Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22
the G-man #537296 2005-11-21 12:16 PM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
If Armitage was the original leaker, that undercuts the argument that outing Plame was a plot by the hard-liners in the veep's office to "out" Plame. Armitage was, if anything, a foe of the neocons who did not want to go to war in Iraq. He had no motive to discredit Wilson. On "Larry King Live" last month, Woodward was dismissive of the special prosecutor's investigation, suggesting that the original leak was not the result of a "smear campaign" but rather a "kind of gossip, as chatter ... I don't see an underlying crime here."

G-man, correct me if I'm wrong here. But is ignorance of the law an excuse to break the law?

If this turns out to not be a smear campaign. And her name was really leaked within weeks of her husband writing a column blasting Bush, then I will be shocked. This will be the largest coincidence in history.
Much more coincidental than the guy who jumps off a roof and is shot in the chest by random gunfire as he passes the 5th floor windows.

Bow ties are coool.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:But is ignorance of the law an excuse to break the law?

Not per se. However, many crimes require an element of "intent."

Depending on how the facts of the case play out, and assuming Plame's status was even that to which "outing" is a crime (as noted before it possibly wasn't), it may be that Armitage did not intend to out a covert agent. In which case, depending on the facts as they develop, and the language of the statute, it may not have been a crime.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
WOODWARD 'LEAKS' A HINT

WASHINGTON — Watergate sleuth Bob Woodward last night let slip that his "Deep Throat" in the CIA leak case is a man — and the tip that Iraq war critic Joe Wilson had a CIA wife came when they were shooting the breeze.

Woodward — who rocked the CIA probe by revealing he got an early tip about Wilson's wife — said the "casual, offhand" way he was told convinces him that talk of "some vast conspiracy to slime Joe Wilson and his wife," Valerie Plame, is false.

Woodward also stressed that his source said Plame was a CIA "analyst," which meant she wasn't undercover.

the G-man #537299 2005-11-22 4:24 PM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:But is ignorance of the law an excuse to break the law?

Quote:

Not per se. However, many crimes require an element of "intent."

But isn't the whole point of Confidential information that it is not supposed to just slip out during gossip.
At the very least (even if you're right about her status, which I've read otherwise) this is negligence in the handling of confidential information.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
However, if, as noted above, the source didn't realize that the information was confidential, there is an argument to made that the leak was not intentional. Therefore, depending on the language of the statute, the leak would not be a crime.

Again, this assumes that Plame even was a "covert operative" for purposes of the statute which, as noted ad nauseaum, may not even be the case.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
However, if, as noted above, the source didn't realize that the information was confidential, there is an argument to made that the leak was not intentional. Therefore, depending on the language of the statute, the leak would not be a crime.

Again, this assumes that Plame even was a "covert operative" for purposes of the statute which, as noted ad nauseaum, may not even be the case.

Legality aside...

Even if no crime was committed, do you think the leaker demonstrated a degree of carelessness that should cost him or her their job, or have other consequences?

If there was that kind of uncertainty about whether Plame was covert or not on the part of the source, shouldn't the source have erred on the side of caution? Yeah, you can't always do that in conversation - things slip out and you can't help it - but it's not impossible to show a bit of restraint and stop yourself from saying something you probably shouldn't.

I think we should also be looking at the CIA to find out how well they keep government officials informed about the status of certain people so they know not to talk about them to make sure something like this doesn't happen.

If the leaking of Valerie Plame's name was not a criminal act, it was an act of carelessness that I think should have some serious consequences.

And as I stated earlier in this thread, whoever is the leak should have 'fessed up a long time ago, and should be ashamed of themselves for letting others take the heat for their actions - assuming the people who are being investigated or indicted aren't the leakers.

Last edited by Darknight613; 2005-11-22 7:09 PM.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
It depends on the circumstances. If Plame wasn't a covert agent (see earlier posts) I don't think you can argue this was unduly careless. After all, under federal "open goverment" laws there is a presumption of open information.

Woodward has a very important data point quoted in today's Washington Post:

"Remember the investigation and the allegations that people have printed about this story is that there's some vast conspiracy to slime Joe Wilson and his wife, really attack him in an ugly way that is outside the boundaries of hardball. The evidence I had, firsthand, a small piece of the puzzle I acknowledge, is that was not the case." (emphasis added).

There are several things we should gather from this:
    (1) The mainstream media hype over Wilson and Plame is simply that. They are creatures who wouldn't exist were the cameras not pointed at them or the editorial pages crying out in their name;
    (2) that the supposedly Machiavellian Bush White House was not trying to protect itself from fatal damage by destroying Joe Wilson and avenging itself on his wife; and (3) that someone outside the White House inner circle -- Richard Armitage? some high-ranker at CIA? -- was the source for Woodward and probably Novak as well as part of the CIA and State Department political campaign in opposition to the Iraq war.

Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald seems to have settled in for a long Washington stay. Some other body needs to investigate the CIA and the State Department connection here. The Senate Intelligence Committee is the best body to investigate this.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

WASHINGTON -- Months before Karl Rove corrected his statements in the Valerie Plame investigation, his lawyer was told that the president's top political adviser might have disclosed Plame's CIA status to a Time magazine reporter.

Rove says he had forgotten the conversation he had on July 11, 2003, with Time's Matt Cooper. But the magazine reported Sunday that in the first half of 2004, as President Bush's re-election campaign was heating up, Rove's lawyer got the word about a possible Rove-Cooper conversation from a second Time reporter, Viveca Novak.

StarTribune.com
This is what was keeping Fitzgerald from indicting Rove from what I understand with his pal "Lying Libby" so we should be finding out soon about Rove.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

as President Bush's re-election campaign was heating up, Rove's lawyer got the word about a possible Rove-Cooper conversation from a second Time reporter, Viveca Novak.

The fact that someone else, Viveca Novak, remembered the conversation doesn't mean that Rove did.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

as President Bush's re-election campaign was heating up, Rove's lawyer got the word about a possible Rove-Cooper conversation from a second Time reporter, Viveca Novak.

The fact that someone else, Viveca Novak, remembered the conversation doesn't mean that Rove did.

"I don't recall" is the cry of the guilty man.

Bow ties are coool.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
A couple of things,
Raw posts new docs on CIA leak; Third journoulist
didn't testify; Libby says 'superiors' oked leak
White House may have deleted leak emails...

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Is Media MAtters jelouse that you're seeing Raw?

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
A Chicago Tribune investigation provides more evidence that the entire Plame affair is about nothing:

Plame's secret life could be easily penetrated with the right computer sleuthing and an understanding of how the CIA's covert employees work.

When the Tribune searched for Plame on an Internet service that sells public information about private individuals to its subscribers, it got a report of more than 7,600 words. Included was the fact that in the early 1990s her address was "AMERICAN EMBASSY ATHENS ST, APO NEW YORK NY 09255." . . .

After the completion of her Athens tour, the CIA reportedly sent Plame to study in Europe. According to her husband, former U.S. Ambassador Joseph Wilson, Plame was living in Brussels when the couple first met in 1997.

Two years later, when Plame made a $1,000 contribution to Vice President Al Gore, she listed her employer as Brewster-Jennings & Associates, a Boston company apparently set up by the CIA to provide "commercial cover" for some of its operatives.

Brewster-Jennings was not a terribly convincing cover. According to Dun & Bradstreet, the company, created in 1994, is a "legal services office" grossing $60,000 a year and headed by a chief executive named Victor Brewster. Commercial databases accessible by the Tribune contain no indication that such a person exists. . . .

After Plame left her diplomatic post and joined Brewster-Jennings, she became what is known in CIA parlance as an "NOC," shorthand for an intelligence officer working under "non-official cover." But several CIA veterans questioned how someone with an embassy background could have successfully passed herself off as a private-sector consultant with no government connections.

Genuine NOCs, a CIA veteran said, "never use an official address. If she had [a diplomatic] address, her whole cover's completely phony. I used to run NOCs. I was in an embassy. I'd go out and meet them, clandestine meetings. I'd pay them cash to run assets or take trips. I'd give them a big bundle of cash. But they could never use an embassy address, ever."

Another CIA veteran with 20 years of service agreed that "the key is the [embassy] address. That is completely unacceptable for an NOC. She wasn't an NOC, period."

Patrick Fitzgerald would show real courage if he admitted his mistake and dropped the charges.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Patrick Fitzgerald would show real courage if he admitted his mistake and dropped the charges.

Fitzgerald, a Republican who has gone up against mobsters has to adopt the GOP spin to show real courage? I think the guy has talked to other CIA people who say her cover was blown. Instead of a lack of courage, Fitzgerald may put more weight onto his sources than anonymous sources.

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
The important thing is that we get Bush! regardless of acctual guilt.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Fitzgerald, a Republican who has gone up against mobsters has to adopt the GOP spin to show real courage?

The Chicago Tribune is "GOP spin"?

No one questionsed Fitzgerald's integrity. I only suggested that he would be showing courage-again-to drop this case if he doesn't have more that we've been seen so far.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Fitzgerald, a Republican who has gone up against mobsters has to adopt the GOP spin to show real courage?

The Chicago Tribune is "GOP spin"?

No one questionsed Fitzgerald's integrity. I only suggested that he would be showing courage-again-to drop this case if he doesn't have more that we've been seen so far.

I was referring to your spin that for Fitzgerald to show "real courage" he needed to admit a mistake. The Chicago Tribune's article wasn't spin but it also didn't include any of the evidence Fitzgerald used to decide if Plame was truly indeed undercover. Your just picking the bits that support the GOP spin, ignoring what doesn't. I doubt Fitzgerald is working the same way.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Has it not occurred to Bush's critics that the Bush administration didn't need to do anything to reveal that Valerie Plame was a CIA operative?

Former ambassador Joe Wilson (Valerie Plame's husband), started this whole fiasco when he wrote an editorial in the New York Times criticizing Bush, alleging Bush's State-of-the-Union statement that Saddam Hussein was seeking yellow-cake uranium from Niger was false. That Wilson claimed he knew to be false, because he went to Niger and saw no sign of Saddam seeking a purchase (at least not from the Niger operatives Wilson spoke to).

Joe Wilson's allegation in that New York Times editorial obligates the news media (at least a theoretical news media that is not clearly biased and overwhelmingly liberal) to investigate Wilson's allegations and the details of his mission to Niger.
That would entail investigating who recommended, selected and supervised Joe Wilson's recruitment for the trip to Niger, and the true documentation of his findings.
Which would have revealed Valerie Plame's role, and her identity.

So... when Joe Wilson went public in his New York Times editorial, it was him, he, Joe Wilson, no one else, who outed his wife as a C.I.A. agent !

It was Wilson who opened the door, and made a public spectacle of what his mission was, required others to verify the accuracy (or innacuracy) of his statements.
And a necessary part of that was knowing who Valerie Plame is, and her role in this CIA excursion into Niger.

But leave it to liberal partisans in Washington, and the news media, to shunt the blame onto Republicans, instead of on Joe Wilson, where it truly belongs.

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
the G-man #537314 2006-03-14 12:02 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
...former deputy secretary of State Richard Armitage...was one of a handful of top officials who had access to the information.

If Armitage was the original leaker, that undercuts the argument that outing Plame was a plot by the hard-liners in the veep's office to "out" Plame. Armitage was, if anything, a foe of the neocons who did not want to go to war in Iraq. He had no motive to discredit Wilson.

BRADLEE IDS FIRST PLAME LEAKER

Ben Bradlee, the Washington Post editor who helped expose the Watergate scandal, says former Secretary of State Colin Powell's top deputy, Richard Armitage, was the first member of the Bush administration to leak the fact that Valerie Plame was a CIA agent, Vanity Fair magazine reports in its new edition.

"That Armitage is the likely source is a fair assumption," the magazine quotes Bradlee as saying.

Bradlee's remarks raise questions as to why special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald indicted Libby but not Armitage, who testified to a grand jury without 'fessing up

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:...

But leave it to liberal partisans in Washington, and the news media, to shunt the blame onto Republicans, instead of on Joe Wilson, where it truly belongs.

So you find Libby and Rove running around leaking classified information to reporters anonymously blameless because Wilson spoke up? I have to ask, do you find their actions honorable. Is this how you want other administrations to act when countering information?

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Quote:

So you find Libby and Rove running around leaking classified information to reporters anonymously blameless because Wilson spoke up? I have to ask, do you find their actions honorable. Is this how you want other administrations to act when countering information?

As I said earlier in the topic, that's yet to be proven, that Rove is the leaker.

Libby has been indicted, but again, not yet proven guilty.

In any case, this is not comparable to leaking missile technology to the Russians or Chinese. In the worst case scenario --assuming that Rove and Libby actually did reveal secrets to the media, which is not proven-- even if they did:

1) Joe Wilson already made revelation of Valerie Plame's CIA employment inevitable. His
editorial alone, regardless of what Rove, Libby, Armitage, or any other Republican did alone created the spotlight in the Niger mission that would have outed Plame as Wilson's spouse.

2) again, it is still a source of debate whether she was even a covert agent !

3) Regardless of whether Valerie Plame was a field agent or not, she is well beyond the number of years after which her covert CIA status can legally be revealed to the public.
For her CIA work to be so many years ago, so far beyond the statute of limitations of being "top secret", makes clear the falseness that her outing allegedly "jeapordizes national security" , as liberals hyperbolically wail.

and

4) Again, as discussed earlier, Rove's conversation with reporter Robert Novak was just a conversation between two freiends who happen to be Washington insiders, chatting about the latest Beltway gossip.
It was Novak who mentioned to Rove (not Rove passing info to Novak) a rumor that Wilson's wife worked for the CIA and had Joseph Wilson recruited by the CIA for the Niger yellow-cake investigation.
Novak said "I heard..."
And Rove responded (neither confirming nor denying the rumor) "Yeah, I heard that too."

5) Finally, nothing surprises me in Washington.
Well, not too often.
Monica Lewinsky and the semen-stained dress surprised me.

Rove and Libby used what leverage they had politically to spin things in their favor, just like Pelosi, Daschle, Reid, Gore, Hilary, Bill Clinton, Kennedy and the rest all do.

But it amuses me to see these lifelong anti-war pacifists and leftists wrap themselves in the flag and allege that Rove and the Bush White House defending themselves against Wilson's allegations, that these Republicans-on-the-defensive, and not Wilson himself, are responsible for the spotlight being shined on his wife's CIA role.

I don't see mentioning that Wilson's wife sent him on the Niger mission as the most high-road tactic by Republicans. But it is relevant in spotlighting that Wilson was picked for the Niger mission for reasons other than his qualifications. And also spotlights that perhaps he wasn't the most informed source to write a New York Times editorial accusing President Bush of being a liar.

I've seen far more sleazy, underhanded, and outright treasonous actions from the Democrat party, and I've highlighted many of them in various topics here.

But Republican or Democrat, politics is politics. Each time you say: "How DARE they...", I can show you an example where the Democrats have done the same, if not exceeded the alleged underhandedness of Rove and the other conservative puppetmasters. Democrats pull their own strings, and don't always put on a classy show.

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

As I said earlier in the topic, that's yet to be proven, that Rove is the leaker.

That is a legal determination. I think it's fair to say you don't need a legal determination to make a nonlegal judgement that Libby & Rove lied.

Quote:

In any case, this is not comparable to leaking missile technology to the Russians or Chinese.

According to the CIA, Plame was a NOC. Your making an assumption that she never worked on anything important.
Quote:

In the worst case scenario --assuming that Rove and Libby actually did reveal secrets to the media, which is not proven-- even if they did:

1) Joe Wilson already made revelation of Valerie Plame's CIA employment inevitable. His editorial alone, regardless of what Rove, Libby, Armitage, or any other Republican did alone created the spotlight in the Niger mission that would have outed Plame as Wilson's spouse.

The obvious flaw to your logic there is that if it was truly inevitable, Libby & Rove would never have had to bring it up when speaking to reporters. I actually doubt any reporter would have been able to find out that Plame suggested sending her husband to Niger beyond a gov't official with enough clearence willing to leak classified information.

Quote:

Considering that the CIA & Fitzgerald say she was, I'm not sure what more could be offered.

Quote:

3) Regardless of whether Valerie Plame was a field agent or not, she is well beyond the number of years after which her covert CIA status can legally be revealed to the public.
For her CIA work to be so many years ago, so far beyond the statute of limitations of being "top secret", makes clear the falseness that her outing allegedly "jeapordizes national security" , as liberals hyperbolically wail.

This was posted before & according to the CIA it wasn't true at the time. At this point I'm guessing it's no longer a lie but only because a couple of years have now passed.

Quote:

and

4) Again, as discussed earlier, Rove's conversation with reporter Robert Novak was just a conversation between two freiends who happen to be Washington insiders, chatting about the latest Beltway gossip.
It was Novak who mentioned to Rove (not Rove passing info to Novak) a rumor that Wilson's wife worked for the CIA and had Joseph Wilson recruited by the CIA for the Niger yellow-cake investigation.
Novak said "I heard..."
And Rove responded (neither confirming nor denying the rumor) "Yeah, I heard that too."

Rove had also talked with Cooper where he outed Plame. Novak learned about Plame from Libby. You seem to be picking the one conversation that supports what your saying but ignoring everything else.

Quote:

Well, not too often.

Rove and Libby used what leverage they had politically to spin things in their favor, just like Pelosi, Daschle, Reid, Gore, Hilary, Bill Clinton, Kennedy and the rest all do.

I'm unaware of any of them running around Washington outing NOC agents to reporters.

Quote:

But it amuses me to see these lifelong anti-war pacifists and leftists wrap themselves in the flag and allege that Rove and the Bush White House defending themselves against Wilson's allegations, that these Republicans-on-the-defensive, and not Wilson himself, are responsible for the spotlight being shined on his wife's CIA role.

I don't see mentioning that Wilson's wife sent him on the Niger mission as the most high-road tactic by Republicans. But it is relevant in spotlighting that Wilson was picked for the Niger mission for reasons other than his qualifications. And also spotlights that perhaps he wasn't the most informed source to write a New York Times editorial accusing President Bush of being a liar.

I never understood how it mattered to partisan Republicans that Plame suggested sending her husband to Niger. The CIA still approved his credentials. The documents still would have been fakes.

Quote:

I've seen far more sleazy, underhanded, and outright treasonous actions from the Democrat party, and I've highlighted many of them in various topics here.

I can remember when treason wasn't a term that was hastily & casually thrown out by some Republicans. It was reserved for those that did evil things... like telling our nation's enemies who our spies were.

Quote:

But Republican or Democrat, politics is politics. Each time you say: "How DARE they...", I can show you an example where the Democrats have done the same, if not exceeded the alleged underhandedness of Rove and the other conservative puppetmasters. Democrats pull their own strings, and don't always put on a classy show.

If somebody does something wrong, it's not less wrong because you feel somebody else did the same thing.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Quote:

That is a legal determination. I think it's fair to say you don't need a legal determination to make a nonlegal judgement that Libby & Rove lied.

But a lie is not a crime.

I could point to any number of incidents where Democrats such Gore, Kerry, Feinstein, etc., have lied.
And Republicans as well.

It's a fact of life that politicians on both sides bend the truth. Or outright distort and fabricate their own truth to suit their political ends.
I wish there were laws against lying, that would eliminate the partisan bickering on both sides and force our leaders to limit their rhetoric to the facts, to tone down the anger to the point that real core issues could be discussed and actually resolved.

But as it stands, a lie is not a crime.

Quote:

MAtter Eater Man said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

In any case, this is not comparable to leaking missile technology to the Russians or Chinese.

According to the CIA, Plame was a NOC. [You're] making an assumption that she never worked on anything important.

No, that's your misrepresentation of what I said. Her work was no doubt very important. But she was not a field agent or spy.

And even if she was a spy at some point in the past, her work was already 6 years in the past, 6 years beyond the statute of limitations where it would be a crime to reveal her covert activity, IF SHE EVER WAS a covert agent, when Rove allegedly exposed her.
(Although it appears now it was actually Richard Armitage, and not Rove.)

Quote:

Matter Eater Man said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

In the worst case scenario --assuming that Rove and Libby actually did reveal secrets to the media, which is not proven-- even if they did:

1) Joe Wilson already made revelation of Valerie Plame's CIA employment inevitable. His editorial alone, regardless of what Rove, Libby, Armitage, or any other Republican did alone created the spotlight in the Niger mission that would have outed Plame as Wilson's spouse.

The obvious flaw to your logic there is that if it was truly inevitable, Libby & Rove would never have had to bring it up when speaking to reporters. I actually doubt any reporter would have been able to find out that Plame suggested sending her husband to Niger beyond a gov't official with enough clearence willing to leak classified information.

Again: Richard Armitage is the apparent leaker, not Rove.

As G-man said above.

Quote:

Matter Eater Man said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

Considering that the CIA & Fitzgerald say she was, I'm not sure what more could be offered.

I've seen any number of higher-ups in the CIA appear on PBS NEWS Hour and various Sunday morning talk shows who dispute that Plame was ever a field agent.

Quote:

Matter Eater Man said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

This was posted before & according to the CIA it wasn't true at the time. At this point I'm guessing it's no longer a lie but only because a couple of years have now passed.

So it's not a lie, and not a crime on Rove's part.

Quote:

Matter Eater Man said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
and

4) Again, as discussed earlier, Rove's conversation with reporter Robert Novak was just a conversation between two friends who happen to be Washington insiders, chatting about the latest Beltway gossip.
Novak said "I heard..."

Rove had also talked with Cooper where he outed Plame. Novak learned about Plame from Libby. You seem to be picking the one conversation that supports what [you're] saying but ignoring everything else.

Cooper has his own credibility issues about being forthcoming with what he knew.

And likewise, Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward also has a credibility issue, where he apparently knew for months where the leak came from, but disclosed to no one while denying he knew.

Quote:

Matter Eater Man said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
Well, not too often.

I'm unaware of any of them running around Washington outing NOC agents to reporters.

Again, it's not proven that Plame was even a field agent, to be "outed".
And even if Plame was a field agent, her covert status was at least 6 years in the past, well past the point where her potential covert actions would be considered a security risk, and be protected from public disclosure by federal law.

Quote:

Matter Eater Man said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

I never understood how it mattered to partisan Republicans that Plame suggested sending her husband to Niger. The CIA still approved his credentials. The documents still would have been fakes.

Because Joseph Wilson's trip to Niger was far from a full and thorough investigation.

Wilson stayed at some plush hotel in Niger , made a few phone calls, and was visited by a few businessmen and diplomats.

A conclusive investigation by someone truly seeking absolute certainty on whether there was yellow-cake uranium solicited and/or sold to Saddam would have required a far more thorough investigation.

Quote:

Matter Eater Man said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

I can remember when treason wasn't a term that was hastily & casually thrown out by some Republicans. It was reserved for those that did evil things... like telling our nation's enemies who our spies were.

As already answered above, Plame, if she ever was a covert agent, was already 6 years past being a covert agent, and beyond the statute where her activities were considered top secret and banned from public disclosure.

Quote:

Matter Eater Man said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

If somebody does something wrong, it's not less wrong because you feel somebody else did the same thing.

As I made clear above, Rove has not clearly done anything wrong. He has not broken laws, or he would have been indicted with Libby.

And even Libby may be found innocent. As G-man said earlier in the topic, to prove a case against Libby will be very difficult.

There's a lot of rhetoric coming from both sides, that while legally and morally permitted, is in questionable judgement and taste.

John Kerry mentioning Dick Cheney's daughter is a lesbian during a presidential debate, for example.

Senator Dick Durbin, for example. Comparing American soldiers in Iraq to "Nazi storm troopers, Soviet Gulags and the Pol Pot regime", giving pre-packaged distorted rhetoric to the Arab media, which arguably increases danger and violence against our soldiers stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

DNC Chairman Howard Dean, for example, saying there's "No Way we can win in Iraq." Undermining the morale of our troops with defeatist rhetoric, and emboldening insurgents to attack U.S. forces.

Legally permitted. But in questionable judgement and taste.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:Considering that the CIA & Fitzgerald say she was [a covert operative], I'm not sure what more could be offered

That's a little like arguing that just because the cop and the D.A. say you're guilty, you're guilty and we don't need a trial.

the G-man #537320 2006-03-23 12:24 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:Considering that the CIA & Fitzgerald say she was [a covert operative], I'm not sure what more could be offered

That's a little like arguing that just because the cop and the D.A. say you're guilty, you're guilty and we don't need a trial.

No, that would be prejudging legal guilt or innocence. This is a bunch of partisans saying no crime was commited after it's been established that there has been.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
This is a bunch of partisans saying no crime was commited after it's been established that there has been.

But it hasn't been established that a crime was committed.

The only way you can establish a crime was committed, as a matter of law, is when there has been a conviction.

There hasn't been a conviction for outing a CIA covert operative. In fact, to date, no one has even been charged with that.

In one sentence you acknowlege that taking the word only of the agency and the prosecutor would be prejudging guilt. In the other, you claim that the elements of guilt have been established.

How are you not the one acting as a partisan?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
The important thing is that we get Bush!

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Poor choice of words on my part G-man. Instead of crime I should have said that Plame's status with the CIA has been determined as a NOC. The CIA has the paperwork & documentation on Plame, Fitzgerald presumably checked that at the start.

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Then perhaps her husband shouldn't have made her public.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

This just hit the internet at Raw Story, and TWN has confirmed the essential points through a source close to Rove:

According to several Pentagon sources close to Rove and others familiar with the inquiry, Bush's senior adviser tipped off Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald to information that led to the recent "discovery" of 250 pages of missing email from the office of Vice President Dick Cheney.

Rove has been in the crosshairs of Fitzgerald's investigation into the outing of covert CIA officer Valerie Plame Wilson for what some believe to be retaliation against her husband, former U.S. Ambassador to Gabon, Joseph Wilson. Wilson had been an ardent critic of pre-war Iraq intelligence.

While these sources did not provide any details regarding what type of arrangements Rove's attorney Robert Luskin may have made with the special prosecutor's office, if any, they were able to provide some information regarding what Rove imparted to Fitzgerald's team. The individuals declined to go on the record out of concern for their jobs.

According to one source close to the case, Rove is providing information on deleted emails, erased hard drives and other types of obstruction by staff and other officials in the Vice President's office. Pentagon sources close to Rove confirmed this account.

None would name the staffers and/or officials whom Rove is providing information about. They did, however, explain that the White House computer system has "real time backup" servers and that while emails were deleted from computers, they were still retrievable from the backup system. By providing the dates and recipient information of the deleted emails, sources say, Rove was able to chart a path for Fitzgerald directly into the office of the Vice President.

Rove giving Patrick Fitzgerald a path into 250 pages of deleted and/or previously unprovided electronic communications from and within the Vice President's office must give serious heartburn to Scooter Libby's defense team, being paid for in part by this cabal of supporters.

Fitzgerald, as I have written before, is setting a high standard for how public officials should conduct themselves.

We have about nine months before the Scooter Libby trial starts. The real question is whether Fitzgerald will widen the pool of those charged with crimes -- and it's still too early to tell.

The Washington Note
Earlier on it was speculated that Rove not sharing Libby's fate was a squeeze tactic on Fitzgerald's part. This suggests that it may have worked.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Intelligence leak timeline under scrutiny

WASHINGTON - The White House faced a barrage of questions Friday over the timing of President Bush's decision to declassify intelligence that was then leaked to the press by Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff.

In a tense briefing, White House spokesman Scott McClellan was asked repeatedly to explain his statement from three years ago that portions of a prewar intelligence document on Iraq were declassified on July 18, 2003.

Ten days earlier, Cheney's top aide, I. Lewis Libby, had leaked snippets of intelligence from the document to New York Times reporter Judith Miller to rebut allegations by Bush administration critic Joseph Wilson, Libby told prosecutors, according to documents revealed this week.

Libby, Cheney's former chief of staff, said he had passed the information to Miller after being told to do so by Cheney, who advised Libby that Bush had authorized it, said a court filing by Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald.

McClellan told reporters July 18, 2003, that the material being released on Iraq ''was officially declassified today.'' On Friday, McClellan interpreted his words to mean that is when the material was ''officially released.''

Asked when it was declassified, McClellan refused to answer, saying the matter was part of Fitzgerald's ongoing CIA leak probe that resulted in Libby's indictment.

Libby faces charges of perjury, obstruction and lying to the FBI regarding the disclosure that Valerie Plame, Wilson's wife, worked for the CIA. He is accused of making false statements about how he learned of her CIA employment and what he told reporters about her.

Plame's CIA employment was disclosed by conservative columnist Robert Novak eight days after her husband, Wilson, accused the Bush administration of manipulating prewar intelligence to exaggerate the Iraqi threat from weapons of mass destruction.

The declassification issue marks the second time in the CIA leak probe that the White House's previous public statements have been called into question.

After checking with Libby and presidential adviser Karl Rove, McClellan said in 2003 that neither aide was involved in the leak of the CIA identity of Wilson's wife. Rove remains under investigation in the leak probe.

John Podesta, a former chief of staff in the Clinton White House, said, ''Scott McClellan's credibility isn't just in tatters. It is more like confetti.''

Administration critics said Bush's actions were a misuse of the declassification process.

Bush's ''selective declassification of highly sensitive intelligence for political purposes is wrong,'' said House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-San Francisco.

Pelosi said a presidential executive order requires a uniform system for classifying, declassifying and safeguarding national security information and asked, ''Why didn't President Bush follow this protocol before authorizing the selective leak of highly sensitive intelligence?''

Rep. Rush Holt, D-N.J., called for a House Intelligence Committee investigation and for the president to explain his actions in person to Congress.

Last year, a commission appointed by Bush to look into the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq cautioned against leaks for political purposes.

''Policymakers who leak intelligence to the press in order to gain political advantage... may do so without fully appreciating the potential harm that can result to sources and methods,'' the commission said.

It said the intelligence community should consider implementing ''a widespread, modern-day equivalent of the 'Loose Lips Sink Ships' campaign to educate individuals about their legal obligations and possible penalties to safeguard intelligence information.''

On Friday, McClellan said there's a difference between providing declassified information when it's in the public interest, and leaking classified information that could jeopardize national security.

''Now, there are Democrats out there that fail to recognize that distinction or refuse to recognize that distinction,'' said McClellan. ''They are simply engaging in crass politics.''

The intelligence Libby was authorized to leak to Miller stated that Iraq was ''vigorously trying to procure'' uranium. Administration officials said in the run-up to the war they were concerned about Iraq building a nuclear weapon.

Monterey Country Herald
Why Bush did this declassification in such a secret way is a presidential first I think. It doesn't really make sense why he went that route either. If it was a case of rebutting Wilson, why the cloak & dagger? Were there other elements, like outing Plame that Bush & Cheney chose to secretly slip some reporters classified information?

Fair play!
the G-man #537327 2006-04-08 6:57 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Here is how the filing by special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald describes what happened (page
23):

Defendant [Libby] testified that the Vice President later advised him that the President had authorized defendant to disclose the relevant portions of
the NIE [National Intelligence Estimate]. Defendant testified that he also spoke to David Addington, then Counsel to the Vice President, whom defendant considered to be an expert in national security law, and Mr. Addington opined that Presidential authorization to publicly disclose a document amounted to a declassification of the document.

In other words, this was an authorized disclosure of information, the opposite of a leak.

These reports have served as pornography for the Angry Left, which has constructed an elaborate fantasy world around the Plame kerfuffle. In fact, it is nothing more than a battle over procedure.

Libby is seeking to compel the prosecution to turn over certain information to the defense; Fitzgerald is resisting. Among the information Fitzgerald has so far refused to turn over, by the way, are the two facts supposedly at the center of the case: whether Valerie Plame was a covert agent (extensive evidence on the public record comes close to proving that she was not), and who "leaked" Plame's identity to columnist Bob Novak.

More than anything else, the whole kerfuffle is a reflection on the way anti-Bush animus has fed into the adversarial culture of post-Watergate journalism in America. First the New York Times beat the drums for a special prosecutor to investigate who provided accurate information to reporters, albeit supposedly in violation of the law. Among the results: A Times reporter went to jail.

Now we witness the astonishing spectacle of newspapers trying to spin a scandal out of a legal disclosure of information to the press, as if releasing facts means having something to hide.

Maybe we can't expect better from political partisans, but journalists are supposed to stand for the neutral principle of the public's right to know. If they pervert that principle in the pursuit of a partisan program, they will find it harder to assert it when it serves their purposes, whatever those purposes may be.

the G-man #537328 2006-04-09 8:47 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

...Now we witness the astonishing spectacle of newspapers trying to spin a scandal out of a legal disclosure of information to the press, as if releasing facts means having something to hide.

The way the President & VP released their selective "facts" indicates they do have something to hide. They chose to be sneaky when they didn't have to. Why?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
What is being described here is an ordinary journalistic transaction, in which a source gives information to a reporter in the hope of generating a favorable story.

Somehow reporters are now "scandalized" by the practice of journalism when it works to the benefit of the U.S. government... or at least the Bush administration.

the G-man #537330 2006-04-10 10:11 PM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
All I know is we need to take Bush down no matter what.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

...Is a President, on the eve of his reelection campaign, legally entitled to ward off political embarrassment and conceal past failures in the exercise of his office by unilaterally and informally declassifying selected -- as well as false and misleading -- portions of a classified National Intelligence Estimate that he has previously refused to declassify, in order to cause such information to be secretly disclosed under false pretenses in the name of a "former Hill staffer" to a single reporter, intending that reporter to publish such false and misleading information in a prominent national newspaper?

The answer is obvious: No. Such a misuse of authority is the very essence of a criminal conspiracy to defraud the United States. It is also precisely the abuse of executive power that led to the impeachment of Richard M. Nixon.

Common Dreams

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
How is what Nixon did (covering up a clear felony, to wit, a burglary) at all similar to a President choosing to allow a member of his administration to release information to a journalist?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
There is quite a long lead in to what I posted from that column G-man. (for those that are interested, give it a read) I would imagine like the Nixon supporters at the time, you see things differently.

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
There is quite a long lead in to what I posted from that column G-man. (for those that are interested, give it a read) I would imagine like the Nixon supporters at the time, you see things differently.

You're a facist! But, I'm sure, like the Nazis in the time of Hitler, you'll deny it.

You're playing such childish rhetorical games. I'm havine more trouble taking you seriously every time you post.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Just for the heck of it, I decided to read your artical to see if the entire artical was anything more that exadurated rhetoric. Here's what I found.

Quote:

The latest in a parade of horrors emanating from the Bush administration appeared Thursday in the form of a revelation

On Friday, in a press conference that bore a striking similarity to Abbott and Costello's "Who's on First?"

the increasingly robotic McClellan said

At this point I got bored, but the jist of the artical is that it doesn't really matter if it's legal or not, we hate Bush, therefore anything he does is evil. Amen.

Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard