Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
400+ posts
400+ posts
Wow. Edwards has just shown very poor judge in character. There goes any hope that I'll support him if I don't like the Republican candidate, assuming he is the Democratic candidate, which he won't be.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
You can probably write off the presidential aspirations of John Edwards:

Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards said Sunday his plan for universal healthcare would require higher taxes and cost up to $120 billion year....
    ''Yes, we'll have to raise taxes. The only way you can pay for a healthcare plan that costs anywhere from $90 [billion] to $120 billion is there has to be a revenue source,'' the former North Carolina senator said.

Most Democrats want to raise your taxes, but they're usually smart enough to lie about it.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
I think we live in an age where, though the general public doesn't like it, most people understand that with everything that's gone on over the last few years, we're going to have to raise taxes. You're right, admitting that he'll have to raise taxes probably won't win him any points, but this isn't a Biden.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I agree with Perkins, I think most people figure on taxes going up anyway.

Fair play!
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Most Democrats want to raise your taxes, but they're usually smart enough to lie about it.

"Read my lips, no new taxes." (and then he raised them).

"Let's tell the truth. Mr. Reagan will raise taxes, and so will I. He won't tell you. I just did."

"Your taxes will be at the level they were at under President Clinton."

So basically Democrats have a better track record of honesty on tax increases. Bush jr. has lowered taxes, but mainly for the wealthy with token refunds for working families.
I guess your point is that it's better to lie and win, then be honest and lose?

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I don't know. I remember Dean saying he'd raise taxes in 2004. Kerry attacked him on it and that was when Dean started falling behind in the primaries.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
I don't know. I remember Dean saying he'd raise taxes in 2004. Kerry attacked him on it and that was when Dean started falling behind in the primaries.

but your point was that democrats usually lie about raising taxes. Thank you for providing another example of a democrat being honest about it.
Now, please provide Dean's tax plan and compare it to Kerry's so we can see whether Kerry's attack on him (if it was higher taxes than Kerry wanted) was justified.
Please also provide the figures on the surplus we had on Clinton versus the debt we have under Bush and then explain in your oh so wise way how putting the nation into debt is truly worth the token sum given to working families and the huge breaks to the rich.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Actually, our posts crossed. The "I don't know" comment was directed at MEM and Perkins saying that people would accept a tax increase. I was saying I don't know if that is the case.

the G-man #651710 2007-02-05 6:35 PM
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
In "Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy", Hoover Fellow Peter Schweizer reveals the glaring contradictions between the public stances and real-life behavior of prominent liberals including Michael Moore, Ted Kennedy, Al Franken, Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi and Ralph Nader – among others.

Among the eye-opening revelations of "Do As I Say":

Filmmaker Michael Moore insists that corporations are evil and claims he doesn't invest in the stock market due to moral principle. But Moore's IRS forms, viewed by Schweizer, show that over the past five years he has owned shares in such corporate giants as Halliburton, Merck, Pfizer, Sunoco, Tenet Healthcare, Ford, General Electric and McDonald's.

Billionaire Bush-basher George Soros says the wealthy should pay higher, more progressive tax rates. But he holds the bulk of his money in tax-free overseas accounts in Curacao, Bermuda and the Cayman Islands.

And, of course, a few weeks ago we learned that Mark Foley, who spent a good part of his career railing against homosexuals, was one.

In short, there's no dearth of hypocrisy in politics.

Edwards probably figured having a staffer make the call would help keep anyone from finding out. Oh wellll.....

I believe Moore owns stocks so he can vote in those companies to help his agenda.

George Soros is a hypocrit. After all, he earned his money by lowering the value of the currencies of two welfare states, Sweden and UK. God I hate him.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Karl Hungus said:
Please also provide the figures on the surplus we had on Clinton versus the debt we have under Bush and then explain in your oh so wise way how putting the nation into debt is truly worth the token sum given to working families and the huge breaks to the rich.

I've already made you look like a fool over this several times in your "Bushconomics" thread.

But if you want, I'll bump it up again.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
John Edwards... hawk? At least he is when speaking in Israel

I have to admit, however, its refreshing to hear this from any Democratic presidential contender.

That was two weeks ago.

Now, here is John Edwards speaking to liberal American Prospect reporter Ezra Klein yesterday:

Klein: So, I just want to get it very clear, you think that attacking Iran would be a bad idea?

Edwards: I think would have very bad consequences.

Klein: So when you said that all options are on the table?

Edwards: It would be foolish for any American president to ever take any option off the table.

Klein: Can we live with a nuclear Iran?

Edwards: I'm not ready to cross that bridge yet. I think that we have lots of opportunities that we've ... We're not negotiating with them directly, what I just proposed has not been done. We're not being smart about how we engage with them. But I'm not ready to cross that bridge yet. And I think the reason people react the way they do -- I understand it, because, when George Bush uses this kind of language, it means something very different for most people. I mean when he uses this kind of language "options are on the table," he does it in a very threatening kind of way -- with a country that he's not engaging with or making any serious diplomatic proposals to. I mean I think that he's just dead wrong about that.

Is this a flip flop? Or is Edwards just being slippery?

When he's talking to an Israeli group, he emphasizes the supreme danger Iran presents and implies strongly that military action is a real possibility, while barely even mentioning the idea of engagement and economic aid. When he's talking to a liberal American magazine, he emphasizes engagement and economic aid and downplays the possibility of military action as vanishingly unlikely during an Edwards presidency.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Left-wing blogger Amanda Marcotte of the vociferously anti-war web site Pandagon has been named by the John Edwards campaign as their new blogmaster.

Looks like Edwards, for all his money, has once again failed to hire good help.

Edwards in 'Bigotry Blog' War

In response to John Edwards' refusal to fire two staffers for "intolerant" Web postings, the president of the nation's largest Catholic civil rights group said he will launch a campaign next week to point out "the double-standard that [Edwards] is the kingmaker of."

Bill Donohue, president of the conservative-leaning Catholic League and the first to call on the Democratic presidential candidate to fire the bloggers, said that he is not satisfied with Edwards' decision to scold — but not can — the staffers.

By not firing Andrea Marcotte and Melissa McEwan, Donohue said, Edwards is promoting anti-Catholicism. He said the 2008 Democratic contender's actions should be viewed in the same way it would be seen if Edwards had not fired a staffer who had used the 'n'-word.

Despite saying the postings "personally offended me," Edwards decided not to fire Marcotte, who writes for the Pandagon blog, and McEwan, who runs the Shakespeare's Sister blog, for comments they made on those sites.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Looks like we won’t have Amanda Marcotte to kick around any more. She’s bailing out of the Edwards campaign, nobly crushed under the massive, well-financed pressure of the “right-wing noise machine” who just can’t stand to see a woman be successful.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

the G-man said:
Left-wing blogger Amanda Marcotte of the vociferously anti-war web site Pandagon has been named by the John Edwards campaign as their new blogmaster.

Looks like Edwards, for all his money, has once again failed to hire good help.

Edwards in 'Bigotry Blog' War

In response to John Edwards' refusal to fire two staffers for "intolerant" Web postings, the president of the nation's largest Catholic civil rights group said he will launch a campaign next week to point out "the double-standard that [Edwards] is the kingmaker of."

Bill Donohue, president of the conservative-leaning Catholic League and the first to call on the Democratic presidential candidate to fire the bloggers, said that he is not satisfied with Edwards' decision to scold — but not can — the staffers.

By not firing Andrea Marcotte and Melissa McEwan, Donohue said, Edwards is promoting anti-Catholicism. He said the 2008 Democratic contender's actions should be viewed in the same way it would be seen if Edwards had not fired a staffer who had used the 'n'-word.

Despite saying the postings "personally offended me," Edwards decided not to fire Marcotte, who writes for the Pandagon blog, and McEwan, who runs the Shakespeare's Sister blog, for comments they made on those sites.

So the Catholics are mad because Edwards chose to forgive them and turn the other cheek when he was personally offended?

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
No, Edwards was offended by what his employee wrote, not what the Catholics wrote.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
No, Edwards was offended by what his employee wrote, not what the Catholics wrote.

yeah, i just messed up on the phrasing.

Bow ties are coool.
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
botched post?

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
According to Edwards, "perhaps the Greatest Short-Term Threat to World Peace' is...Israel:

There are other emerging fissures, as well. The aggressively photogenic John Edwards was cruising along, detailing his litany of liberal causes last week until, during question time, he invoked the "I" word — Israel.

Perhaps the greatest short-term threat to world peace, Edwards remarked, was the possibility that Israel would bomb Iran's nuclear facilities. As a chill descended on the gathering, the Edwards event was brought to a polite close.

Really? Israel is the biggest threat?

Not Ahmedinijad?

Not al-Qaeda?

Not a coup attempt in Pakistan?

Not a complete breakdown in Iraq?

Wow. Edwards must be taking diplomacy lessons from Jimmy "too many Jews" Carter.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
I heard about that today..his presidential race is done..stupid bigot.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I don't know. Maybe he can parlay this into grabbing some of the Muslim vote from Barack Hussein Obama.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pig Iran said:
edwards already screwed up..by being an anti-semite.

I don't know. Right now, his only goal is winning the primary. And is that out of the question in a party that still respects Jimmy "Too Many Jews" Carter, Jesse "Hymietown" Jackson and Al "Blood Sucking Jews" Sharpton?

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
well.......it's a surprise 4 out of 5 jews are democrats...

Pig Iran #651724 2007-02-26 3:11 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pig Iran said:
well.......it's a surprise 4 out of 5 jews are democrats...

Not really. Under the broad definition that some people are willing to slap the label of anti-semite on, many of them probably would be considered to be "anti-semite" to.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Edwards: Jesus Would Be 'Appalled' at U.S.

Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards says Jesus would be appalled at how the United States has ignored the plight of the suffering, and that he believes children should have private time to pray at school.

"I think that Jesus would be disappointed in our ignoring the plight of those around us who are suffering and our focus on our own selfish short-term needs," Edwards told the site. "I think he would be appalled, actually."

Thank goodness the Democrats aren't like those bad old republicans, trying to mix church and state or anything.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Edwards: Jesus Would Be 'Appalled' at U.S.

Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards says Jesus would be appalled at how the United States has ignored the plight of the suffering, and that he believes children should have private time to pray at school.

"I think that Jesus would be disappointed in our ignoring the plight of those around us who are suffering and our focus on our own selfish short-term needs," Edwards told the site. "I think he would be appalled, actually."

Thank goodness the Democrats aren't like those bad old republicans, trying to mix church and state or anything.

Well I know a lot of christians say the same things about us ignoring the plight of the poor, and that's a fine message if it gets people helping each other.
I do oppose such religious talk from politicians, unfortunately Reagan started it by bringing the christian right in to politics so you can't really unring that bell.
I'm opposed to any form of organized school prayer. not necessarily out of contempt for the practice of prayer (a kid praying on his own is fine) but more that if there is an organized prayer than any kid that chooses to sit it out or prays to a different god will feel ostracized.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
John Edwards is defending the energy efficiency (or lack thereof) of his new mansion:

"The house was built from the beginning, both in its location for passive solar and the use of active solar, to help provide some of the energy for the house," said Edwards, in an interview with The Associated Press. "It doesn't provide all of the energy, but it provides some."

Edwards said he hired a design expert during construction of the home to suggest energy efficiency options.

"We actually had an expert come in and design how to make it energy efficient," said Edwards. "He came in and said this is the way to set up the systems. He came in and figured out how to make it efficient."

Edwards also said his family was taking efficiency to the smallest detail.

"Elizabeth, I saw her climb up, I literally saw her with piles of fluorescent light bulbs changing them out," said Edwards. "We are also committed to making the house carbon neutral."

That is, as efficient and neutral as one can heat and air condition 28,200 square feet of living space.

And they didn't move in that long ago. Why didn't they start out with the fluorescent bulbs? No Hired Help to Change the Light Bulbs?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Sadly Elizabeth Edwards' cancer is back and has spread to her bone. On the bright side, the doctors are optimistic that it will be treatable, and it is largely confined.

Politics aside, let's hope for the best for her health.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
New York Post:

Presidential candidate John Edwards said yesterday he is reimbursing his campaign $800 for his "hair"-brained Beverly Hills coifs.

The Democratic Edwards, who has taken fire for playing to the poor on the campaign trail while living a first-class lifestyle, charged two $400 haircuts from Tinseltown mane maestro Joe Torrenueva to his campaign, federal records show.

The payouts touched off a furor among middle-class voters in the heartland - people Edwards is counting on to propel his campaign - and prompted one Iowa newspaper to survey local barbers, one of whom called the $400 price tag "preposterous."

News of the first-class pampering for Edwards, who already has a reputation in political circles as a pretty boy, touched off a new round of mockery.

A popular YouTube clip shows the candidate obsessively combing his locks to the tune of "I Feel Pretty."

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
That kind of reminds me of clips of GOPers combing there hair in Farenheit 9/11. Hair stuff seems to be a rather petty issue to judge a candidate on IMHO. Anyone out there really feels this is an issue?

Fair play!
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
he is such a fucking douchebag......2 Americas my ass.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
You forgot to pin this one too.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Uschi said:
No, I only wanted the ones people gave a shit about. Just over a year and a half to elections, no better time to make it easier to look at the issues.

Romney, Thompson and Gore are all popular and, in some cases, more popular in national polls than the candidates you "pinned", even though the latter two haven't even announced.

Furthermore, at this early stage of proceedings, it is impossible to know who will inevitably win either party's nomination. For example, in 1992, Bill Clinton came out of nowhere, beating a crowded field.

So if your goal is to allow the readers easy access to the positions, or other information, about potential nominees, you have probably failed.

But, its okay. I realize that you're not very well read about U.S. politics, since that would tend to undermine your attempt at creating a "bad girl anarchist" image for yourself.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I thought she was going for the "bad girl retard" image!

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Uschi said:
No, I only wanted the ones people gave a shit about. Just over a year and a half to elections, no better time to make it easier to look at the issues.

Romney, Thompson and Gore are all popular and, in some cases, more popular in national polls than the candidates you "pinned", even though the latter two haven't even announced.

The threads have 12 or less pages. PEOPLE (ie, people here) don't care.

Quote:

Furthermore, at this early stage of proceedings, it is impossible to know who will inevitably win either party's nomination. For example, in 1992, Bill Clinton came out of nowhere, beating a crowded field.

So if your goal is to allow the readers easy access to the positions, or other information, about potential nominees, you have probably failed.

So what? I'm not a lying deleter.

Quote:

But, its okay. I realize that you're not very well read about U.S. politics, since that would tend to undermine your attempt at creating a "bad girl anarchist" image for yourself.

Heh, no. Since when am I anarchist? I am ALSO aware that I am not well-read about US politics, hence the haphazard pinning of four popular candidate threads. I don't follow politics because all the bullshit confuses the hell out of me. They all lie, they all cheat, and they all pretend they don't. Fuck it, I don't have the patience or ability to sift through and figure out what exactly every single person is probably going to do. If they're a politician, I hate them. End of story.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:
I thought she was going for the "bad girl retard" image!

Well, you left out the hermaphroditic part, but yeah.

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
The bottom line here is that, if people do care, the thread rises to the top and there is no need to pin it. If they don't care, pinning it is a waste of time.

Personally, I think its pretty silly to be pinning up topics for an election thats about 18 months away.

But if you really, really, feel the need to pin something up there, why not start a topic called, I dunno "Meet the candidates," put in links to all the threads about ALL the candidates, pin it and lock it. That way, anyone who comes here can do there, find the thread on, say, Barack Hussein Obama or Rudy Guiliani without searching.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
that's a pretty good idea. I thought about that last night but had already gone to bed. didn't think about locking it either.

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Thank you. Just trying to help here.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
The Washington Post:

The hedge fund that employed John Edwards markedly expanded its subprime lending business while he worked there, becoming a major player in the high-risk mortgage sector Edwards has pilloried in his presidential campaign.

He's been out there ripping the subprime mortgage sector because it's high risk. He's been pillorying it and the hedge fund that employed him expanded its subprime lending business while he was there.

But, like Sgt. Schulz, rather than be a man and say (for example) that he was just a lawyer advising a client, he falls back on the "I know nothink" defense

Edwards said yesterday that he was unaware of the push by the firm, Fortress Investment Group, into subprime lending and that he wishes he had asked more questions before taking the job.

This is a crock. The first thing he says is he went to the hedge fund to learn about poverty. This is a crock.

He had no clue what was going on at this hedge fund? He was its ADVISOR. If you were an adviser, you teach. If you are an adviser, you advise. But he said he went there to learn about poverty," then while he was there he had no clue that this firm was expanding its subprime business while he's out there ripping the subprime market all to hell.

Well, now let's be honest here. If you are selling subprime loans to mobile-home owners, the odds are that the majority of them are going to be in that category that Edwards calls "the Second America." They're "less affluent," shall we say.

Between this and ripping Wal-Mart while sending "the hired help" there to shop for his kids, Edwards' reputation as a man of the people is really taking a hit.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard