Print Thread
Page 7 of 31 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 30 31
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
So, again, no concept of justice at all.

Correct.

I know the pictures that were shown on TV were of a 14 year-old; but you do know that Martin was a 17 year-old, right? Someone a year or less away from being able to vote and decide to pick up a gun to kill in the name of national defense is hardly someone I'd classify as a 'kid' or 'child'. I'm not saying that it's not possible that Zimmerman is a cold blooded murder; but I do think we need to wait until all the facts, not speculations from either side are in, before we jump to a conclusion. Have we not learned our lesson from the Duke Lacrosse case?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Or Richard Jewell. This is a media driven trial. The media doctored the phone calls and the video. He might as well be hung. Its a shame that people like pro and mem are slaves to their own perceived realities.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Guilty white people are so butt hurt over slavery that they think every black person is innocent no matter what. All they care about is race, not the actual individual. These people are complete scum. They are the true racists.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
rex, can you not read? Pro has undeniable proof that Zimmerman is a racist. As we all know, whenever that word is brought into use, any and all facts to the contrary cannot exist.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Unarmed kids should not be murdered. Call me old-fashioned.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
He might as well be hung.

Since Trayvon was a tall african american, I think it's safe to say that he is.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
So, again, no concept of justice at all.

Correct.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I just caught some of the rerun of the arrest announcement by the special prosecutor.

Granted, I did so on "Jon Stewart."

However, and all traffic court jokes aside, speaking as someone who has actually been a prosecutor, watching that woman grin through the announcement was chilling.

You do not take joy in something like that. There is dead kid and a man facing life in prison.

I hope I'm wrong but everything about her demeanor was 'shameless camera whore,' and not 'ethical public servant.'

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
Sometimes bad laws don't thwart justice. We're not in the clear yet though since I suspect Zimmerman will try to make use of it in his defense.

Also I wonder since the cops said they were not charging him because of the "stand your ground" law if that also affected the initial investigation.

From the way I've understood the 'stand your ground' law, it's not an automatic out for killing someone. There will now be a pretrial hearing to determine if there is enough evidence to substantiate the claim of self-defense. The cops may have misapplied the law, but that's bad police work and not necessarily a bad law.

What part of the law did the police not follow when you say they "misapplied"?

Quote:
At least you're now being more honest about your prejudice in this case. You were never waiting for justice. You've just been waiting for a conviction.

Of course I want justice. Based on the evidence at hand I have an opinion but that certainly can change based on the evidence.

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Sometimes bad laws don't thwart justice. We're not in the clear yet though since I suspect Zimmerman will try to make use of it in his defense.

Also I wonder since the cops said they were not charging him because of the "stand your ground" law if that also affected the initial investigation.

From the way I've understood the 'stand your ground' law, it's not an automatic out for killing someone. There will now be a pretrial hearing to determine if there is enough evidence to substantiate the claim of self-defense. The cops may have misapplied the law, but that's bad police work and not necessarily a bad law.

What part of the law did the police not follow when you say they "misapplied"?

The police aren't supposed to make the determination if the law applies in the situation or not. That's supposed to be done by the courts if the defendant decides to use it as a defense for his/her actions. The police were supposed to follow normal procedures (take suspect into custody and perform sobriety test, etc.). They fucked up.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

WHERE'S THE 'PROBABLE CAUSE' ?
The affidavit in the Zimmerman case fails to justify a second-degree-murder charge.

Quote:

By John R. Lott Jr.
April 13, 2012

The charges brought against George Zimmerman sure look like prosecutorial misconduct. The case as put forward by the prosecutor in the “affidavit of probable cause” is startlingly weak. As a former chief economist at the U.S. Sentencing Commission, I have read a number of such affidavits, and cannot recall one lacking so much relevant information.

The prosecutor has most likely deliberately overcharged, hoping to intimidate Zimmerman into agreeing to a plea bargain. If this case goes to trial, Zimmerman will almost definitely be found “not guilty” on the charge of second-degree murder.

The prosecutor wasn’t required to go to the grand jury for the indictment, but the fact that she didn’t in such a high-profile case is troubling. Everyone knows how easy it is for a prosecutor to get a grand jury to indict, because only the prosecutor presents evidence. A grand-jury indictment would have provided political cover; that charges were brought without one means that the prosecutor was worried that a grand jury would not give her the indictment.

The affidavit consists of six main points:

● Zimmerman was upset about all “the break-ins in his neighborhood” and expressed anger at how criminals “always get away.”

● According to a discussion with Trayvon Martin’s girlfriend, who said that she was talking to Martin before the attack, Zimmerman followed Martin. He did so despite the police operator’s saying “we don’t need you to do that.”

● Zimmerman “confronted Martin and a struggle ensued,” though no evidence is cited on this point.

● Trayvon Martin’s mother identified the voice crying for help on a 9-1-1 call as her son’s.

● Zimmerman shot Martin in the chest, and this is confirmed by both Zimmerman’s statement and ballistics tests.

● Martin died from the gunshot wound.

Note some of the points that are missing. The prosecution doesn’t claim Zimmerman had racial animus against blacks. There was no “f***ing coons” on the police call. Some extremely relevant information from the police report is completely excluded: There is no mention of the grass and wetness found on the back of Zimmerman’s shirt, the gashes on the back of his head, the bloody nose, or the other witnesses who saw Martin on top of Zimmerman, beating him, before the shot was fired. There is not even an attempt to say that the police report was in error; instead the affidavit just disregards it.

Even if everything in the affidavit is correct, it does not even begin to deal with the most crucial question: Who attacked whom? Even if it is true that “Zimmerman confronted Martin and a struggle ensued,” there may have been no wrongdoing on Zimmerman’s part. “Confronted” does not mean “provoked” or “assaulted.” It could simply mean that Zimmerman followed Martin and asked him what he was doing in the neighborhood. Surely Zimmerman had the right to investigate a strange person in his neighborhood. The police operator’s advice that “we don’t need you to do that” was merely suggestive, not an order to stop. Indeed, the police had no authority to give Zimmerman such an order.

Now take the charge of “second degree” murder. There is no way that the affidavit justifies such a charge. In Florida, second-degree murder is defined as “the unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual.” But if Zimmerman was being beaten, there was no “depraved mind regardless of human life,” and the act “imminently dangerous to another” would be justified as self-defense.

Angela Corey, the special prosecutor who filed charges, claimed multiple times on Wednesday that the prosecutors “are seekers of the truth.” In our legal system, grand juries can sometimes provide a check on prosecutors who indict based on political pressure or the desire to seek the limelight. It is no surprise that Corey avoided the grand jury.

That's what it looks like. They didn't have a case, so they made a show-arrest to appease the black community and discourage potential large-scale riots.

But that didn't make a difference in 1992 after the four police officers were exonerated in the Rodney King beating either. The likes of Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Maxine Waters will exploit emotions regardless, as soon as the verdict is read.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
It wasn't really a surprise this didn't go to a grand jury because I think I read that this prosecutor has never done that. BTW this attack on the prosecutor as seeking the limelight is so predictable. No way is she not going to go through this with many wanting her head on a stick.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
No way is [the prosecutor] not going to go through this with many wanting her head on a stick.

Which would be a violation of attorney ethics. A prosecutor cannot charge someone simply because he or she fears a (literal or metaphorical) impaling. They need evidence of they are violating the rules of attorney conduct.

Originally Posted By: the G-man
I just caught some of the rerun of the arrest announcement by the special prosecutor...I hope I'm wrong but everything about her demeanor was 'shameless camera whore,' and not 'ethical public servant.'

ABC News: a photograph showing the bloodied back of Zimmerman's head was apparently taken three minutes after he shot and killed Martin. The photo could give credence to Zimmerman's claim that Martin had bashed his head against the concrete as Zimmerman fought for his life.

Dershowitz Blasts Zimmerman Prosecution: 'Not Only Immoral, But Stupid
  • With ABC News’ release of the George Zimmerman photo showing blood flowing freely from his head, the question becomes whether Angela Corey, the prosecutor in the case, had access to the photo before charging Zimmerman with second-degree murder.

The arrest affidavit did not mention the photograph, or the bleeding, gashes, and bruises on Zimmermans’ head. Professor Alan Dershowitz of Harvard Law School stated upon release of the arrest affidavit that it was “so thin that it won’t make it past a judge on a second degree murder charge … everything in the affidavit is completely consistent with a defense of self-defense.”

After the release of the photo, however, Dershowitz went much further, telling Breitbart News that if the prosecutors did have the photo and didn’t mention it in the affidavit, that would constitute a “grave ethical violation,” since affidavits are supposed to contain “all relevant information.”

Dershowitz continued, “An affidavit that willfully misstates undisputed evidence known to the prosecution is not only unethical but borders on perjury because an affiant swears to tell not only the truth, but the whole truth, and suppressing an important part of the whole truth is a lie."

When asked if it made a difference whether the prosecution had the bloody photograph at the time they charged Zimmerman, Dershowitz responded, “We do know that there were earlier photographs before the affidavit was done that strongly suggested blood on the back of the head, and we know the police had first access to him, so if there was blood they [the prosecution] would know about it …

"I've had cases in Florida against prosecutors,” Dershowitz said, “and this is not the first time they have willfully omitted exculpatory evidence. It's a continuing problem. Here, it’s not only immoral, but stupid. The whole country is watching. What do they benefit from having half-truths in an affidavit?"

Dershowitz added, "I'm not taking sides, but I'm insisting that both sides play by the rules, and so far the prosecution is not playing by the rules."

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
It does seem like he's taking sides. Even the most minor of head wounds can bleed heavy. Nor does it prove that Zimmerman killed Martin in purely in self defense.

Fair play!
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
"www.brietbart.com"? Nice objectivity, G-Man. Why not just use FOX News and get it over with?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
It does seem like he's taking sides. Even the most minor of head wounds can bleed heavy. Nor does it prove that Zimmerman killed Martin in purely in self defense.

It's not a question of "proving" self defense. It's a question of prosecutorial ethics.

Under the US Supreme Court's "Brady v Maryland" ruling a prosecutor has an ethical duty to disclose exculpatory evidence. A prosecutor also has an ethical duty of "fair dealing" to the accused.

Dershowitz, a liberal BTW, is simply pointing out that a prosecutor who fails to act ethically both undermines the rights of the accused and causes people to lose faith in the ultimate outcome.

Do you really think expecting a DA to do his or her job ethically is "taking sides"?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: G-Man
It's a question of prosecutorial ethics.

Why do you think this is a Law School Blog Website? Common sense and actual ethical morality can always trump any lawyer technicality in the most basic and honest ways. It's simple: Ethical Morality is Truth, and Lawyers Lie. See?

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
If Dershowitz isn't taking sides why is he assuming they had the photograph when he doesn't know? Plus this statement that he makes here isn't impartial at all...
"I've had cases in Florida against prosecutors,” Dershowitz said, “and this is not the first time they have willfully omitted exculpatory evidence. It's a continuing problem. Here, it’s not only immoral, but stupid. The whole country is watching. What do they benefit from having half-truths in an affidavit?"

Again he doesn't know if they had the photo but he's already declared the prosecution of being guilty.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
According to the original ABC article, the investigators have seen the photo.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Why do you think this is a Law School Blog Website? Common sense and actual ethical morality can always trump any lawyer technicality in the most basic and honest ways. It's simple: Ethical Morality is Truth, and Lawyers Lie. See?

You're again attacking G-man in a cowardly way --repeatedly-- when you know he has you on ignore and can't read what you say.

Beyond that, your view of events is that what you believe prejudicially out of liberal self-righteousness is "truth". Despite that the evidence contradicts your preconceived biases, and appears to justify Zimmerman's acquittal. Since the state fails to make a case beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman did not kill Trayvon Martin in self-defense.

And the simple statement of the facts --i.e., reality-- you distortedly spin as a "lawyer trick". Somehow in your deluded mind, any facts that exonerate Zimmerman --witnesses that say Martin was on top of Zimmerman, photos of Zimmerman's wounds that prove self-defense-- are an affront to "Ethical Morality" and "Truth". Whatever selective Orwellian definition of those terms you choose to espouse.

"Liberal clown" pretty well covers it.

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
A photo of Zimmerman's wounds doesn't prove self defense WB.

Fair play!
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

You're again attacking G-man in a cowardly way --repeatedly-- when you know he has you on ignore and can't read what you say.

Once again, you rush to defend G-Man like a lover. Either you two are fucking, or you're just one of his alts. Either option still paints you as kind of pathetic.

David, it's not "cowardly" to respond to G-Man. I don't have him on "Ignore". It's not my problem if he has ME on "Ignore". And believe me, my friend, he's reading every single word I post. Trust me on that one.

Quote:
Beyond that, your view of events is that what you believe prejudicially out of liberal self-righteousness is "truth".

I applaud your ability to work the word "liberal" into that sentence. Seriously. It's an artform I recognize and acknowledge.

Quote:
Despite that the evidence contradicts your preconceived biases

No it doesn't.

Quote:
and appears to justify Zimmerman's acquittal.

No it doesn't.

Quote:
Since the state fails to make a case beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman did not kill Trayvon Martin in self-defense.

He didn't. The proof is in the fact that Martin was an unarmed child, and Zimmerman was a failed cop who had a history of spousal abuse, and a zeal for violence against ethnic minorities. As we see when he gunned down a black kid in cold blooded murder. Just that simple.

Quote:
And the simple statement of the facts --i.e., reality-- you distortedly spin as a "lawyer trick".

Lawyers do their job for money and status, not for truth. Any debate or argument they make is instantly biased to making their case the one that wins. Assuming them to be the mouthpiece of righteous truth and justice, as you seem to do with G-Man, shows a willful naivete on your part.

Quote:
"Liberal clown" pretty well covers it.

Sure thing, G-Man. I MEAN--...David... \:lol\:

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
3. ‘Inconsistencies’ in Zimmerman’s story raised police suspicions
Testimony at the hearing suggested that Sanford police – who released Zimmerman without charges before a special prosecutor filed charges against him last week – didn’t fully believe Zimmerman's story, noting” inconsistencies” in his account of how he was attacked by Trayvon.

When Zimmerman was on the stand, Mr. De La Rionda asked him about whether, when police asked him about inconsistencies in his story, he began to say that he didn’t remember exactly what happened. The judge cut off that line of questioning, saying it veered into evidence that should be introduced at trial.

But during his turn on the stand, Gilbreath drew attention to Zimmerman's assertion to police that Trayvon was at one point running around Zimmerman's car. Gilbreath questioned why that should make Zimmerman fear for his life. “[Zimmerman] was so scared that he still got out of the car and chased Mr. Martin,” Gilbreath said skeptically.

Under questioning from O’Mara, Gilbreath also described new details that Zimmerman told police, including the claim that Trayvon allegedly tried to suffocate Zimmerman and grab for his gun before Zimmerman “scooted away” and shot Trayvon at close range.

csmonitor.com

Fair play!
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Quote:
described new details that Zimmerman told police, including the claim that Trayvon allegedly tried to suffocate Zimmerman and grab for his gun before Zimmerman “scooted away” and shot Trayvon at close range.

.......rrriiiiiiiiiggghhhttttt.........

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Yeah I can understand why the cops were not buying his story.

Fair play!
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Because they caught a still of him smiling in court?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah I can understand why the cops were not buying his story.

MEM thinks Hispanics are all liars.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Hispanic? I thought he was white?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Sorry SoM. Grandpa has a hard time holding his racism inside...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think a lot of the trouble with this case is the media rushing to get a story out before learning any facts.

Only Zimmerman was there, and you cannot trust his story alone for the simple fact he is a human being who grew up on Earth.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
Hispanic? I thought he was white?

He became "white" the second the media decided to convict him of a race crime. I think they use Superman's blackification machine but put it in reverse.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53
I think a lot of the trouble with this case is the media rushing to get a story out before learning any facts.

Only Zimmerman was there, and you cannot trust his story alone for the simple fact he is a human being who grew up on Earth.

There was about a month after Zimmerman killed Martin before the media rushed to get the story.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53

There was about a month after Zimmerman killed Martin before the media rushed to get the story.

Noooooooooo.

It was the next day the media was on this.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/busine...ntion.html?_r=1

Quote:
For the first 10 days after Martin's death, the story was covered by only the Florida media. On March 8, 2012, CBS News, acting on a tip it received from the network's local bureau in Atlanta, Georgia, obtained an exclusive interview with Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton that was broadcast on CBS This Morning.

So, really, this was local only for almost two weeks. Plenty of time for the facts to come to light. Trayvon Martin was an unarmed African-American child, and Zimerman is an ex-cop with a history of spousal abuse and racial discrimination that stalked this boy, even after the cops told him not to, and then murdered him. It's easy to understand, really. The facts are all there.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
It strikes me as funny that anyone believes it would be that hard for an armed, trained adult to subdue an unarmed teenager, without just fucking murdering him in cold blood. This might as well have been an execution...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Do you think older age is all it takes to get someone to the ground? Really?

You and MEM don't know a great deal about grappling do you?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/business/media/for-martins-case-a-long-route-to-national-attention.html?_r=1

Quote:
For the first 10 days after Martin's death, the story was covered by only the Florida media. On March 8, 2012, CBS News, acting on a tip it received from the network's local bureau in Atlanta, Georgia, obtained an exclusive interview with Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton that was broadcast on CBS This Morning.

So, really, this was local only for almost two weeks. Plenty of time for the facts to come to light. Trayvon Martin was an unarmed African-American child, and Zimerman is an ex-cop with a history of spousal abuse and racial discrimination that stalked this boy, even after the cops told him not to, and then murdered him. It's easy to understand, really. The facts are all there.

No, the facts will never come out. Only Zimmerman was there. You are just making assumptions.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Saying you know for sure what happened that night you are embracing ignorance.

Page 7 of 31 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard