Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog
I don't why this was ever a debate at all. The United States of America is not a theocratic state...it should be a nation of laws, equally bestowed to all citizens. Legally, all a marriage was was a federally recognized contract between two consenting adults of the opposite sex that granted certain rights and privileges to both parties with agreed upon conditions, with both parties signing a contract and then have said contract made official by a state-licensed Notary. Why should that only be applied to heterosexuals? If a person also wants to be married "before God" then get married in a church that holds your theocratic viewpoint.

On the flip side, anyone who disagrees with the idea of homosexuality, or homosexual marriage, should not be labeled "homophobic". A person could find homosexuality morally objectionable but not treat a homosexual any different than anyone else. We have sexist and racist, we need a new "-ist" for homosexuality to define it as a prejudice. I, for one, don't approve of homosexuality but I don't hate them or treat them differently than anyone else, and legally I don't think they should be afforded any less rights than myself. If I have an opinion on a person, it's because of their personality. For instance I just think MEM is a dumbass because he is one, not because he's a dumb smelly homo (even though he probably is ;\))

The second paragraph of your post is exactly the issue.
It's not that gays can marry. It's the Political Correctness thought police, who make all dissent a crime. If it began and ended with gays doing whatever they want, even I would have no problem with it, despite my obviously not being a fan of gay marriage.

The huge problem is the criminalizing of all dissent, and forcing those who disagree (photographers, bakeries, and soon conservative churches and institutions) to participate in gay marriage against their will.

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.