Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
OP Offline
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
since we seem to enjoy slapping labels on each other so often in this forum, I thought it'd be helpful to find some sort of external resource by which we might actually be able to quantitatively assess where exactly we really do fit into the political spectrum. this has been attempted in this forum before; however, navigating through older posts to try and unearth previous discussions is basically strolling through a shitstorm museum, so I'll attempt to start fresh here. I found three separate quizzes on three separate sites that each use a two-axis (at least) model rather than the simple single-axis "left/right" bullshit that's always irritated me. all three quizzes seem to date from the last presidential election and could probably use an overhaul in the areas of economic intervention and gay rights, but thus far they're the least awful political alignment quizzes I've been able to find.

1.) the political compass: looks like its last major overhaul was for the 2008 general elections, but to their credit the developers of this site claim they're trying to stick to a bigger picture - and a more international focus - despite election-to-election shifts of platforms and ideologies within the US. as such, they might come across to posters here as a little left of center (they seemed to strike me that way), but it's a nice conversation starter to see where you fall on a more global map of political opinion. visually it seems the least confusing of the three as well, which is nice.

my results:

2.) politopia: created by the institute for humane studies at george mason, this particular quiz seems to concentrate a little more on civil liberties and the social axis than on economic matters, which isn't too surprising given the source. all the same, it's a nice change of pace from other political alignment measurement systems, at least visually. (social intervention increases with x, economic intervention increases with y - almost the mirror image of the previous site!) as with the other two, david nolan's work forms the basis of the axes of alignment, but each 'region' (nine, rather than the four quadrants as above) receives even-handed treatment in its description and list of 'residents'.

my results:

3.) world's smallest political quiz: created by advocates for self-government, this quiz has a decidedly more libertarian bent to it but still manages to treat each sector of its political spectrum objectively. this time around there are five regions, basically adding a 'centrist' catch-all to the four quadrants of the first political spectrum chart. the quiz itself has been updated since 1995 and didn't seem too unrealistic, though in order to accomplish this it felt like the questions had to be made a little more vague.

my results:

all of which tells me I am slightly to the right of center and somewhere between libertarian and conservative, which doesn't really surprise me all that much. anyway, you guys should take at least one of these - you might be surprised how close together a lot of you really are.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
I did take the Politopia quiz two-three years ago; I should perhaps do it again to see if I've changed.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I took the politopia quiz and this is the result I got:

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
OP Offline
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
I took the politopia quiz and this is the result I got:

someone's clearly a filthy liberal pinko!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Responses from last time.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
OP Offline
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Responses from last time.

thanks. I wonder how much the tests have been edited in the last 2 years. I also wonder how many of us have changed our minds about a few things in that span of time.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
OP Offline
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
also, since a lot of people questioned the structure of the first political compass quiz in that other thread, I thought it'd be helpful to link to the other two in case people like their results more.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
Took all 3 for the heck of it, my results-

Yeah....

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
[img]http://www.theadvocates.org/images/bd/quiz/red_dots/100_100.gif?1319160719[/img]

[img]http://www.politopia.com/image.php?P1=9&E1=11[/img]

[img]http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=2.62&soc=-3.49[/img]

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Apparently, it didn't work to just copy and paste the pics. Anyway, results were 100% libertarian on world's smallest political quiz. The Northwest on Politopia and 2.62 (economic) and -3.49 social on the compass.

You can copy and paste the image address to see 'em. To be clear on Politopia, my star is almost right over the w in Northwest.

Compared to last time, I'm just becoming more and more an anarchist. ;\)

Last edited by iggy; 2011-11-07 9:04 PM.
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Online Cool
15000+ posts

I guess I'm Liberal. http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz_result?e=10&i=60_10.gif&p=60

Quote:

Liberals usually embrace freedom of choice in personal matters, but tend to support significant government control of the economy. They generally support a government-funded "safety net" to help the disadvantaged, and advocate strict regulation of business. Liberals tend to favor environmental regulations, defend civil liberties and free expression, support government action to promote equality, and tolerate diverse lifestyles.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sweden
I did take the Politopia quiz two-three years ago; I should perhaps do it again to see if I've changed.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=-4.62&soc=-4.67

Quote:
Centerville-You would feel most at home in Centerville, which means that you are more or less pleased the status quo-you think the US government has just about the right amount of control over your economic and personal decisions. Your neighbors include democratic and republican party leaders and others who call themselves "moderates" and "centrists."

Not different from last time.

Quote:
Your PERSONAL issues Score is 30%

Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 40%

According to your answers, the political group that agrees with you most is...

Centrist prefer a "middle ground" regarding government control of the economy and personal behavior. Depending on the issue, they sometimes favor government intervention and sometimes support individual freedom of choice. Centrists pride themselves on keeping an open mind, tend to oppose "political extremes," and emphasize what they describe as "practical" solutions to problems.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
COMMUNAZI!!!!

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I'm still pretty much in the Ghandi spot that I was in last time. The shorter test put me as a left leaning centrist.

Fair play!
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Quote:
NW-You would feel most at home in the Northwest region. You advocate a large degree of economic and personal freedom. Your neighbors include folks like Ayn Rand, Jesse Ventura, Milton Friedman, and Drew Carey, and may refer to themselves as "classical liberals," "libertarians," "market liberals," "old whigs," "objectivists," "propertarians," "agorists," or "anarcho-capitalist."

Looks like I'm a Dalai Lama Libertarian. Who knew?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Captain Sammitch happy User returning cheapion
15000+ posts 14 minutes 52 seconds ago Reading a post
Forum: Politics and Current Events
Thread: these may have been posted before but go look at them anyway...

Phil's having a hard time believing it, as well...

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
OP Offline
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I had you pegged for a commie for sure!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
OP Offline
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
actually I was trying to gather everyone's data to compile a master chart and plot all the usual posters on it eventually.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Sounds like something old Director Hoover would do. You're not secretly cross-dressing dear Captain Sammitch?

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Sammitch's love for cross-dressing is not a secret

15000+ posts
Online Cool
15000+ posts
He got SoM hooked on it.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
OP Offline
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
so it was actually more like our little secret. for a while. \:\(

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Loth--I mean, Wonder Boy, should take the test...

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
one of the quizzes pegged me as a Libertarian, which is complete bull because I hate books!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
No, that means you like fucking Librarians...

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Incidentally, J. Edgar Hoover was a librarian too.

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Your political compass:
Economic Left/Right: 1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21

(graph image: )
http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=1.00&soc=0.21

Wow. Ever so slightly center-right. (However reliable the test is.)

Quote:
3) http://www.theadvocates.org/images/bd/quiz/red_dots/70_70.gif?1319160719

Apparently I'm more libertarian than I gave myself credit for. In the last 10 years, I've come to see foreign military action as less necessary and having further consequences than intended, I've seen a few police and public officials abuse their authority (while most I respect as dedicated) and therefore am less trusting of government and police to always do the right thing. And I've seen that private funding (as opposed to federal funding) tends to make our institutions more responsive to the will of the people. So in these respects I can see the shift to a more libertarian position to be correct.

Not that Pro or the other liberal nutjobs here would ever acknowledge that.

(edited several times to take and add the 3 tests)

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Wonder Boy content User mighty weilder of the Penis of Truth
7500+ posts 3 minutes 14 seconds ago Reading a post
Forum: Politics and Current Events
Thread: these may have been posted before but go look at them anyway...

Link Copied to Clipboard