Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
http://www.8newsnow.com/story/14460188/c...president-obama

Quote:
ORANGE COUNTY (CBS) — KCAL9 received a tip about a racist email circulated to some Republican Party members depicting President Obama's parents as chimpanzees.

This week Marilyn Davenport, a Southern California Tea Party activist and member of the central committee of the Orange County Republican Party circulated what some are calling hate e-mail to an unknown number of her fellow conservatives.

Written under the words, "Now you know why — No birth certificate!", is an Obama family portrait depicting his parents as chimpanzees.

When asked if she thought the email was appropriate, Davenport is quoted as saying, "Oh, come on! Everybody who knows me knows that I am not a racist. It was a joke. I have friends who are black. Besides, I only sent it to a few people–mostly people I didn't think would be upset by it."

Former Chairman of the California Republican Party Michael Schroder has demanded Davenport's resignation saying it's not her first brush with racist rhetoric.

In February 2009, Los Alamitos Mayor Dean Grose, another Orange County Republican, emailed the White House watermelon image and then apologized. While others demanded he step down, Davenport defended him. When a Newport City Councilman voted against installing grass turf near the beach because it would "attract Mexicans", Schroder claims that she supported him as well.

"That's three strikes," he says.

KCAL9 reporter Stacey Butler asked Davenport if she wanted to appear on camera but she declined. She blames the media for blowing this story out of proportion.

(©2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
This week Marilyn Davenport, a Southern California Tea Party activist and member of the central committee of the Orange County Republican Party circulated what some are calling hate e-mail

Don't you just love weasel words?

Apparently JLA does.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Apparently Pariah didn't click on either link.

Read more and post less, Corky.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
HOW CAN YOU ARGUE ABOUT POLITICS WHEN NIC CAGE HAS BEEN ARRESTED?!

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
What? Who would dare arrest Nic?!

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
He rides ghosts for a living!

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Arguably, it has nothing to do with racism andveverything to do with making fun of a political opponent for being an idiot. After all, liberals referred to President Bush as a chimp on a regular basis.

For example, we have this from the Huffington Post:
  • Prior to reading this new study I was under the mistaken impression that Bush was a parrot, because of his apparent inability to say anything about Iraq except 'progress is being made', which he repeats mechanically every time the topic is raised. But now the scales have fallen from my eyes: Bush is a chimp. It seems so obvious now, watching him speak.

Were all those references racist?

Assuming that, yes, "chimp" = "racist", now google the terms "Bush chimp" and then "Obama chimp" in image search. You get approximately 77,000 more images of the former than the latter. That an approximate 38% difference.

Most likely, in each case, the posters of same were doing so in an attempt to insult a political foe.

And, if we follow your argument that depicting a president as a chimp is racist, then it would seem that there are at least 38% more racists on the left than the right. That's a pretty big difference.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Oh please, Gordon. It's a very well known and understood social 'no-no' to compare black people with monkeys. It's not like they used images of fat, lazy cats, sleeping hippos, or Dodo's looking clueless. They used monkeys specifically because he's black. And they did it to his parents. Don't know about Obama, but I'd punch this bitch in the mouth just based on playground rules. No one on the Right should waste their time trying to defend what is, so obviously, a bad apple in the Republican organization.

But, I assume your (and Wondy's, and Pariah's, and BSAMS's and Rex's and all the rest of the SuperRightwing Friends) mind is already made up based on insta-political bias. Just thought I'd throw some reality in here for e moment before Dave comes running in with fifty mentions of the words "Liberal Media"...

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
Oh please, Gordon. It's a very well known and understood social 'no-no' to compare black people with monkeys. It's not like they used images of fat, lazy cats, sleeping hippos, or Dodo's looking clueless. They used monkeys specifically because he's black.

But, I assume your (and Wondy's, and Pariah's, and BSAMS's and Rex's and all the rest of the SuperRightwing Friends) mind is already made up based on insta-political bias. Just thought I'd throw some reality in here for e moment before Dave comes running in with fifty mentions of the words "Liberal Media"...

A brillion points.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
It's a very well known and understood social 'no-no' to compare black people with monkeys. It's not like they used images of fat, lazy cats, sleeping hippos, or Dodo's looking clueless. They used monkeys specifically because he's black. And they did it to his parents.

Obama's mother is white. His mother's whole side of the family is white. Remember Obama going on about how his white grandmother was a racist (even though she helped raise him)?

So calling a white woman a monkey is racist but calling a white man isn't?

Look, I agree with you that her joke was rude, stupid and disrespectful to the office of the president. And maybe her intent was racist. Even if not, she should fucking know better.

But if we're going to start throwing around the race card (again) let's at least be willing to analyze the whole thing and consider the context of recent history too.

Or are we going to engage in another game of "it's okay when our side does it but not theirs"?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I don't remember anyone sending pics of Bush around with swastikas on his forehead (although, I'm certain some Leftwing nutjobwhomod did). It would be wrong either way. So, again, don't waste time defending what is obvious racism coming from the extremist Right. This is exactly what we bash Muslims about. If there is a less-than-extreme side to your group, then make that the loudest voice. Otherwise, it looks like you're just defending the lunatics, which just paints your entire race or group as wrong. Don't be afraid to slam some nutjob like this woman, or Wondy, just because they have an 'R' by their name...

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I'm not sure I care enough either way. racist emails? so fucking what? are we that thin-skinned as a society? now, ethnic slurs in the middle of a national news broadcast, yeah that'd be a problem. but ultimately free speech is free speech, however racist or fucktarded it might be. seriously, unless some high-level state or federal politician is responsible for this it's a nonissue. there will always be racists and bigots and fucktards around you. either call them out on it yourself or learn to fucking deal with it.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch
either call them out on it yourself or learn to fucking deal with it.

Exactly. Each party should take responsibility for its more extreme elements, rather than trying to cover them in a blanket of complicity..

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Arguably, it has nothing to do with racism andveverything to do with making fun of a political opponent for being an idiot. After all, liberals referred to President Bush as a chimp on a regular basis.

For example, we have this from the Huffington Post:
  • Prior to reading this new study I was under the mistaken impression that Bush was a parrot, because of his apparent inability to say anything about Iraq except 'progress is being made', which he repeats mechanically every time the topic is raised. But now the scales have fallen from my eyes: Bush is a chimp. It seems so obvious now, watching him speak.

Were all those references racist?

Assuming that, yes, "chimp" = "racist", now google the terms "Bush chimp" and then "Obama chimp" in image search. You get approximately 77,000 more images of the former than the latter. That an approximate 38% difference.

Most likely, in each case, the posters of same were doing so in an attempt to insult a political foe.

And, if we follow your argument that depicting a president as a chimp is racist, then it would seem that there are at least 38% more racists on the left than the right. That's a pretty big difference.

That's way too much work to defend this chick. If she isn't racist, she's the stupidest bitch to walk the face of the earth if she thought this exact thing wouldn't happen to her after sending out those emails. Either way, she has no place in politics as she's displayed her inability to think before she acts.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
How come it's not racist to endlessly --for years--call Bush a chimp, but it's racist to (one time)jokingly show "an Obama family portrait depicting [Obama's] parents as chimpanzees"?
(I see now reading the rest of the topic that G-man and the Doctor have both commented on this as well.)

It's not a portrayal I, or an overwhelming majority of Republicans would make of Obama. There are so many legitimate issues on which to attack Obama.
About his marxist past, about his marxist/terrorist associates (David, Ayers, Wright, Khalidi, Wright...), marxists in his administration (Van Jones, Dunn, Lloyd, Sunstein, Jarett..), and just the failures of his presidency, ignoring the priorities of those who voted for him in pursuit of a radical-leftist agenda(the various stimulus, omnibus bills, banning offshore drilling that further cuts jobs and makes us dependent on foreign oil, weak foreign policy in Libya, Egypt, Iran and elsewhere, policies that have created enormous pending inflation).

Davenport is a moron for giving this kind of free "Republicans are racist" ammunition to the Democrats, and should justly be fired or resign.

Last edited by Wonder Boy; 2011-04-17 7:46 PM.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch
either call them out on it yourself or learn to fucking deal with it.

Exactly. Each party should take responsibility for its more extreme elements, rather than trying to cover them in a blanket of complicity..

Yeah, but in all seriousness, the GOP leaders did call her out:
  • County GOP Chairman Scott Baugh has called for the resignation of Marilyn Davenport, an elected member of the party central committee who sent the email to some committee members and others last week. Baugh said he received it Friday afternoon and quickly responded with an email telling Davenport it was "dripping with racism and is in very poor taste." He said the issue should be referred to the Orange County GOP's ethics committee.

So why is this being used as some sort of evidence that anyone but her and her handful of supporters feel this way? If one is going to argue (as JLA seemingly tried to) that this is endemic to the participant's party then, racist or just assholery, he or she needs to explain why similar crap on the other side (including some of the stuff hurled at Condi Rice) isn't evidence of an endemic problem on the other side.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I don't remember anyone sending pics of Bush around with swastikas on his forehead (although, I'm certain some Leftwing nutjobwhomod did). It would be wrong either way. So, again, don't waste time defending what is obvious racism coming from the extremist Right. This is exactly what we bash Muslims about. If there is a less-than-extreme side to your group, then make that the loudest voice. Otherwise, it looks like you're just defending the lunatics, which just paints your entire race or group as wrong. Don't be afraid to slam some nutjob like this woman, or Wondy, just because they have an 'R' by their name...

You forget quickly.

Your personal idol, Whomod, used to post that kind of crap all the time. There was one in particular I recall from the "It's not about oil or Iraq.." topic, that showed Bush standing with Lieberman and several other moderate Democrats who voted with Bush on a few issues, and it showed them all standing in suits with swastika armbands, with a word balloon saying something like "You guys are Democrats, but if you play along we'll let you stay a while."

You say "it's wrong either way", but you always find a way to overlook it or excuse it, when it comes from the liberal/democrat side.

And simultaneously, you ignore that no one, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE, among Republicans here or elsewhere endorses the monkey-parents-family-photo e-mail this one lady sent. And yet you still label it "right-wing extremists" (I guess you got Chuck Schumer's memo).

This is not right-wing extremist, it is just plain stupid. And the woman who sent it should be fired immediately for her lack of judgement.

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
Your personal idol, Whomod

\:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\:

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Your personal idol, Whomod

\:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\:

For all your \:lol\: crap, that is very well established.

I don't know if you delude yourself to believe you're objective, or whether you maliciously slander your opposition out of purely infantile defiance.

But the result is pitiably the same: you slander truth, you support lies, and you enable evil with what you choose to support against all evidence.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
...wow...

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
To be fair to Pro:
  • I don't think he's ever claimed to be objective any more than any of the rest of do.

I read his post to specifically say he had little doubt that whomod had done such a thing.

Quote:
    I don't remember anyone sending pics of Bush around with swastikas on his forehead (although, I'm certain some Leftwing nutjobwhomod did)
    (emphasis added)

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
To be fair to Pro:
  • I don't think he's ever claimed to be objective any more than any of the rest of do.

I read his post to specifically say he had little doubt that whomod had done such a thing.

Quote:
    I don't remember anyone sending pics of Bush around with swastikas on his forehead (although, I'm certain some Leftwing nutjobwhomod did)
    (emphasis added)

Uh...

He also said...

don't waste time defending what is obvious racism coming from the extremist Right. This is exactly what we bash Muslims about. If there is a less-than-extreme side to your group, then make that the loudest voice. Otherwise, it looks like you're just defending the lunatics, which just paints your entire race or group as wrong. Don't be afraid to slam some nutjob like this woman, or Wondy, just because they have an 'R' by their name...

So despite that no one, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE on the Right defended this lady, all republicans are slandered by him as supporting her unless we say otherwise, which we all DID already say we condemn despite the ' "R" next to [her] name'.

So, as in the Rep Giffords shooting four months ago, we're [Republicans] all guilty till proven innocent. And then even when we clearly never supported or believed what this lady did, we're [Republicans] all racist "extremists", and he's still waiting for some of us to condemn it, despite that we ALL already did.

So, despite a few phrases of pseudo-moderation in Pro's quoted remarks, he's a partisan weasel, just like always.

And don't forget that despite Prometheus' quoted comments above about Whomod's extremism, BSAMS quoted a topic a while back from the Iconoclat forum where Pro was on his knees worshipping every word Whomod writes.

So Pro's a lying cocksucker piece of shit, talking out both sides of his mouth. And is more liberal-extreme than the "right wing extreme" rhetoric he manufactures out of thin air.

Or as I put it in my signature:

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Again, to be fair, one of the sources said one or two people on the county committee who are friends of hers did defend her.

Granted, they did so under a theory of "she's a nice old lady who didn't mean it that way." Which is not the same as defending racism. However it is an attempt at a defense.

Again, that in no way tars the entire party, especially given that the leadership called for her resignation. But someone did defend her.

So you can't really say that "absolutely no one" defended her.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Why can't we all just set aside partisanship and politics and just make fun of the woman for being an idiot?

Jesus, guys. It's like you're not RKMBers anymore.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
We used to be a family!

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
If only Pro could be as objective as WB and G-man.

I'll agree with the "it's wrong whoever does it".

Fair play!
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
So Pro's a lying cocksucker piece of shit, talking out both sides of his mouth. And is more liberal-extreme than the "right wing extreme" rhetoric he manufactures out of thin air.

\:whoa\:

Who the fuck pissed into your corn flakes this morning?

As for the story, one might be able to defend her if it wasn't for her history of defending others. The chimp thing, standing by itself, I wouldn't see as racist as there were many Bush chimp pictures. It is a political meme. But, you throw in the White House watermelon patch & such and it does look terribly racist. It could only get worse if they had him eating fried chicken while cashing a welfare check. Bitch needed to be removed and, from here on out, ignored.

Last edited by iggy; 2011-04-17 11:45 PM.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
They used monkeys specifically because he's black.

What proof have you that there was any specific intent towards racism?

As has already been pointed out, someone being compared to a chimp (see also: Bush) can just as easily attribute to a lack of intelligence and/or charisma.

Would you say it's a racist statement that Obama resembles a chimp moreso than Bush even though it's a true statement?

Last edited by Pariah; 2011-04-18 1:39 AM.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
Why can't we all just set aside partisanship and politics and just make fun of the woman for being an idiot?

If she had said something along the lines of "Obama is a filthy monkey--and here's proof," then I'd be more than making fun of her. I'd be calling her a racist.

But quite frankly, I don't see much difference between this and the attacks lodged against Bush.

I will say though that she was stupidly short-sighted. She should have known that oversensitive tards would make a big deal out of it.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
But the result is pitiably the same: you slander truth, you support lies, and you enable evil with what you choose to support against all evidence.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\:

Wow. I snapped you like a dry twig. How easy. Get your act together, David. You're starting to remind me of Tommy and his Yellow Liberal Ass-Bug...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
What proof have you that there was any specific intent towards racism?

*crickets chirping*

I guess Prometheus concedes that there is no apparent racist intent on Davenport's part.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I'm sorry. Since when do you and I speak directly to each other? Why on earth should I bother dancing with you? The facts speak for themselves, and any illusion of objectivity from your part is merely an attempt to deflect from my point. And kid, if you didn't get it the first time, I'm not bothering to explain to you now. Pariah talking to me. Give me a break...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Is this the point where I post a series of laughing graemlins to make myself feel better about my position even though it doesn't really serve my side of the argument in any way shape or form?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Yes?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
As much as I hate political correctness, it's ingrained into our society to the point that I couldn't see how someone could write or even read a statement like such in regards to Obama and not have even a moment of thought of, "Hey! That sounds a little racist." At least not without being a little racist themselves, which, then, they wouldn't fucking care. Again, either way, the chick is stupid. Anyone trying to defend her is being equally stupid or blindly partisan to the point that you have to defend anyone with your same, overall, political beliefs even if you think she was wrong/stupid for what she did.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
As much as I hate political correctness, it's ingrained into our society to the point that I couldn't see how someone could write or even read a statement like such in regards to Obama and not have even a moment of thought of, "Hey! That sounds a little racist." At least not without being a little racist themselves, which, then, they wouldn't fucking care. Again, either way, the chick is stupid. Anyone trying to defend her is being equally stupid or blindly partisan to the point that you have to defend anyone with your same, overall, political beliefs even if you think she was wrong/stupid for what she did.

AGAIN: Who's defending her?

Absolutely no one. Why do you act like anyone is?

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Again, to be fair, one of the sources said one or two people on the county committee who are friends of hers did defend her.

Granted, they did so under a theory of "she's a nice old lady who didn't mean it that way." Which is not the same as defending racism. However it is an attempt at a defense.

Again, that in no way tars the entire party, especially given that the leadership called for her resignation. But someone did defend her.

So you can't really say that "absolutely no one" defended her.

While I appreciate the distinction you try to make, I still disagree.

No one defended what she did. They just said she did something indefensible but she's still a nice lady, so give her a break. They defended her overall character, not her actions.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Each party should take responsibility for its more extreme elements, rather than trying to cover them in a blanket of complicity..

They just said she did something indefensible but she's still a nice lady, so give her a break. They defended her overall character, not her actions.

\:lol\:

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yes?

Just making sure since, you know, it's your favorite thing to do when you decide to run away from an argument without conceding a point you can't back up.

Originally Posted By: thedoctor

I never defended her emails. I only pointed out that there's not enough evidence of racism despite Promethues' willingness to label as many people apart of the tea party as he can as some kind of discriminatory backward redneck.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard