Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
From Newsweek, an interesting article that tends to lead one to believe that Bush won't pardon Libby:

Vice President Dick Cheney’s former chief of staff does not qualify to even be considered for a presidential pardon under Justice Department guidelines.

From the day he took office, Bush seems to have followed those guidelines religiously. He's taken an exceedingly stingy approach to pardons, granting only 113 in six years, mostly for relatively minor fraud, embezzlement and drug cases dating back more than two decades. Bush’s pardons are “fewer than any president in 100 years,” according to Margaret Love, former pardon attorney at the Justice Department.

Following the furor over President Bill Clinton’s last-minute pardon of fugitive financier Marc Rich (among others), Bush made it clear he wasn’t interested in granting many pardons. “We were basically told [by then White House counsel and now Attorney General Alberto Gonzales] that there weren’t going to be pardons—or if there were, there would be very few,” recalls one former White House lawyer who asked not to be identified talking about internal matters.

The president has since indicated he intended to go by the book in granting what few pardons he’d hand out—considering only requests that had first been reviewed by the Justice Department under a series of publicly available guidelines.

Those regulations, which are discussed on the Justice Department Web site at www.usdoj.gov/pardon, would seem to make a Libby pardon a nonstarter in George W. Bush’s White House. They “require a petitioner to wait a period of at least five years after conviction or release from confinement (whichever is later) before filing a pardon application,” according to the Justice Web site.

Of course, there is nothing that requires Bush to follow these guidelines in reviewing a pardon for Libby (whose lawyer, Ted Wells, stated on the courthouse steps Tuesday that he intended to push for a retrial, adding that he has “every confidence that Mr. Libby will be vindicated.”)

Still, Bush himself publicly reaffirmed his determination to stick to the Justice pardon guidelines as recently as last month.

None of this means that, in the last days of his presidency, Bush won’t feel differently about Libby (who ironically once worked as a lawyer for Marc Rich in an earlier effort to win him a pardon). Libby's supporters will argue forcefully that he was unjustly prosecuted and others, like former deputy secretary of State Richard Armitage (who first leaked Valerie Plame Wilson’s identity to columnist Robert Novak) were more culpable and should have been charged. Cheney—who once praised Libby as “one of the most capable and talented individuals I have ever known”—may well make a personal plea to the president.

But for now, one intriguing clue as to White House thinking came from a well-known Washington lobbyist and White House ally who was steering reporters away from the pardon idea this week. “The guidance I get is Libby doesn’t qualify under the guidelines,” the lobbyist, who asked not to be identified talking about sensitive matters, told a reporter in a TV “green room” this week. The lobbyist wouldn’t say who provided the guidance. But the fine print of the Justice Department guidelines may prove the toughest barrier for Libby to overcome.

Of course, as the article notes, Bush could still pardon Libby. However, he would be unlikely to do so until the end of his presidency, at which point Libby will have had over a year in which to cut a deal against the President. So if the fear for Bush were that Libby will somehow turn "state's evidence" on him or Cheney, then why would he wait?

The irony here, of course, is that MEM is convinced Libby is guilty but seems to actually want Bush to pardon Libby, all to create the inference, right or wrong, that he did so to keep Libby from "spilling the beans."

the G-man #537617 2007-03-11 10:07 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Just to clarify G-man's take of my posts. I don't want or think Bush should pardon Libby. I think Bush will pardon him after the 08 election to minimize any damage such a pardon would do. I'm speculating that Libby did the dirty work for Bush & Cheney & is willing to wait for his pardon out of loyalty to his boss & party.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
But how does pardoning him a year and a half from now minimize the damage? If Libby had damage to do, the time to do it would be now, to cut a deal and avoid potential jail time and thousands in legal fees on the appeal.

Bush pardoning Libby at the end of his term would only make sense if Libby, in fact, had no dirt on the administration.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
On Libby Pardon, Giuliani Breaks With Conservatives
Rudy Giuliani doesn't think Lewis Libby should be pardoned, at least not yet.

"The pardon power is a very, very important power that the president has, and it has to be exercised very judiciously and very carefully. You certainly shouldn't speculate about it while a criminal case is still ongoing. It seems to me you let it go through the process."

He added: "It seems to me you let it go through the process."

Mr. Giuliani is a former federal prosecutor who ... briefly ran the pardon office when he served in the Justice Department. "I know more about pardons than anybody needs to know about them," he said.

But he has also been on the other side: Mr. Giuliani prosecuted the commodities broker Marc Rich for tax evasion when Mr. Giuliani was the U.S. attorney for New York's Southern District. President Clinton pardoned Mr. Rich shortly before he left office in 2001, and Mr. Giuliani, then the mayor of New York, was so upset that he canceled a meeting with Senator Clinton weeks after she was sworn in

the G-man #537620 2007-03-13 11:20 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
But how does pardoning him a year and a half from now minimize the damage? If Libby had damage to do, the time to do it would be now, to cut a deal and avoid potential jail time and thousands in legal fees on the appeal.

Bush pardoning Libby at the end of his term would only make sense if Libby, in fact, had no dirt on the administration.

The damage that would be minimized would concern the 08 elections. A pardon before the election will help Dems & hurt Republicans. I think that's why we're seeing Rudy yapping about a potential Libby pardon. He's covering his ass.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Rush Limbaugh admits HOTS for 'Babe' Valerie Plame: "If she weren't married ....."

The thrice-married-and-now-single Limbaugh not only commented on Plame's looks, but told his audience he'd have no problem romantically pursuing her if her marital status were different.

"I have to tell you something, folks," Limbaugh said Friday during his nationally broadcast program. "After all is said and done, I, frankly, don't care. This woman is a babe."

"This woman is a babe, and if she weren't married, I don't care what she's done or what her political affiliation is, I'd be throwing my hat in the ring," Limbaugh said

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
she's noice...

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Yet another loser who's been married 3 times. It brings to mind the movie "Borat" where his sister is teasing his cousin saying "you not going to get any of this"

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Fitzgerald says Plame was covert agent; Cheney further scrutinized
Published: Tuesday May 29, 2007
Special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald has asserted in new court filings that Valerie Plame was indeed a covert agent at the time of her outing, according to a Newsweek report filed by Michael Isikoff and Mark Hosenball.

"In new court filings, special counsel Patrick Fitzgerald has finally resolved one of the most disputed issues at the core of the long-running CIA leak controversy: Valerie Plame Wilson, he asserts, was a 'covert' CIA officer who repeatedly traveled overseas using a 'cover identity' in order to disguise her relationship with the agency," Newsweek reports.

Wilson's covert status, which is substantiated in an employment report filed by Fitzgerlad, was cited as part of a recommendation to sentence former Cheney aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby to up to three years in prison.

According to that report, Plame traveled "sometimes in true name and sometimes in alias -- but always using cover -- whether official or non-official (NOC) -- with no ostensible relationship to the CIA."

The report added, "When traveling overseas, Ms. Wilson always traveled under a cover identity...At the time of the initial unauthorized disclosure in the media of Ms. Wilson’s employment relationship with the CIA on 14 July 2003, Ms. Wilson was a covert CIA employee for whom the CIA was taking affirmative measures to conceal her intelligence relationship to the United States."

The finding severely hampers a key defense by Libby's lawyers and supporters who have claimed that, since Plame was not covert, Libby had commited no "underlying crime" in revealing Plame's identity.

Furthermore, Washington Post columnist Dan Froomkin noted that Fitzgerald's court filing further points to Vice President Cheney's involvement in the outing of Plame.

"Special counsel Patrick J. Fitzgerald has made it clearer than ever that he was hot on the trail of a coordinated campaign to out CIA agent Valerie Plame," writes Froomkin, "until that line of investigation was cut off by the repeated lies from Vice President Cheney's former chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby."

Froomkin adds that in response to charges that Libby's prosecution was unwarranted, "the special counsel evidently felt obliged to put Libby's crime in context. And that context is Dick Cheney."

RAW

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Valerie Plame has now given three different versions of her story to three different investigating bodies:

Mrs. Wilson told the CIA Inspector General that she suggested her husband for the trip, she told our committee staff that she could not remember whether she did or her boss did, and told the House committee, emphatically, that she did not suggest him.

I wonder if her testimony to the Senate and House committees was given under oath. If so, maybe she should be in a cell next to Libby.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Valerie Plame has now given three different versions of her story to three different investigating bodies

well she is a covert spy.

Bow ties are coool.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Perhaps her answers were to three different versions of a question. If she was asked if she sent her husband to Niger & said no emphatically & then was asked from a different investigative body if she suggested sending her husband & said yes, well I don't see the National Review going out of its way to make such distinctions.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That's not a particularly compelling hypothetical distinction, Chris.

I'm not defending Libby here. I'm just saying if lying to investigators under oath is perjury for one, it should be perjury for both.

the G-man #537629 2007-06-05 1:27 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

the G-man #537630 2007-06-05 4:35 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Libby Gets 30 Months in Prison

Former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby left a federal courtroom with his wife Tuesday after being sentenced to 30 months in prison and a $250,000 fine for lying and obstructing the CIA leak investigation.

Libby, departing in a car without commenting to reporters, didn't begin his prison sentence immediately. Judge Reggie B. Walton said he saw no reason to allow Libby to delay his prison time pending appeal and planned to rule later after reviewing written arguments.

Libby stood calmly before a packed courtroom when his sentencing was announced.

"People who occupy these types of positions, where they have the welfare and security of nation in their hands, have a special obligation to not do anything that might create a problem," U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton said.

the G-man #537631 2007-06-05 5:00 PM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Libby Gets 30 Months in Prison

Former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby left a federal courtroom with his wife Tuesday after being sentenced to 30 months in prison and a $250,000 fine for lying and obstructing the CIA leak investigation.

Libby, departing in a car without commenting to reporters, didn't begin his prison sentence immediately. Judge Reggie B. Walton said he saw no reason to allow Libby to delay his prison time pending appeal and planned to rule later after reviewing written arguments.

Libby stood calmly before a packed courtroom when his sentencing was announced.

"People who occupy these types of positions, where they have the welfare and security of nation in their hands, have a special obligation to not do anything that might create a problem," U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton said.

So much for bringing integrity back to washington.
For all that's said about Clinton, no one of his people was ever indicted (or at least never imprisoned) unlike Nixon Reagan and Bush jr.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Um, Ray, you DO realize that a federal court found that CLINTON HIMSELF committed perjury, found him in contempt of court, fined him and disbarred him?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
RayfactTM:
Quote:

Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said:
For all that's said about Clinton, no one of his people was ever indicted

Truth:

Clinton Agriculture Secretary Mike Espy was indicted on charges he accepted illegal gifts and lied to investigators. On Oct. 3, 1994, Espy resigned amid charges he accepted gifts and perks barred by federal ethics laws and rules.

Housing and Urban Development Secretary Henry Cisneros was indicted for conspiracy, obstruction of justice, fraud and perjury. Evidence including 40 hours of secretly recorded telephone calls, IRS records and canceled checks suggests to prosecutors that Cisneros committed perjury and conspired with his ex-mistress and others to lie about the hush money.

Clinton Associate Attorney General Webster Hubbell was found guilty of federal mail fraud and tax evasion sentenced to a 21-month sentence

And that's not even counting Clinton National Security Advisor Sandy Berger, who was convicted last year of stealing records from the government archives.

the G-man #537634 2007-06-05 5:40 PM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
oops. my bad. still, more with reagan.

Bow ties are coool.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said:
oops. my bad. still, more with reagan.

Plus didn't some of those people get jobs in Bush jrs administration?

Fair play!
Matter-eater Man #537636 2007-06-05 10:48 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Even assuming that to be the case, aren't you the guy who said he wouldn't object to a convicted Clinton staffer getting a job in a Hillary administration?

the G-man #537637 2007-06-05 11:13 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
You'll note that I didn't say one way or the other about it being right or wrong. I just thought I remembered Bush Jr. giving jobs to some of those that his dad pardoned during the IranContra scandal. I'll have to do some googling though.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
It looks like accountability isn't going to be an issue among the GOP candidates...
Quote:

Republican candidates leave open possibility of Libby pardon
Nick Juliano
Published: Tuesday June 5, 2007

Republican frontrunners said at Tuesday night’s debate they would pardon former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, who was sentenced Tuesday to 30 months in jail for perjury.

Calling Libby’s sentence "grossly excessive," former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani touted the pardons he recommended as a federal prosecutor in the Reagan administration and suggested Vice President Dick Cheney’s former chief of staff could be up for a pardon in his administration as well.

"A man’s life is at stake," Giuliani said, arguing that the fact special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald did not convict anyone of an underlying crime in Libby’s case presented a strong case for a pardon.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney accused Fitzgerald of abusing his prosecutorial discretion in pursuing a case he said was more about politics than justice. Although he didn’t issue a single pardon overseeing his commonwealth, Romney said Libby’s case was worth looking at.

RAW

It's handy having people in your administration who are willing to commit perjury & obstruct justice

Fair play!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I'm sure Hillary would agree.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quite a series of flip flops on Zick's part.

A few weeks/months ago, he said it would be okay if Hillary put convicted criminal Sandy Berger in her administration.

Today, he seems to criticize the Bush administration for (he thinks; he has to google it) doing the same thing.

Then, faced with the seeming inconsistency, he says he wasn't criticizing Bush.

About two hours later, after Raw Story tells him how to think, he, in fact, does criticize them.

Gee, you'd almost think he was a partisan fanatic or something.

the G-man #537641 2007-06-06 3:51 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Nope, you doing your usual schtick.
Here's what I said via Berger...
Quote:

#811763 Re: Sandy Berger - Mon Jan 15 2007 11:15 PM
OK, I obviously need to say more about Berger. He isn't above the law, he deserved the punishment he got for breaking the law. Considering the findings of the Justice Department I wouldn't have a problem with Berger taking a job with another administration. To be specific, it couldn't be anything of high rank. It's an unwritten rule for either party that the top spots don't go for people to have records no matter the circumstances. I agree with that standard. If there is any evidence that he did more than what the Justice Department found then I would say no future job & that he wasn't punished enough.

and what I thought I remembered than now googled...

Quote:

Elliott Abrams, an assistant secretary of state under Reagan, pleaded guilty in 1991 to two counts of withholding evidence from Congress (i.e., lying) over his role in the Iran-Contra affair. Bush I pardoned him; Bush II has appointed him to the National SecurityCouncil as director of its office for democracy, human rights and international operations. The post requires no Senate approval.

FAIR.org

Btw are you still unsure of Libby's guilt G-man?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
President Bush has commuted Scooter Libby's sentence.

I'm sure the partisans will spin this as some sort of corruption of the legal system. However, this is not the same as a pardon. Libby is still guilty. But, politics aside, given Libby's age (57) and lack of prior record this new sentence is not out of line. He will pay a $250,000.00 fine and serve two years probation. If he violates probation he can still go to jail (as proven recently by Paris Hilton). He will remain, for all intents and purposes, a convicted felon.

The only thing that's changed is the jail sentence.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
that's pretty lame G.....if that was a dem you'd be upset right now.

personally I never thought what he did deserved jail but a judge did.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Originally Posted By: PJP
that's pretty lame G.....if that was a dem you'd be upset right now.

I dunno. I never thought Clinton should be in jail, either for when HE lied under oath.

Quote:
personally I never thought what he did deserved jail but a judge did.

Yeah, but judges get overturned. I've seen people who physically injured, or even killed, people get their sentences reduced.

You, yourself, admit that you didn't think he deserved jail. So why is it "lame" to point out that this is not a wholly unreasonable modification of his sentence?

Oh, and by the way:

Originally Posted By: the G-man
President Bush has commuted Scooter Libby's sentence. I'm sure the partisans will spin this ....

Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

Fuck you Bush!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:

"Nonviolent offenders should not be serving hard time in our prisons. They need to be diverted from our prison system."

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Quote:

"Nonviolent offenders should not be serving hard time in our prisons. They need to be diverted from our prison system."

it's not the same thing. It's not a reform of laws that can apply to everyone blindly, it's bush using his power to get his friend out of jail and it's almost like a subtle threat that going after his people is futile because he's willing to abuse his power like no other president before him (see also: signing statements).

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Libby is still a convicted felon. He's still on probation, meaning that he could end up back in jail if, at any time, he violates his probation. He has to pay a quarter of a million dollar fine. He incurred thousands, if not millions, in personal legal expenses.

I'm not sure how any of the above sends a message of futility or being above the law, except to people who are already convinced that Bush is some sort of neo-Nazi anti-Christ anyway.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Libby is still a convicted felon. He's still on probation, meaning that he could end up back in jail if, at any time, he violates his probation.

Yeah I'm sure he won't be able to get a good job and he'll have to avoid missing curfew for fear of probation. \:rollseyes

Quote:
He has to pay a quarter of a million dollar fine. He incurred thousands, if not millions, in personal legal expenses.

Oh, no he has to pay the high priced lawyers he hired to defend him, that's a real tragedy.
And you're talking about him buying his way out of jail as if it's a fair punishment.

Quote:
I'm not sure how any of the above sends a message of futility or being above the law, except to people who are already convinced that Bush is some sort of neo-Nazi anti-Christ anyway.

No jail. He broke the law and a friend signed him out of prison. it's favoritism, it's abuse of power, and it's pretty shameful.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Its one thing to argue the president was wrong to grant clemency because it sends a message of favoritism. That's a matter of personal opinion, if not personal bias. However, that's a far cry, given the facts, from establishing that this somehow sends a message to anyone that "going after [Bush's] people" is futile.

Probation is no joke. If someone one probation gets arrested (not even convicted) for even a petit offense they can be found in violation of the probation and sent back to jail for their full sentence. Its not just a curfew.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

Bow ties are coool.
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I don't think Libby should have gotten out, from Bush's commuting his sentence.

But Libby did spend several months in jail up to this point.

A quick comparison:

• (crime committed: )
    Bill Clinton: Perjury, lied to a grand jury.
    Scooter Libby: Perjury, lied to a grand jury.

(punishment: )
    Bill Clinton: No jail time. Disbarred as lawyer.
    Scooter Libby: Sentenced, commuted to probation, but could serve jail time if violates probation.

(Democrat opinion: )
    Bill Clinton: Despite clear guilt, should not be punished.
    Scooter Libby: Same crime, but warrants the most severe punishment.

No partisanship. None at all.

You were making a point about justice, M E M ?

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

"Nonviolent offenders should not be serving hard time in our prisons. They need to be diverted from our prison system."-Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton

Originally Posted By: Ray Adler
it's not the same thing. It's not a reform of laws that can apply to everyone blindly, it's bush …willing to abuse his power like no other president before him

How can you say its not the same thing, or that Hillary’s position is for “equal” reform, given that President Clinton granted executive clemency to 16 a Puerto Rican terror group that killed four people?

Even the ultraliberal New York Times said it looked politically motivated:
  • The suspicion is rampant that his motivation was a political effort to please the Puerto Rican community that is crucial to Mrs. Clinton's hopes in the coming Senate race from New York.

Given this, how can you claim that Bush's actions are unprecedented? Or assume that Hillary is somehow more morally or legally consistent?

Or is it simply your position that clemency should be reserved only for politcally connected murderers?

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
I don't think Libby should have gotten out, from Bush's commuting his sentence.

But Libby did spend several months in jail up to this point.

A quick comparison:

• (crime committed: )
    Bill Clinton: Perjury, lied to a grand jury.
    Scooter Libby: Perjury, lied to a grand jury.

(punishment: )
    Bill Clinton: No jail time. Disbarred as lawyer.
    Scooter Libby: Sentenced, served jail time, but not his full sentence.

(Democrat opinion: )
    Bill Clinton: Despite clear guilt, should not be punished.
    Scooter Libby: Same crime, but warrants the most severe punishment.

No partisanship. None at all.

You were making a point about justice, M E M ?

We will never see a president/former president in jail. The whole impeachment was his punishment, he's now one of only two presidents to be impeached.
This is bush getting a friend out of prison. Also the lie told matters to people. lying about cheating on his wife is different than leaking the name of a CIA agent (or being involved).

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Point of information, as noted in detail on this thread (a thread you have actively participated in and presumably read), Libby was neither convicted nor charged with "leaking the name of a CIA agent."

If we're going to manufacture convictions, WB (or anyone else) might as well dredge up allegations against Clinton involving Whitewater, illegal fundraising and even murder.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but let's keep them based on facts not wishful thinking.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
By the way, what about the real "leaker" of Plame's "identity," Richard Armitage? Is he ever going to face "justice"?

Gee, given that he was never prosecuted, you'd almost think Plame wasn't even "covert" in the first place. ;\)

Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard