Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brother from another mother
15000+ posts

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/25/us/california-racial-bake-sale/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
 Quote:

(CNN) -- Campus Republicans at the University of California Berkeley have cooked up a storm of controversy with their plans for a bake sale.

But it's not your everyday collegiate fundraiser they've got in mind. They've developed a sliding scale where the price of the cookie or brownie depends on your gender and the color of your skin.

During the sale, scheduled for Tuesday, baked goods will be sold to white men for $2.00, Asian men for $1.50, Latino men for $1.00, black men for $0.75 and Native American men for $0.25. All women will get $0.25 off those prices.

"The pricing structure is there to bring attention, to cause people to get a little upset," Campus Republican President Shawn Lewis, who planned the event, told CNN-affiliate KGO. "But it's really there to cause people to think more critically about what this kind of policy would do in university admissions."

Lewis says it's a way to make a statement about pending legislation that would let the California universities consider race or national origin during the admission process.
But the young Republicans have been on the receiving end of a fierce backlash.

Reaction has been so negative they've been forced to cancel their customary lunchtime tabling duties, according to KGO.

Lewis told CNN's Don Lemon that they expected a certain amount of opposition but not the level of outrage they experienced.

"We didn't expect the volume, the amount of response that we got," Lewis said. "In the first few hours, hundreds of posts on our Facebook page. And the tone of some of the responses -- we expected people to be upset. We didn't expect personal threats to be made. They were implicit and explicit threats made to the organizers of the event, from burning down the table to throwing our baked goods at us and other kinds of physical threats."

Tim Wise, author of the book "White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son," calls the bake sale a "sarcastic and rather smarmy slap at people of color."
"There are a lot of ways to make a point about your disagreement with affirmative action," Wise told Lemon Saturday night.

"I get the joke," he continued. "How very original. It's been done for 15 years. The point that I think needs to be made ... is that by the time anyone steps on a college campus ... there has already been 12- to 13-years of institutionalized affirmative action for white folks, that is to say, racially embedded inequality, which has benefited those of us who are white. And it's only at the point of college admissions that these folks seem to get concerned with color consciousness."

Lewis insists, however, that Campus Republicans will go ahead with their bake sale and are committed to their controversial pricing structure.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Apparently some people don't understand satire. It is pointing out the absurdity of racist affirmative action policies.

That being said, this is nothing new. I think they did this at Cornell to protest affirmative action back in the 80s. Other schools have had these events since on a near-yearly basis.

Hard to see why it's suddenly news again now, twenty years later...except maybe as part of the soon to be regular attempt to paint anyone who opposes Obama as a racist.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
In fact, John Stossel held one on TV last year and explained the satire behind it:

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People

Tim Wise, author of the book "White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son," calls the bake sale a "sarcastic and rather smarmy slap at people of color."
"There are a lot of ways to make a point about your disagreement with affirmative action," Wise told Lemon Saturday night.

"I get the joke," he continued. "How very original. It's been done for 15 years. The point that I think needs to be made ... is that by the time anyone steps on a college campus ... there has already been 12- to 13-years of institutionalized affirmative action for white folks, that is to say, racially embedded inequality, which has benefited those of us who are white. And it's only at the point of college admissions that these folks seem to get concerned with color consciousness."

Yep.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Yeah, but...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pro
"... it's only at the point of college admissions that these folks seem to get concerned with color consciousness."

The students in question are already enrolled in college. Whatever they accomplish (or dont) will have no effect on their own admission. As such, it seems specious to assume a selfish motive.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
"... it's only at the point of college admissions that these folks seem to get concerned with color consciousness."

Yeah, but...

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus

Yeah, but...

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
\:lol\: \:lol\:

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

\:lol\:

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I think the important point here is that these bake sale protests have been done for 15 years. And are apparently an effective manifestation of the unfairness of race-conscious admissions policies that favor non-whites.

The fact is, these bake sales have been done for 15 years as an effective tool for demonstating the unfairness of race-based admissions selection.
And the Left is trying now a new tactic to squash and silence conservatives who have continuously been effectively making their point: harassment, intimidation, and threats of violence, toward those involved in a simple bake sale.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
It's okay! They're white!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
It's okay! They're white!

Way to avoid ad-hominem attacks and address the real issue, Pro.

Are you even capable of that at this point?

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
\:lol\: \:lol\:

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
What "points", WB? You mean your opinion that the whites are right, and everyone else is wrong? Yeah, I saw it. That's what I'm laughing at. Like Aussie-Dave said, you have a single, tiny view of the world, and you hold onto it desperately on all occasions. And even the slightest disagreement or challenge to your antiquated mental house of cards is met with erratic, violent outbursts of name-calling and BOLD CAPS. You carry only the Tea Party line of "us right, you wrong" and, quite frankly, are so close-minded as to not be available to share even the smallest ideas that aren't your own. Thus....

Do you disagree?

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You mean your opinion that the whites are right, and everyone else is wrong?

Funny how that's been your position for quite some time now: the white aging liberal pothead is right about every issue under the sun and everyone else is just a "redneck sheep."

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
What "points", WB?

My point is that --in a world where we have people of every race in the highest offices, where we have a black Barack Obama as president, where Colin Powell was the candidate of choice in 1992, 1996 and 2000 among Republicans if he had chosen to run, where there are multiple other black candidates presently and for more than 20 years, with millions of black professionals in every conceivable field-- that we have been a fully equal society for many years.
And further, it is the bean-counting, race-baiting and condescending pandering to minorities with unequal standards that constantly raises the spectre of past racism that no longer exists.

And your slanderous ad-hominem attacks are a perfect manifestation of the angry, hate-filled, spectre-chasing liberal mindset, that is more about exploiting minorities than actually helping anyone.

You mean your opinion that the whites are right, and everyone else is wrong? Yeah, I saw it. That's what I'm laughing at.

That is how you, in your spiteful intolerant backward narrow-minded liberal mindset would spin it. Because you need someone to hate and demonize to rationalize what you believe.
You operate on a mentality of fear, and anyone who doesn't believe what you believe has to be slandered and tossed into a dismissively labelled group.

I'm the one using reason here. You're the one hurling insults and slanders. In childish defiance, you need to demonize anyone who doesn't believe what you believe.

Like Aussie-Dave said, you have a single, tiny view of the world, and you hold onto it desperately on all occasions.

I would not be surprised at all to find out that you PM'd Aussie-Dave prior, and told him to treat me dismissively, as part of your childish game of treating anyone who disagrees with your Jihadist Liberal Orthodoxy like a leper.
Regardless, you both share the same cowardice, that you would rather slander your opposition and label them "racist" and so forth, rather than have an honest debate.

And even the slightest disagreement or challenge to your antiquated mental house of cards is met with erratic, violent outbursts of name-calling and BOLD CAPS.

Show me where I've bolded or used caps in this topic. Yet another example of how you manufacture and script my words and actions, to fit your false narrative.

Ironic to your characterization of me, it is always you who are all too hysterical.

You carry only the Tea Party line of "us right, you wrong" and, quite frankly, are so close-minded as to not be available to share even the smallest ideas that aren't your own. Thus....

[quote=Wonder Boy]

Do you disagree?

I do.

The Tea Party is --quite opposite all the slanders you allege-- only about
1)reigning in deficit spending and eliminating our federal debt, and
2) reforming Washington into a government that is again responsive to the will of the people and to Constitutional law.

Over and over you make the same baseless slander-filled remarks about the Tea Party, and over and over I keep presenting you with the facts --from a liberal polling group no less!-- that demonstrate the Tea Party is far from a fringe group, and that whether on racial demographics of its members, or on the full range of political and social issues, the Tea Party perfectly mirrors opinion of a majority of Americans, in racial composition, income and class ratios, in their opinion on political issues.

Everything you say about the Tea Party is absolutely, poll-ably, prove-ably statistically, a lie.

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I heard those blood-thirsty scum cheering at the debate for killing and executions. How primitive. How childish. How disgusting. But, the Right is letting them pull them onto the Crazy Highway, so it's just as much their fault as it is the white-trash that makes up the Tea Party. So, fuck them all. And especially those that try to make excuses and apologies for evil like that. Sheep like that are the bottom-feeders that helped Adolf take power....

\:\)

Originally Posted By: WB

Yeah, I'm sure the black members of the Tea Party will be shocked.

Both of them?

Do you ever read an article before you hack out your ignorance?

Or do you just prefer looking like an idiot?

Gallup: Tea Party Members Follow Closely With Mainsteam Population Demographics, in Both Opinion and Racial Statistics

Quote:
PRINCETON, NJ -- Tea Party supporters skew right politically; but demographically, they are generally representative of the public at large. That's the finding of a USA Today/Gallup poll conducted March 26-28, in which 28% of U.S. adults call themselves supporters of the Tea Party movement.

and

As I've pointed out repeatedly in the fact of your uninformed ignorance, Pro, the Tea Party in polls are among the most educated, the most financially successful, and largely have views that are quantifiably (in percentage numbers) almost identical to those of the mainstream of America.
Whether discussing race, class, income, education, or opinion on social issues.

Seriously, Pro.

The facts vs. your slanderous opinionated view of anyone who disagrees with your political biases.

You're so broken it's not even funny.

Just reminding Prometheus what the true facts are regarding the Tea Party. Gallup, by the way, is a left-of-center polling group that you can't easily dismiss as "right-wing hate" or otherwise propaganda.

And by the way, I also quoted your hysteria-laden bolded text.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
NO! NO! WB! HE'S JUST PULLING YOUR CHAIN! STOP!

[/yellow font]

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah

[/yellow font]

Yeah, pretty much. When Pro is humiliated and busted on his apoplectic angry ranting, and fully broken, he can always try to walk it back later, that he was "just kidding" and "pulling my chain".

Yellow and cowardly indeed.

But regardless, he lays on the ground bleeding from every orifice.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
But regardless, he lays on the ground bleeding from every orifice.

that's fucked up, guy.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
The PENIS OF TRUTH knows no orificial sanctity!

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

[/yellow font]

Yellow font? Is that to denote that you're afraid of Pro?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Just making note of Pro's Insurgency roots...

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I don't remember a yellow font. Unless you're talking about the spacebug up your ass.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
As the, admittedly, ashamed former-admin of that group of wankers, I regret to inform you that it was sarcasm orange. All you're doing is reminding Pro of the color of the strip on your back.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Somehow, I still don't think Doc would have got it.

But I'm sure the color resonates with Pro's character all the same, so I won't bother editing.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
\:lol\: When in doubt, try and make it look deliberate, eh, Pariah?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
No. It wasn't deliberate.

Just serendipity.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Or serendipitous, as it were.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I agree that it was serendipitous for you to mistakenly choose the font color that matched the stain on your pants.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The stain on my pants is more of a reddish green. You're probably confusing my pants for Pro's.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
...which, unsurprisingly, would make a great deal of sense.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Is Oakley writing your quips for you now?

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
\:lol\: When in doubt, try and make it look deliberate, eh, Pariah?

No, YOU are!

-Pariah

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I kinda figured that Pro is Oakley considering his cathartic tendencies. In which case, my posts are a tad light on graemlins and conspiracy theories for that to be the case.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
The stain on my pants is more of a reddish green.

You might want to get that checked out by a doctor.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I get by.

After all, it only hurts to piss....And breath.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard