Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Since I don't see the righties acting like they did back than I suggest the two are not comparable. The ATF agent isn't being attacked by conservatives like Plame was for example.

Fair play!
URG Offline
URG am real man!
7500+ posts
URG am real man!
7500+ posts

Noice!

Cave Babes
http://www.robkamphausen.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/824582#Post824582
Cave Drawings
http://www.robkamphausen.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/860036

Some days urg makes me proud to be his friend. Then there are the days that he steals my beer and fucks my woman. Somedays he gets that backwards.-Lothar

"Those were good days. Sitting around the campfires, eating dinosaur meat, and clubbing our wimmens in the head. I dream of those days sometimes. When Urg would make speeches and lead us to victory over the neighboring tribes. Good days, man. Good days." -Grimm
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
Since I don't see the righties acting like they did back than I suggest the two are not comparable. The ATF agent isn't being attacked by conservatives like Plame was for example.

Hair splitting.

The Plame incident was allegedly about the abuse of power by the government in leaking confidential information to punish an employee.

The ATF incident is allegedly about the abuse of power by the government in leaking confidential information to punish an employee.

In neither case is/was the alleged abuse committed by private citizens exercising their first amendment rights in criticizing a government employee.

To be intellectually consistent, if you outraged by the Plame matter, you should be outraged by the latest incident.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
If everythings supposed to be the same than shouldn't the right be consistent too? Where's the defense for the government or the attacks on the ATF agent? Answer that and than I think you answer your first question.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Ahh, the old "Republicans do bad things too" moral equivalency defense, railing on the Plame controversy to mask or somehow excuse the massive scandals under Obama, beginning with "Fast and Furious", and now including the IRS singling out "Tea Party", "Patriot" and other conservative, Baptist, and pro-Israel groups, along with rising evidence of Obama negligence and cover-up in the Benghazi attack, and the authoritarian intimidation by the Dept of Justice in seizing Associated Press records.

Wow, all that Obama abuse is just exactly equalled by mentioning Valerie Plame, isn't it?

The whole thing with outing Plame as a CIA agent is completely bogus. Columnist Robert Novak (R.I.P. now) called an anonymous source to verify a source and answered a yes or no question about Joe Wilson and who sent him on the mission to Niger, and that single yese or no question inadvertantly led to revealing Wilson's wife (who selected him to go to Niger) was an agent for the CIA. That is vastly different from maliciously and deliberately outing Plame. And that unrevealed source was endlessly used by Democrats to slander Scooter libby, Karl Rove and Vice President Cheney.
Before the anonymous source, Richard Armitage, finally revealed himself to be the one who spoke to Novak, and who inadvertantly answered the yes or no question without malicious intent.

But because of the viciousness and deliberate misinformation of Democrats and the liberal media, the slander has been repeated so prevalently that it has become "truth" in the public mind.

None of which diminishes or excuses the massive corruption by the Obama administration. Quite the opposite, the malice of Obama and his thugs represents a consistent pattern of abuse of their power.

I could go on at length with many more examples.

But there is a consistent pattern of harassment, intimidation, and abuse of power by Obama and his thugs, in ways more consistent with the tactics of Mao or Hugo Chavez (who, coincidentally many of Obama's staff openly praise) than with ways of a western democracy.
A pattern that the latest Benghazi, DOJ/AP, and IRS harassment are not an exception to, but a consistent part of.

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy, 7-19-2007
It's still a trumped-up allegation Plame is making against Cheney and others in the Bush administration, of allegedly outing her.

Again, slicing through RAW (and MEM's ) circumnavigation of the truth, if there were any true wrongdoing against Valerie Plame and Joseph Wilson, then the true leaker of Plame's name and CIA employment, Richard Armitage, would be on trial.

But he's not, so there's clearly no wrongdoing.

And what we truly have is an elaborate web of empty allegations by Democrats in Washington and their lackeys, to smear Cheney and other Bush officials.
When in truth, as I said earlier, a public allegation was made by Wilson in a Wall Street Journal editorial, and that obligated Bush officials to respond and question how legitimate and credible (or not) Wilson's mission was.

And investigating the circumstances of how Wilson was chosen (by Plame) for the Niger mission discussed in his editorial, was fair game. It was Wilson himself who made his covert mission public, and Wilson's action gave Robert Novak and other journalists the right and the obligation to investigate every detail of the mission, how Wilson was selected for it (by Plame), and how thorough and credible (or not) Wilson's Niger investigation was.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man

Hair splitting.

The Plame incident was allegedly about the abuse of power by the government in leaking confidential information to punish an employee.

The ATF incident is allegedly about the abuse of power by the government in leaking confidential information to punish an employee.

In neither case is/was the alleged abuse committed by private citizens exercising their first amendment rights in criticizing a government employee.

To be intellectually consistent, if you [are] outraged by the Plame matter, you should be outraged by the latest incident.

The other part that M E M gets wrong is that the ATF guy is a whistle-blower, exposing corruption and flaws in the system to correct them.
But is spun by Obama's people (and M E M) as a traitor betraying secrets for personal gain, or for mercenary criminal sale of information.

But the ACTUAL traitors in Obama's administration (revealing information about the Bin Ladin raid and Seal Team 6, and revealing Israel's plan to bomb Iran's nuclear facilities from secret airfields in Aizerbaijan. Obama National Security staff spilling top-secret information so often that Defense Secretary Gates finally told them to "shut the fuck up!") are not punished, only the whistle-blowers who are PORTRAYED as traitors.

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
Ahh, the old "Republicans do bad things too" moral equivalency defense, ...

It's not a defense WB. G-man brought up the comparison with his post. As you may have noticed he's saying the two deals with the agents are pretty much the same. Read a couple of posts above this and you can see it wasn't me that brought up the comparison.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
...But is spun by Obama's people (and M E M) as a traitor betraying secrets for personal gain, or for mercenary criminal sale of information.

Where did I spin this guy as a traitor? Nowhere did I say one bad thing about him. What makes it ok in your book to do that stuff?

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
You're being ridiculous, M E M.

G-Man resurrected this topic (dormant for almost 4 years prior) with this post:

Fast and Furious: U.S. Attorney sought to discredit agent by leaking documents

I'm sure all the lefties who were having a nervous breakdown about Valerie plame are going to be coming along any minute now to blast the Obama administration for this.

Your response:

A moral equivalency argument.

And by the way, Democrats have been doing everything in their power to discredit the "Fast and Furious" whistleblower, to ruin his reputation so he wouldn't be believed.
By leaking information.

At least in the case of Valerie Plame (as I detailed above) it was an error by Richard Armitage, answering open-ended questions in a phone interview by columnist Robert Novak. And not a deliberate and malicious attempt to betray or discredit someone. From what I've read, Armitage never imagined his answers to open-ended questions could have revealed Plame's identity. Not that it endangered Plame, who was not a field agent (although it conceivably could have revealed other covert agents and informants connected to Plame).

You have repeatedly labelled Bush officials traitorous for revealing Plame's identity, despite the source and nature of that questionable leak being fully revealed.

And yet don't hold the Obama administration to the same standard, even when they deliberately --treasonously--- revealed top-secret details of the Bin Ladin raid and Seal Team 6.
And how Obama's White House security staff (if not Obama himself) deliberately revealed --and pre-emptively ruined-- a top-secret Israeli attack plan on Iran from airfields in Aizerbaijan.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
And by the way, the Obama administration's DOJ (which you reflexively fully defend) did call James Rosen a "co-conspirator" (i.e., a traitor) for simply doing his job as an investigative reporter.

I trust Fox News (while investigating and uncovering top secret operations worldwide) not to reveal them in an irresponsible way. That said, it is Rosen's job to uncover news that the Obama administration (or any administration) doesn't want revealed, and hold them accountable.
James Rosen is not an appointed government official who is sworn to defend our nation's secrets. His sources are, and Rosen should not be indicted as a co-conspirator for simply doing his job as an investigative reporter.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
You're being ridiculous, M E M.

G-Man resurrected this topic (dormant for almost 4 years prior) with this post:

Fast and Furious: U.S. Attorney sought to discredit agent by leaking documents

I'm sure all the lefties who were having a nervous breakdown about Valerie plame are going to be coming along any minute now to blast the Obama administration for this.

Your response:

A moral equivalency argument.

So? G-man expects "lefties" to act like they did back when Rove was continously altering his sworn testimony and Liddy was obstructing justice. If the two scenarios are indeed that much the same you need to explain why the right isn't acting like it did back than. The only constant I see is the same partisans conservatives hating the other side.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
...But is spun by Obama's people (and M E M) as a traitor betraying secrets for personal gain, or for mercenary criminal sale of information.

Where did I spin this guy as a traitor? Nowhere did I say one bad thing about him. What makes it ok in your book to do that stuff?

When you say demonstratably false things like this you might want to consider saying sorry.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
White House mistakenly identifies CIA chief in Afghanistan
  • The CIA’s top officer in Kabul was exposed Saturday by the White House when his name was inadvertently included on a list provided to news organizations of senior U.S. officials participating in President Obama’s surprise visit with U.S. troops.

The White House recognized the mistake and quickly issued a revised list that did not include the individual, who had been identified on the initial release as the “Chief of Station” in Kabul, a designation used by the CIA for its highest-ranking spy in a country.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
"mistake."

Sure, JQ, Suuuuuure.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
thanks for digging up this thread though! good memories...

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
White House mistakenly identifies CIA chief in Afghanistan
  • The CIA’s top officer in Kabul was exposed Saturday by the White House when his name was inadvertently included on a list provided to news organizations of senior U.S. officials participating in President Obama’s surprise visit with U.S. troops.

The White House recognized the mistake and quickly issued a revised list that did not include the individual, who had been identified on the initial release as the “Chief of Station” in Kabul, a designation used by the CIA for its highest-ranking spy in a country.

This is the single closest situation to the Valerie Plame outing. And is yet another example of selective liberal outrage, and minimal reporting, when it is a Democrat administration who did the leaking, and arguably put a lot more people at risk.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Considering Plame wasn't a field operative at the time this arguably far worse

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:

Karl Rove Whitewashes His Role In Outing CIA Agent
Blog ››› 6 hours and 53 minutes ago ››› ERIC HANANOKI
Print Email

Fox News contributor Karl Rove exploited the Obama administration's accidental exposure of a CIA operative's identity to absolve his own culpability in deliberately leaking former CIA operative Valerie Plame's identity during the Bush administration.

Over the weekend, the name of the CIA's top officer in Kabul, Afghanistan, was "inadvertently included on a list provided to news organizations of senior U.S. officials participating in President Obama's surprise visit with U.S. troops. The White House recognized the mistake and quickly issued a revised list."

During the May 27 broadcast of Fox News Radio's Kilmeade & Friends, host Brian Kilmeade discussed the story and remarked: "You think Valerie Plame's a big deal, fine. She's at the -- she's at a desk job in the CIA. What about a guy in one of the most dangerous jobs in the world?"

Plame is a former CIA operative whose identify was leaked by Karl Rove and others in the Bush administration as payback for an opinion piece that her husband, Joe Wilson, wrote rebutting Bush's case for invading Iraq.

Rove -- who was a senior adviser and deputy chief of staff to President Bush -- responded on Kilmeade's show by claiming Plame "was not an active agent" and that he "didn't know her name. All I'd heard was the rumor that Wilson's wife had, at the CIA, had helped send him to Niger":

ROVE: Right. Well look, one point. Valerie Plame was not covered by the statue that you bring up. She was not an active agent. She was legally outside the law, and that's why there was no action taken by the special prosecutor against anybody who had mentioned her name. And I, for example, didn't know her name. All I'd heard was the rumor that Wilson's wife had, at the CIA, had helped send him to Niger. But you're right.

Rove's claim that Plame "was not an active agent" and Kilmeade's description of Plame as just having "a desk job" are false. Special counsel Patrick Fitzgerald, who lead the Plame leaks investigation, concluded that she traveled "overseas on official business" and "was a covert employee for whom the CIA was taking affirmative measures to conceal her intelligence relationship to the United States." Plame herself testified in 2007 to the House Government and Oversight Committee: "In the run-up to the war with Iraq, I worked in the Counterproliferation Division of the CIA, still as a covert officer whose affiliation with the CIA was classified."

Rove's excuse that he "didn't know" Plame's "name" is also a dishonest -- and frequently used -- dodge of his. Rove leaked to the press that Wilson's wife worked for the CIA and thus exposed her covert identity. Specifically, Rove was one of two sources for the late Robert Novak's 2003 column outing Plame. Former Time magazine reporter Matthew Cooper also named Rove as the source who identified Wilson's wife as a CIA agent during a telephone conversation.

Rove has regularly attempted to offer a dishonest accounting of the Plame scandal. Former Newsweek reporter Michael Isikoff noted that Rove wrote a "highly selective (and at times blatantly distorted) version of the events that got him into trouble" in his ironically titled 2010 book Courage and Consequence.

Fox & Friends -- co-hosted by Kilmeade -- similarly used the Obama administration's serious, but accidental, recent release of the CIA Chief of Station's name to draw a false equivalence to the Bush administration's purposeful leak of Plame's identify.

Media Matters

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Valerie Plame, ex-intelligence officials slam White House for 'astonishing' CIA leak

Quote:
Former intelligence officials are speaking out about the disastrous mistake by the White House Press Office to publish the name of a CIA operative in Afghanistan.

"It looks like a rookie mistake, but it's in year six of the administration," retired Air Force Gen. Michael Hayden and former CIA director told Newsmax, after Obama’s press team inadvertently listed the spy on Obama’s itinerary for his four hour trip to Afghanistan on Sunday.

"This is not the president's first trip overseas," former House Intelligence Chairman Pete Hoekstra (R-Mich.) added.

"He's now nearly six years into his presidency, and for an 'experienced' staff to be making these kinds of mistakes is pretty inexcusable."

Valerie Plame, the ex-CIA operative outed by the W. Bush administration, also chimed in.

“Astonishing: White House mistakenly identifies CIA chief in Afghanistan,” she tweeted in a sardonic message on Monday.

The name of the CIA’s chief of station in Kabul, the agency’s top spy in Afghanistan, was listed among the 15 officials briefing Obama upon his arrival at Bagram Air Base.

The White House only caught the error when Washington Post reporter Scott Wilson alerted the press office, after Obama’s schedule was included in an email that was circulated to as many as 6,000 members of the media.

With little recourse after the sensitive information was already out in the open, the press office issued a revised schedule without the officer’s name.

The White House has not yet commented on the mistake but requested that news agencies not publish the individual’s name.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
so what happens now, is that CIA Chief now in danger?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
if he is working in a diplomatic function they could persona-non-grata him and force the US to send him home. that's about the worst of it, though. the movies aren't very realistic when it comes to how the lives of real-life intelligence officers are pretty near identical to any other desk job.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
So, if Rove lied, why wasn't he prosecuted for perjury ala Scooter Libby?

Answer: media matter is making shit up. Again.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Considering Plame wasn't a field operative at the time this arguably far worse

Valerie Plame, ex-intelligence officials, slam White House for 'astonishing' CIA leak:
  • Former intelligence officials are speaking out about the disastrous mistake by the White House Press Office to publish the name of a CIA operative in Afghanistan.

"It looks like a rookie mistake, but it's in year six of the administration," retired Air Force Gen. Michael Hayden and former CIA director told Newsmax, after Obama’s press team inadvertently listed the spy on Obama’s itinerary for his four hour trip to Afghanistan on Sunday.

"This is not the president's first trip overseas," former House Intelligence Chairman Pete Hoekstra (R-Mich.) added.

"He's now nearly six years into his presidency, and for an 'experienced' staff to be making these kinds of mistakes is pretty inexcusable."

Valerie Plame, the ex-CIA operative outed by the W. Bush administration, also chimed in.

“Astonishing: White House mistakenly identifies CIA chief in Afghanistan,” she tweeted in a sardonic message on Monday.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts

George-"Hi,Karl,do you want to see my new socks?"

Karl-" God Damn It,,George,we just told everyone you were out of the country and couldn't be reached for comment!"

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Flashback: Obama Calls Plame Leak a Crime, Calls for Congressional Investigation.

Saying "a republican did it first" now could be problematic if you've already said its a crime

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
So Obama should vow to fire anybody involved with the leaking just like Bush?

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Novak confirms Rove was one of his sources in outing Plame
Updated 7/13/2006 4:58 AM ET E-mail | Print |

WASHINGTON (AP) — Now that Karl Rove won't be indicted, now that the president won't fire him, now that it really doesn't matter anymore, more details of the Valerie Plame leak investigation trickle out.

In his latest syndicated column released Wednesday, columnist Robert Novak revealed his side of the story in the Plame affair, saying Rove was a confirming source for Novak's story outing the CIA officer, underscoring Rove's role in a leak President Bush once promised to punish.

usatoday.com

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
McClellan points finger at Bush, Rove

By MIKE ALLEN & MICHAEL CALDERONE | 11/20/07 1:05 PM EST
Updated: 11/21/07 7:34 AM EST

Former White House press secretary Scott McClellan names names in a caustic passage from a forthcoming memoir that accuses President Bush, Karl Rove and Vice President Cheney of being "involved" in his giving the press false information about the CIA leak case.

McClellan’s publisher released three paragraphs from the book “WHAT HAPPENED: Inside the Bush White House and What’s Wrong With Washington.”

The excerpts give no details about the alleged involvement of the president or vice president.

But McClellan lists five top officials as having allowed him inadvertently to mislead the public.

“I stood at the White house briefing room podium in front of the glare of the klieg lights for the better part of two weeks and publicly exonerated two of the seniormost aides in the White House: Karl Rove and Scooter Libby,” McClellan wrote.

“There was one problem. It was not true.”

McClellan then absolves himself and makes an inflammatory — and potentially lucrative for his publisher — charge.

“I had unknowingly passed along false information,” McClellan wrote.
See Also

“And five of the highest ranking officials in the administration were involved in my doing so: Rove, Libby, the vice president, the president's chief of staff and the president himself."

McClellan says he was in that position because he trusted the president: "The most powerful leader in the world had called upon me to speak on his behalf and help restore credibility he lost amid the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.”

Shortly after news of the McClellan excerpt broke, Politico caught up with Judith Miller and Matthew Cooper, two reporters who received information about Valerie Plame’s identity and were caught up in the subsequent legal proceedings.

“You’re only as good as your sources,” Miller, who was a reporter at the New York Times when the imbroglio broke, said with a mischievous laugh.

Miller, now an adjunct fellow at the Manhattan Institute, spent 85 days in jail by not revealing her source. “Nothing surprises me about Washington during this administration anymore,” she said.

Cooper, who was a White House correspondent for Time magazine and is now the Washington bureau chief of Portfolio magazine, said he “was always frustrated that Rove and Libby misled McClellan.”

“I’m glad McClellan is, too,” Cooper said.

McClellan, who is still writing the book, declined to comment further.

In recent conversations and in his many public speaking engagements, McClellan has made it clear he retains great affection for the president.

But White House sources have long said that Rove and I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby, the vice president’s chief of staff, allowed McClellan to suggest day after day that they had no involvement in the publication of the name of CIA operative Valerie Plame.

politico.com

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
So Obama should vow to fire anybody involved with the leaking just like Bush?

Originally Posted By: the G -man
Saying "a republican did it first" now could be problematic if you've already said its a crime

It's equally problematic to excuse Obama's actions by saying "Bush did it too" if you're on record saying what Bush did was wrong and Bush was a bad president.

the G-man #1212571 2014-05-29 10:18 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
False equivalency. This looks to be an accidental leak. I doubt any reporters have secret sources like Rove to be uncovered in this.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
False equivalency. This looks to be an accidental leak.

The Intelligence Identities Protection Act makes it a crime if someone:
  • intentionally discloses any information identifying such covert agent to any individual not authorized to receive classified information, knowing that the information disclosed so identifies such covert agent and that the United States is taking affirmative measures to conceal such covert agent’s intelligence relationship to the United States, shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 15 years, or both..

The disclosure — that is, the publishing of the name — was intentional. The name was placed right there next to the title of the post in Afghanistan. Name, post. What the law does not require is malice, evil intention, desire to harm, or the effect of actual harm. Just the intent to disclose, which exists. And the rest of the statute was obviously violated, since the Chief was covert, he or she was taking measures to stay covert, and the press who received the disclosure was not authorized to receive it.

Note that while there are defenses for disclosing — some of which were used in the Plame affair — none of them apply here. And while you read them over, notice that “we’re incompetent” is not a valid defense to the charge.

You need to be consistent. if you believed that disclosing the identity of a covert agent (who wasn't even in the field) was worth a special counsel then, it is now (when the agent actually was in the field),

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I think it's fairly obvious that the intent wasn't to blow somebody's covert status.
However if there's some counterpart to the Obama's administration like Rove who ran around to multiple reporters talking about a covert agent I do think they should be held legally accountable.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
The disclosure — that is, the publishing of the name — was intentional. The name was placed right there next to the title of the post in Afghanistan. Name, post. What the law does not require is malice, evil intention, desire to harm, or the effect of actual harm. Just the intent to disclose, which exists. And the rest of the statute was obviously violated, since the Chief was covert, he or she was taking measures to stay covert, and the press who received the disclosure was not authorized to receive it.

If you want to say that you think the law should be rewritten so the above does not apply, that's a reasonable position. But you can't rewrite the law in your own mind just to excuse it when someone in a democrat administration breaks it.

You might also consider attempting to explain why if Rove is guilty of something he was not only never convicted but never even prosecuted.

Otherwise you're just blowing smoke to try and excuse Obama's latest bungle

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I don't think a change in the law would be reasonable. If somebody knowingly outed a CIA agent than they deserve to be punished. Did that happen in this case though?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Re: MEM's question:

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
That could have still happened by accident though. The person that included the name messed up but I doubt they intended to blow somebody's cover. If the investigation turns up something though it should be investigated deeper.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Again, you are redefining the word to suit your agenda. Right or wrong it means what I said it meant. If you don't like that definition the remedy is a change in the law.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Novak confirms Rove was one of his sources in outing Plame
Updated 7/13/2006 4:58 AM ET E-mail | Print |

WASHINGTON (AP) — Now that Karl Rove won't be indicted, now that the president won't fire him, now that it really doesn't matter anymore, more details of the Valerie Plame leak investigation trickle out.

In his latest syndicated column released Wednesday, columnist Robert Novak revealed his side of the story in the Plame affair, saying Rove was a confirming source for Novak's story outing the CIA officer, underscoring Rove's role in a leak President Bush once promised to punish.

usatoday.com

We've been over this before.

Rove's total involvement was Novak having an informal phone conversation with Rove, and mentioning rumors that Ambassador Wilson was selected for the Niger yellow-cake investigation by his wife, and Rove saying "yeah, I heard that too".

That's saying "yep" to gossip, not Rove offering sources or naming names. It's really vile the lengths that you and others on the Left go to smear Rove and other Republicans. Especially coupled with the way you give a free pass to far more blatantly treasonous actions by the Democrats you fly cover for.

Wonder Boy #1212592 2014-05-30 3:50 PM
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plame_affair#Karl_Rove

Quote:
On July 2, 2005, Rove's lawyer, Robert Luskin, confirmed that Rove spoke to Time reporter Matt Cooper "three or four days" before Plame's identity was first revealed in print by commentator Robert Novak. Cooper's article in Time, citing unnamed and anonymous "government officials," confirmed Plame to be a "CIA official who monitors the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction." Cooper's article appeared three days after Novak's column was published. Rove's lawyer asserted that Rove "never knowingly disclosed classified information" and that "he did not tell any reporter that Valerie Plame worked for the CIA."[73][74][75] Luskin also has said that his client did not initiate conversations with reporters about Plame and did not encourage reporters to write about her.[76]

Initially, Rove failed to tell the grand jury about his conversations with Cooper. According to Rove, he only remembered he had spoken to Cooper after discovering a July 11, 2003, White House e-mail that Rove had written to then-deputy National Security advisor Stephen J. Hadley in which Rove said he had spoken to Cooper about the Niger controversy. Luskin also testified before the grand jury. He told prosecutors that Time reporter Viveca Novak had told him prior to Rove's first grand jury appearance that she had heard from colleagues at Time that Rove was one of the sources for Cooper's story about Plame. Luskin in turn said that he told Rove about this, though Rove still did not disclose to the grand jury that he had ever spoken to Cooper about Plame. Viveca Novak testified she couldn't recall when she spoke to Luskin. Rove testified a total of five times before the federal grand jury investigating the leak. After Rove's last appearance, Luskin released a statement that read in part: "In connection with this appearance, the special counsel has advised Mr. Rove that he is not a target of the investigation. Mr. Fitzgerald has affirmed that he has made no decision concerning charges."[69][77]

Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard