Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

theory9 said:
The Adam's Apple is part of the larynx.

Right just like the nose is a part of the face.... it's an important difference.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Even though it is about Ann Coulter, I kinda like this thread. One of the few civil conversations DaveTWB and I ever had on the Deep Thoughts forum.

SNL really sucks these days.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yahoo! News

U.S.

Hecklers Cause Coulter to Cut UConn Speech
Wed Dec 7,11:14 PM ET

By SHELLEY K. WONG, Associated Press Writer

STORRS, Conn. - Conservative columnist Ann Coulter gave up trying to finish a speech at the University of Connecticut on Wednesday night when boos and jeers from the audience became overwhelming.

Coulter cut off the talk after 15 minutes and instead held a half-hour question-and-answer session.

"I love to engage in repartee with people who are stupider than I am," Coulter told the 2,600 people at Jorgensen Auditorium.

Coulter's appearance prompted protests from several groups, including Students Against Hate and the Puerto Rican/Latin American Cultural Center. They criticized her for spreading a message of hate and intolerance.

Nearly 100 students gathered inside the Student Union for a rally against Coulter. About a half-dozen people held protest signs outside the auditorium.

After a book signing following her appearance, Coulter called the audience's reaction "typical."

Coulter, originally from New Canaan, Conn., has a history of bashing Democrats in best-selling books, frequent television appearances and speeches. Harding University in Arkansas dropped her from its lecture series in September, citing her abrasive image.

Last April, the president of the University of St. Thomas in Minnesota denounced a speech on the campus by Coulter, calling it hateful. In October 2004, University of Arizona police arrested two men who ran on stage and threw custard pies at Coulter; one of the pies glanced off her shoulder.

In her speech at UConn, Coulter called
    Bill Clinton an "executive buffoon" who won the presidency only because
    Ross Perot took 19 percent of the vote. She called California Sen. Barbara Boxer (news, bio, voting record) a good candidate for the Democrats because "she is a woman and she's learning disabled."

During the question-and-answer session, someone asked Coulter if she really was against a woman's right to vote.

"Not having women vote is a joke," she said, reversing comments she has previously made.

Eric Knudsen, a 19-year-old sophomore journalism and social welfare major at UConn, didn't attend the speech.

"We encourage diverse opinion at UConn, but this is blatant hate speech," said Knudsen, head of Students Against Hate.

Kareem Mohni, a 20-year-old junior and a member of a campus Republicans group, said he was disgusted with the Jorgensen crowd.

"It really appalled me that we're not able to come together as a group and listen to a different view in a respectful environment," he said.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
"We encourage diverse opinion at UConn, but this is blatant hate speech," said Knudsen, head of Students Against Hate.

Translation:

"We encourage diverse opinion at UConn, as long as it more or less agrees with what I believe," said Knudsen.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Yes.

These protestors would prefer someone like Howard Dean as a guest speaker at their school.

Because we all know that Howard Dean would never resort to hate speech, making blanket statements about how all Republicans are evil, and that he hates all Republicans.

And we all know that Howard Dean would never make blanket stereotypes of all residents of the Deep South, as all driving pickup trucks, and all having gunracks in their back truck windows.

Except that we all know Dean said both these things in the last year.

Or Jesse Jackson saying: "I used to spit in the soup of white people."
Or more recently, Jackson's describing New York City as "hymietown."

Oh yes, the Democrats are so superior in their rhetoric. They never resort to stereotypes do they?

How about inviting Democrat Senator Dick Durbin, so he can repeat his remarks about our troops in Iraq, which he compared to "Nazi storm troopers, Soviet Gulags, and the Cambodian Pol Pot regime".
Remarks which Durbin later retracted, after a firestorm of criticism regarding the distortion of comparing our soldiers to those who have committed genocide of millions.

At least in the case of Ann Coulter, she makes her remarks with clear humor and deliberate hyperbole, to make a larger point.

I loved a remark Coulter made in the early months of the Iraq War that "donations to Udei and Qusei Hussein Memorial Fund can be made directly to the Howard Dean campaign", or something to that effect.
I mean anyone who reads that knows she doesn't mean it literally, but simply that Howard Dean's rhetoric is inadvertantly serving the cause of Saddam Hussein.

I love the way Coulter makes a point about the absurdity of Democrat actions, with these hyperbolic statements of what Democrat partisan statements truly represent (in this case, spreading the propaganda and the cause of Al Qaida, in opposition to the United States).

And I hasten to add, that in contrast to Coulter, the remarks of Dean, Jackson and Durbin I mentioned above were made in complete seriousness.

I guarantee these U. Conn. college protestors would not criticize these same remarks from Democrat pundits and leaders.
Quite the contrary, they would be at stage front, cheering them on.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Were any of those people invited to speak at UConn?

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:

That's not the point, is it?

The point is that these protestors shouted down Ann Coulter, so that she didn't even have a chance to make a respectful presentation to the audience.

I think that speaks to the lack of civility of the protestors, that in the land of the free, she wasn't even able to speak her opinion. An opinion for which a few hundred people paid money to hear her speak.
So much for democracy, free speech, and the exchange of ideas.

If they were smart, they would have held their visible protest, but been civil enough to let her give her lecture. Then they might have been given a few rhetorical nuggets that they could say "There, see, she made her hateful remarks on our campus."

But all they did was, rather undemocratically, smother her ability to respectfully voice a perspective they disagree with.

They prove that they are the ones who are uncivil and un-American, that they are the ones who are intolerant, and not Ann Coulter.

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

Hey, that's George Bush's mantra!

We all wear a green carnation.
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

Congratulations on once again manifesting the sneering factless distortion that Democrats/liberals so frequently use to express their blind hate.

Good job !

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:

Howard Dean spoke at UConn last year.

Uconn lists Jackson’s National Rainbow/PUSH Coalition as one of its National Diversity Resources.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

Congratulations on once again manifesting the sneering factless distortion that Democrats/liberals so frequently use to express their blind hate.

Good job !

Go fuck yourself.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
Quote:

Wednesday said:

That's not the point, is it?

Well, yeah, it is.

I posted the article, G-man replied, then you replied:

Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

These protestors would prefer someone like Howard Dean as a guest speaker at their school...

Or Jesse Jackson saying: "I used to spit in the soup of white people."
Or more recently, Jackson's describing New York City as "hymietown."

Oh yes, the Democrats are so superior in their rhetoric. They never resort to stereotypes do they?

How about inviting Democrat Senator Dick Durbin, so he can repeat his remarks about our troops in Iraq, which he compared to "Nazi storm troopers, Soviet Gulags, and the Cambodian Pol Pot regime".
Remarks which Durbin later retracted, after a firestorm of criticism regarding the distortion of comparing our soldiers to those who have committed genocide of millions.

And then:

Quote:

I guarantee these U. Conn. college protestors would not criticize these same remarks from Democrat pundits and leaders.
Quite the contrary, they would be at stage front, cheering them on...

Granted, that was only part of your post, but since the rest was your opinion of Coulter herself, I skipped it.

I asked if they had ever invited those people to UConn because you seemed pretty sure that they would. I wanted to know what you were basing that on.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Wednesday said:

Uconn lists Jackson’s National Rainbow/PUSH Coalition as one of its National Diversity Resources.

That's what I wanted to know.

We have succeeded in showing that there are people on both sides who make careers of hate and unPC remarks. Of course, this fact shouldn't be shocking or taken as indicative of either side being EVIL.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

Good job !

Go fuck yourself.

Chalk one up for DtWB.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Looks like she got what she deserved. Actually they should have talked to her with baseball bats (Coulter fans will notice I'm using her brand of humor)

Fair play!
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
But considering that you don't have her, or our, humor, chances are you're being serious. In which case, you're a disgusting individual.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Wednesday said:

Uconn lists Jackson's National Rainbow/PUSH Coalition as one of its National Diversity Resources.

That's what I wanted to know.

We have succeeded in showing that there are people on both sides who make careers of hate and unPC remarks. Of course, this fact shouldn't be shocking or taken as indicative of either side being EVIL.

And I think that emphasises the double-standard of these U. Conn. liberal protestors quite nicely.

They have no objection to Dean or Jackson.

But simultaneously not only object to, but snuff out Ann Coulter's ability to voice her opinion AT ALL !

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

And I think that emphasises the double-standard of these U. Conn. liberal protestors quite nicely.

But simultaneously not only object to, but snuff out Ann Coulter's ability to voice her opinion AT ALL !

Oh, that's definitely mostly true. There was a clear double standard applied here. She was able to get out most of her speech, according to the article, so I don't know about them snuffing out her ability to voice her opinion AT ALL!!! but these protesters are full of shit. They just don't like the fact that the hate is being steered in their direction.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Listen, I will agree she should have been permitted to present her talk, speech, whatever.

But it amazes me that those who represent THE IDEOLOGY THAT'S CURRENTLY IN POWER whine when others shout them down. Jesus Christ, DtWB, your side won the election. You got your man for another 4 years.

So what if Ann The Bitch gets shouted down? Her free speech hasn't been violated, since it was not The Government who shouted her down.

Maybe it's time for another Revolution...

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Listen, I will agree she should have been permitted to present her talk, speech, whatever.

But it amazes me that those who represent THE IDEOLOGY THAT'S CURRENTLY IN POWER whine when others shout them down. Jesus Christ, DtWB, your side won the election. You got your man for another 4 years.

Because it doesn't really matter that Bush/Republicans are in power.

Because Democrats show the same (1) partisan lack of fairness, and (2) contempt and utter lack of civility toward conservatives/Republicans, no matter which party is in power.

And I don't think it's "whining" to point out that there is a clear double-standard.

Also, as I've made clear across any number of topics, while I'm a Republican and G.W. Bush is a Republican, it's a huge assumption on your part that he's my "man".

I've made it clear in my prior posts that it was a choice for the lesser of two evils, and that if the Democrats offered a viable alternative such as Joseph Lieberman or Sam Nunn or some other Democrat who offered more credibility on defense, I would have voted for him.

But they didn't.

I've made it clear in prior posts that I would have preferred McCain as the nominee in 2000, and I voted for Bush in 2004 because Jane Fonda... excuse me... John Kerry was so unthinkable leading a war on terror.

I've made it clear many times where I separate myself from Bush.

1. I wasn't in favor of tax cuts, I'd prefer the deficit paid down.

2. When 9-11 occurred, I thought the tax cuts should have been repealed, to cover the additional spending.

3. I felt that Bush should have gone in with the larger invasion force that the Pentagon Joint Chiefs recommended, of 200,000 to 300,000

4. I don't like Bush's amnesty proposal for illegal immigrants. It promotes illegal immigration.

And some things I haven't said on the boards yet:

5. I opposed Harriet Miers' Supreme Court nomination. It was selecting a partisan supporter of conservative abortion advocacy, rather than the most qualified Constitutional law candidate.
    Although I'm very pleased with the Roberts and Alito selections. But just the same, the Miers nomination made me question Bush's judgement, as have many things I've criticized (above) in his Presidency.

6. While I advocate Social Security reform, Bush's proposal for reform was disturbingly vague. It may have been a great proposal, but the case for it by Bush's administration was unconvincing, and unsurprisingly, won little support. Lacking further details, it didn't win my support. This was the first thing that made me question Bush's judgement, and reconsider his conduct thus far on the Iraq War.

Finally, I get tired of these discussions where, rather than discussing my perspective of the issue, I have to dig myself out of a hole of false assumptions of what you and others assume to be what I believe or support.

Case in point.
Again.

Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

So what if Ann The Bitch gets shouted down? Her free speech hasn't been violated, since it was not The Government who shouted her down.

Maybe it's time for another Revolution...

Short of speech that incites violence or a riot, Ann Coulter has the right to be heard.
Particularly in a place where hundreds of people have paid money to see her speak. As opposed to the extremely vocal and uncivil minority of 100 or so there who suppressed her constitutional right.

Supression of free speech is still supression of free speech, whether suppression by government, or suppression by private groups.
If this had been a gay or liberal speaker instead of Ann Coulter, there's be an outcry for police protection of their free speech rights at the next meeting.

Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

Oh, that's definitely mostly true. There was a clear double standard applied here. She was able to get out most of her speech, according to the article, so I don't know about them snuffing out her ability to voice her opinion AT ALL!!! but these protesters are full of shit. They just don't like the fact that the hate is being steered in their direction.

I appreciate the correction, Wednesday, that Ann Coulter was able to speak a bit before she was interrupted.

Although it certainly was the intention of the protesters to prevent her being heard, to whatever degree they could. But you are correct, despite the intentions of her opposition, it wasn't a total shutout.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
All I know is that Ann is a disgrace to transgender people everywhere! Your friends back on Key West still remember you, Ann! They held your hand through the hard times like when you cried because your vaginal dialater hurt. Now all we want to know, Reggie, is how many MIPS do you get out of those silicon implants!?

Bitch.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
But considering that you don't have her, or our, humor, chances are you're being serious. In which case, you're a disgusting individual.

Well I think my posting history here at Robs would indicate that I wasn't serious. At least it gave you a chance to call me a "disgusting individual"

Fair play!
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
DTWB:

Politicians are all spawned from the same social DNA; your arguments lack focus and factual basis if you continue to claim that only one political party has a monopoly on bad habits. Republicans mess up, Democrats mess up--that's how it is.

Additionally, it appears as if you're falling into the trap of protecting people rather than rights. Does Coulter have the right to speak her mind? Absolutely. But the right to speak one's mind should be universal, rather than being selective in your application of rights. If you preserve a right and hold it in high regard, you don't have to worry about standing up for the person.

...you tell stories, we tell lies.
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Quote:

theory9 said:
DTWB:

Politicians are all spawned from the same social DNA; your arguments lack focus and factual basis if you continue to claim that only one political party has a monopoly on bad habits. Republicans mess up, Democrats mess up--that's how it is.

Additionally, it appears as if you're falling into the trap of protecting people rather than rights. Does Coulter have the right to speak her mind? Absolutely. But the right to speak one's mind should be universal, rather than being selective in your application of rights. If you preserve a right and hold it in high regard, you don't have to worry about standing up for the person.

I certainly concede that, theory9. That both Democrats and Republicans mess up, and both should be held accountable.

I find it odd that you say that immediately after I posted a laundry list of Bush's mistakes.

And if you look through my last 100 posts, or even back over the last 3 or 4 years of my RKMB posts, you'll see that while a majority of the time I've defended Bush, I've been critical of him as well.
Constructively critical of Bush, but critical nonetheless.

I only say that: more often for me, the Republican stance rings truer, as the more logical common sense approach.

As in the Afghan and Iraq wars, for example.

Clinton talked about Afghanistan being a haven for terrorists, and that Saddam was a threat to the U.S. and the Arab world.

But G.W. Bush did more than sabre-rattle, he did what needed to be done in both Afghanistan and Iraq.
And as I just said, my only problem with that decision is that Bush tried / is trying to do it with a light force, instead of the 200,000 -300,000 troops the Pentagon said were needed to do the job right.
And as a result, I fault Bush and Rumsfeld for doing the job more slowly / more destructively / less efficently than it could be done.
But even so, (despite liberal partisan remarks and media coverage) Iraq is slowly, inexorably becoming more independent and militarily ready every day.

But meanwhile, the Democrats are pushing for faster troop withdrawals, and elimination of U.S. forces before the Iraqis are ready.
Which just further convinces me that whatever problems I see with Bush's conducting of the war, the Democrats are even worse !

I fail to see how this is vague or one-sided of me to say, as you allege.

If I didn't say it before, I'll say it clearly now: both Democrats and Republicans have made mistakes.

But I think I've said it repeatedly, loud and clear already, in many of my prior posts.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
As much as I loathe Coulter's hatemongering, Wonder Boy is right that she shouldn't have been shouted down. It's sad that an extremist like her had an audience for her Clinton/liberals bashing but they had a right to hear her.

Fair play!
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
My comment about selectivity was based on this:

Quote:

Because Democrats show the same (1) partisan lack of fairness, and (2) contempt and utter lack of civility toward conservatives/Republicans, no matter which party is in power. And I don't think it's "whining" to point out that there is a clear double-standard.

If both sides both do the same things, how can a double-standard exist?

My point about one-sidedness was this: if you assert membership before ideas, you're often forced to accept (or be associated with) a wide-ranging set of notions that may not apply to you. That you agree with the President on the war is only part of the issue--whether or not we can achieve lasting success is the larger question. Because of religious and cultural divides, many of the gains that the US has realized in Iraq will probably not last too long past our eventual withdrawl from the country.

Now stating the above does not mean you haven't considered it, but it doesn't appear as if US leadership has given it long-term thought. Democrats have raised these concerns, only to be drown in the cries of being soft on terrorism. My concern, more generally, is simply that we've entered these countries (Afghanistan and Iraq) without realistically achievable objectives, and in the meantime have exposed ourselves to the enemy in more subtle ways.

...you tell stories, we tell lies.
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Quote:

theory9 said:
My comment about selectivity was based on this:

Quote:

Because Democrats show the same (1) partisan lack of fairness, and (2) contempt and utter lack of civility toward conservatives/Republicans, no matter which party is in power. And I don't think it's "whining" to point out that there is a clear double-standard.

If both sides both do the same things, how can a double-standard exist?

My point about one-sidedness was this: if you assert membership before ideas, you're often forced to accept (or be associated with) a wide-ranging set of notions that may not apply to you.

I pointed out that both the republican and democrat parties, to some degree use the same tactics, yes.

The double-standard is in how the news media overwhelmingly gives a one-sided positive spin to the Democrat perspective at every turn.

Just because I express a leaning toward one side doesn't mean I don't weigh the validity of both perspectives.

Again, I made that abundantly clear in my constructive criticism of Bush's shortcomings above.
But you attempt to dismiss me as partisan, despite my criticism of Bush, both above, and in my posts over the last four years or so.

Which is ironic, considering your own liberal leanings that you are reluctant to own up to, even as you accuse me of partisanship.

Quote:

theory9 said:

That you agree with the President on the war is only part of the issue--whether or not we can achieve lasting success is the larger question.
Because of religious and cultural divides, many of the gains that the US has realized in Iraq will probably not last too long past our eventual withdrawl from the country.

Your opinion, which you are entitled to.
But you state it as if it were fact. Similar things were said about Germany and Japan after World War II.

Quote:

theory9 said:
Now stating the above does not mean you haven't considered it, but it doesn't appear as if US leadership has given it long-term thought.
Democrats have raised these concerns, only to be drown in the cries of being soft on terrorism. My concern, more generally, is simply that we've entered these countries (Afghanistan and Iraq) without realistically achievable objectives, and in the meantime have exposed ourselves to the enemy in more subtle ways.

Again, your opinion, stated as fact.
You criticize my partisanship, then lobby an argument that the Democrats have better solutions, but are being smeared as un-American and thus not listened to, despite their oh-so-superior solutions. (I see their criticism as just opportunistic kicking of the president whenever he's down, without offering any real solutions of their own. Which hurts the morale of our troops, and hurts public perception through sheer repetition of wishful thinkers in the news media, despite a lack of substantiation for their negative projections. )

All indications I've seen are that our troops on the ground are adapting and improving, as is the Bush administration's strategy.
And that despite the losses, full democracy in Iraq with an independent Iraqi security force is inevitable, that their economy is improving in Iraq, and that the insurrection is increasingly less able to go on.

I agree that there have been some mistakes, as there are in every war.
That is one of my criticisms above, that Bush didn't go into Iraq with a larger force, as the joint Chiefs said was necessary to do the job right.

It is hardly a factual inevitability that gains in Iraq are "not likely to last that long". These are people who want peace and economic opportunity, for themselves and their children.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

So, by that logic, Matthew Shepherd's rights weren't violated because it wasn't the government that killed him?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Now you've gone and crossed the Thin Rainbow Line™, G-Man...

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

So, by that logic, Matthew Shepherd's rights weren't violated because it wasn't the government that killed him?

Technically that's true. I don't like the idea of classifying some crimes as "hate crimes" since all crimes are wrong. If someone is beaten then the same penalty should be in place regardless of motive.
So his rights weren't violated, but a crime was committed against him.

Bow ties are coool.
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Lets not forget Dude that keeping wildlife, um... an amphibious rodent, for... um, ya know domestic... within the city... that ain't legal either.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

Quote:

the G-man said:

Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Technically that's true. I don't like the idea of classifying some crimes as "hate crimes" since all crimes are wrong. If someone is beaten then the same penalty should be in place regardless of motive.

For the record, I concur.

Quote:

So his rights weren't violated, but a crime was committed

And, in the case of Coulter, I would argue that a crime, albeit a minor one. was also committed. If nothing else, "disorderly conduct" or, perhaps, "harassment."

Furthermore, if the protesters had planned to go to the event and illegally disrupt same, an argument could be made that they engaged in a conspiracy.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
DTWB:

Your indictment of the media as overwhelmingly liberal depends on where you stand: there are many who would say the media is too conservative. If you do weigh both sides, that's a good thing, but your posts bear no evidence of that.

The following is in bold so you won't miss it: If you wish to say that I have liberal leanings, so be it. But the world is too complex to espouse a simple-minded, two-party view of the world. I'm a thinker, NOT A POLITICAN, and people who spend significant amounts of time thinking in a simplistic, two-dimensional fashion can do it without me. I'm interested in solving problems rather than trying to take credit for things I haven't done and blaming others for my mistakes (a brief summation of 20th American politics).

I'll restate the previous sentence for anyone "unclear" as to what I mean: if you think that the world operates on republican/democrat fuel and refuse to see outside the small box you've (the editorial you) constructed for yourself, go for it. But to think that the rest of the world subscribes to your hysterical notions is silly. The world is bigger than red/blue states, and solutions occur within societies when people search for answers to problems and stop playing the blame game. I am not on the sidelines, I'm right here acknowledging the world around me, rather than quoting PBS websites and decrying the decline of overall human freedoms. So say what you will about liberal leanings: I don't live in your box and never will.

Other points:

The last quote in your post doesn't show me asserting a Democratic solution, because I never said it. Not once did I say (or imply) that the Democrats held a better solution Again, you're limiting thought on the subject by not looking for answers and instead focusing on the political blame-game.

Whether one agrees with the war or not, the fact is that people are dying; both Democrats and Republicans can agree on that. My concern was (and is, despite your slanderous comments to the contrary) that the objectives of the troops be realistic and attainable. Your flagwaving for the Republicans changes none of that.

Ignoring the intense racial divisions within Iraq and the structure of Islam in general are two oversights that may cost the US (again, not Republican or Democrat) dearly in the future. No substantial democracy has ever existed in the Middle East, most prominently due to the anti-democratic leanings of the Koran. The Baath party was designed to take advantage of the country's racial divides, and the US is having a fair amount of difficulty crossing these divides. Again, this is not to say that the occupation will not be successful, only that success will be difficult, hard fought and not necessarily permanent.

Theo

P.S. I never asserted that the Democrat's approach was better.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard