Mooch's system any better. If not, fire Mooch, and bring in someone who can inspire this team and coach to play the style of football it was drafted to play. Enough is enough already.

I don't think it's going to be any better with Dan Orlovsky in there, especially since Orlovsky is more of a classic tall, immobile dropback QB. It may just be "wait for Jeff Garcia to get healthy" time in Detroit.

And if that fails, it'll be "pray for Matt Leinart" time.

Quote:

But how do you explain Manning's performance?

Poor weather conditions, a great opposing defense and an even better opposing coach.

It wasn't Brady's best game, either. He had the same number of passing yards as Corey Dillon had rushing yards(144).

Quote:

He's the best regular season quarterback of all time

He's a pretty good postseason QB, too. In the three games he's played against teams other than New England the last two years, he's completed 71 of 89 passes(that's an 80% completion rate) for 1138 yards and 12 TD's(or 379 yards and 4 TD's per game), with only 1 interception.

Quote:

but he has yet to show that something special that makes Brady a champion.

You'd have a hard time convincing me that if it had been Manning wearing a Patriots uniform these last four years he wouldn't have three rings.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:

Of course, if the Bengals were coached by a white guy you'd be all over that bandwagon.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
I'm just facing the reality that the Lions are done for the season. There is so much that has to happen for this team to get anywhere. I doubt Garcia is the answer, but if the Lions are at or below .500 when he can return to the field, I say start him and see what happens. Still, Garcia is a short term solution. That doesn't mean I still won't pick the Lions to win games, they beat Green Bay in the opening game, and had they put in at least that much effort, the loss to the Bears would have been respectable.

RDCW Profile

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
You'd have a hard time convincing me that if it had been Manning wearing a Patriots uniform these last four years he wouldn't have three rings.

Ditto.

And Ani's right when he says that Bledsoe was instrumental in the Pats getting that first ring. I would hope Drew wears it proudly because he was key in taking over for a hurt Brady in Pittsburgh.

Also, Brady and Bledsoe remain friends. I never saw any evidence that the team quit on Drew. The Cowboys last night looked like they played well for him. In Buffalo, I don't know. Mularky may be like a lot of offensive minded coaches...he wants to go with his guy and he inherited Bledsoe.

If the Lions, well more directly Harrington, continue their poor play, yeah, I definitely see them in the Matt Leinart sweepstakes.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
The hilarious thing is that Detroit could still conceivably make the playoffs simply because of how awful the NFC North is. Chicago's not going to run away with. If Minnesota and Green Bay continue to underachieve, who knows how few wins it'll take to claim the division title.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Yeah, it's an ugly division this year.

RDCW Profile

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
This is going to sound hilarious, but I honestly think, based on their respective defenses, that the Lions and Bears *are* the best teams in the North. The Packers look old and clueless. The Vikings have no identity and have not experienced "addition by subtraction" with Moss's departure.

But I still say the Bears do not have enough to keep up with the Bengals this weekend.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
What's the record for most interceptions in consecutive games? The Bengals have to be close.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I believe they tied with the '71 Browns today omn that....btw....

Cincinnati 24, Chicago 7

SUPER BOWL BABY!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
ha..Who Dey???

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
First place bitches!

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
chris oakley will be sucking his thumb

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
amongst other things!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Amazing. The Lions take a week off, and find themselves in first place in the division.

If that doesn't motivate them to get it together as a team, then they need to do something drastic.

RDCW Profile

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

PenWing said:
Amazing. The Lions take a week off, and find themselves in first place in the division.

I think that just proves that the Lions do better when they don't play than when they do.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard