Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
OP Offline
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I've seen quite a bit of back-and-forth on facebook over the ongoing SCOTUS proceedings regarding DOMA and gay marriage. most of you know where I stand on the issue, but I kind of went out on a limb posting my own opinion and am mildly concerned I'll catch it from both sides now. I don't really care all that much what people think, but I don't want to hurt my career prospects in either academia or within the church's sphere of influence. I know there's already a big gay shitstorm thread on here, but it's full of shit left behind from people who don't even post anymore, so I'll take the opportunity to fire this one up instead. tell me if this is unreasonable in some way. it's not like I have to twist anyone's arm to solicit an opinion on here...

Quote:
I notice a lot of people have brought up the point that this nation was founded mainly by Christians, and much of our law is rooted in Judeo-Christian precepts (for the record I agree). However a lot of people seem to be missing the point that one of the main reasons the Founding Fathers risked brutal executions as traitors to the Crown was their fervent belief that no one strain of Christianity (or any belief system, but there were fewer options at the time) should have the power to lend force of law to its theological points of contention. It seems a bit hypocritical, therefore, to give lip service to our respect for the FFs and the Constitution and yet deny certain legal privileges to fellow Americans because of our personal beliefs.
For what it's worth, I'm still not completely sure how I feel the Bible addresses this issue... but I have a pretty good idea how the Constitution does. Yeah, I'm conflicted sometimes when it comes to what I believe about the lifestyle itself (which, I'm relieved to say, doesn't affect my acceptance of the people who live it or my friendship with some wonderful people who identify with it), but I don't think it's morally right to deny taxation and death benefits (feel free to show me a Bible verse that addresses those) to a union of two consenting, responsible adults under the law... whatever you want to call such a union. I realize taking a middle-ground stance like that will probably just anger people on both sides, but as an evangelical libertarian (I know, right?) I'm used to that anyway. Okay, can we PLEASE get back to the economy now???

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I'm not sure what your title means. What is beyond the gay shitstorm? You talk about your opinion about the subject but is that what you see as being beyond or is it the bit about the economy at the end?

As for worrying about work and what people think I guess that's something up to individuals. For me work is work and politics and religion are subjects that are best left for other places. That seems to be partly a generational thing with younger people willing to share more in public. Nothing you posted seemed really outragous to me for what its worth.

Fair play!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
OP Offline
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
beyond the shitstorm as in beyond the initial volleys of people making it personal and not really wanting to discuss the underlying issue beyond letting the other side have it for their bigoted ignorance/hedonistic decadence/anti-Americanism/whatever. very few people on facebook are actually discussing this in a civilized manner as far as I can see.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
The original gay shitstorm topic:

While many don't still post here, many others still do.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
An interesting article, on how the politically incorrect notion of criticizing gays prevents common-sense discouragement of the obvious behavior responsible for the disease:

Quote:
The chief of a watchdog organization working to combat the spread of HIV and AIDS has launched a campaign to demand a government investigation of – and action over – the homosexual behavior that has been linked to more than 25 million deaths over the last 30 years, likening the problem to smoking, which was blamed for 100 million deaths in the 20th century.

Although statistics on the diseases linked to homosexual activity notoriously are hard to obtain, a report from the International Journal of Epidemiology estimated from a review of the “gay” population of Vancouver, B.C., that HIV/AIDS costs homosexuals up to 20 years of their lives on average.

And the U.S. government is spending, according to a Congressional Research Services report to Congress, in the range of $20 billion a year for treatment and research, with a small fraction for prevention that, analysts explain, includes testing but largely doesn’t address the behavior itself.

That’s even though when another threat to lives and livelihood – cigarettes – were suspected of imposing such a cost, Washington mandated exhaustive studies, imposed draconian advertising limits, demanded warning labels and enacted outright bans in many circumstances. The studies said the behavior, smoking, could be changed.

“It’s a public health question,” Peter LaBarbera, president of Americans for Truth about Homosexuality, told WND. “We’ve got to get beyond the gay politics and get back to the behaviors. We know there are high risks.”

LaBarbera recently demanded a federal government review of the problem and action regarding it. He issued the call to action at a Reclaim Oklahoma conference, and he later explained the idea to WND.

“We need to pull this information together,” he said. “We would, if it were from any other behavior, where one in five men who practice come down with this awful disease called AIDS.”

On his website, LaBarbera explained that homosexual behavior is like the behavior of smoking, which the U.S. government investigated and addressed directly by requiring warnings and other limits.

“Men who have had sex with men since 1977 have an HIV prevalence 60 times higher than the general population and 800 times higher than first-time blood donors,” LaBarbera wrote, citing a federal report that touched on the issue.

(much more at link)

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
This seems a more than a bit wonky. Most of the stuff I've seen on aids and prevention is very frank about the dangers of unprotected sex.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
The article makes a great point. That smoking consistently results in cancer, so there has been a campaign to actively discourage the behavior that leads to disease.

And given that risky gay behavior has consistently had an even higher ratio of terminal disease, that it makes sense for society to discourage the behavior.

The article doesn't argue it, but you could further say that gay sex doesn't just kill gays, but presents a wider threat to the heterosexual community, through secretly bisexual relationships that cause them to bring home the disease to their wives and girlfriends.

I actually had a client back in 2009, an attractive and very personable black girl, who told me she had gotten a call from the CDC saying her boyfriend of 3 years had tested positive for HIV(they were calling all his former sex partners, to come in for HIV testing), and he had been secretly bisexual with other men during their entire relationship, She told me she'd found out right before visiting me that she was HIV-positive, and burst into tears. 20 years old, she felt like her life was over.

That is a case of one gay many's selfishness ruining another person's life, with his risky and undisclosed behavior.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I've mentioned many times that my objection to legalizing gay marriage is that it would go beyond equal rights for gays, but actually begin to suppress religious freedom in the U.S., rendering the reading of Bible verses critical of homosexuality a "hate crime".

Verses such as:

GENESIS chapters 18 and 19 (Sodom and Gommorah)
LEVITICUS 20:13
ROMANS 1:18-32
1CORINTHIANS 6:9-11
2 PETER 2:6-12
JUDE verses 5-10

Here's an article that describes how Canada has made the free exercise of Christianity a "hate crime" punishable by fines or imprisonment.
http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features/mobrien_thoughtcrime_sept04.asp

And Bill O'Reilly just last night said on his program that laws in Sweden and Denmark likewise make any criticism of a minority like gays a "hate crime".

The First Amendment:
"Congress shall make no law respecting establisment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of people to peaceably assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Well, following the Canadian/European model (which seems to be the answer to everything for liberals) is definitely "prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Online Cool
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
"Hate Crime Laws: A Savage Hypocracy."

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
The article makes a great point. That smoking consistently results in cancer, so there has been a campaign to actively discourage the behavior that leads to disease.

And given that risky gay behavior has consistently had an even higher ratio of terminal disease, that it makes sense for society to discourage the behavior.

The article doesn't argue it, but you could further say that gay sex doesn't just kill gays, but presents a wider threat to the heterosexual community, through secretly bisexual relationships that cause them to bring home the disease to their wives and girlfriends.

I actually had a client back in 2009, an attractive and very personable black girl, who told me she had gotten a call from the CDC saying her boyfriend of 3 years had tested positive for HIV(they were calling all his former sex partners, to come in for HIV testing), and he had been secretly bisexual with other men during their entire relationship, She told me she'd found out right before visiting me that she was HIV-positive, and burst into tears. 20 years old, she felt like her life was over.

That is a case of one gay many's selfishness ruining another person's life, with his risky and undisclosed behavior.

Your own example shows how it's not a great point the anti-gay piece was trying to make. Aids doesn't know if your gay or straight. Your 20 year old straight girl had unprotected sex with somebody she really didn't know very well.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

I've mentioned many times that my objection to legalizing gay marriage is that it would go beyond equal rights for gays, but actually begin to suppress religious freedom in the U.S., rendering the reading of Bible verses critical of homosexuality a "hate crime".

Verses such as:

GENESIS chapters 18 and 19 (Sodom and Gommorah)
LEVITICUS 20:13
ROMANS 1:18-32
1CORINTHIANS 6:9-11
2 PETER 2:6-12
JUDE verses 5-10

Here's an article that describes how Canada has made the free exercise of Christianity a "hate crime" punishable by fines or imprisonment.
http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features/mobrien_thoughtcrime_sept04.asp

And Bill O'Reilly just last night said on his program that laws in Sweden and Denmark likewise make any criticism of a minority like gays a "hate crime".

The First Amendment:
"Congress shall establish no law respecting establisment of a religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of people to peaceably assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Well, following the Canadian/European model (which seems to be the answer to everything for liberals) is definitely "prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

This country has freedom of religion. A church doesn't have to marry any hetrosexual couple it doesn't want to. Woman still can't be priests. The government letting gays getting married isn't going to force religions to do anything different than any other time they recognized rights of a group.

Fair play!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

This country has freedom of religion. A church doesn't have to marry any hetrosexual couple it doesn't want to. Woman still can't be priests. The government letting gays getting married isn't going to force religions to do anything different than any other time they recognized rights of a group.

Yeah, sure. We already have the Obama regime forcing religious institutions to do things differently under socialized medicine. It's just a matter of time before the left starts doing everything it can to force the churches to marry gays, legally, politically and through adverse publicity.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Making hypothetical partisan guesses about the future isn't a real good reason to supress somebody else's rights and freedoms. Churches don't have to marry or bury any hetrosexual it doesn't want to, it just seems silly that anyone would think a much smaller population is going to do something the majority is unable to do. I wouldn't even want a church to be forced to marry somebody that it doesn't want to in the first place.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Making hypothetical partisan guesses about the future isn't a real good reason to supress somebody else's rights and freedoms. Churches don't have to marry or bury any hetrosexual it doesn't want to, it just seems silly that anyone would think a much smaller population is going to do something the majority is unable to do. I wouldn't even want a church to be forced to marry somebody that it doesn't want to in the first place.

"Hypothetical partisan guesses"?

Do you have ANY reading comprehension skills?

Because it's plain as day in the article I posted:
 Quote:
While the bill was in formation in Parliament two crucial amendments proposed by the conservative opposition party were defeated.
The first was to ensure that religious pastors and teachers would retain full freedom to teach traditional Judeo-Christian view on these matters.
The second was an attempt to make a distinction in law between homosexual persons and homosexual activities. The Church does not condemn homosexuals as persons; it condemns sinful activities--activities that are not only an offense against God, but are destructive of the person, as well as society in the long run.

In rejecting these two amendments, Parliament simply decreed that henceforth any public criticism of homosexual activity is a hate crime against homosexual persons, punishable by jail sentences.

And then there are many other descriptions of specific harassments and discrimination against Christians.

Some I can think of offhand on the U.S. side of the border --BEFORE we implement similar "hate crimes" punishment for criticisms of gays-- are harassment of the Boy Scouts organization in California. Even after a higher court upheld their right (as a private organization) to exclude gays, California liberals in state positions punished the organization by taking away their tax-exempt status, and even took away their parking spaces!
Again: the court upheld their right to not include gays, and bureaucrats abused their ability to punish the Boy Scouts anyway. How much more abuse, possible under proposed "hate crimes" laws?

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Quote:

O’Brien: The ink is still wet on the document, and there has been little time to bring many law suits...

At the same time activist homosexual groups are bombarding a number of pro-family, pro-life organizations in this country with mockery and threats, planning strategies (in open forums) for silencing all opposition, warning that those who don’t keep silent on homosexuality will go to court, and to jail. The high level of emotional violence in homosexual activist strategy is at times quite shocking. They seem consumed with hatred and determined to bring about an entire social revolution in their favor.

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Quote:
The courts generally have sided against the churches and individuals who do not want to cooperate with the "gay agenda."

For example, a printing company that declined to print Toronto’s annual gay pride day literature was sued under the human rights law, fined heavily, and forced to print the material or close their business.

A Catholic school was coerced by a court order to admit an openly homosexual teenage boy and his older male lover to the school prom; the court also refused the school board permission to cancel the prom.

A daily newspaper that published an advertisement page of Biblical quotes regarding homosexuality was fined.

Such incidents are multiplying.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I think it's wrong that Canada is doing that but that doesn't make keeping the gays from getting married right.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I think it's wrong that Canada is doing that but that doesn't make keeping the gays from getting married right.

Thank you for that much.

I don't endorse discrimination against gays in a secular framework. But neither do I endorse gay marriage that far beyond simply wanting two men to be able to marry, is ALL about undermining conservative/religious freedom.

As I've said for 10 years, if it ended with civil union or gay marriage, I'd say fine. But it clearly is about telling people of religious faith what they can and cannot do. Or even think! Against their 1st Amendment-protected beliefs.

Link Copied to Clipboard