I think it was pretty overt and obvious without even an investigation that Edwards was guilty of what he was accused of. And last I looked, was convicted of diverting campaign funds in a very linear way to cover up the affair with his mistress and the child he had with her, while married.
If you've forgotten, she was filming a documentary for the campaign, so clearly all their travel expenses doubled as both campaign expenses, as well as funding hotels and expenses for his personal liasons.

No one needed to trick Edwards into a perjury trap when he wasn't really guilty of anything. Edwards WAS guilty. Unquestionably.

Just as Bill Clinton boldly lied, and almost dared anyone to catch him in his lies. It wasn't a matter of trapping Bill Clinton, he was arrogant enough to think he could defiantly float any Clintonian deception and no one could ever catch him.
Bill Clinton WAS guilty of sexually harassing/assaulting/raping Cathleen Willie, Juanita Broaddrick, Paula Jones and others. Bill Clinton boldly lied, evading whether or not he had sex with Monica Lewinsky.
He evaded and deceived, saying he didn't have intercourse, but in truth he did in fact have oral sex with her.
He evaded, saying that he didn't have oral sex with her, but in truth he did in fact receive oral sex from Lewinsky. And she had the semen-stained blue dress to prove it.
Clinton wasn't tricked into perjuring himself in a lawyer's trap. He boldly lied, and arrogantly thought he could get away with it.

And because he actually assaulted Paula Jones, he had to pay $850,000.

Because Clinton actually broke the law he was sworn to uphold as both a lawyer and a president, he was fined $90,000, and the American Bar Association took away his law license. (Temporarily, for 5 years as I recall. But I believe he never renewed it because he makes well over $100,000 per speaking event, so he never really needs to practice law again. )

Your point being... what, M E M?

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.