Print Thread
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/02/orson-scott-card-superman/

Quote:

Ahead of the release of this summer’s Superman film Man of Steel, DC Entertainment is launching a new digital anthology of short comics starring the last son of Krypton entitled Adventures of Superman. Unfortunately, the series is being launched with a story written by Ender’s Game author and outspoken homophobe Orson Scott Card, leading to an online backlash against both the project and the publisher. After all, doesn’t Superman stand against such bigotry?

News of Adventures of Superman broke last Wednesday, with Card listed as co-writer on the first two installments (Aaron Johnston, who has previously worked with Card on Marvel’s Ender’s Game comics as well as a number of science fiction novels, is the other writer, with Chris Sprouse and Karl Story illustrating). Almost immediately, internet reaction condemned Card’s involvement in the title, suggesting that it was tantamount to DC supporting his views on homosexuality.

Card, who is a board member of the National Organization of Marriage, a political non-profit that works against the legalization of same-sex marriage, has been outspoken about his homophobic views for decades. In 1990, Card argued that “laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books … used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society’s regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society.” In 2004, he wrote that equal marriage rights for gay people could “strike a death blow against the well-earned protected status of [my], and every other, real marriage” as well as American civilization itself.

In the same essay, Card asserts that “the dark secret of homosexual society — the one that dares not speak its name — is how many homosexuals first entered into that world through a disturbing seduction or rape or molestation or abuse.” This conflation of homosexuality with rape and sexual abuse would surface again later in 2011 after the republication of Card’s novella Hamlet’s Father, which recast the dead King in Shakespeare’s famous play as a gay pedophile who sexually abused Horatio, Laertes, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern when they were children. Several critics have asserted the book implies those characters become gay as a result of the abuse, although Card disputes that interpretation.

These beliefs align with Card’s larger, fiercely conservative worldview, which has inspired essays arguing that President Barack Obama was reelected last year because the media conspired to help him win a second term and that America’s public school system is “brainwashing” children through selective history lessons in order to create an army of Democratic Party voters – or as he calls them, the “Leftaliban.”

In response to Card’s involvement with the series, All Out, an international campaign for LGBT equality, has created an online petition calling for the writer’s removal from the title that has already surpassed its first target of 5,000 signatures and is now aiming for 10,000. This has, in turn, been characterized as “censorship” by others, with Kick-Ass creator Mark Millar going so far as to describe it as “fascistic,” suggesting issues with his understanding of the term. (Hint: A public petition asking a company to do something may not actually fall under the dictionary definition of fascism).

The issue has already inspired boycotts and parodies, bleeding from internet fandom into reports at mainstream news outlets like The Huffington Post, NPR, USA Today and The Guardian, which may help push DC into taking action. The publisher has recently been willing to reverse unpopular decisions based on fan reaction, after all.

When contacted for comment, DC Entertainment’s Courtney Simmons gave Wired the following statement: “As content creators we steadfastly support freedom of expression. However, the personal views of individuals associated with DC Comics are just that — personal views — and not those of the company itself.”

Adventures of Superman launches digitally in April, with a print edition following in May.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Quote:
After all, doesn’t Superman stand against such bigotry?

No,he hates gays and Filipinos. He said so in an annual a few years back.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I don't agree with a lot of Alan Moore or Grant Morrison's politics, but they wrote some good Superman stories. Unless Card inserts his politics into the story who cares?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
There are conservatives out there that I enjoy reading but he's actively working to stop gays from getting married. If somebody was hypothetically working that hard to stop athiests from getting married maybe you could understand why it's a bigger deal for some people.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
So Orson Scott Card's free-speech views, expressed somewhere outside the comics medium, are unacceptable... but fantasies about violently killing President George W. Bush, and spraying his bood and brains all over the walls of the Oval Office --while he was still a sitting president-- are perfectly fine?

Not to mention, comics stories that favorably endorse and promote the gay lifestyle are equally offensive to the rest of us, as Card's personal opinions of gays are to a few intolerant liberals. I would venture to guess that to most of the public, a story that promotes homosexuality is more offensive than a story that condemns homosexuality.

Score another one for the "tolerant" voice of liberalism.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
There are conservatives out there that I enjoy reading but he's actively working to stop gays from getting married. If somebody was hypothetically working that hard to stop athiests from getting married maybe you could understand why it's a bigger deal for some people.

As I pointed out many times previously, gays want to prevent Christians from stating that homosexuality is immoral, and want to establish laws that make reading Bible verses that clearly state this as "hate speech" punishable by large fines or imprisonment.

Gays are part of the liberal/secularist thought police that banned prayer in schools, attempts to drive all reference to the Bible or Biblical principles from our schools, from government, from courts --to remove all Biblical reference from the Constitutional republic that was founded on those Biblical principles.
To remove all Biblical reference from our history and institutions --from a government that refers to God 5 times in its forming Declaration, and chose to sign its Constitution "in the year of our Lord, 1787."
From a government whose founders thought teaching of the Bible, and of Christian principles, was essential to the health of our democracy. And the absence of which doomed every previous republic to failure, and that abandonment of those principles would bring about our collapse as well.
And we have seen abundant evidence of that increasing trend toward collapse over the last 40 years.

And more recently, liberals have passed laws that require Catholic institutions to provide birth control to women, a practice the Catholic church has opposed as long as it has existed. (I'm not a Catholic or in opposition to birth control, but I'm still offended by this attack on the religious freedom of Catholics.)

Gays can live together.
Gays in virtually all places can have civil union.
Gays in many places can even be married.
Gays can have spousal benefits even when not married, in the employ of Ben & Jerry's, Disney, and many other corporations and small companies.
What is the response of gays?

To intrude and further stomp on conservative freedoms. To intolerantly harass and slander, and in every other way intellectually urinate defiantly --intolerantly-- on what others hold sacred.
Gays like yourself appear to have no interest in a balance that protects both the rights of people who believe what you do, and people who believe what I do. No matter what balance is attempted, no matter what level of tolerance is extended by conservatives, your goal is always to circumnavigate the law to further intrude on my rights. To rub your lifestyle in my face, and force me to accept it, and even subsidize it with my tax dollars.

I hope Card writes a best-selling series. I hope it is distributed and displayed in every 7-11 and Walmart and Barnes & Noble from here to Tasmania. And I hope it sticks in your craw.

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

You mean like all the writers, artists, singers, songwriter, actors and actresses who actively worked to reelect Obama but whose work I would still buy as long as it wasn't itself liberal propaganda?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Just like me with those who actively supported Romney. That however is different to me than somebody specifically working to limit my rights and freedoms. So I'll go see Clint Eastwood in a movie and even shop at a business that supported Romney but I'm passing on Card.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Just like me with those who actively supported Romney. That however is different to me than somebody specifically working to limit my rights and freedoms.

You mean like all the liberal celebrities who oppose the Second Amendment? I should try to have their movies boycotted?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
So your gun is as important as your wife? That's assuming you have the type of gun those celebrities want banned. Interesting.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
No one said anything about which right is more important. You're just projecting now.

The First Ten Amendments to the Constitution are called 'the Bill of Rights.' They list rights that were/are considered important to the preservation of freedom. Certain of those rights, including the ones in the Second Amendment, have been under attack by liberal celebrities. Some others may be under attack from conservatives or religious zealots.

So are you saying the only right worth fighting for is the right to take a cock up your pooper?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
How classy.

My point was to just try to give you some type of reference as to why some people are not so casual about Card's political activities. If somebody was actively trying to mess with your marriage I highly doubt you would be putting money in their pockets. I do reallize you don't care when it's gay people being married because it doesn't affect you personally but you should be capable of understanding why it's a big deal for gays and others with some empathy.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
As I already pointed out repeatedly, M E M, no one, including Andrew Scott Card, is threatening your freedom to have gay sex or marriage. Show me how he, or anyone else, is advocating taking away any rights you currently have?

Even in the absence of gay marriage (not recognized in most of the 50 states, or most of the world) there is still unrecognized gay marriage that still occurs (I've met many in Florida), and many companies offer spousal benefits.
And you can include whoever you want in your will, gay or otherwise, have civil union, or just live together. You can live with who you want, and even have spousal benefits from many businesses.
I really don't see the point of pushing the issue, beyond harassing Christians, rubbing their faces in it, and forcing them to legally accept what they NEVER will in their hearts.

It comes down ONLY to the fact that (however harmless to you) you don't like what this Card guy advocates in his personal and political beliefs, and you want to punish, harass, and deprive him of his own beliefs and political freedom. And of his livelihood as a writer, despite that his beliefs and political activity is separate from the stories he publishes.

G-man was just discussing the Bill of Rights, considered essential to preserving freedom.

Like most liberals, you apparently believe in:

1) Freedom of speech and religion, except for anyone who's not a liberal and disagrees with you, in which case their political/religious freedom needs to be deprived, harassed and silenced.

2) Right to bear arms, except for anyone who's not a liberal, ...in which case their right to self-protection needs to be deprived, harassed and silenced.

...and on down the bill of rights.

Stalin's Russia and Castro's Cuba enforce "rights" pretty much the same way. Myself, I'm a fan of equal protection under the law.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Just like me with those who actively supported Romney. That however is different to me than somebody specifically working to limit my rights and freedoms.

You mean like all the liberal celebrities who oppose the Second Amendment?

Who cling to gun ownership to protect themselves, but try to deprive anyone else from the same ability to protect themselves.

Like Senator Diane Feinstein.

Like Barack Obama and other Washington Democrats who have armed guards to protect them and their families.

Like the NY Newspaper that published the addresses of gun-owners in their region, and then hired armed guards to protect themselves from the anger of those they exposed.

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
...How long before married people answer the dictators thus: Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
How classy.

My point was to just try to give you some type of reference as to why some people are not so casual about Card's political activities. If somebody was actively trying to mess with your marriage I highly doubt you would be putting money in their pockets. I do reallize you don't care when it's gay people being married because it doesn't affect you personally but you should be capable of understanding why it's a big deal for gays and others with some empathy.

At this point I should probably point out that I don't own a single firearm. Not a one. I haven't even picked one up since the mid-90s (if not earlier). So my objections to people trying to violate the Second Amendment come, not from worry that it will hurt me personally, but from a certain revulsion at people trying to take away an enshrined constitutional right.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Some more Card...
 Quote:
Biological imperatives trump laws. American government cannot fight against marriage and hope to endure. If the Constitution is defined in such a way as to destroy the privileged position of marriage, it is that insane Constitution, not marriage, that will die.

deseretnews.com

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yep, he sounds like a kook.

Here's another kook:
  • I tend to think that anarchy is the most natural form of politics for a human being to actually practice. All it means, the word, is no leaders. An-archon. No leaders...if we were to take out all the leaders tomorrow, and put them up against a wall and shoot them— and it’s a lovely thought, so let me just dwell on that for a moment...

And, unlike Card (at least to date), DC has actually published stories in which the second kook advances his philosophy.

So, I guess DC should have never, ever, hired that second guy? Is that what you're saying?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Being a kook no, making threats to take down the government like Card has however is something else. Wouldn't you agree?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I disagree with him, just like I disagree with Moore said about shooting leaders. I consider both to hyperbole more than an actual threat. And if DC should shun Card for his hyperbole they should have shunned Moore as well.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Moore called it a lovely thought. That isn't a threat. Card on the other hand makes clear what he intends to do if he doesn't get his way. Hyperbole? Perhaps but that's really just a guess.

Fair play!
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Moore called it a lovely thought.

Meaning he has the capacity to either actively or passively support a siege on the government. Very good.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Eh, I might would buy this--if I still bought comics--so long as he didn't use it as a podium to push his anti-gay marriage stance. If I didn't listen to/read/acknowledge as existing people that have significant philosophical or political positions than mine then my life would be myopic and boring.

Personally, the only exceptions to that are people who use everything as a way to, more or less, shove their beliefs own others' throats. Tom Cruise, for example, is probably one of the worst offenders here. Everything he does has an evangelical motive for Scientology. To even get him to take a role, companies have to allow large, mobile Scientology units to come in and force themselves upon the other actors, production crews, and the like. I find it deplorable and refuse to have anything to do with Cruise related projects because of it.

In this instance, I don't see Card being able to convince the DC brass to allow him to make it a medium to "get his bigot on" or whatever so I am more inclined to give this a look and--maybe--even a few dollars to make that look legal. ;\)

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
It's more than just a stance for him though. Card has threatened to topple the government if it legalizes gay marriage. Currently he sits on the board for NOM that is spending huge amounts of money to stop gay marriage. That for me just makes it to personal.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Come on, card's threat to topple the government is about as likely as Alec Baldwins was to leave the country if Bush won. It's just a blowhard being a blowhard, same as Moore when he said he'd like to shoot people.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
They've released the first art from Card's Superman story:

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
\:lol\:

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Quote:
...How long before married people answer the dictators thus: Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn.

deseretnews.com

I wonder if DC comics is aware that Card has threatened to destroy the government over gay marriage?

I didn't see anything in Card's statement about guns, bombs, or violent revolution of any kind. He simply said he will oppose in every way he can an immoral government that imposes unfair laws and intrudes on the rights of its citizens. Like Walesa. Like Gandhi.

But again reminding you of your convoluted double-standard, M E M...

Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
So Orson Scott Card's free-speech views, expressed somewhere outside the comics medium, are unacceptable... but fantasies about violently killing President George W. Bush, and spraying his bood and brains all over the walls of the Oval Office --while he was still a sitting president-- are perfectly fine?

Not to mention, comics stories that favorably endorse and promote the gay lifestyle are equally offensive to the rest of us, as Card's personal opinions of gays are to a few intolerant liberals. I would venture to guess that to most of the public, a story that promotes homosexuality is more offensive than a story that condemns homosexuality.

Score another one for the "tolerant" voice of liberalism.

...you don't seem to have the slightest problem with the most blatant calls for violent action, or the most graphic editorial glee in the notion of killing, a CONSERVATIVE/REPUBLICAN government.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
They've released the first art from Card's Superman story:

is it wrong that i just read this issue of supergirl like three days ago?

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
No, that was very good story.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Card channeling Ghandi? I don't think so WB.
 Quote:

Card's talk about destroying the government aside, once again my main point was that if somebody was working that hard to keep you from getting married I doubt you would be so casual about his politics. Just look at how you respond to just somebody saying they're not going to buy something.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
once again my main point was that if somebody was working that hard to keep you from getting married I doubt you would be so casual about his politics.

No one's working to keep you from getting married. Least of all Scott Card.

In fact, he'll be the first one to show up at your wedding when you tie the knot with the lucky lady who made you realize how confused you are.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Card channeling Ghandi? I don't think so WB.
 Quote:

Card's talk about destroying the government aside, once again my main point was that if somebody was working that hard to keep you from getting married I doubt you would be so casual about his politics. Just look at how you respond to just somebody saying they're not going to buy something.

I didn't see anything in Card's statement to indicate anything other than personal opposition to an an oppressive and intrusive far-left liberal government.
You'd have better luck slandering Ted Nugent with that argument, M E M. But even Nugent just wants to keep his guns, he doesn't imply firing them at a government he doesn't like.
And Orson Scott Card never mentions guns, bombs or violence. Just heartfelt determined resistance to a government that intrudes on his rights.

And by the way, you still haven't answered for your hypocrisy, where you criticize Card for alleged violent rhetoric that YOU INVENTED, while you have no problem with the most overt displays of ACTUAL liberal fantasies of violence toward conservatives, with the above posted Warren Ellis story, that even on its wraparound cover has President George W. Bush and his cabinet members' blood sprayed all over the Oval Office walls.

You have a ridiculously blatant double-standard. And I'm surprised you can even try to criticize Card, with what you tolerate from your fellow liberals, in their ongoing threats and gleeful imaginings of violence toward Republican/conservatives.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Works of fiction are not the same thing as somebody writing that they will personally act to destroy and bring down their government. I have no problem just letting Card's words speak for themselves btw. It's fun watching you translate them and even compare him to Ghandi.

Fair play!

Link Copied to Clipboard